As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The great hypecane of 2012 [Hurricane Sandy]

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    ugh central virginia is inevitably going to lose power for a few days

i am prepared with a copy of hyperion, some super good weed, and an electric lamp

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    By the looks of it and the upper level air data it appears she is well on her way to becoming a hybrid storm.

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Global ... warming?

GET OUT. D:<

*Meteorologically speaking it is impossible to tie a single event or even one single hurricane season to global warming. Currently, despite what some climatologists claim, the current meteorological thoughts are that we have yet to see a significant enough change to the annual number and intensity of storms to yet see any positive or negative effects that global warming has had on the Northern Atlantic Hurricane Season. The current belief is that if and when global warming does start to affect the hurricane season we may see more storms but we will see less major tropical cyclones in the Atlantic. The traditional hurricane season in the Atlantic runs until mid-November so although this is a late season storm it still is in a period that we have not uncommonly seen storms form and affect the east coast.

Global warming, got it.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Global ... warming?

GET OUT. D:<

*Meteorologically speaking it is impossible to tie a single event or even one single hurricane season to global warming. Currently, despite what some climatologists claim, the current meteorological thoughts are that we have yet to see a significant enough change to the annual number and intensity of storms to yet see any positive or negative effects that global warming has had on the Northern Atlantic Hurricane Season. The current belief is that if and when global warming does start to affect the hurricane season we may see more storms but we will see less major tropical cyclones in the Atlantic. The traditional hurricane season in the Atlantic runs until mid-November so although this is a late season storm it still is in a period that we have not uncommonly seen storms form and affect the east coast.

Global warming, got it.

It isn't global warming until the eagles start attacking!

• Options
    You know what would be awesome? If mother nature ends up just trolling New England with this storm and it does push off at the last minute, though I still see no sign of this with the current model solutions. I am betting on a New Jersey landfall at the moment.

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    The Eagles are always attacking.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    MV5BNzIwMTc0NTI0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTk4Mzc3Mw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    By the looks of it and the upper level air data it appears she is well on her way to becoming a hybrid storm.

The news keeps calling it "Franken-storm". That's bullshit. It's a large storm made up of several smaller storms that came together.

They should be calling it "Voltron-storm".

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i dont want to lose power though that is unlikely... i have like 60 dollars of beef in my fridge!

poo
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    man

the barn at my dad's just got its updates done, at an appropriate-but-still-spendy price

i hope to hell it doesn't get shredded by this thing or my dad will be miserable

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i dont want to lose power though that is unlikely... i have like 60 dollars of beef in my fridge!

Better start chowin' it down!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »

Better start chowin' it down!

Probably could get through it before there's a threat of a power outage. The time it takes to do so will depend on how many people it's feeding and whether it's expensive or cheap cuts.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    $60 in beef is a really relative number. That could be one steak or a shitload of hamburger.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    If it's all hamburger, freezing might be an option, that'll certainly buy you a couple more hours. Really though, if you know a storm is on the way and that it could kill your power, it's probably better to burn through the stuff that will perish quickly without electronic means of preservation. If you do lose power, then you don't have to worry about losing food in the event that it takes awhile for the power company to get things back online. if nothing happens, oh well, on the upside it didn't get a chance to spoil or get freezer burned.

• Options
    microwave up all that beef and fuck it

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Sounds like it's time for the traditional halloween barbecue. Alternately, the traditional eat this shit before power goes out party.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL is starting to feel the effects of sandy right now...

39313_358632137559810_2017667185_n.jpg

Models are still showing a bleak picture for the Northeast. One of them, the Euro, shows Sandy's pressure as low as 940mb at land fall! That is pretty crazy and if it were not for the fact that this storm will be well on its way to becoming extratropical at that time it would be hitting the coast as a Cat 4. While I think the Euro is over doing this storm it has been the most consistent with her. Despite the low central pressure, she will likely only pack the winds of a Cat 1 hurricane but will have a pretty gnarly storm surge.

554094_10151292037364874_1112881378_n.png

• Options
    It should be noted that tropical storm warnings extend from the everglades in Florida all the way up to Georgetown, SC. This means that tropical storm force conditions are on going or expected with in the next 48 hours. The tropical storm watch extends as far north as the boarder with North Carolina and Virginia.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    How will this affect football

• Options
    The first of voluntary evacuations is being issued for the New Jersey coast. More info can be found here: http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/7b04391e56ef4fcd9b81028cf0d9992e/AP-NJ--Super-Storm-NJ

While winds are only 75mph in Sandy, making it a minimal cat 1, she is expected to pick up some steam and strength before Sunday's likely landfall. It should be noted that while the wind will pose a big issue in a widespread area it is not the primary focus of emergency planers. Sandy's biggest threat will be the large scale and widespread flooding. This storm posses the threat to be the most significant flooding event in the Northeast in the past several decades. This will be felt on the shore by storm surge (mostly north of the eye) and in land by the biblical amounts of rain it will bring.

• Options
    mrt144 wrote: »
    How will this affect football

May force the delay or relocation of some games on Sunday.

• Options
    1o6q6s.gif

Thats the 5-day rain forecast from today onward. Look at all the rain Sandy will bring! This is why this will be a major flooding event.

• Options
    It should be noted that by that graphic above, the Hydrological Prediction Center (HPC) feels that Sandy will make landfall a little farther south than the National Hurricane Center (NHC) thinks.

• Options
    i god i'm right in a band of every shade of blue

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    This better spank Philly good and proper. I'm looking forward to it!

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    From the graphics, I would say the only games that would be potentially impacted are WAS at PIT, ATL at PHI, and MIA at NYJ. Baltimore and Buffalo are on bye and New England is in old England.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »
    This hurricane is going to be right up by DC on the day of my job interview. Thanks a lot @Lost Salient

God Dammit, every time you come up...

Statistically, there have been more good weather days when I've visited than bad weather days!

• Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    Wish San Antonio was getting more rain. Just rained a lot today!

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Okay, I always joke about how I bring the rain with me, but this is ridiculous. (I'm in the DC area for the next week or so.)

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Time for the deluge of rain and "The government can't do anything right!" disaster strikes "Where's the government to help me?!"

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I live in Southern CT. At least Long Island will take some of the bite out of this thing. As usual.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular

BBQ!

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    From the graphics, I would say the only games that would be potentially impacted are WAS at PIT, ATL at PHI, and MIA at NYJ. Baltimore and Buffalo are on bye and New England is in old England.

This brings up the interesting issue. Who should i choose as my kicker this week? Because there is going to be a lot of missed field goals.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Fandyien wrote: »

i am prepared with a copy of hyperion, some super good weed, and an electric lamp

wait fandy how did I miss you were in VA
    at least I know I'm not the only one with a pipe* ready for this

*for tobacco use only

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »

wait fandy how did I miss you were in VA
    at least I know I'm not the only one with a pipe* ready for this

*for tobacco use only

dogg i live in richmond

there's a good number of va forumers around here, i know miscellaneousinsanity also lives here

clearly us folk of hardy virginian stock know the only way to ride out a natural disaster is super stoned.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    also holy shit I am right under the big blue yellow patch on that map
    hey chi you are totally allowed to let me hitchhike if you need to blast through north VA while chasing this

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    $60 in beef is a really relative number. That could be one steak or a shitload of hamburger.

$60 for one steak outside of a REALLY nice restaurant?

that is

fucking ridiculous

for reference i could get 7-8 select bone-in ribeye at 3/4# - 1# for $60 depending

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options

$60 for one steak outside of a REALLY nice restaurant?

that is

fucking ridiculous

Yeah it is. I was just saying.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    ugh quoted me before i edited

UNACCEPTABLE, RAIJIN

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock