As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Automata: Starring Antonio Banderas?

2»

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    LTM wrote: »
    For those of you who don't speak espanol, its La Automata. Or, The Automata.

Also El Nino is spanish for The Nino

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
    Speed Racer#pipeDarth WaiterUsagiHeadCreepsNocren
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yes, because when I think of Noir with robots, the biggest name I can think of is Penny Arcade, and not, say, Blade Runner.

Seriously guys.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    This, along with the failure of Almost Human, makes me sad because it basically means nobody will ever greenlight a real automata movie.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yes, because when I think of Noir with robots, the biggest name I can think of is Penny Arcade, and not, say, Blade Runner.

Seriously guys.

Noir with robots and called Automata, though?

rhylithDarmakTankHammerBlankZoeCentipede Damascus
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    tumblr_mq7h3eKsEp1sygx9ho1_500.jpg

'Well, no one who speaks German binary can be an evil man.'

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Automata was basically Caves of Steel too

Let's not get too crazy here

Maddoc on
    Speed Racer
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014

Seriously guys.

Automata is not exactly a distinctive name. It's someone going to the thesaurus for a cool word meaning robot.

Fencingsax on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Seriously guys.

Automata is not exactly a distinctive name. It's someone going to the thesaurus for a cool word meaning robot.

But we're on the fucking Penny Arcade forums. It's not a surprise that a noir robot movie titled Automata brought to mind PA's comic. If this were any other forum then sure it might not make sense, but it IS this forum.

JtgVX0H.png
    #pipeASimPersonCentipede Damascus

Seriously guys.

I agree with all of your points,

That Robot Stories are common, that Robot Noir isn't new, that Automata is a pretty simple name for a robot thing

but when you put them all together, it is a pretty big coincidence!

BlankZoeCentipede Damascus
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    From the trailer though it has so little to do with the Automata we know and love that I doubt one influenced the other.

Plus this

edited August 2014
    I don't think anyone is seriously implying that they ripped off PA or anything

But the coincidence is at least worth one of these

#pipe on
    JayKaosDarmak
  • westwrdwestwrd Registered User regular
    It may not be associated with penny arcade, but I feel they would have a strong case for their robot design being lifted for the movie.

If you listen to fools, the mob rules
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    westwrd wrote: »
    It may not be associated with penny arcade, but I feel they would have a strong case for their robot design being lifted for the movie.
    I would disagree?
    automata_final.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2014-08-21-at-9.42.52-AM-820x420.png

CYpGAPn.png
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The robots look very cheap. Not effects-wise, but that they're economy models or whatever. I think I like that.

MaddocJayKaos