As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 3: Kill All Geth

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh! I know what I'm gonna do on this run
    Jacob ain't making it out alive

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    Just beat Me 3 again with the extended cut. Red ending is the light. I'm going to bed now.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    I almost went with the yolo, shoot the catalyst in the face ending, but I had to finish the job.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    In which we make shit up because our viewers don't know any better.

Adults don't really play these things, right?

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Geoff Keighly, video game expert

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Goatmon wrote: »
    In which we make shit up because our viewers don't know any better.

Adults don't really play these things, right?

She later admitted she had not played it and in fact knew essentially nothing about it
    After actually watching someone play for like 2 hours she recanted and went "yeah, sorry, it's fine"

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    need you any more proof of the institutional marginalization and oppression of gamers

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I've only ever been able to watch like 5 second chunks of that Fox News piece
    I just hit the part where the lady straight-up says that boys can't tell the difference between video games and reality and I just

I'm staggered that there are people who make such statements and expect to be taken seriously

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    every time I watch fox news I end up feeling very sad

• Options
    Since I can't bear to watch, how is Geoff Keighly doing there
    is he in any way making salient points against what they're saying

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

It's not like that would be hard to do

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I've never actually watched that either.

I still can't. I get so

I guess embarrassed for them, in a way?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

Yeah, but
    Keighly

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    "Luke Skywalker meets Debbie Does Dallas."

Mass Effect.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    dammit wyborn

don't you throw Mother 3 at me

you know I can't a throw a punch at you with that avatar+sig combo

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    wait so

is that true that at the start of the trilogy, humans have only been in space for 20 years??

I mean i knew it was a short period of time but that seems ridiculous

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Dubh wrote: »
    dammit wyborn

don't you throw Mother 3 at me

you know I can't a throw a punch at you with that avatar+sig combo
    Mother 3 is a good game.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    wait so

is that true that at the start of the trilogy, humans have only been in space for 20 years??

I mean i knew it was a short period of time but that seems ridiculous

It's simultaneously really interesting and really stupid

Really interesting from a narrative point of view and the perspective that being so new would grant the audience

And really stupid because they never, ever, ever doing anything with it ever

By the time of ME1, hell, by the time of the goddamn prequel novel, everyone is completely used to aliens and technology and the galaxy and everything else

So there is literally no point to having first contact be so recent

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

Yeah, but
    Keighly

What's wrong with Geoff Keighly?

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    It IS ridiculous. Hence some races are suspicious or resentful. If we had numbers we'd be a dominant force in the galaxy without Sheperd.

Apparently our means of warfare is very multi-disciplined and cohesive, including drones, armor, artillery, etc. Other races are kind of one-trick ponies (simplification, but still). Salarians and Asari deal with a lot of special ops, while Turians have some fairly static doctrine, although all are still very competent. Have you ever faced an Asari commando unit before?

Also I love the bit how humanity isn't allowed more dreadnoughts, so they built super-carriers the size of dreadnoughts, that, conveniently, could quickly mount a dreadnought's main gun if it was needed.

• Options
    Humans basically pioneered the idea of carrier ships at all, in that other races did all their fighting with capital ships

They weren't equipped to deal with fighters carrying bomb-style payloads

That's why the only fighter pilots you see throughout the series are human, plus one Turian force and one vorcha unit, because turians knew a good idea when they saw it and vorcha can be trained for it really quickly

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    yeah but

they did that within a span of twenty years?

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    We've only had twenty years since First Contact, yeah, as of ME1.

But we had a while before that of us having access to one of the most complete caches of Prothean technological data in the galaxy, and when we went out into the stars we were already bristling with guns because there might be some kinda robot Cthulhu out there or something.

It's still a really rapid thing, but it's not completely unbelievable. The only conceit it really requires is that we're able to understand the Prothean data and then replicate some basic manufacturing techniques.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I always mentally tack on another hundred years to the ME chronology

It doesn't really change anything since the only time anyone really mentions how recent first contact was is Doctor Bryson's one line about how it was within his own lifetime

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    By the time of ME1, hell, by the time of the goddamn prequel novel, everyone is completely used to aliens and technology and the galaxy and everything else

Ashley isn't!

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    we also only ever see the people who are generally willing to go into space. i'm sure there's a whole bunch of people on earth who don't even believe the world is round still.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah the ME chronology is super silly and poorly thought out in a ton of ways, and I generally try to just ignore it.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The vast majority of humanity still lives in the Sol system, but since you're traipsing around the galaxy all the time it's not really ever brought up.

• Options
    We're still a really backwater little species in context of the rest of the galaxy.

Anoleis really drives this point home on Noveria if you're Earthborn, but it makes sense that it's not constantly brought up throughout the series because Shepard is literally on the leading edge of humanity's push into the stars

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    guys

i have an idea on how to make more mass effect games

ultimate mass effect

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Play as young Shepard

do it dragon age origins style where you play through your story first

make it about your early military days

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    mass effect: ultimatum

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    mass effect: ultimatum

Wreav eats Traynor

• Options
    speed did i read somewhere on here that you have something to do with mom effect

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    speed did i read somewhere on here that you have something to do with mom effect

his mom is, in fact, the mom effected

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Blue ending is the stupidest in my opinion.

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Tommy I have had this link in my sig for months!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    The Mass Effect chronology thing that gets me is the prequel with the Illusive Man, Evolution. Humanity has first contact with the Turians. They go to war. Humanity is still in that brief war as the story opens, so humanity has been aware of the rest of the galaxy for literally a month, and it had been a pretty hostile month. And as soon as the war is over, the Illusive Man takes off to Illian, because hey, Illian. And they have no problems getting there, no serious "OMG IT'S A HUMAN!" moments, nothing. It was stupid to the point that it hurt my head.

For the rest of it, humanity discovered the cache on Mars and first used a Mass Relay in 2149, and the First Contact War was in 2157. At the time of the first contact war, they were already building up a fleet, because they had no idea what was out there. Mass Effect occurs in 2183, 26 years after the First Contact War. Given that aside from the use of the Mass Relays, most of the technology that humans used was just an improvement over existing technologies, I think that the technological improvement arc is fine.

I don't have a problem with social/technical advances being rapid. In real world history, we went 63 years between the development of jacketed ammunition and the detonation of the first atomic bomb. We went 66 years from the time of the first powered flight to landing a man on the moon. In 1900, automobiles were rare on the streets of most major cities; by 1930, they had for the most part replaced horses. With regards to social advances, you just need to look at the progress of the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s or gay rights over the last decade - things can move very fast under the right circumstances.

But as much as I don't have a problem with the rapid turnaround between 2151 and 2183, I do think that the background material and the games missed out hugely in that they didn't talk about how disruptive the first few years would have been. Cerberus and its reason for being is one of the few real nods given to that disruption. And while humans can adapt fairly quickly (it's our racial hat after all), other races should still be much more leery of humans. In my opinion, humans really should be looked at like Orcs in the Mass Effect galaxy. They're powerful, you can't really trust them, they're growing way too fast in power, they're aggressive, and they resist conforming to galactic standards. There's some of that in Mass Effect, and then it's pretty much gone after that. In the novels, it's effectively non-existent.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
This discussion has been closed.