As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Go to new thread

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    man, you can tell that WoW is less popular around here than it once was.

One chat thread, down from what it was a few years ago where we had a chat thread, a raid thread, a thread for every class and a thread for PvP.
    Hell, we even had a thread dedicated to good and bad *names*.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    The names thread was a catch-all for all MMOs though. But yeah we used to have individual class threads, then that was distilled down to role threads.

Now this and the Clawshrimp thread.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Yeah but let's be honest, the vast majority of posts in those names threads were from WoW, at least in the beginning. If I recall correctly the reason that thread was created was that Munkus or Echo felt those posts were cluttering up the chat thread.

Oh, and the Hate, Hope and Happiness threads were WoW-specific at first too. Ah, memories.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I don't currently have a tank geared for LFR (I don't think). But I'll admit to having basically written it off based on experiences with the length of DS queues.

As someone not yet at the LFR level, this surprises me. How many tanks/healers/dps does it take into a group?

Unrelated, could I solo old raids on my druid with feral spec? I did some (BWL, a bit of AQ) as guardian and it was really, really easy, but I was a tad low on DPS for a few things. Had to shift to cat for Ebonroc because my dodge isn't what it was back in ye olden days.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

One chat thread, down from what it was a few years ago where we had a chat thread, a raid thread, a thread for every class and a thread for PvP.

To be fair the mods asked for no more class threads, and instead to 'role' threads I think (tank, dps, healer). But I'd say yeah it is less popular. Still certainly a lot of people playing just not necessarily posting here.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I don't currently have a tank geared for LFR (I don't think). But I'll admit to having basically written it off based on experiences with the length of DS queues.

Yeah, honestly that's why I haven't been in a rush to respec prot; aside from wanting that fucking axe first.

Tank queues in DS were like twice as long as DPS ones that were already long, it was a headache. So I went ret/holy to have a spec to use for dailies and stuff, and one for queues.

Maybe I'll just switch after Terrace every week if the axe doesn't drop and do the rest as prot? I'm having zero luck with getting gear for holy anyway, so that's not doing me much good.

I wish I was on your server cluster then. I always queue as tank and generally wait 40mins to an hour per LFR. I think it might just be weird because you can only queue for one LFR at a time (to my knowledge) and with 5 of them the people are bound to be spread all over. My queues seem to always be waiting for healers. It makes me want to get Mistweaver gear for my Brewmaster.

Cirira on
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »

I think of this more as the WoW support group.

5.2 better be amazing. I played a lot over the past few days and realized after a bit that I kinda dreaded logging on. Every week I do the same thing: cap valor on the main, cap valor on the alts, get a few levels on some other alts, afk in my farm. It's still early in the expansion and I'm feeling like I would after months of an end of the expansion patch.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Unrelated, could I solo old raids on my druid with feral spec? I did some (BWL, a bit of AQ) as guardian and it was really, really easy, but I was a tad low on DPS for a few things. Had to shift to cat for Ebonroc because my dodge isn't what it was back in ye olden days.

When I was still playing, I was able to solo most level 60 and 70 raid bosses as a level 90 rogue without much trouble unless they had special mechanics (Brutallus and the Twins in Sunwell being an exception where I just didn't yet have the dps/survivability to take them on alone). Heck, a lot of the older stuff could be solo'd at 80 or 85.

For level 80 content, I solo'd a bunch of Naxx (including the last two bosses), and the first two bosses of Ulduar. I also tried to solo Sartharion with 3 drakes up but could only get him to 25% or so (someone with better gear can probably take him--one of the drakes is impossible to solo but you still get the loot if Sarth dies and then you vanish or whatever). I didn't try them but some VoA bosses are also probably soloable, and I duo'd Onyxia and Malygos but they might be soloable as well.

If a rogue could do it, I imagine a feral probably could too.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I know Blood DKs are all the hotness for soloing raids. Like that one guy who got a bunch of MoP blue BoEs with an 80 level requirement and then proceeded to go stomp everything.

Does anyone here have any experience with this? I expect to be 90 on mine by the weekend and would like to get cracking on mounts/pets. My dps is vastly superior to my prot warrior but I'm still concerned about hitting enrage timers.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Onyxia is definitely soloable, you will only have a pretty long second phase if you're not ranged.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I've soloed Ony and Malygos as a ret paladin (10 man versions), I'm not sure how well a feral/guardian druid would do there (especially in the air phases).

Kael should be soloable, but the phase where all advisors are up at the same time might be really really exciting. make sure you have a pvp trinket if you aren't sure of yourself.

Attumen is easily soloable, I did it on my cat druid at 90 with greens and I just had her go straight to midnight and pull all the trash as a result.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I know Blood DKs are all the hotness for soloing raids. Like that one guy who got a bunch of MoP blue BoEs with an 80 level requirement and then proceeded to go stomp everything.

Does anyone here have any experience with this? I expect to be 90 on mine by the weekend and would like to get cracking on mounts/pets. My dps is vastly superior to my prot warrior but I'm still concerned about hitting enrage timers.

The reason that worked at 80 is due to the ilvls and stat inflation on the MoP blues combined with only being level 80 letting him do stupid avoidance tricks. The second you hit 90, you are very hittable indeed, and will also be taking a DPS hit due to DR. I'd at least wait until you hit 89-90 blues, which isn't too hard. ESPECIALLY the weapon.

Edit: Oh, though 70 content you should be able to just pound on. 80-85 stuff not so much. Heck, I was soloing 70 stuff at 80 on my DK.

dporowski on
  • Options
    I have to admit, after seeing the 5.2 teaser trailer, I'm digging the Aztec/Dino-Riders fusion vibe.

• Options
    LetarianLetarian Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Lars wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »

When I was still playing, I was able to solo most level 60 and 70 raid bosses as a level 90 rogue without much trouble unless they had special mechanics (Brutallus and the Twins in Sunwell being an exception where I just didn't yet have the dps/survivability to take them on alone). Heck, a lot of the older stuff could be solo'd at 80 or 85.

For level 80 content, I solo'd a bunch of Naxx (including the last two bosses), and the first two bosses of Ulduar. I also tried to solo Sartharion with 3 drakes up but could only get him to 25% or so (someone with better gear can probably take him--one of the drakes is impossible to solo but you still get the loot if Sarth dies and then you vanish or whatever). I didn't try them but some VoA bosses are also probably soloable, and I duo'd Onyxia and Malygos but they might be soloable as well.

If a rogue could do it, I imagine a feral probably could too.

All 3 of the Sarth mini-drakes are possible, you just have to nuke the third one really quickly. Sarth 3D 10 man should be possible as well. VoA should be easily soloable - a guildy and I did Fire, Earth, Water achieve with two of us, and I could probably solo it as well. Maly and Onyxia 10 man are both doable, and possibly on 25 man as well. All of the BC instances are possible, except the first boss of Sunwell (who is skipable by pulling and then running past to a reset point. All of 10-man ICC has been done as well, and the first two at least can be done on heroic (I haven't managed to solo gunship yet, but it has been done). All of Naxx 10 is possible, including all achieves except killing Patch in under 4 minutes. All of 25 is possible as well except Gluth, who heals too fast to out-dps at 25 man. All of Ulduar has been done, including Algalon.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1045507-5-0-Edition-The-Druid-Soloing-Guide/page1 is a really good resource for druids.

EDIT: Ony air phase is shortened but using HOTW. 3-manned with a hunter and someone else and HOTW + hunter and we had her down before she had fully got into the air.

Letarian on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    So having bought artisan flight, I have a bit more than a thousand gold. Would it be wrong to buy a couple embersilk bags instead of saving it up? Right now I have Netherweave bags from my guild.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »

The reason that worked at 80 is due to the ilvls and stat inflation on the MoP blues combined with only being level 80 letting him do stupid avoidance tricks. The second you hit 90, you are very hittable indeed, and will also be taking a DPS hit due to DR. I'd at least wait until you hit 89-90 blues, which isn't too hard. ESPECIALLY the weapon.

Edit: Oh, though 70 content you should be able to just pound on. 80-85 stuff not so much. Heck, I was soloing 70 stuff at 80 on my DK.

One thing to note: It's a little harder to solo now as blood, thanks to passive blood worms. They're baseline now and they count as having a pet / another player in the raid for the sake of mind control effects.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I tried to do Sarth 3D 10 man once but I didn't quite have the dps. Once the first drake comes down he just blows me up. But I got him to ~6% or something so it should be doable if I got some better gear.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    onyxia's easy to solo on 10, and probably even 25 for some classes. The only hard part for some folks might be DPSing her after she lifts off, but she doesn't have much health really and most classes have at least some ranged stuff to plink through it with.

malygos is pretty easy too, but it might be harder if you couldn't self-heal at will.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Uh ... as a fresh 90. How do gain Justice points? Since I can't get them anymore through the random normal dungeons?

• Options
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Uh ... as a fresh 90. How do gain Justice points? Since I can't get them anymore through the random normal dungeons?

You get justice points from opening the caches from the end of scenarios, and I think you get them on a per boss basis in heroics (but I can't remember for certain).

Blizzard dropped the ball significantly on JP this time around.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Yeah but let's be honest, the vast majority of posts in those names threads were from WoW, at least in the beginning. If I recall correctly the reason that thread was created was that Munkus or Echo felt those posts were cluttering up the chat thread.

Oh, and the Hate, Hope and Happiness threads were WoW-specific at first too. Ah, memories.
    Oh man, I loved the HHH thread. I'm going to pretend there's still Hope and start throwing that in random posts.

Here, I'll start:
    Hate: The average ilevel always rounds down. 469.9375 is not enough, you need that one last sixteenth. FINE LFR QUEUE, YOU WIN. Let me buy this poorly itemized item, queue and vendor it back.
    Happiness: I won loot lotto and can now actually queue for the raid I got loot from.
    Hope: My tiger deck sells.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    I've soloed Ony and Malygos as a ret paladin (10 man versions), I'm not sure how well a feral/guardian druid would do there (especially in the air phases).

Four words: Heart of the Wild. Pop that, start spamming Wrath. Kaboom! It's actually pretty ridiculous dps, especially if you equip a spellpower weapon.

On the topic of soloing, I've done a loooot of soloing as a Monk. Monks are pretty capable soloers. I do everything as Windwalker unless the damage intake is too much or there's something mechanically related I can't do, in which case I switch to Brewmaster. It's usually because of damage intake though. Only mechanical reason I've done was Reliquary of Souls in Black Temple, before they changed that fight.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Hate: Fatty Goatsteak. Also, Al Queda.

Actually, that's pretty much it.

What, you just find the biggest cluster of goats and pull them all, AE, repeat till 4. I'd rather them than anything with the frickin' bunnies.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Not everybody can aoe the goats down like that, especially if you don't have great gear.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Happy: In the raid bosses I did kill, I got a bit lucky with the pets: Chrommie and the Mindflayer on the first shot.
    Happy: Picked the rogue up after eons and bumped him from 70 to 73 and really enjoying the class.
    Hate: Seeing a really cool mount, looking it up, and discovering it's from the blizzard store
    Hope: I can burn down the Twin Emps in AQ if I go back and give them a try. Any advice on Viscidus for a druid?

• Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Not everybody can aoe the goats down like that, especially if you don't have great gear.

And if everyone else is also doing that, tagging all the mobs the second the spawn...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Narf - just did my first scenario. The one on the beach with the brew pot ... unga ingoo. I got some ilvl 450 boots out of it. Which would have been nice, if I didn't just collect my 476 boots from the Sha of Anger kill :). Anyways. Scenarios are fun.

• Options
    Narf - just did my first scenario. The one on the beach with the brew pot ... unga ingoo. I got some ilvl 450 boots out of it. Which would have been nice, if I didn't just collect my 476 boots from the Sha of Anger kill :). Anyways. Scenarios are fun.

I got epic 476 boots off like the second scenario I did on my Druid after she dinged 9 -_- They are actually mildly better than the Sha of Anger boots - still pissed me off tho. I also got the tier gloves off him RIGHT after having my Leatherworker make her epic gloves -_-

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    If you're a hunter you can pretty much solo any of the old raids without any problems. Especially as BM with a spirit beast. Spirit Bond for the constant regen, feign death with pet tank, etc. I've even soloed the 3 drakes up fight in 10-man mode for the black drake, it's dicey but it's just a matter of abusing ancient hysteria and all CD for a quick burn (4-manned it for the twilight). The only fight I have to switch specs is twin emps since the bread and butter focus builder is nature damage, but since I've got the pet off them I don't even have to run that raid anymore.

But Spirit Bond+Spirit Mend=loldamage.

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I got epic 476 boots off like the second scenario I did on my Druid after she dinged 9 -_- They are actually mildly better than the Sha of Anger boots - still pissed me off tho. I also got the tier gloves off him RIGHT after having my Leatherworker make her epic gloves -_-

Just did a second scenario - and now I don't have to wonder about a weapon for a while. The quest from the "arena of annihilation" scenario gave me a ilvl 450 crossbow :). And here I thought I'd have to make do with the bow from the dread wastes or even have to built the trillium sniper.

I have enough JP to either buy a necklace or a cape - which should bring me ever so closer to ilvl 435 for heroics.

• Options

Well, I definitely don't. Have been pretty much growing veggies and crap since 90, not running instances, but AM playing a tank spec. Which I imagine helps.

• Options
    Don't buy a neck. You get one for free at Golden Lotus exalted.

• Options
    Invisible wrote: »
    If you're a hunter you can pretty much solo any of the old raids without any problems. Especially as BM with a spirit beast. Spirit Bond for the constant regen, feign death with pet tank, etc. I've even soloed the 3 drakes up fight in 10-man mode for the black drake, it's dicey but it's just a matter of abusing ancient hysteria and all CD for a quick burn (4-manned it for the twilight). The only fight I have to switch specs is twin emps since the bread and butter focus builder is nature damage, but since I've got the pet off them I don't even have to run that raid anymore.

But Spirit Bond+Spirit Mend=loldamage.

How do you do Kael? :P

• Options

I haven't even started doing rep for Golden Lotus yet :).

Another scenario and 463 gauntlets - this is awesome. Although I did get kicked out of the 4th scenario, dunno why.

• Options

Another scenario and 463 gauntlets - this is awesome. Although I did get kicked out of the 4th scenario, dunno why.

Because 1/4 of the wow population are dicks? :P

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    I still have none of the pets from MC/BWL. I still have 2 left in AQ (I got the one from Twin Emps) and I have the one from Loatheb left in Naxx. I've been running this shit like every goddamn week.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    I still have none of the pets from MC/BWL. I still have 2 left in AQ (I got the one from Twin Emps) and I have the one from Loatheb left in Naxx. I've been running this shit like every goddamn week.

alts ftw

• Options

Because 1/4 of the wow population are dicks? :P

It was the same crew I did the scenario before with. Now it was the one, where you fly around and bomb shit. We didn't defeat the last boss - after the corpse run, they kicked me. And they were both from the same guild on another server. I guess I didn't do enough DPS or something.

Doesn't matter though - got enough great gear out of the 3 previous runs as it is. Queues are pretty much instant and the scenarios are easy enough to figure out.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

Kael should be soloable, but the phase where all advisors are up at the same time might be really really exciting. make sure you have a pvp trinket if you aren't sure of yourself.

Attumen is easily soloable, I did it on my cat druid at 90 with greens and I just had her go straight to midnight and pull all the trash as a result.
    Attumen is very easy to solo, I was doing him at 80 solo in wrath

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.