Options

Youtube not embedding properly

2»

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Still doesn't work for me in IE8 on Windows 7. Anything I should try?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I used to be able to play embedded Youtube videos in Firefox, but now when I click play it just changes to a black box, and I have to open a window separately in Youtube to see it. It still works in Chrome though. I am on Windows 7.

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Still doesn't work for me in IE8 on Windows 7. Anything I should try?

OS X

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    More seriously, we changed the code used to handle embedding. Have you guys cleared your caches recently? Like properly cleared them.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Magic Pink have you tried upgrading to IE9? I don't use it, so I'm not sure if that feasible for you.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    @Magic Pink have you tried upgrading to IE9? I don't use it, so I'm not sure if that feasible for you.

No, I can't. This is a work PC. No upgrading allowed.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

No, I can't. This is a work PC. No upgrading allowed.

What about Chrome? Google wrote their code using Microsoft's ClickOnce tech, so it actually resides in your /appdata/remote folder. Now, if that gets cleaned out every time you log on then it'll be a pain, but most small/medium businesses don't know how to lock down ClickOnce programs. (If you are at a bigger firm with better IT or people who are bored then you are likely out of luck.)

Note: I am not advocating bypassing/breaking company policy on installation of software. It's just that upgrading IE9 requires installing a goddamned Windows Update that mucks with the registry and Chrome generally only mucks with your profile.

(Also god DAMN does IE10 suck.)

He/Him | "We who believe in freedom cannot rest." - Dr. Johnetta Cole, 7/22/2024
  • Options
    This is a very large business and when I say no upgrading allowed, believe me, there is no upgrading allowed.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    More seriously, we changed the code used to handle embedding. Have you guys cleared your caches recently? Like properly cleared them.

In Firefox I did Ctrl-Shift-Del and cleared the cache in that, should that have been enough? Because videos still won't play.

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Is there any way to change the way Youtube videos are embedded so I can see the title. I don't like not knowing what I'm about to click play to.

• Options
    Things are working again. I pretty much nuked everything saved in Firefox, and videos play in forum again. Thanks Icy.