As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your Holiday Bonus is this [Job Thread]

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    i dunno how people decide to work from home willingly

i'm fine doing it now and then, but with this hurricane and our office out of power and the subways all fucked, i've been basically cooped up in my room, which is not set up well for being productive, attempting to work and all alone with no one to talk to
    it makes it very hard to get anything done and i'm going a bit bananas

maybe it would be different if i had a home office set up, but the act of going into the office and seeing and interacting with people makes work so much more tolerable

I've been doing some work from home stuff over the summer for my previous employer, who I fle^Wleft back in the spring due to burning out on the ridiculous work environment coupled with them moving their office out to the middle of nowhere. It's been very much a part-time sort of thing, but gave me some money while working my way into something better. Because the environment was so dysfunctional, I'm probably doing about as much work now as I was before, but with a faster turnaround time and fewer errors. It also means I don't wake up at five.

I probably wouldn't be happy doing that as a full time thing - okay, I definitely wouldn't be, since I've spent the past six months (successfully! yay!) trying to get out of that field and back into one I like, but given the choice between working in that environment and working from home I'd gleefully pick the latter.

• Options
    Sassori wrote: »
    There are a couple different Museum Studies programs here that I've been considering pursuing.

It's one of the three branches in the "Where should Sassori go from here?" road.

I did some archiving as part of an internship for about two years and I really enjoyed it, but I don't know if that's what I should follow through with.

People who like archiving can be pretty popular in some fields. They are odd and rare in some places. (It can also be pretty versatile, since lots of companies need that sort of thing.)

The specific slot I landed myself in required an undergrad degree plus a museum studies background (or some equivalent like public history, an MA with some kind of relevant focus, or a pile of equivalent experience). That's probably becoming the standard requirement for museum work above the level of interpreters and whatnot.

What's the third branch, out of curiosity?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    My current co-workers / boss are the only ones to ever come visit me in the hospital.

That's from 15+ years of jobs and companies, they are the only ones to do that.

Also the only ones to take me out to dinner and a strip club for my birthday.

Jesus they're pricks.

They take the one guy who can't eat OR get an errection without chemically treatment for dinner and a strip show.

Bunch of self centered ingrates.

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Stop mockin' my box...

... room.

There's honestly not room for everything, is the problem.
    I need to buy some DVD shelves, since I'm not moving out before my lease is up (apparently).
    That'll help some.

I should check and see when my dining table + chairs are being delivered, though. Because I need to de-box the room before then.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    lol i just got an e-mail from my new boss, i asked her if there was a dress code. Her answer:

"I am a strong believer in showing tatoos and wearing shorts, I'm a surfer at heart ;)

This office is casual, so shorts in the summer, jeans in the winter, only dress up if you are meeting with a client."

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Obvs you gotta get a face tattoo.

• Options
    Move over, Tyson.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    A guy from the section where I will be working comes in to talk to us about what working there is like

"you have to be careful of the deadly gases"

I'm sitting there, ready to hear about chemical processes and safety measures and protective equipment

nope, its a story about how a bunch of the workers always fart around him and he can't leave cause he has to stay at the control panel

this is the only piece of information he relayed to us

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    There are a couple different Museum Studies programs here that I've been considering pursuing.

It's one of the three branches in the "Where should Sassori go from here?" road.

I did some archiving as part of an internship for about two years and I really enjoyed it, but I don't know if that's what I should follow through with.

People who like archiving can be pretty popular in some fields. They are odd and rare in some places. (It can also be pretty versatile, since lots of companies need that sort of thing.)

The specific slot I landed myself in required an undergrad degree plus a museum studies background (or some equivalent like public history, an MA with some kind of relevant focus, or a pile of equivalent experience). That's probably becoming the standard requirement for museum work above the level of interpreters and whatnot.

Speaking of curiosity, when you say some places do you have like specific locations or businesses?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »
    lol i just got an e-mail from my new boss, i asked her if there was a dress code. Her answer:

"I am a strong believer in showing tatoos and wearing shorts, I'm a surfer at heart ;)

This office is casual, so shorts in the summer, jeans in the winter, only dress up if you are meeting with a client."

Hello please have my résumé

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Oh my god somebody gave me the wrong delivery address for something I took back on wednesday and they've been getting angry calls and emails since then

If somebody tries to throw me under the bus on this I will shit on their desk

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular

My issue, which I'm sure a lot of people suffer from, is that I feel very little drive/connection to any one particular thing. There are things I like and enjoy, but I'm not really passionate about anything above all else. So it's a little difficult to figure out what my best option for myself would be. I'm not overly concerned about money. I know the limitations, but I'm more concerned about putting myself in some corner where I'm absolutely miserable at work.

This is going to be long so I'm just going to spoiler it. Sorry if I'm over-sharing.

I feel like at the moment, my main options are:
    Teaching/Working in Higher Education
    I would want to do this on the college level, I already have my MA but I could pursue my Doctorate in a branch of History or Theology. I'm less inclined to do this full-time because tenure-track positions are very difficult to get. So I've considered taking another job and maybe picking up an adjunct position. I've also considered taking a position at a University where I could still work in Higher Education and make more money than I would as a professor.

Government Work
    I feel like living in DC that I have a lot of options here and this would be especially useful if I wanted to continue to follow this idea of teaching part-time. But there are also so many options and overlap here that I'm lacking focus on what might be my best fit. I have a couple friends that I've been meaning to sit down and chat with to see what advice they might give me on what I should look into.

Museum Work/Archives
    And then this, as I told you earlier. I loved working in the archives at the Cathedral, but I know a lot of that joy came from the people I was working with and the material I was handling. Unfortunately there was only one paid member of the entire staff and the rest was run entirely by volunteers.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Whoops, forgot I had a phone interview today too. Glad I picked up when they called and still felt good about it! Now I just have to worry about the in-person interview in 3 hours.

Which tie do you all think?
    110C4B01-138D-438E-BD88-20D9014B2187-4932-000002CE67DD8203.jpg

godmode on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Jesus fucking christ on a bicycle

Ok, IT professionals--if you're going to rename a network path (especially the secure one that has critical, government controlled information on it) fucking tell me

Just tell me, no biggie, I'll even remap my shortcut myself but TELL ME

Then I don't have a complete spaz out when I think somebody fucked up and deleted all of my records

Augh

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    @godmode: tie on the right

@Usagi: no

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    @Usagi Maybe.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    @usagi

no. they're my systems, my rules

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Skeith wrote: »
    Speaking of curiosity, when you say some places do you have like specific locations or businesses?

Nothing really specific - it's more that for every person I know who's all "squee! archives!" I seem to know several others who studied it as a safe choice for job training. It takes a certain mindset to look forward to doing item-level of a pile of collections, and most of the people I know with that state of mind manage to find work pretty easily.

(There's probably some blunt-object lesson in there.)
    I would want to do this on the college level, I already have my MA but I could pursue my Doctorate in a branch of History or Theology. I'm less inclined to do this full-time because tenure-track positions are very difficult to get. So I've considered taking another job and maybe picking up an adjunct position. I've also considered taking a position at a University where I could still work in Higher Education and make more money than I would as a professor.

Government Work
    I feel like living in DC that I have a lot of options here and this would be especially useful if I wanted to continue to follow this idea of teaching part-time. But there are also so many options and overlap here that I'm lacking focus on what might be my best fit. I have a couple friends that I've been meaning to sit down and chat with to see what advice they might give me on what I should look into.

Museum Work/Archives
    And then this, as I told you earlier. I loved working in the archives at the Cathedral, but I know a lot of that joy came from the people I was working with and the material I was handling. Unfortunately there was only one paid member of the entire staff and the rest was run entirely by volunteers.

Big thing to keep in mind about the museum/archives option is that those can be two very different things, so technically speaking you've got four options. ;) The position I just got sort of straddles the line, and I feel pretty lucky about that since one of the things I traditionally geek out on is watching different fields interact like that.

It's also worth noting that there are a lot more archives floating around a typical city than you might think. Most medium or large organizations have at least an attempt at one sitting in a room someplace. A good chunk of my MA cohort jumped into the archival world after graduation; one that I know if is managing the municipal archives of a smallish town and several of the others are working with corporate archives. (Our instructor for the program's archives course was actually the head archivist for an insurance company, and was teaching on the side, which is how a bunch of people in a public history program got bitten by that bug.)

• Options
    Yukira wrote: »
    @Usagi Maybe.

Bring baked goods.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Ugh. Tried going into work again today. Still no power. I was thinking that I could work on the one thing that does not really require power..was not counting on the darkness making that rather impossible.
    Fridges were up and running, so I did some temp monitoring this morning. Found out we have some samples out of hold time. Nothing to do but wait for power, though.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    angrydance.jpg

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    I really want to feel excited, but I can't. I don't know.

My interview went well. There were a few chaotic things going on, and I ended up working behind the counter a bit halfway into my interview. The atmosphere is great, it's in the perfect location. I barely saw the manager that spoke to me, she was tending to other things, but I still talked to her a bit. Things were still hectic when I left, I still had time to talk compensation (a few dollars paycut, I can deal with that), but I forgot to ask if it was full time. The ad didn't specify part-time, I had just assumed, but I emailed her when I got home anyway. The job is unfortunately part time, they said 20-25 hours a week. I emailed her back and was pretty honest, saying the very least I could do is 30 and even then I would be unsure, and just told her flatly what I needed to make a month to pay my bills.

I feel so crushed. I want this job, I hate my job right now. Every day is so hard. Annie is still working mostly part time and he hasn't been helping me with bills, maybe if he gets more hours somehow he can offset what I won't be making? They said it might turn into full time but that's not a definite answer.

This job is perfect. I don't know if it's worth the financial risk, but I really want it. I don't know what to do. I guess I'll have to weigh my options.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    If you can make it work somehow I would take the job. The happiness gained by not being at your terrible job is worth a lot if you can survive on a little less somehow.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular

Government Work

Museum Work/Archives

Big thing to keep in mind about the museum/archives option is that those can be two very different things, so technically speaking you've got four options. ;) The position I just got sort of straddles the line, and I feel pretty lucky about that since one of the things I traditionally geek out on is watching different fields interact like that.

It's also worth noting that there are a lot more archives floating around a typical city than you might think. Most medium or large organizations have at least an attempt at one sitting in a room someplace. A good chunk of my MA cohort jumped into the archival world after graduation; one that I know if is managing the municipal archives of a smallish town and several of the others are working with corporate archives. (Our instructor for the program's archives course was actually the head archivist for an insurance company, and was teaching on the side, which is how a bunch of people in a public history program got bitten by that bug.)

Yeah I tend to straddle the two because in some places they are almost identical depending on what you're working on or how small the organization is. But, obviously I have very little experience there so I appreciate the warning. I was a little startled when the World Bank contacted me about a possible job opening after graduation and so that kind of opened up the idea of what other organizations in the area would have something like that.

The school I'm currently working for offers programs under Museum Collections Management and Care, Museum Education, and Museum Studies. I'm thinking that over Thanksgiving I'll start taking a closer look at the course descriptions for the different programs and see what really calls to me.

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    I've gotten so used to the ridiculous flow of money from this job, I mean I'm sure I could tighten up and just never go anywhere or do anything. Especially if they can somehow guarantee that I can become full time in a few months or something. If I can just struggle and wait it out until then.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    So...I was just handed a Nexus 7 tablet.

Guy had one kicking around in his closet and knew that I rocked a Nexus phone.

Whoop whoop.
    What the hell do I do with this thing?

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Whoop whoop.

porn

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Whoop whoop.

Let me know what you think about iy because I want to get one eventually.

• Options
    Job interview went well, I feel. We talked about an hour and a half and the director and I seem to be on the same wavelength somewhat. Guess now I just have to wait for an offer to come in.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My brain just completely gave up at 4.30 today. Don't know why. Think I'm ready for the weekend.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Well okay so that job I got a while back doing part-time work for the state (which still made me more than nearly full time retail) has been going well, everybody at the job is very nice and the work itself is fine

BUT as state governments are wont to do, budgets have been cut and there's been some rumors going around about paycuts/ layoffs for temps.

So I talked to my temp agency to see if they could find me something else. And they did!

Full time job with a pay raise doing much the same thing as at the state. And still no weekends! And I will be making roughly double what I do with the state. My co-workers and boss are very understanding and are okay with it. My boss even told me I made the right decision, considering the uncertainty re: the budget for temps. She wasn't sure that she would be allowed to keep the temps that she needs, even though she's made it clear to the department that we are necessary. So I start on the 13th! :D Yay!

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I applied for another warehouse supervisor job today. Lets hope it's an actual warehouse supervisor and not some kind of shop job that I'm totally unqualified for.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    WANTED : Warehouse Supervisor.

Must be skilled with sculpture for alien penis clientele.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    If you can make it work somehow I would take the job. The happiness gained by not being at your terrible job is worth a lot if you can survive on a little less somehow.

Says the guy who can't even send his CV in.
    pssh

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Well okay so that job I got a while back doing part-time work for the state (which still made me more than nearly full time retail) has been going well, everybody at the job is very nice and the work itself is fine

BUT as state governments are wont to do, budgets have been cut and there's been some rumors going around about paycuts/ layoffs for temps.

So I talked to my temp agency to see if they could find me something else. And they did!

Full time job with a pay raise doing much the same thing as at the state. And still no weekends! And I will be making roughly double what I do with the state. My co-workers and boss are very understanding and are okay with it. My boss even told me I made the right decision, considering the uncertainty re: the budget for temps. She wasn't sure that she would be allowed to keep the temps that she needs, even though she's made it clear to the department that we are necessary. So I start on the 13th! :D Yay!

Hooray! :)

81483686327cbcdbd446z.jpg

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Job interview went well, I feel. We talked about an hour and a half and the director and I seem to be on the same wavelength somewhat. Guess now I just have to wait for an offer to come in.

Good luck!

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    My brain just completely gave up at 4.30 today. Don't know why. Think I'm ready for the weekend.

yup, same here. got half an hour to go and no desire to continue

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I still got like three hours before it's kosher to leave and I'm basically caught up on everything I wanted to get done this week so now I'm just listening to old episodes of MBMBAM and running out the clock.

God I wanna go home.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Argh bathrooms don't work again and portapotties are gross

/princess

This discussion has been closed.