Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    MantisEyes.jpg

Huh, I just learned that those dark spots on praying mantis eyes that follow you around aren't actually pupils. It's an optical effect caused by ommatidia. They're cone shaped so when you see them at an angle, they look green, but if you see them head on, you see the black part all the way at the back.

That's kind of a bummer.
    This has one fascinating effect, though. If you look at the mantis eye through a stereo microscope, then each of your eyes sees the black spot in a different position. Your brain then proceeds to interpret the different positions as parallax caused by depth, and what you see looks for all the world like the mantis's compound eyes are big transparent balls, with the black spots painted on the inside of the eyes' back surfaces! Now that's an illusion -- and a very bizarre but convincing one!

Okay, that's pretty neat. I feel slightly better.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    M.D. wrote: »
    I found these awhile ago when I was cleaning my pool,and both were in the filter areas where the leaves had piled up. What kinda spider is it?

photo2pm.jpg

photo1xsj.jpg

I'm thinking wolf spiders, based off the size/robustness

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Oh god, if I had become allergic to meat when I got Lyme disease I would be so sad.

I LOVE MEAT

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Fuck you ticks, you can have my carnivore tendencies when you pry it from my cold, lime diseased hands.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Meat allergy?!
    Truly a fate worse than death

What's next, fun allergy? Love allergy?

I get ticks pretty much every summer
    Lucky for me this seems to be an america thing

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    Oh god, if I had become allergic to meat when I got Lyme disease I would be so sad.

I LOVE MEAT

Aw sweet another Lyme disease survivor. Know what's a pain in the ass? When you never got a bullseye shaped rash so it takes five years to diagnose.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I saw a cool spider outside my window a few weeks ago.

IMG_20121029_005030.jpg

• Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I got the bullseye pretty big and pretty visible early (an my parents knew to look for it (I was like 8 at the time)) so I got almost no symptoms and they just brought me to the hospital and that was that.

Still though, a fucking meat allergy would suuuuuuck

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    I got the bullseye pretty big and pretty visible early (an my parents knew to look for it (I was like 8 at the time)) so I got almost no symptoms and they just brought me to the hospital and that was that.

Still though, a fucking meat allergy would suuuuuuck

Oh, so lucky. I went five years with crippling arthritis and one summer I even had to walk with a cane.

• Options
    FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    monsterror wrote: »
    I don't blame this guy at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9oUq4twMVY

the ending is the best part

• Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    Its really the headtilt immediately followed by moooooooooommmmm

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    thanks bug boy, thats what I thought too but wasn't sure.

Also had a case where i was swimming, and a spider with tons of babies on its butt was running right at me on the water I freaked out

• Options
    I don't mind spiders in the house one bit. I usually have anywhere from one to three noticeable ones in my various houseplants; there was a pretty large jumping spider on my rack of succulents for awhile, and another spider nearby who left nicely spun webs between the agaves. The only annoying one was the one who lived in the snakeplant next to my monitor, and would constantly try to spin a web over that in the middle of the night. You crazy bastard you ...

They get to stay because I frequently find flies and gnats in their webs, so they're doing their jobs.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I plan to have a pet tarantula at some point in my life

l2gIJ.jpg

something like this Chilean Rose here

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular

Also had a case where i was swimming, and a spider with tons of babies on its butt was running right at me on the water I freaked out

Definetely wolf spiders, then

they raise their young like that

• Options
    BugBoy wrote: »

Definetely wolf spiders, then

they raise their young like that

Please, please sir, adopt my children. I can't afford them anymore. PLEASE

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Hello Insect and arachnid thread!

Some of you probably know about parasitoid wasps, which lay their eggs in caterpillars, which are then consumed by the larvae of he wasp.

Did you know that there are wasps that parasitize the larvae of the aforementioned parasitoid wasps?

They're called hyperparasitoids. Let that sink in for a moment. There are real creatures, creatures that are as real as you or me, called hyperparasitoids.

The insect world is so awesome.

• Options
    when will evolution lead to superhyperparasitoidsturbo I wonder

• Options
    Circle of life, yo

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    when will evolution lead to superhyperparasitoidsturbo I wonder

Championship Edition

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Three bizarre-looking springtails, tiny insectlike creatures, have been discovered in a Spanish cave.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49998160/ns/technology_and_science-science/#.ULadI6yCnXR

121128_SpringtailPhoto-1145a.files.grid-6x2.jpg

121128_Springtail1Photo-1145a.files.grid-3x2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springtail

Xehalus on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

Some of you probably know about parasitoid wasps, which lay their eggs in caterpillars, which are then consumed by the larvae of he wasp.

Did you know that there are wasps that parasitize the larvae of the aforementioned parasitoid wasps?

They're called hyperparasitoids. Let that sink in for a moment. There are real creatures, creatures that are as real as you or me, called hyperparasitoids.

And what of the cabbage? Poelman writes that it’s caught between a rock and a hard place. By releasing chemicals that summon parasitoids, which can do away with its pesky caterpillar problems, it also summon hyperparasitoids, which can do away with its helpful bodyguards!

what the fuck.

so the cabbage plant evolved to enlist parasitoid wasps as a means of pest control, but the hyperparasitoid wasp evolved in turn to read the cabbage's own alert "signal" to the parasite wasps.

what the actual fuck.

nature would be hella awesome if it wasn't so god damned frightening.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2022

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    I am enchanted with their little fuzzy legs

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Also this is from ages ago but I only saw it recently, and thought "I bet BugBoy would find that cool". After massive flooding in Pakistan last year jillions of spiders sought safety in trees, resulting in this:

pakistan-trees-webs-1.jpg

• Options
    I wonder if I could convince spiders to do that in my room

• Options
    Apparently after that they had fewer mosquitos and a dramatically lower incidence of malaria than would be expected for the time of year and the amount of stagnant water around.

Spiders continuing to be the best arthropod, surprising nobody.

• Options

And what of the cabbage? Poelman writes that it’s caught between a rock and a hard place. By releasing chemicals that summon parasitoids, which can do away with its pesky caterpillar problems, it also summon hyperparasitoids, which can do away with its helpful bodyguards!

what the fuck.

so the cabbage plant evolved to enlist parasitoid wasps as a means of pest control, but the hyperparasitoid wasp evolved in turn to read the cabbage's own alert "signal" to the parasite wasps.

what the actual fuck.

nature would be hella awesome if it wasn't so god damned frightening.

Life, uh, life finds a way
    jurassic-park-12-jeff-goldblum-sam-neill-dr-ian-malcolm-dr-alan-grant.jpg

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I wonder if I could convince spiders to do that in my room

One of my D&D books has a list of small "horror" things you can do to spook a player and make them uneasy. One of them is that spiders really like the character and follow them around like puppies, occasionally offering them little, web-wrapped bugs as presents.

I had trouble figuring out how that was supposed to be horrific. It sounded adorable.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I plan to have a pet tarantula at some point in my life

l2gIJ.jpg

something like this Chilean Rose here

@Xehalus I wrote you a gat dang essay
    Hey, you should totally get a tarantula because they are awesome, and cheap and easy to keep, and they don't make mess or noise or smell.

Chilean Roses (Grammostola rosea / G. porteri) are mighty fine choices for first spider, but if you want to go for something a bit different there are 2 beginner-friendly species I can't recommend highly enough. The Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) and the Brazilian Black (G. pulchra). They are both in the same genus as roses and can be kept in identical conditions.

The Brazilian Black is (unsurprisingly) totally black. They are my favourite species, and the reason I started keeping Ts. They are the most chilled out, tolerant and sweet spiders and they look great. They get about the same size as roses but are less fuzzy.

Grammostola%20pulchra%20Mello-Leitao%201921,%20female,%20Uruguay.jpg?m=1299472387

The Chaco is brown with pinkish hairs and gold stripes on its knees. They are the largest of the Grammostola species and can hit 7 or 8". They are also totally chill.

Grammostola_aureostriata.jpg

I recommend chilled ones because if it's your first/only spider you'll probably want to get it out and hold it, and these species are good for that. The downside to all Grammys is they grow very slowly, so if you get a small one it will be small for a while, and big ones tend to be expensive.

If you are less fussed about handling, another great choice that I have to recommend is Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens aka Greenbottle Blue. They grow fast, are really colourful, produce lots of web and eat like demons, happy to take prey nearly their own size even as tiny babies. They are also one of my top species. And it's not like you couldn't handle one if you wanted, some people hold far more 'dangerous' species, but personally I don't like to hold the skittish ones, for their own sake.

2513878567_705c76006e.jpg

The big pro to getting a Chilean rose is they tend to be cheap. And there's nothing wrong with them, I have a rose and love her. But it's not the only spider out these for first time keepers and I just like to give props to my favourite varieties.

Also, please try and make sure you get a captive bred one. A lot of tarantulas - especially roses - get captured in the wild which will eventually threaten those species (the pet trade is the reason the Mexican Red Knee was the first tarantula to be put on the CITES list). If you're in America there are many good online breeders and traders and this is generally infinitely better than buying from a pet shop that knows nothing about Ts.

Right you probably didn't want a lecture but you flipped my switch. In case you couldn't tell I kind of love tarantulas. If you ever want to ask anything I am happy to go on at excessive length on the subject!

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular

With spiders, it's usually a way into your pants when you least expect it.

• Options
    edited November 2012

With spiders, it's usually a way into your pants when you least expect it.

:winky:

Edit: Good to know we still have the best smiley around.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    @smof

I appreciate the info and yeah I am going to aim for captive bred because I can't imagine how terrified a wild caught tarantula would be

and no one should ever buy a pet from a pet shop; you should always go through shelters

also that Golden Chaco looks cool and I might get one of those instead

Xehalus on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    We used to have a gnat problem.

Used to.

I love spiders!

My wife kills them on sight and I'm like "YOU ARE PLAYING IN THE HANDS OF THE GNAT ARMY"

• Options
    Chacos are lovely. I had one called Brian who my mum used to make me get out to show her friends because she (Brian) was so calm and charming that everybody loved her. She swayed her share of arachnophobes in her time.

I once demonstrated how harmless she was by letting her crawl all over my face. (Protip: don't do this, my face itched for a week after!)

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    I found these awhile ago when I was cleaning my pool,and both were in the filter areas where the leaves had piled up. What kinda spider is it?

snip

I'm thinking wolf spiders, based off the size/robustness

Hogna helluo

Some guy captured one and raised it. It's quite a handsome spider.

• Options
    Oh wow, those pics of mummy with the skirt of babies are amazing.

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    later in thread it appears only twenty of them survived due to cannibalism

• Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    I resurrect this thread to report that Nefertiti, the Spidernaut, passed away in DC
    NASA lost one of its most special and memorable astronauts this week: Nefertiti the space spider. Nefertiti, a jumping spider, became the first spider to survive a journey into space after spending 100 days in the International Space Station.
    'Space Spider' Nefertiti Dies After 100-Day International Space Station Voyage

“It is with sadness that we announce the death of Nefertiti, the ‘Spidernaut,’” the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History wrote on its Facebook page. “‘Neffi’ was introduced to visitors Thursday, Nov. 29, after traveling in space on a 100-day, 42-million-mile expedition en route to and aboard the International Space Station. She was there to take part in a student-initiated experiment on microgravity.”

Nefertiti, a Johnson Jumper spider (Phidippus johnsoni), took off for the International Space Station in July as a part of the Youtube Space Lab project in which viewers suggested scientific projects for astronauts. The “space spider” experiment was the brainchild of 18-year-old Amr Mohamed of Alexandria, Egypt.

While in space, Nefertiti was observed as she adapted her feeding habits and daily routines to the effects of zero gravity, according to CollectSpace. Missions relating to Nefertiti the space spider were overseen by NASA astronaut Sunita Williams, who would occasionally post updates on the spider via a NASA blog.

After landing back on Earth in October, Nefertiti found a new home in the Natural History Museum, where it became a member of the “Insect Zoo” attraction on Nov. 29. Inside the Insect Zoo, patrons of the museum could observe Nerfertiti alongside many other arachnids and insects. Unfortunately, visitors will no longer be able to observe her while alive.

"This morning, before museum hours, a member of the Insect Zoo staff discovered Neffi had died of natural causes," the museum wrote on Monday. "Neffi lived for 10 months. The lifespan of the species ... can typically reach up to one year."

While Nefertiti was not the first spider to explore the final frontier of space, it was the first to survive the ordeal. In 1973, two spiders, Arabella and Anita, were launched up to join the first United States space station, Skylab. But both spiders died while in orbit, though they were later preserved in the National Air and Space Museum, according to Yahoo.

Though Nefertiti is now dead, the space spider will continue to contribute to scientific knowledge on zero gravity.

“The loss of this special animal that inspired so many imaginations will be felt throughout the museum community. The body of Neffi will be added to the museum’s collection of specimens where she will continue to contribute to the understanding of spiders,” the museum wrote.

God speed, space spider.

117841278_01_362419c.jpg