As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Could it be maybe that was all washed there by a surge and then the water receded

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    that's actually just a bollard in Junji Ito's new theme park

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    jf0fb5lcowfh.png
    Okay, smartass. I maybe have a few small spiders and crickets here and there, but there are not enough bugs on my kitchen floor to sustain a mantis. Also super great to know that my weatherproofing is "nearly mantis-tight."

45cjp6b63yxy.png
    There you go. Plenty of bugs for you to chomp on out here. Roam free.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    It likely got in through your squirrel cage. We get a gecko or two in the house every summer and approximately 600 crickets.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    you're gonna need to explain what a squirrel cage is as the only google results I'm getting are hamster wheels and a specific type of electric motor

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    That pic was moments before the mantis ripped his finger off.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    you're gonna need to explain what a squirrel cage is as the only google results I'm getting are hamster wheels and a specific type of electric motor

I'm guessing that "squirrel cage" means a grate or other fine mesh barrier designed to prevent a squirrel or similarly sized pests from gaining access to your homes interior through vents, chimneys or other small openings.
    In this case, the mantis may have been small enough to squeeze through the barrier.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah the squirrel cage is the thing on your AC unit on your roof or wall so the fan doesn't spray squirrel guts into you house.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Still, that's a sweet looking mantis. I've never seen a wild one anywhere near that big here in Colorado.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Long time ago I worked at a grocery store early mornings and one day I had to go out back to dump trash and there were hundreds of mantis all over the back wall of the store soaking in the morning sunlight. That was my first time actually seeing any around here and it was amazing.

edited October 2019
    I have a spider friend who lives on the wall right outside the library's emergency exit.

597w06bcqehh.png

The little web-tent has been there for months, but they're almost always bundled up inside by the time I get to work. But I guess it's cool and cloudy enough that they just want to take a stroll, because here they are out of the tent!

af2j5qv9vg2t.png

What a magnificent little beast.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I have a spider friend who lives on the wall right outside the library's emergency exit.

597w06bcqehh.png

The little web-tent has been there for months, but they're almost always bundled up inside by the time I get to work. But I guess it's cool and butty enough that they just want to take a stroll, because here they are out of the tent!

af2j5qv9vg2t.png

What a magnificent little beast.

Butty?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/butty

Edit: oh wait, I forgot I still have that extension installed.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    This is the best possible outcome.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    EFST7mC.jpg

Any idea what kind of wasp these are? They've been chowing down on all the apples under the tree in our back yard... but unlike every other wasp I've ever encountered they didn't seem phased by my presence. I'm used to wasps being aggressive and chasing but even as I slowly cleaned up the apples around the ones they were eating they just kind of ignored me... wasn't sure if it was due to the type, or maybe the weather (it's been 60 pretty consistently here during the day, lower at night).

I also haven't seen a nest anywhere, despite how many were hanging out in my yard.

Perrsun on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Maybe the time of year. Not nesting any more and running out of food so more interested in eating than in you. They just look like regular yellow jackets to me.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Also a lot of the time if wasps have lots of food around they can be pretty docile, relatively.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    They're perfectly normal yellowjackets. During fall yellowjackets tend to be in a feeding frenzy, if you're not threatening their nest or them they're going to focus on food rather than you.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    I had to go past a wasp nest several times while working the other week, had them buzzing around me and landing on my head. They really aren't turbo hate machines all the time like some people think

Wasps and I have a complicated relationship because I wear a lot of tie-dye and apparently that just makes me look fuckin delicious or something I dunno

They just think you are really hip and groovy and want to be your friends but they are socially awkward and don't know how to express themselves

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    mbde5p2g8x6m.jpg

My daughter wants a vinegaroon. She got to hold one the other day at a parks department demonstration. One day she will own all of the bugs.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    That is a sublime looking luna moth there.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    They had models of different insects and arachnids (so fake moth, but a nice fake moth). They were going over the differences, and she was yelling out the answers. I tried to get her to raise her hand first, and give other kids a chance...
    But she's 5. And is very into bugs.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Kidnapper Ants Steal Other Ants' Babies - And Brainwash Them | Deep Look 4:55
    https://youtu.be/sC4MjPKf3jY

Kidnapper ants raid other ant species' colonies, abduct their young and take them back to their nest. When the enslaved babies grow up, the kidnappers trick them into serving their captors – hunting, cleaning the nest, even chewing up their food for them.

Peas on
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    edited November 2019
    Tarantulas Take Hooking Up To The Next Level | Deep Look 3:56
    https://youtu.be/5gOKd4cqFaY
    Every fall, male tarantulas leave home for good with one thing on their minds: sex. But before these spiders can make the ultimate connection, they have to survive the perils of the open road...which include their potential mates.

edit:

True Facts: Leafhoppers and Friends 5:34
    https://youtu.be/J4gJY_5eNqQ

These are really cool, I have no idea they exist

Peas on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    That is a sublime looking luna moth there.

Living art, tell ya what.

Woah! I had no idea spiders were such able swimmers.

The hairs on their body are hydrophobic, which is why small ones can basically run on the surface of a water body.

• bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Some spiders are, but that there tarantula really isn't.

Look at it, just flailing it's legs around trying to make some distance.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    The only nightmare it gives me is the thought of swimming as hard as you can yet being unable to reach land.

Gvzbgul on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2019
    ah, my homeland

7068110-3x2-700x467.jpg

Huntsman-killing spider wasps turn arachnids into baby incubators

Huntsman-killing spider wasps have been observed beginning their gruesome reproduction cycle in Adelaide.

Entomologist and manager of live exhibits at the Museum of Victoria Patrick Honan explained to 891 ABC Adelaide's Spence Denny that spider wasps hunt the arachnids and use them as live hosts to incubate their larvae.

"The wasps go out, seek a live huntsman and then there is a life and death battle between the wasp and the spider," Mr Honan said.

"Most often the wasp wins."

The wasp stings and paralyses the spider and then drags it back to its mud nest.

Link in case you really want to read the rest (it doesn't turn out well for the spider)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-06/huntsman-killer-spider-wasps-turn-crawlies-into-baby-incubators/7068188

tynic on
    edited December 2019
    I wonder if huntsman wasps and tarantula hawks are closely related, or if parasitoid wasps are just big enough assholes to independently find big giant spiders on opposite sides of the planet and think "That gives me an idea. A wonderful, awful idea."

I suspect the latter.

Edit: also, why didn't Children of Time include spider wasps? That would have been terrifying.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    Are Australian spider hunting wasps as scary as the ones in Africa? The ones in Africa will aggro extremely easily if you get near them while they have a spider and have been known to chase people substantial distances to sting them.

They also make a very distinctive, loud noise when flying, so it's easy for them to make an entire group of people panic just by flying past.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I wonder if huntsman wasps and tarantula hawks are closely related, or if parasitoid wasps are just big enough assholes to independently find big giant spiders on opposite sides of the planet and think "That gives me an idea. A wonderful, awful idea."

I suspect the latter.

Edit: also, why didn't Children of Time include spider wasps? That would have been terrifying.

Well, at the very least they're in the same Family- Pomipilidae, so they're decently related

The Australian species is probably Cryptocheilus bicolor and the Tarantula Hawk can be from a couple different species, but most people think of Pepsis formosa, which is the state insect of New Mexico.

Arch on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I'm a bad wasp biologist tho, that's Bugboy's thing

I'm a beetle guy, mostly, and a little bit of a mosquito and moth guy

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    ah, my homeland

7068110-3x2-700x467.jpg

Huntsman-killing spider wasps turn arachnids into baby incubators

Huntsman-killing spider wasps have been observed beginning their gruesome reproduction cycle in Adelaide.

Entomologist and manager of live exhibits at the Museum of Victoria Patrick Honan explained to 891 ABC Adelaide's Spence Denny that spider wasps hunt the arachnids and use them as live hosts to incubate their larvae.

"The wasps go out, seek a live huntsman and then there is a life and death battle between the wasp and the spider," Mr Honan said.

"Most often the wasp wins."

The wasp stings and paralyses the spider and then drags it back to its mud nest.

Link in case you really want to read the rest (it doesn't turn out well for the spider)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-06/huntsman-killer-spider-wasps-turn-crawlies-into-baby-incubators/7068188

thanks, i hate it