As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I don't live in Ireland Pinfeldorf. And yes it's a slow worm, a lady slow worm I do believe. They're a protected species here because they're in decline.

We do have snakes as well though! 2 whole species I think. Grass snake and adder.

Well. If you're in southern England you might have smooth snake as well. Smooth snake, grass snake and adder are exist in every european country north of the alps (except Ireland and Iceland)...and in many countries north of the alps they're the only species of snakes.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    You know what we call legless lizards? Snakes.

You don't want to hear what they call you

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    huh interesting! So they have different most recent common ancestors from the lizard family tree, and legless lizards have no eyelids, have ear holes and are mostly tail anatomically; while snakes have eyelids, no external ear organs, and are mostly body anatomically.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    huh interesting! So they have different most recent common ancestors from the lizard family tree, and legless lizards have no eyelids, have ear holes and are mostly tail anatomically; while snakes have eyelids, no external ear organs, and are mostly body anatomically.

No. Legless lizards have eyelids and snakes don't. Snakes have brilles instead, transparent scales that cover their eyes.

P.S: Also, legless lizards tend to have about the same proportion between tail and body as reglular lizards (so anywhere between 1/2 and 2/3rd being tail) while snakes are almost all body with only the last widdle bit being actual anatomic tail.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    But wait a sec. If they're called slow worm doesn't that mean they're related to to the annelid phylum?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    No that just means people who come up with animal names were dumb

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The slow worm penetrates the shield.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The slow worm gets the bird.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    This is what happens when you are too dedicated to walking without rhythm.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'm not dedicated to having no rhythm, I'm just white.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    I'm not dedicated to having no rhythm, I'm just white.

You mean it's not your weapon of choice?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    You people sound dangerously close to doubting the worm. Thats something you should never do

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    They call me Dr. Worm.

Good morning! How are you? I'm Dr. Worm.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    They call me Dr. Worm.

Are you interested in things?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    They call me Dr. Worm.

Are you interested in things?

I'm interested in things.

I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm I am an actual worm.

• Options
    Well that is the issue, I'm afraid, you've been sued for malpractice.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Misfeasance at worst, narc.

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    My snek, let me show you

Twitch is 10 years old. I have had him since he was a pinkie-eating hatchling in my college loft. He now tolerates a squealing 4 year old skin baby who thinks he's adorable. He is a Good Snek tm

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    The Atlantic posted an adorable hommage to Harvestmen that you all should read.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/08/harvestmen-legs/619655/

Best part is the link to a video of a harvestman grooming its legs.

https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/491667/view/harvestman-grooming-one-of-its-legs

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    My brother went on vacation into the scandinavian wilderness. Took this lovely picture of a beautiful species with very unlovely habits
    v9QpmCp.jpg
    It's a Reindeer nose botfly. It lays its eggs in reindeer noses.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    My brother went on vacation into the scandinavian wilderness. Took this lovely picture of a beautiful species with very unlovely habits
    v9QpmCp.jpg

It's a living.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    v9QpmCp.jpg

I like how it also has a side line in dressing up as a bee.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    There's also a rare subspecies that evolved red bioluminescence as a mating strategy.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I was outside just now, watching some ants cart off a chunk of walnut that fell out of the date cluster I was eating, and it got me thinking about what a complex cost/benefit problem it is for ants when they find food small enough to be dragged but too slow to carry.

Every ant that finds a food chunk has to decide whether they're going to help drag the whole thing back to the nest, or if they're going to bite off a smaller bit and just carry that. If they help to drag it, it moves faster, but there's a risk that some larger animal will come along and eat the whole thing, leaving all the ants with nothing. If they bite off a crumb, they get to keep that crumb and the main chunk gets a tiny bit lighter, but the main chunk also doesn't move as fast which increases the chance of it getting stolen. Plus there's a huge range of environmental factors that would constantly change the various risks involved.

It made me wonder how capable ants are of balancing all these risks, or if they just have a general behaviour that they always follow.

• Options
    I figure take back to nest is always better because it's at least as likely to be eaten by a larger animal if left out while being taken back in small pieces as it is to be eaten by one while it's being taken back in one piece

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    291pkl2lv70t.png

"You know this prison won't hold me forever, Charles. Just let me hang out in your bathtub."

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Worst job by human definition. Because for an ant becoming a "gatherer" isn't really a promotion. It's because they're becoming old and are considered the most expendable. Meanwhile a honeypot ant is right where it's safest and most comfy.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od4971IW4vw

Ant whose primary function is to explode its toxic guts all over intruders: "Yeah, that's pretty rough. Tell me more about your big honey butt."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Ahh man spiders are so cool and fun (Specifically tarantulas here). I have 7 of them right now, and just ordered 4 more, and it is super fun watching them do their thing.

Like, my A. seemanni is in an 8x8x12 enclosure, with about 6 inches of substrate, and they have excavated basically the entirety of the bottom 2 1/2 inches of subtrate to make a tunnel loop around the enclosure, with an entrance leading up to the hide I put in for them. Today I found the lil bugger laying down webbing around the entrance. Other times they will sit just outside the hide, waiting. They've also filled the waterdish about three dozen times during this construction project,

Meanwhile, the B. emilia has kicked out a mound of substrate to the front of their hide, and can only occasionally be spotted as a few legs sticking out of the hole from under hide. This one molted a month ago and just yesterday finally struck prey hard and drug it underground.

My A. avicularia spent the first month I had them just sitting on the side of their enclosure. Tarantulas can stand still for a long time after a rehouse, but part of me wondered if I just put it together wrong. So I pulled the decorations out, drilled some holes in the corklog, clipped a plastic fern plant apart, and put them in the holes. This created semi natural makeshift tunnels up the log. The spider now stays underneath these small fern leaves, and is in the midst of creating web tunnels.

Then there are the slings. Got a P. pulcher sling that has made a really cool web tunnel between pieces of cork, and spends their time there.

Meanwhile, the H. Maculata has all but vanished as they have dug a hole out at the bottom of some of the cork in their enclosure. Hell, I only occasionally see a few legs hunched at the entrance of their hideaway. Aside from these rare sightings, the only proof the spider is still there is when I wake up in the morning and they have pushed a few more clumps of substrate out the entrance of the burrow they are expanding.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Ahh man spiders are so cool and fun (Specifically tarantulas here). I have 7 of them right now, and just ordered 4 more, and it is super fun watching them do their thing.

Like, my A. seemanni is in an 8x8x12 enclosure, with about 6 inches of substrate, and they have excavated basically the entirety of the bottom 2 1/2 inches of subtrate to make a tunnel loop around the enclosure, with an entrance leading up to the hide I put in for them. Today I found the lil bugger laying down webbing around the entrance. Other times they will sit just outside the hide, waiting. They've also filled the waterdish about three dozen times during this construction project,

Meanwhile, the B. emilia has kicked out a mound of substrate to the front of their hide, and can only occasionally be spotted as a few legs sticking out of the hole from under hide. This one molted a month ago and just yesterday finally struck prey hard and drug it underground.

My A. avicularia spent the first month I had them just sitting on the side of their enclosure. Tarantulas can stand still for a long time after a rehouse, but part of me wondered if I just put it together wrong. So I pulled the decorations out, drilled some holes in the corklog, clipped a plastic fern plant apart, and put them in the holes. This created semi natural makeshift tunnels up the log. The spider now stays underneath these small fern leaves, and is in the midst of creating web tunnels.

Then there are the slings. Got a P. pulcher sling that has made a really cool web tunnel between pieces of cork, and spends their time there.

Meanwhile, the H. Maculata has all but vanished as they have dug a hole out at the bottom of some of the cork in their enclosure. Hell, I only occasionally see a few legs hunched at the entrance of their hideaway. Aside from these rare sightings, the only proof the spider is still there is when I wake up in the morning and they have pushed a few more clumps of substrate out the entrance of the burrow they are expanding.

I'm reading this post, but I'm not seeing any pictures or videos of your delightful spider buddies.
    Is there something wrong with my internet? Are the forums broken?

• Options
    c4oKkVh.jpg

I have some trimming to do

• Options
    edited August 2021
    From tiniest to biggest, my spoders

First up we have a Tliltocatl albopilosus, the curly haired tarantula.
    Tliltocatl is a recent genus. All Tliltocatl species used to be Brachypelma, until they were split off in 2019. My most recent and tiniest addition, I don't have much for pictures of this one.
    c0GdZGy.jpg
    1i1yXih.jpg
    This lil bugger is maybe a quarter of an inch DLS (diagonal leg span: fully stretched out, the length from R1 to L4) on a good day and was given to me by a local store. One of their reptile regulars was in asking about Ts and, since I never get a chance to actually talk about them ever, I went overboard like a kid at the museum talking to their guide about dinosaurs. The shop gave him a curly sling, and then handed me one. These slings came from a recent pairing, the shop had about 200 more in the back. Apparently, when they get pairings like this of the common species, they usually all end up donated to the Purdue entomology department.

Now we have one of my favorites. This one is one of the most active, with one of the better feeding responses, and will happily sit in the open doing their thing: the Psalmopoeus pulcher, or Panama blonde tarantula.
    ck3Jk0t.jpg

x3bq4Ui.jpg
    This P. pulcher is around 3/4 of an inch and full of energy. They will retreat in to the beautiful web tunnel they made when I open the lid of their enclosure, but they are quick to resurface, and are happy to sit still for pictures (which I really need to do).

Our next fuzzy spoder is the Heteroscodra maculata, or the Togo Starburst baboon. An arboreal species, this sling isn't super comfortable getting way up there yet and has chosen a fossorial life. Not uncommon for baby spoders. I have exactly two pictures of this spider. One of them hunkering down the day I bought and rehoused them, and one from yesterday where they peaked a few legs out just far enough to be seen.
    5fFlrv5.jpg

nTnOdjt.jpg
    I believe they are waiting for food, however they scurry back inside when I open the enclosure up so I've had no luck getting any shots or video of them yet.

Up next is the purchase that got me back in the hobby, a Brachypelma emilia, the Mexican redleg tarantula. This common name is one of about 4 this species can be called, and is almost identical to the common names of half a dozen other Brachypelma, hence the reliance on scientific names. It actually took me a while to figure out wtf this one was, since petsmart just had them labeled as "assorted Mexican red tarantulas", and hits online where hard to verify since Brachypelma has a few that look very similar. Using the triangle of black on the carapace, and the black knees, I was able to confidently identify it. This lil one is the first of my Ts that has molted, which they did while I was at work. Scared the crap outta my wife, as since she is not at all into spoders, it is easy to see a molting spode and think they are dead, since they generally flip over to do it.
    rOP9qZJ.jpg

0AEEgLf.jpg

rBqzX4A.jpg
    This one is only around two inches, so it is not out on display very much. In fact, after rehousing day, they haven't been beyond that makeshift hole they burrowed out.

One of the more elusive spiders I have, an Avicularia avicularia, or pinktoe tarantula. While it isn't uncommon for spiders to be statuesque for a while after a rehouse, this beauty sat on the corner of the enclosure for weeks. I was pretty sure I set this enclosure up wrong. So took everything out, clipped apart the overly large plastic plant, and out the leaves in holes I drilled in the corkboard. This seemed to do the trick as almost immediately, they moved underneath the leaves. Of course, they have yet to move out from underneath there but are webbing it nicely and sill taking food, so I call that a win.
    ENPOOGK.jpg
    k2zE6tC.jpg
    I'm hoping they molt soon and get a bit bigger so they'll feel more comfortable being out.

Another recent purchase, and the second largest of my collection, my Acanthoscurria geniculata, the Braziliam white knee. This one I haven't spent much time getting pictures or observing, because she (the only spider I know the gender of thanks to a pre-purchase molt) is still in the enclosure from the store, which has a black plastic lid, so visibility is nil unless the lid is off and no, I'll not be letting anything run free. Still, she strikes prey with a ferocity and speed none of the others come close to matching (like, eating three large crickets at once)
    qdOURLR.jpg
    iektIJJ.jpg
    I'll be looking to get her in an acryllic enclosure more like my other spodes soon. Just need to pay down some card since they aren't exactly cheap.

And finally, my biggest, the Aphonapelma seemanni, or Costa Rican zebra tarantula. My second purchase, largest spider, and current bane of my existence on account of daily filling their water bowl with substrate.
    70s3NzH.jpg

dnHhgxm.jpg

I2wdlrE.jpg

qBjBEnz.jpg

y4LLR69.jpg

iNWv83C.jpg
    Their tank mode looks great. I think they've gotten more skittish than when I first purchased them. Their original enclosure had a mesh top, which they got their claws stuck in twice and were left dangling until I saw and was able to free them, which I think made them wary. Before I purchased these cribs, I had pulled the mesh out and replaced it with an acryllic sheet. I like the full acryllic enclosure better, though sadly, the lid is held in place by magnets and whenever I open it, it jolts the enclosure enough, they bolt down the tunnel they have made. I'm hoping this skittishness fades.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    Also, I found an app today called ExotiKeeper. This will come in handy now that I have double digit Ts

Se3XYQ6.jpg

Let's you enter a ton of info to track your individual animals. Categories can be expanded to include reptiles and other creatures.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Oohhhh that can be handy for my daughter's hermits. We're always forgetting their molting dates.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    Oohhhh that can be handy for my daughter's hermits.

So it looks like hermits aren't a default category, however you can make a custom category, and enter custom detail fields. So if it isn't there, with a little bit of work you could set it up quickly enough.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Yeah the first thing I noticed from your screenshots was the molting tracker (I'm guessing that's the thing with the shovel?) which would be totally worth it by itself.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    Yeah the first thing I noticed from your screenshots was the molting tracker (I'm guessing that's the thing with the shovel?) which would be totally worth it by itself.

So box is purchase date
    House is rehouse
    Shovel is substrate change
    Cricket is feeding.
    Only the B. emilia has molted so none of the others has the icon but it is a yellow T with stretched out legs. Dunno if you could change that to something more hermit appropriate