Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Hmm. I wonder how it figured out the whole jumping thing in zero G. I wish they had some videos of it.

Also would be interesting to take a web-making species up and see whether they would make their webs differently in zero G.

Space spiders is an interesting idea!

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    so cute

wish I'd been able to see her

go blaze trails into the universe, spider

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    This thread is neat. I am fascinated and repulsed by insects and spiders at the same time. I'm okay with them as long as they don't invade my personal space. And I'm so clueless when it comes to spiders that I would prefer to kill whatever is in my house and not take any brown recluse chances.

There have been, however, a delightful group of jumping spiders living on our screen door this spring and summer. I hope they come back next spring. I know they are harmless... to me... and wouldn't hurt them.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    lucky

jumping spiders are the cutest

• Options
    edited December 2012
    This weekend, we went to Cooper Creek Park, right near my house. My 11 year old daughter wanted to walk all the way around the park, so we did. Coming by a particular section with an old wooden handrail, she about jumped in my arms. It was covered by harvestmen. What I call daddy long legs. It's hard to get used to calling them harvestmen. Anyway, I thought they were pretty neat.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    This weekend, we went to Cooper Creek Park, right near my house. My 11 year old daughter wanted to walk all the way around the park, so we did. Coming by a particular section with an old wooden handrail, she about jumped in my arms. It was covered by harvestmen. What I call daddy long legs. It's hard to get used to calling them harvestmen. Anyway, I thought they were pretty neat.
    Harvestmen are pretty cool in that a lot of species of them "get along" really well and form big gatherings where they all get "shit hammered" and listen to "Insane Clown Posse" with their fellow "spider juggalos." The scientific term for this is the "Dark Carnival of Opiliones."

Walt on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    When I was a young and terrible child I remember finding a huge clump of harvestmen on the wall of my grandparents' house, like a good metre squared mass of them. I freaked out and blasted them with a garden hose :(

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    @BugBoy Can I ask for your assistance?

My wife found some insect larva stockpile under a cardboard box in Jillian's room today. I am rather unhappy.
    Picture 1 Picture 2

I'm guessing these are probably ant or termite larva?

• Options
    yeah, those are termite larva

sorry that they're in your house, they can be a pain

• Options
    Thanks dude.

Also I apologize, I just realized that I just asked you to be an exterminator.

• Options
    nah, don't worry about it

I don't like killing bugs, but there are times when its necessary and this is one of them

if they came to my house I'd get rid of them too

• Options
    edited December 2012
    So I know I am a bit of a broken record on this subject but I am so happy that I want to tell everyone.

Just got delivery of something I ordered as a Christmas present to myself.

Spoilered for the arachnophobes (though I guess why are you in this thread?)
    This is a female Poecilotheria regalis aka Indian Ornamental. They are not rare in the hobby but I am super excited because she is balls-out beautiful. I have a smaller, male P. regalis already and have been on the look out for a female larger than him, so when he matures she will be ready and waiting and I can try breeding them.
    pRlC1.jpg

Pokies (hobby term for the Poecilotheria genus) are arboreal, fast as fuck, have a potent venom that can put you in A&E and are reknowned for being either incredibly skittish and completely freaking out when disturbed, or very defensive and standing their ground and trying to bite.
    For those not in the know this is called a threat pose and it basically means "leave me alone or I will end you." Unfortunately for her I am not a small woodland mammal I am a human with tools, so all that happened is she bit the plastic ruler I used to herd her out of that tub.
    And if anyone can look at the colours on this beast and still proclaim that spiders are ugly I just don't know what to say.
    Sm35k.jpg

And here she is in all her glory. She has a 5" legspan at the moment and they can reach 9" so she has a way to go yet. I have named her Makdi, which is the Hindi word for spider.
    QnbMD.jpg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    she's gorgeous wow

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    As an arachnophobe

That's a fucking beautiful spider.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Yay!

edit: god that smiley is horrible

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    Yesterday, while I was driving to work, a spider decided to hang out right in front of my face.

Now, I'm super phobic, so I start freaking out. Luckily, I was at a stoplight, otherwise I might have careened off the road, taking the spider with me. Finally, I found a book sitting in my passenger seat, so I grabbed it and swung.

I still haven't found the body. I'm pretty certain he's watching, waiting in my air vents, waiting for the opportune time to strike back.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    monsterror wrote: »
    Yesterday, while I was driving to work, a spider decided to hang out right in front of my face.

Now, I'm super phobic, so I start freaking out. Luckily, I was at a stoplight, otherwise I might have careened off the road, taking the spider with me. Finally, I found a book sitting in my passenger seat, so I grabbed it and swung.

I still haven't found the body. I'm pretty certain he's watching, waiting in my air vents, waiting for the opportune time to strike back.

Yep. You're going to forget about it

Then on the first warm day of spring you'll turn on the AC and

Bam, baby spiders just shooting at your face.

like a baby spider facial

• Options
    I really hate to jam up this thread with this moment of complaining, because bugs in general are really freaking awesome. I'm no BugBoy but I can certainly appreciate nature's multilegged exoskeletal creatures. So, with that...

Son of a bitch. Termite pest control is expensive.

That being said, I really enjoy watching flying insects, especially bees. I can stare at a bush for long moments just watching them fly from flower to flower.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    imagine if like, spiders looked like they do now except have the same kind of flesh we do and same eyes, so they look like tiny people spiders

would you still smush them with toilet paper

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    no

I would use a bat

• Options
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    It now seems to officially be golden orb weaver season over in sydney. I saw my first completely occupied tree. Annoyingly I didn't have my phone at the time, but still. More to come.

Also

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    tumblrmfdpl6oij21qzou5k.jpg
    Twig-like praying mantises are snapped by professional photographer Mehmet Karaca in his hometown in Kahramanmaras, a province in Turkey

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    As I work in the middle of fucking nowhere, I see some interesting insects now and then.

For instance:

silverstripedbug.jpg

This one was about an inch and a half long overall.

Then I saw it's bigger sparklier sibling (this one was about three and a half inches overall):

silverandgoldstripedbug.jpg

Anybody have any ideas more specific than "a flying bug" as to what these are?

• Options
    They're beetles, but I don't know for sure what kind

Longhorn maybe?

• Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    They look quite a bit like longhorn beetles, but I don't know if you have them in Australia.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, according to the Queensland Museum site, there are over a thousand Australian longhorn species.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Thanks guys!

• Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    Thanks Dru, I was at work so I couldn't look it up to be sure.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's entirely possible you photographed a species that hasn't actually been cataloged yet!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Now that the bugs are beginning to emerge for the spring, this thread should too!

Today I came across an ant mating flight. There were males flying around all over the place. I found the virgin queen a little further on, which was awesome. Hopefully she got fertilized and went to start her own colony someplace. I also saw a spider taking advantage of the nuptials to grab dinner.

And all of this on my way home!

A pretty good start to the season!

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    tumblrmkjtgv5bbn1qzqvm2.jpg
    This incredible invertebrate is Scolopendra gigantea, though it also goes by the names Amazonian giant centipede, Peruvian giant yellow-leg centipede and the bat-eating centipede. Bats are but one of many vertebrates Scolopendra gigantea preys on - it has been known to devour frogs, toad, small lizards, snakes (up to around 24 cm long), mice and birds the size of a sparrow. Though it has a potent venom, it possibly is the least remarkable part of how it preys on bats.

• Options
    I see centipedes that look quite similar to that in the bush all the time. They're only about 4-5 inches long, though.

• Options
    BugBoy wrote: »
    Now that the bugs are beginning to emerge for the spring, this thread should too!

Today I came across an ant mating flight. There were males flying around all over the place. I found the virgin queen a little further on, which was awesome. Hopefully she got fertilized and went to start her own colony someplace. I also saw a spider taking advantage of the nuptials to grab dinner.

And all of this on my way home!

A pretty good start to the season!

I hate when I run into a cloud of insects like that. They're usually really tiny and get in my eyes and mouth and ears. And I just know what they were just doing to each other. Perverts.

In my mouth and ears and eyes. Ugh.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    AAAAAaaaaAAAaAAAaAAAaaaaaAAAAAAaaaAAaAaano but actually that is hells of neat.

It's an atlas moth or something?

• Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

It is precisely an Atlas Moth, I would have twelve as pets if they weren't, like most "adult" metamorphic stages, merely distribution devices for the next generation, with a lifespan of weeks/days and NO MOUTHPARTS

• Options
    I see centipedes that look quite similar to that in the bush all the time. They're only about 4-5 inches long, though.

Geez, if I had centipedes that long in the bush I believe I would trim down there.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

Its wingtips look like snake faces.

broken image link
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Da bee loves da prickly.

1Jq1IOG.jpg

woEWBvZ.jpg

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I found a beautiful little beetle today

he was metallic blue

other recent finds include a zebra jumping spider and a boxelder bug

BugBoy on