As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    there is absolutely the tiniest little orb weaver spider in the most ibblest of webs in my old chlamadis vine. she is so tiny i can't get a picture of her which means of course that she is also a ghost

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The other day I was doing garden things and I found my first Steatoda nobilis aka Noble False Widow spider. A species that UK newspapers periodically lose their minds about when they don't have enough scary trans people or immigrant stories because they are 'related to' black widows. They are not dangerous.

This one was missing 2 front right legs and had a hole clear through her carapace (front left quarter) which I found interesting, I would have thought a wound like that would have made her bleed out but I guess not.

4ya0cjzzyhc8.jpg

The next day I was doing garden things again and thought I'd see if she was still there, and I did find her, but she had apparently become dinner overnight

g17sav8qsdzn.jpg

RIP lady. The culprit was identified as a Drassodes sp. aka Stone Spider, who regularly prey on other spiders. This fucker was speedy and I did a lot of undignified flailing as it kept running at me while I was trying to photograph it. Apparently I still have like 1% of my old arachnophobic response when it comes to true spiders.

gm5jne36ul8b.jpg

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I think this has come up before, but I can't recall and I'll be damned if I'm going down that rabbit hole, but what's a true spider?

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    I think this has come up before, but I can't recall and I'll be damned if I'm going down that rabbit hole, but what's a true spider?

hobbyist term to denote "not tarantula"

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »

hobbyist term to denote "not tarantula"

Well. True spiders are spiders with relatively small pinchy fangs that cross when biting. As opposed to Mygalomorphae (tarantulas, mouse spiders, australian funnel-spiders etc. Basically primitive spiders with really big chompers that puncture downwards) or Liphistiidae (Segmented spiders. A group of weirdo asian spiders that are the last descendants of a mostly extinct family. They have segmented plates on their abdomen and have downwards puncturing fangs, but not as big as mygalomorphs).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Googled liphistiidae and you coulda told me those were ranchos and I would have believed you.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    onc4w953ac8s.png

Thanks, Google. AI knocking it out of the park already, I see.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    that's not even a spider monkey!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    that's not even a spider monkey!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't see the lower half, maybe they're a drider monkey.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Did some rehousings today so have some hairy spiders.

Makulu, Theraphosa stirmi L03 female

novkden0sc3u.jpg

nyix0m3nfih2.jpg

Portia, Psalmopoeus irminia L07 male. Absolutely did not want to cooperate with photos

7maaj1abqwbd.jpg

2 Monocentropus balfouri. I think L03/04 but it's hard to know. Rehoused my communal and all 10 are still alive which is great news; I'd only seen a max of 4 at once recently and some were really fat so I was a bit worried.

5002l9fvdf4n.jpg

Nkombi, Ceratogyrus darlingi L03 unsexed.

n8cpeaj63a23.jpg

• Options
    Will your communal housing produce slings in the future? Or is that not a thing because they're all from the same brood?

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Will your communal housing produce slings in the future? Or is that not a thing because they're all from the same brood?

I don't know about Balfouri specifically, but it's possible the males will mature and die out before the female is even ready to breed, with them being about the same age. But that's more a problem for dwarf species.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I don't think so, for the reason Shifty said. The males will mature before the females.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Basically, all female tarantulas are cougars

• Options
    What I will probably do is as males mature I'll remove them and send them off for breeding. Then once I have mature females, I dunno, maybe I'll get hold of a male to stick in there if I want to suddenly have hundreds of grandchildren.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I assume all cougar females are tarantulas?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I assume all cougar females are tarantulas?

No. It's an easy mistake to make as they're both fuzzy, but cougars have half the number of legs than an average tarantula. Other than that though, they're practically the same animal.
    Might be more accurate to say cougar females are half tarantulas, until two fuse into a single tarantula with the correct amount of legs.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    so what I'm hearing is I should start working on the script for the next Syfy original, Cougantula

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Bad phone pic taken through plastic, but my L. subcanens just molted and got her full adult appearance. She's so fuzzy.

t9txtv8k32mj.jpg

Her molt was 8.2cm (about 3.3"?) legspan so I reckon she's pushing 10cm (4") now because she always puts on a chunk of growth with each molt. About half grown I reckon. Was able to confirm her sex with this molt and am delighted she's a girl because I'd suspected she was male previously, and I've never seen this species for sale before or since getting her so I really wanted a female. She's definitely the most tarantula-ass looking tarantula in my collection. I loves her.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    cet96dgr7m2o.png

This elegant beast showed up in my parents' back yard after a week of flooding in the surrounding area. Some kind of pond slider, do you think? They can't get a good picture of the head because it is extremely shy and goes inside if anyone gets within twenty feet of it.

8q65gvqepom2.png

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Red-eared slider I think? The shell certainly looks spot on.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Good call, that definitely looks like a match.

Show us your ears, you weird little tank monster

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Offer it some pizza

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Goddamn ticks

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Goddamn ticks

the-tick-cartoon.gif

• Options
    New skin, who dis

fzoc396igdu5.jpg

Got a better pic of my P. irminia as well. Shame about having to take it through plastic but oh well.

g1g1wd7upqv2.jpg

• Options
    mnyag9xgytuq.png

I have a spider! It was hanging out on my back porch for a while, but I've spotted it in various parts of the kitchen every day for a week. Seems like a pretty chill little critter, hopefully wants to chow down on some flies.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    He thinks he's people!

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Monitor lizards stand on their back legs more often than people think. Even the really big ones like Komodos.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Monitor lizards stand on their back legs more often than people think. Even the really big ones like Komodos.

That seems... pretty nightmarish, actually!

• Options
    He's just a lil guy.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    just a normal man

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    just a normal man

just an innocent man

• Options
    gflj1jipqur1.png

Big game hunter.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    All insects can be divided into one of two distinct groups: those that, when presented with a sideways cup, say "Fuck yes, free hiding spot", and those that instead say "Fuck that, I'm wise to your game."

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    crzyangocrzyango Registered User regular
    Joro spiders are driving me insane right now, at last count there are 15 attached to my house. They appeared in the last week, and I hate them.
    h6avtook6z57.jpg