Options

The thread for things with more/less than two legs (NSF ento/arachno/ophidiophobes)

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also also, cool fact about many sarracenia is that they produce a nectar at the top of the pitcher to attract insects and many sarracenia (don't know if it's true of all) that nectar contains the alkaloid coniine which is believed to effectively sedate insects so they're more likely to fall into the pitcher.

Evolution is rad.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular
    There's something wonderful about carnivorous flora. No one ever suspects the carrot until it's too late.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I remember watching a David Attenborough doc, maybe Life of Plants, that showed a species of pitcher plant which commonly has a species of spider living inside it. Just hanging out on,a web centimetres above the digestive juice. The plant is so good at luring bugs in that the spider can help itself and they both do ok.

That is a smart fucking spider! I bet it feels so smug.

• Options
    I have the book to that show, signed by Attenborough that I got at one of his readings! The cool thing about spiders living in pitchers is that they want different nutrients from the insects than the plants do, so they're not stealing anything from the plant because their waste contains the nitrates and phosphates the plant wants from the insect anyway.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Basically they're just digesting the bug for the plant.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    nature bros

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    We can't see it, but that spider's sporting the equivalent of a fake tan to other spiders.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    I've always really liked symbiotic relationships in nature.

Like how cows wouldn't be able to digest all the grass they eat if it weren't for a type of bacteria that does it for them.

• Options
    Kaplar wrote: »
    I've always really liked symbiotic relationships in nature.

Like how cows wouldn't be able to digest all the grass they eat if it weren't for a type of bacteria that does it for them.

And the best thing is that those relationships go right back to the beginning of life. The human race and most other things roaming the planet owe their existance to symbiosis. The remains of those creatures which are now one, comprise the physical form of nearly everything.

Life is layers and layers of symbiosis successively changing creatures: little things combining to make bigger things which then roam the planet like squishy megazords.

• Options
    Yup. Thanks, mitochondria. You weird thing you.

• Options
    My Sarracenia rubra has the cutest, tiny widdle pitchers.

283728_10151658921161103_323207104_n.jpg

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I met a bunch of these guys in Portugal:

aaarhgetitoffme.jpg

Meet Argiope Lobata, the biggest spider in Europe. It gets it's name from the cerebral shape of their abdomen.

They are crazy pretty and very strong! I took this picture myself and it's legspan was around 12 cm, it's body close to 4 cm.
    When I tossed a little twig in one of their huge golden webs (which are amazingly strong as well) the little bugger just threw it out with a nice little arc.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    taking that macro shot took all the courage i had though.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    http://imgur.com/gallery/SPr4k

@Bugboy
    This guy got a beekeeper instead of an exterminator.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That guy is a boss.

• Options
    You could say he's the bees knees

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    That is terrifying and also amazing

• Options
    smof wrote: »
    You could say he's the bees knees

Oh, honey.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    My faith in humanity is restored and then some

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Dude's house is gonna have an ant problem soon. You see all that honey?

Just googled if ants like honey. Nevermind!

Kaplar on
  • Options
    Dude's house is gonna have an ant problem soon. You see all that honey?

Just googled if ants like honey. Nevermind!

Because that's how you get ants, Barry!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Yup. Thanks, mitochondria. You weird thing you.

And probably other assorted organelles too. But in a very real way, you're thanking yourself because you are mitochonrdria.

And even multicellularity is a kind of symbiosis.

Check out these fine Volvoxes. All chillin' and being multicelled.

Mikrofoto.de-volvox-4.jpg

Sup?

While they were late to the whole multicelled party, they're a great example of evolution going back to the classics. And a good way to study the origins of multicelled creatures.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I just went to brush my teeth and found a large beetle clumsily flying about the bathroom

so I grabbed it and took it outside

I accidentally dropped it on its back, but before I could fix that it flipped itself over, making a cool sound as it did so

yay click beetles

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I saw this on my car today. I tried to get him off before I left for work, but he ran inside the crack between the door and the fender. I'm pretty sure he's going to die hanging out on my car and cooking all day and I feel pretty bad about that.

Green_crab_spider_1-800_zpseea744a0.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    I just went to brush my teeth and found a large beetle clumsily flying about the bathroom

I accidentally dropped it on its back, but before I could fix that it flipped itself over, making a cool sound as it did so

yay click beetles

I always find click beetles annoying. Because they always seem to find their way into my bedroom, and then they fall on their back, and keep on clicking to try and get upright, and then just fail again and again and again and again and I'm trying to sleep and it's annoying.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    So my marmorkrebs are increasing almost exponentially in size still. The biggest of the three is almost always about a quarter larger than her roommates, but they manage to keep up within a span of about two weeks. They started about three cm and have roughly doubled in length since, which has only been about two months. By the end of summer they're gonna be huge.

• Options
    Lalabox wrote: »
    BugBoy wrote: »

yay click beetles

I always find click beetles annoying. Because they always seem to find their way into my bedroom, and then they fall on their back, and keep on clicking to try and get upright, and then just fail again and again and again and again and I'm trying to sleep and it's annoying.

some people would pay good money for a CD of songs that reflect on the futility of life

you get it for free

• Options
    I saw this on my car today. I tried to get him off before I left for work, but he ran inside the crack between the door and the fender. I'm pretty sure he's going to die hanging out on my car and cooking all day and I feel pretty bad about that.

Green_crab_spider_1-800_zpseea744a0.jpg

That
    is
    adorable

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    there was a jumping spider on the little storage unit next to the motorhome i'm staying in. i watched him scuttle around for like ten minutes, and then i got a little too close and he went into is threat display and i was like 030

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    this is making the rounds and I figured

hey this is everything we like all in one place

6m4l6gxl.jpg

EDIT: a resizing was required mi scusi

Seriously on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The forum auto-resizes.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    not the gigglebites it doesn't

Seriously on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I dont really know what im looking at

Is that a tarantula riddled with that zombie fungus?

• Options
    Yeah, looks like cordyceps

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

That is nightmare fuel! That poor tarantula.

• Options
    I think I need a good tarantula thing to bleach the bad tarantula thing from my brain. So here's a video of a tarantula doing the most incredible thing arthropods do.

Imagine if any time you needed to get bigger you had to split your skin open and pull your body out through the hole, without any bones so you can't push. Animals with exoskeletons have to do that and it is amazing and means they ain't give a fuck about losing legs because when they shed they just grow it back.

Tarantulas usually do this lying on their back, but this is a video of one doing it upright so you can see a lot better what's going on. It is a timelapse video because this process can potentially take 24 hours or more for an adult tarantula. In the photos at the beginning you can see the black patch on the abdomen which shows the spider is ready to moult. It's actually a bald patch where it's kicked off hairs, and the black is the hairs on the new exoskeleton forming underneath. You can also see how the carapace (the flat bit on the top of the spider's front section) splits around the edge and lifts away like a lid when the moulting begins. The weird pulsing motions are because without bones the only way the animal can forced itself out of its old skin is by pumping fluid from its abdomen into its legs.

Any animal with an exoskeleton does this, but obviously I'm going to post a video of a tarantula doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFo4xXzsQhU

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Man, imagine getting an itch on your nose halfway through.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    well, that terrifies me for reasons i cannot explain.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I was wondering why the uploader decided to use music from Inception

then I realised

It's a spider within a spider