As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Theme Parks: They're Like Expensive Playgrounds

14567810»

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    MrDapper wrote: »
    Whats it like working with Jessie Eisenberg?
    How many times do you hear that joke?

Just now!

Though I was waiting for one like it

Etchwarts on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i went to cedar point last week

cedar point is fun

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I haven't been there in a few years.. :(

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBlkau4sRnE

Ghostrider at Knotts Berry Farm. I love it because it feels like an old-school wooden roller coaster, with how jerky it is.

Sidenote: it is impossible to find a video of it on youtube that isn't jerking in 20 different directions.

I usually love roller coasters but this one made my neck hurt a ton from all the shaking.

broken image link
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    I'm really considering taking a ride up to Six Flags New England, its only about an hour and a half from here. A few trips around the Bizarro (Formerly Superman Ride Of Steel) coaster would take the edge off of waiting for our big upcoming WDW trip in November.

But.

Parking is 20 dollars. TWENTY.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    So, when I was a kid, my parents took me to Americana, which was an Ohio (I think, it's been a while) park. I loved it, and thought the name was a mushing up of America and Canada. Like I said, I was young.

So, a year ago or so, when those "What if people disappeared" shows came on, showing urban decay, one of the places they showed was...Americana. Apparently, shortly after I went there, it closed down, and now is a creepy abandoned amusement park.

I couldn't watch the rest of the episode, it just upset me too much.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Uriel wrote: »

It was sort of a weird experience going with my friend

I used to go there all the time with my family when I was really little and we'd ride absolutely everything. The Corkscrew, the Mean Streak, the Gemini, and so on. Even a lot of the carnival rides. The Raptor and the Mantis and the Magnum were the three big awesome rides that topped off the experience

Going some 15 years later with my friend and its a bit of a fight to get him to go on anything that was built before the Millennium Force. He didn't start going to the park until like 2007 so for him those older rides don't have any real charm or value when he could be riding all the new crazy modern ones they've put in since then

The Raptor used to arguably be the best ride in the park and now its something you hit, maybe, if you're on the way to the MF and the line isn't too long

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    i went to islands of adventure with my gf the other week and it was real fun (and hot, like the only day it didn't rain and boy was it a scorcher)

rode front row of hulk which was awesome but what not awesome is that my gf passed out for a part of it which was very worrisome

also you'd have to pay me to ride the harry potter ride again
    it was cool but my neck and head took a real beating on that ride

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    I'm really considering taking a ride up to Six Flags New England, its only about an hour and a half from here. A few trips around the Bizarro (Formerly Superman Ride Of Steel) coaster would take the edge off of waiting for our big upcoming WDW trip in November.

But.

Parking is 20 dollars. TWENTY.

This made me wonder what the distance and price difference is between Six Flags NE and Six Flags NJ. They're the same distance from my house (+/-10 miles) and NE is $2 more to get in, $2 cheaper to park. Considering my unemployment just ran out, though, I don't think that's in the cards for us any time soon because maaaaaaan I forgot how expensive theme parks are

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    i went to islands of adventure with my gf the other week and it was real fun (and hot, like the only day it didn't rain and boy was it a scorcher)

rode front row of hulk which was awesome but what not awesome is that my gf passed out for a part of it which was very worrisome

Front row of Dueling Dragons is equally awesome, as are the castle ruins that the line snakes through. You might not want to take your gf though. :(

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »

Front row of Dueling Dragons is equally awesome, as are the castle ruins that the line snakes through. You might not want to take your gf though. :(

we rode that too, maybe about third or fourth row

and that time she whited out which, according to her, was completely different from blacking out

very curious

may have to cancel a future trip to busch gardens

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    i am going to a local hillbilly theme park on wednesday

this place serves corn dogs that are wrapped in funnel cakes

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Damnit, Clint, now I have to get a shirt that isn't covered in drool!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Darkness MundusDarkness Mundus Registered User regular
    As a kid I was unbelievably terrified of roller coasters. Not like...wooden ones at the local who gives a shit in northwest Pennsylvania, but the bad boys. On our senior trip we went to CP and the only thing I rode the whole time I think was the MF, which took balls of steel for me to do. Before that I'd missed out on shit like Space Mountain because I was too big of a sissy. After that I couldn't get enough of those, but I can only ride a couple before it feels like my brain has been tossed in some sort of blender with screeching pain. It's unfortunate really.

Anyway what I remember of the MF. 90+ MPH drop is that? Something like that. Other than that it's remarkably boring.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    So I live rather close to Hersheypark but had not been there in almost 15 years, up until last month. Ostensibly this is a kid's park, but the last few major coasters they've installed are some serious kit:

Skyrush looks tame in this video but it will throw you around. The accelerations max out at positive 5 G's and negative 2 G's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiRsuxy653w

Fahrenheit's first hill is 100% vertical, and the corresponding drop is a 97 degree incline, 2nd steepest in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otxPSpJXMvQ

Storm Runner is short but intense as hell, the double cork near the end is well over 100 feet off the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ApJ2IFtOl8

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    The theme parks in England are terrible. I've been attempting to talk my friends into road tripping to Europa Park in Germany but they don't seem up for it.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Also I don't know how to explain to my boyfriend that roller coasters aren't as... I dunno, worrying as fair rides? Like he won't ride the Zipper at the fair or anything similar but he'll go on the scrambler and stuff, and he says he's afraid of roller coasters even though he's never been on one. Hell I won't get on the Zipper at a fair but I'll go on any roller coaster you introduce me to. He doesn't really get the difference because "roller coasters go upside down"

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

It was sort of a weird experience going with my friend

I used to go there all the time with my family when I was really little and we'd ride absolutely everything. The Corkscrew, the Mean Streak, the Gemini, and so on. Even a lot of the carnival rides. The Raptor and the Mantis and the Magnum were the three big awesome rides that topped off the experience

Going some 15 years later with my friend and its a bit of a fight to get him to go on anything that was built before the Millennium Force. He didn't start going to the park until like 2007 so for him those older rides don't have any real charm or value when he could be riding all the new crazy modern ones they've put in since then

The Raptor used to arguably be the best ride in the park and now its something you hit, maybe, if you're on the way to the MF and the line isn't too long

See most of the time when I have went I skip the big line rides totally, because fuck 5 hour waits in the summer.

Just ride the iron dragon 12 times.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion now has a gift shop. It includes a room where you can get a "spirit photo."

tumblr_ncsqkbZZ6l1s0c4z4o6_1280.png

tmwlddr1ou7e.png

t62fxyckbjas.png

vndmqux9prjn.png

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Best part of Disneyland at Halloween time?

Ghost

Mother

Fucking

Galaxy

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Worst part is Haunted Mansion Holiday, I want to go to the Haunted Mansion on Halloween!

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09