Options

mercy plz

m.brooks42m.brooks42 Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Artist's Corner
hey sorry if i'm breaking a forum rule by posting this. i saw u cant post vids, but nothing about links to vids...
Just that i'm trying to learn video editing so i can eventually make how to draw type tutorials... just using windows movie maker. It's a time lapse drawing of spike spiegel.
newest.png
https://youtube.com/watch?v=z-gBKriPR-k&feature=g-upl

if that's a no no then here's a PSCS5 image i made recently

gouken_originally__lastscionz_by_mrreallydeviant87-d49g1mx.jpg

m.brooks42 on

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Yeah man...you should state when you're straight copying art http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/9241/723931-gouken_001.jpg

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Same with the Spike image:
    spike-spiegel-cowboy-bebop-7.jpg

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    You totally screwed the expression on Spike, eventhough it was a straight copy. The cloth needs a lot of work too. Post some original stuff if you want critiques.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you're going to do art tutorials, make your own stuff. Besides, I'm not really sure what one is supposed to learn from your videos, it's 90% you talking about what your idea of the character is.

• Options
    haha u guys need to relax... the Gouken image is derrived from a tutorial by the original artist on deviantart. Why can't it be critiqued? and ya i referenced a spike image on google. and? i said that in the video. the point was i'm just starting out learning how to do this. not trying to mislead anyone shit.

anyways, ok i'll remember i'm be better off with an original design for a vid ... and thanks for the one actually useful comment m3nace.

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    They were all usefull comments son. Pull you head out of your ass and don't be so arrogant. you say you're LEARNING yet you think you can teach others? You cans even make a decent replication of a tutorial apparently...ie the gouken pic. If you want to learn, then this is a good place to be, but don't act like a dick...

You think you didn't get good feedback...here you go

Gouken
    The torso is all jacked up and confusing. Your line stroke is messy and distracting...actually no..im not going to go in depth..because its not your image thats why it can be critiqued...here's all you need to know.. You copied it poorly.

Spike
    You copied it poorly, and put a huge unnecessary "SPIKE" and smiley face.

Youtube video.
    I refuse to watch a "How to draw" when i see your end results.

You're putting the cart before the horse. Its great that you are ambitious, but if you turn that into arrogance, then you will not go far.
    You have shown us 2 pictures, Neither is really your art. Lets see you draw some items from around your house. draw people from life, or at least photo studies. Read up on anatomy. Theres some AMAZING artists on this forum. Dont let your ambition blind you to their input.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    "Penis" guy, what artist isn't learning? Even the best teachers/professors/and masters of any trade have to continuously learn and maintain their skills and knowledge. What did I title this forum? "mercy plz." What did I say throughout this thread? "I'm learning." I never claimed to be some grand master sensei. And how many times do I have to point out that I said I want to "EVENTUALLY make how to draw type tutorials." It's right there in the original post man. Did you not read it? Did you just assume I'm an overinflated egotist who's so pathetic he expects worship on an internet forum? I came here to learn and get helpful criticism. How about helping me by telling me what I would benefit from, the way that m3nace did. No one else pointed me in any positive direction whatsoever. Most of you seemed much more interested in somehow exposing me as a fraud who uses references that I explicitly refer to IN THE VIDEO and description box! GASP! I truly hadn't realized original designs were valued so highly in drawing videos, but now I know so wonderful. By the way, I know there are great artists on this forum, but I've seen your artwork Penis, and you're not one of them. I do feel a little bit bad that I apparently hurt your feelings so much though Penis King, the King of Penis:)

But! In the spirit of humility, here's some original artwork for "King Penis of Fuck Mountain," who apparently wants me to take him so very very seriously before giving me any reason to do so:)

2aisfinalfar.jpg
    IMG00609-20101215-1754.jpg
    andrew.jpg
    IMG_20120225_223744.jpg
    DARKSLIGHTSEDITcopy.jpg
    This last one was done with some kind of really neat black pen my niece had laying around^

Ok, thanks for any helpful input!

m.brooks42 on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Hi m.brooks, show more of your actual stuff instead of wasting time and energy on putting down people who are sincerely trying to get you out of your comfort zone and move in the right direction. From what you have posted of NakedZergling's stuff he is still obviously much more technically superior in arting compared to what I have seen from you. If you want to see someone truly terrible just go take a look at my thread. Take a couple of deep breathes, relax, read through the posts in this thread again and analyse why you have gotten these kind of replies instead of people fawning over your artwork and videos. The guys here don't mince their words, you are terrible when they say you are terrible.

Be more humble, and take in advice and criticisms like a boss.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    First, bumping a guys thread from 2 years ago because you didn't like his response to your thread to nitpick his work is not really how the forum works, Relax on that.

Second, You have a lot of the indicators of someone who has been learning primarily from copying photos/other drawings and not venturing to make your own creative decisions about what you are putting onto the paper. The results are kind of flat and lack an underlaying knowledge of structure. You seem to actually have a knack for observation, since the photo copies lack some of the more common mistakes like football eyes or haphazard emphasis of features, but that doesn't necessarily make a great portrait all by itself.

My recommendation is to not argue with zergling, and also probably not copy other artists work for finished pieces. Copying other artists is fine for studying, but posting it around on the internet without linking to the original, or making tutorials about copying works is kind of disrespectful to the original artist. I would not want to find youtube videos of a guy just redrawing my stuff.

You also could probably use some life drawing, and if you copy anything, try some master copies.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    1. Stop whining like a baby.
    2. Don't bump a thread that's two years old because you have some silly point to prove.
    3. Make sure you point out that you're copying reference directly and you won't get a bunch of flack from people pointing out that you're copying.
    4. If you're going to copy directly then it might be worth it to copy some source material of a higher calibre, as Iruka has pointed out.

If I have to lock another users thread from a long time ago because you decided it'd be fun to bring it back so you could try to mock them, I will not be happy.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    mk guys but i find it a little frustrating that you refuse to notice there's a big difference between what iruka posted in terms of the quality of their criticism and what Z did. also, i'm new to forums in general so i truly am just finding out things like don't "bump" an old forum. don't post copies and don't post on old forums. mk. iruka (or anyone really) ur exactly right, all i do pretty much is draw from photos of friends. do u happen to know any good online sources i could turn to for improving my structure? and what makes for better portraits??

m.brooks42 on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    There's a couple of art books in the Questions thread plus some other very useful links. I'd recommend starting out with the Loomis books.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    How old are you and what do you hope to achieve by drawing? Do you just want to make tutorials?

• Options
    edited November 2012
    wooow helpful stuff, thanks Grifter

i like to draw so i draw. i usually draw portraits for friends and well i just had fun making the first video so i want to make more.

m.brooks42 on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    How old are you?

• Options
    why?

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    Because it adds a context to both your drawing and your behaviour.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    Crit away on my current stuff man...
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/81046/pretty-big-update-old-and-new

But since this is you thread lets get back to you.

THIS stuff is leaps and bounds better. I still think your replys are coming off as pretty arrogant, but since you actually posted the type of stuff we all asked for, i'm apt to let that go.
    Your new art update is LEAPS and bounds better than your first one. It show a varity of media, and i think everyone here likes it better than your others. I actually really dig the vibe of the last one. I've always enjoyed ink work.
    I don't know if the lips are actually that fuzzy or if it's the scan, but i like the color. The structure is off a bit with Our right side of the upper lip being significantly smaller, but the handeling of the media is quite nice.
    The other don't really blow my hair back. They are not bad in any way. but it looks like a generic protrait. Thats not to say i think it's bad at all, but i naturally don't know the people, and there's nothing unique about it, but for these types of pictures there doesn't have to be.

Lets see more of this type of stuff.