As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Disgaea]: D2 Out On Steam, D5 Coming To Nintendo Switch

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »
    Kurtis should be used more. Wait, he's actually used pretty often, isn't he?

Kurtis should be used more.

Well, let's see.

1: recruitable
    2: recruitable and playable generic
    3: recruitable twice
    4: recruitable
    D2: nothing
    5: nada

Looks like we got ourselves a bell curve, here.

2 also lets you summon him via cellphone.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Have my copy still wrapped in front of me but I have to get through FE:SoV Echoes first D:

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I think it was a bad idea to do all the DLC first thing. The only characters I knew were from Disgaea 1 and even that story was pretty trite, the rest of them are all "stretch this 30 second premise out to 3 missions and 6 cutscenes" with characters I don't even care about. But I just want to get it over with so I don't have to think about it later. The ones with the Disgaea 3 and 4 characters were especially bad.

I plan on shelving almost all of them, in fact I might just use the ones they handed us off the bat (Nisa, Metallia, Girl Laharl).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    New to the series, very strange to get a ton of money up front, but whatever. DLC characters seems a bit OP, I assume that balances out as I progress. Absolutely love this game. Very cool to see it's not been censored to hell and back. Love the attitude it presents.

Happy to have a nice strategy game I can play anywhere, especially during breaks. Yay!

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'm downloading this to my switch now...I've played several Disgea's before but don't think ive every finished them...they are fun, but i always eventually hit a wall that goes from one story mission where its very easy to complete, to the next where my characters are suddenly massively underpowered. Hopefully having it on a mobile system will help me grind here and there instead of a lot at one time.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So I just started getting into Disgaea 5 on Switch after never really having played a Disgaea before. Can someone explain innocents to me? Is there any value to leaving innocents on a consumable item, or should I store them off of consumables whenever I find them that way?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    So I just started getting into Disgaea 5 on Switch after never really having played a Disgaea before. Can someone explain innocents to me? Is there any value to leaving innocents on a consumable item, or should I store them off of consumables whenever I find them that way?

you want to go into the item world and 'capture' them by beating them up. They provide bonuses to items, and if you capture them you can move them to weapons/armor/whatever to give your item and thus your character a buff.

Having them in consumables is usually pointless

edit: also when you beat them up they double their power level

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Move them off consumables. Technically, they CAN benefit if it's something like an HP recovery item with an HP innocent on it, but it's really just not worth it at all.

Until post game though, they're not going to be providing much benefit anyway, and especially not the raw stat ones, which are basically never useful, especially in 5. It's another mechanic you can relatively safely ignore until it's easy to farm them in the hundreds of levels at a time.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

you want to go into the item world and 'capture' them by beating them up. They provide bonuses to items, and if you capture them you can move them to weapons/armor/whatever to give your item and thus your character a buff.

But I can do that when they're in weapons, right? There's no particular reason not to move them off of consumables as soon as I find them?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular

But I can do that when they're in weapons, right? There's no particular reason not to move them off of consumables as soon as I find them?

yes innoncents are in every item, but generally later in the game you can combine innocents, so you capture them from whatever item, combine them, and stick them in your weapon to make it super badass

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options

The reason not to is that it takes time and effort, and the gain is exceedingly marginal.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Do the Female characters bother anyone else? I think they look a tad bit under aged for me.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Seraphina is my favorite character in D5.

• Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

The reason not to is that it takes time and effort, and the gain is exceedingly marginal.

Why is the gain too marginal? Can't you move them off the items and into other weapons and armor as you play through the story at least?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    Do the Female characters bother anyone else? I think they look a tad bit under aged for me.

Japan.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Why is the gain too marginal? Can't you move them off the items and into other weapons and armor as you play through the story at least?

Because the stat gain is tiny, and almost all of the actually good innocents only show up on rank 30+ items. Almost anything you could be doing with your time instead of fussing around with low level meh innocents is going to be more bang for your buck.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I haven't unlocked the innocents breeding thing yet so I don't know much about it, you want to just ignore that until you're done with the story?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    One of the unfortunate realities of being a fan of Japanese video games and anime these days.

You'll constantly alternate between "wow, this is awesome" and "wow, this is making me super uncomfortable".

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Japan.

Yeah, basically that. Though iirc it's mainly Seraphina.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    As much as I'd love to play D5, still haven't finished D4 so even if it gets there on PC before D4, probably going to end up sitting on it for awhile.

Think I got about 60% of the way through D4 before I turned it back into Gamefly at the time.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I haven't unlocked the innocents breeding thing yet so I don't know much about it, you want to just ignore that until you're done with the story?

Breeding is basically for making copies of innocents. It can also be used to create hybrids. eg an Atk innocent and an HP innocent can create an Atk/HP innocent. Since you can combine them and then use the new higher leveled ones as parents, they increase multiplicatively, so it's not as crazy to start on that as soon as you have some good innocents, even if they're low level. I'd only bother with Managers (+mana), Statisticians (+exp), or Professionals (+crit damage) though. Instructors (+Weapon exp), and Mentors (+skill exp) are also decent, if you want, but there are super easy ways to very quickly max those in the postgame regardless. That'll just speed that up a little bit. Elemental resistances are decent too, but you eventually want way fewer of them than the Mana/Exp/Crit stuff.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    This is the background you should be using.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS6JRuTynLs

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Thats not Dear Comrade!

• Options
    Where do you go to set the BGM? I didn't see it in the Settings.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Where do you go to set the BGM? I didn't see it in the Settings.

Data NPC in home base.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Is there just an instrumental version of the base theme? That would be fine too. It's a nice soothing thing until the vocals kick in.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    "sir killia! look at my sexy legs! or how about my cleavage?"

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    "sir killia! look at my sexy legs! or how about my cleavage?"

*shoots prinny*

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm definitely going to use the original theme if I can find it. right now I have it set to the shop theme because I want to drive myself crazy. I knew I had to use raspberyl as soon as I saw her walk animation, and I'm going to use prier but aside from that probably just some of the original trio.

leveling up classes takes a while. I got brawler to level 2 but mage/cleric is very slow. sorcerer is ultra slow.

• Options
    Yeah I remember leveling classes taking forever in my first run around with the game. Is it based on total EXP or total kills? I can't remember.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »

Japan.

Yeah, basically that. Though iirc it's mainly Seraphina.

It's everybody (hell even the males look 12) and excusing it as "Japan" is not what we should be doing.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Is Running Fire on the song list?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Yeah Red Magnus looks like a 12 year old body builder.

He's definitely my 2nd favorite in the game. His VA is awesome.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

I don't have the item world yet, but I seem to be able to just pull items off consumables and put them in a warehouse instead by just using the innocents manager. And then I can put them on a weapon. Do I misunderstand something?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I don't have the item world yet, but I seem to be able to just pull items off consumables and put them in a warehouse instead by just using the innocents manager. And then I can put them on a weapon. Do I misunderstand something?

Nope, that's sorta the first step to it all. Once you unlock the item world and you put those innocents on an item and enter that item you can beat them up/capture them for YUUUUGE bonuses (2x) to their power.

My first run through of the game had me pretty much ignore all of the innocent things. I felt like it was a lot of effort for not alot of returns to my stats. It was just easier to kill stuff to get more EXP and stats, IMO.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

In all previous Disgaeas, you could only transfer subdued innocents. My assumption is that he's confused.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    The only way to make things look older than other things at a Harada-like level of detail is adding a beard or cranking up the height.

There are innocents who will happily move.

PLA on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    It does let you move innocents to the warehouse without subduing them in this one. For some reason, the give you access to the innocent manager before the item world.

• Options
    For me the Item World was always the mountain that I had to climb to enjoy the game. The idea that I go into an item and kill stuff to make the item better and repeatedly do that to make it stronger was so daunting that I put the game down (last one I played was D3). But D5 kinda eases you into the idea of improving your weapons.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I mean it sounds like a joke that the art is that simple, but Red Magnus has the facial hair and the height.