As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Guild Wars 2 with one hand

TalondelTalondel Registered User regular
Hey there H/A. My wife and I are looking for a new game to get into, having been long time WoW and short time SW:ToR / D3 players. We think GW2 might be a good fit, but there's one problem and that is that she only has 1 good arm. We were able to play WoW and SW:ToR using a Naga Razor and some creative macros. In those games she could use the mouse to move and still use the buttons on the mouse for skills. But from what we can tell, there's no mouse move option in GW2.

Any one have any thoughts on trying to play it one handed? Are there other gaming mice (like the Cyborg MMO 7?) that might make it more possible to do WADS movement with a mouse and still have enough buttons for abilities? For that matter, if you have suggestions about any other multi player RPGs let us know, because if GW2 won't work we may well end up back in WoW.

• Options
    Thirty-3Thirty-3 [E] robcd Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Holding both mouse buttons will run in GW2 by default, just as in WoW. I'd assume you would be able to bind that to any of the Naga's buttons in its configuration software if not the in-game options.

I use it when my cat is sitting on my lap watching me play :)

Thirty-3 on
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. From the online instructions that wasn't apparent, so it's good to know.

Are there classes that are easier to play in terms of movement? Obviously for WoW and SW:ToR she avoided melee damage classes as those had to move around the most during combat and it was hard to stay positioned during combat. So she tended towards ranged damage classes or damage / healing hybrids as a result. Looking over the classes she was leaning towards Elementalist or Ranger.

• Options
    Movement and in particular dodging is fairly important for all classes / roles. I would assume ranged have it easier, but couldn't really say as I've stuck with a support warrior. Perhaps someone else will be able to comment; the GW2 thread in the MMO sub-forum is fairly active, so they might be able to help as well.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I had hand surgery about two weeks after GW2 came out and got by ok with both my mesmer and my ranger.

The ranger is probably a bit easier, your pet is there to tank for you and with medium armor you're not as squishy as a character with light. Longbow keeps you far enough out to manage your movement, and you could alternate that with shortbow or axe/horn for additional ranged damage.

Mesmer was ok also, but managing a bunch of clones and phantasms got a bit unwieldy at least for me. Staff/greatsword worked well, staff gives you access to chaos armor (very helpful) and greatsword does a boatload of ranged damage

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah ranger is a good class for that.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-nostromo

One of those might benefit you in the future?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. We'd play mostly as a duo, and I'd probably play a melee class of some kind to tank and (hopefully) that will leave her free to just blast stuff. I did post over in the GW2 thread in the MMO forums, but the conversation moves pretty quickly there and I didn't get as much of a response.

I wish the Nostromo was an option, but until they make a right handed version it won't work for her.

Any suggestions as far as other games to look at would be appreciated as well. We've tried Torchlight but it didn't hold our interest for long.

• Options
    PentaghostPentaghost Classification: NOT SO BAD The Southern OracleRegistered User regular
    I'm noticing a trend with the sort of games you and your wife like to play, so are we restricted to suggesting action rpg's?

If not then RTS games could easily be played together, and since you can play them solely with a mouse that could be perfect for you guys. BG/Icewind Dale could be fun too.

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    Playing a necromancer and focusing on minions might be an excellent way of playing as well as positioning/dodging isn't that important.

• Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    I don't have any suggestions regarding hardware, but Dungeons and Dragons Online might be your cup of tea. Unless you actively spec your character for it, moving and attacking at the same time is actually bad. I have limited experience with ranged characters, but a fair amount with melee and spells.

• Options
    If you wife has adapted to one-handed play in other MMOs, there's probably not reason why she wouldn't also have fun with GW2. Just might take a bit of experimentation with classes and builds; it's a shame there isn't a demo.

As for other games, you might like Rift. It's almost identical to WoW and SWToR mechanically speaking while having a much deeper class system. There's an expansion due really soon which can be picked up stand alone by new players if I'm not mistaken.

• Options
    Pentaghost wrote: »
    I'm noticing a trend with the sort of games you and your wife like to play, so are we restricted to suggesting action rpg's?

If not then RTS games could easily be played together, and since you can play them solely with a mouse that could be perfect for you guys. BG/Icewind Dale could be fun too.

Sadly she's never been much of an RTS fan. Back in the day when we'd get big groups together to plan SC or WCII over the LAN she'd play just to be social. Usually that involved her amassing huge quantities of low level troops off in a corner somewhere and using them to finish off opponents who'd been crippled by someone else.

Good turn based strategy games, especially ones you can play coop, would be welcome. With RTS, the skill disparity between the two of us is not conducive to marital harmony unless there's a coop component.

Thank you all for the other suggestions. D&D Online we had looked at but might check out again. I have heard of RIFT and that sounds like its worth looking into, if nothing else because the learning curve might be a bit easier since it's similar to WoW.

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Movement is very important in GW2. But it primary comes into play in PvP, dungeons, and jumping puzzles. Nearly all general exploration and questing can be accomplished without a dire need to be a great mover. In other words, MOST of the game should be quite friendly. However, if you want to dive into the more difficult content, there could be challenges. Still, I think nearly all dungeons, with a competent group, should be achievable on "story" mode (that's the mode which advances the story and is easier to complete).

It's such a beautiful and vast landscape to explore, I think the two of you will find many, many, many hours of enjoyment with the game. I think ranger is a safe bet. I'd caution against the mesmer, as it's a particularly difficult class to master. As is the elementalist and necromancer, which in my opinion, require a high level of finger gymnastics to play to their potential. Engineer actually has a low demand for mobility, and no weapon switching, if you spec for ranged combat and bleeds.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I have two characters who don't need to move or dodge as much as the others during regular PvE gameplay.

1. A ranger who uses axe/warhorn and longbow. Her utility skills are mostly traps that she has specced so that she can toss them wherever she wants. She uses a moa bird and polar bear pet, both are rather sturdy and tank well, so she can mostly stand there and toss abilities and traps.

2. A Guardian who uses hammer and scepter/focus. She has to run into melee when she has the hammer, but if something moves a bit, hitting hammer 2 will cause her to flip (hilariously, because she's an asura) back into melee range. With scepter/focus she can just stand back and zap stuff, especially if I'm playing with other people.

I find that I have to move a LOT while playing my thief and elementalist, and a medium amount with the engineer (it really depends on build with engineers)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. We're going to give GW2 a try. She's playing a an Asura Ranger, and I'm still undecided but we won't be starting till this weekend so I've got some time to figure it out.

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    it might even be easier, considering how many fewer abilities and skills you need to use in GW2.
    she could also try playing a ranged guardian if the extra armor/health is needed

RubberAC on
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Have you looked at something like the razor hydra for the controls? http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-controllers/razer-hydra

p.s. I really liked the mesmer. ^.^

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
  • Options
    JAEF wrote: »

Wow. Thank you for that. We'll certainly check it out. That would seem to address a large number of our potential problems.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Just be aware, some mods (including the one JAEF linked you to, I think) can get your account banned

Usagi on
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Usagi wrote: »
    Just be aware, some mods (including the one JAEF linked you to, I think) can get your account banned

They actually address that right about here. Basically, ArenaNet is okay as long as what you're doing only affects you (is client-side) and is not being used to bot or otherwise cheat. As mentioned elsewhere in that thread, combat mode actually makes certain things HARDER (aiming AoEs for example), so it's certainly not cheating. Plus the mods/admins have already said it's okay when they had the most up-to-date info available.

Essee on
  • Options
    Thanks for the update Essee, I hadn't seen that

• Options
    teloniatelonia Registered User new member
    Hi there Talondel. I hope you get this. My hubby had a stroke and I am wondering what you did for your wife? I have the logitech G600 mmo gaming mouse on the way and wondering if you went the route with the G13 gaming keyboard thingy ?

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Unfortunately it looks like @Talondel hasn't posted in two years so I'm not sure if you will get a response.

*edit
    Quickly looking around, theres a semi active disabled gamers community on reddit for asking and answering questions here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/disabledgamers/

And briefly clicking around on there, it looks like the G13 was recommended to several other people, but I am not sure of the specific needs of your husband

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm fairly sure there is a rather active handicapped gamers /thread over @reddit

Bloodycow on
    " I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    teloniatelonia Registered User new member
    Thanks for the replies Wassermelone and Bloodycow. I am heading to reddit. and have the G13 on order ...will let you know how it works out