As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Want to hold a Child's Play event, have no venue

ZharaZhara Nerf Herder, GamerRaleigh, NCRegistered User regular
Me and some friends want to hold a Artemis event for Child's Play in Raleigh, NC. We have the laptops, people interested in playing, and a Artemis key. We need a space to hold it in. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get a space? We could hold it in our household, but we have small children. It would not be logical to hold it around them for marathon play. Ideally we would want a place where we could set up web-cams, so that sponsors could watch us play. Any help would be appreciated!

“First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.”

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    If you're talking about one of those streaming game play marathon kind of things obviously the best thing is a house to work out of, but like you said you've all got kids.

Is there any way you could send the kids to the grandparent's house for the weekend?

If that's out, you could always check with a local lan gaming center or something, especially the kind of place that does "lock-in" style kids parties. They might be willing to sponsor you for the night.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ZharaZhara Nerf Herder, Gamer Raleigh, NCRegistered User regular
    well, we haven't all got kids. Just me and my husband. Both our parents live very far away. I haven't asked anyone else if they would be willing to host yet. My husband is in the process of asking his work (who donated the laptops). I did email a local game store that does "lock-in" parties but i haven't heard anything back yet. I will contact the others involved and see if they are willing. I just feel responsible for setting up the event, as it was our/my suggestion. Thank you for your advice! On that note, would anyone in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area be interested in joining us so we could get more "ships" in on it?

“First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.”
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    as for e-mailing the lock in place, actually go to their store and talk to them. I used to work retail and the chance of us giving something out or working with a group who actually came into our store vs someone that called or e-mailed was much higher. You'll have better luck going in there, showing them you aren't crazy :) and hopefully they'll agree.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    Raleigh is packed with tech companies. Find out which ones have big offices and ask them if you can use a big auditorium/cafeteria/conference room on a weekend. Contact their HR or PR departments.

Local community centers and churches might also be willing to let you use a room.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I want to thank you guys. We were able to find a venue and now have a set date for our event. We have posted up a Facebook page, upstream for the day of the event, a chipin page, twitter account and the gaming store hosting us has a signup for the event! Now, all we have to do is raise money for the kids. We will be holding the event from 11:30 am to 5:30 pm on a Saturday, so that as many people can attend as possible. This is also at the request of the gaming store. We also have some local businesses on the line for a possible auction event on the game day. Due to the nature of the game and the new players that may be signing up we can't do some of the ideas we had for goals to drive donations. We are open to ideas if you have any to help us drive the donations up.

Zhara on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I see that you made threads here advertising it. You CANNOT do that without moderator (or possibly admin) permission, ever, no matter what you're advertising or what the cause. If you do go advertising places, one thing that will really help you out is following the rules of those places. Otherwise you will just have your posts taken down or closed.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    I'm sorry please delete my last post. I was just trying to thank those who helped me here. The main post is mod approved and in the appropriate forum.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2012
    The last post in this thread is fine, don't worry about it. Just so long as you're mod-approved an in the right place.. my impression was that you had made a thread in a different part of the forum advertising before that was the case. I apologize if I misunderstood and you actually had prior mod approval for that thread. :)

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Many Thanks, Ceres. I know you Mods have terrible horrible jobs and your just doing yours to the best of your ability!

This discussion has been closed.