As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MGB Help

BerilBeril Registered User regular
A friend of mine recently inherited a '76 MGB. It's in less than great condition, so he wants to restore it. Any advice or websites on how to restore one of these?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Has he done this before? In principle the approach to restoring any car is broadly the same. Is he looking to just get it going and turn it into a usable vehicle, or is he going for a full-on concours approach?

For MGBs there are endless resources, books, clubs, etc. Obvious advice is to start with a Haynes-type workshop manual with guides for stripping and rebuilding the various assemblies. For rolling restorations people generally tackle one job at a time, assuming that the body is sound. Full restorations are usually done by dismantling the car entirely into its major assemblies, sorting out the shell and body work first, and then building it back up.

The MG Car Club has an MGB specific forum with a wealth of technical info: http://www.mgcc.co.uk/mg-forum.html?func=showcat&catid=34

British Motor Heritage manufactures a lot of the difficult to find parts, as well, right up to complete body shells: http://www.bmh-ltd.com/brochures/2011 MGB brochure.pdf

• Options
    BerilBeril Registered User regular
    He's helped his dad with an old truck or two, but not much else. He plans on restoring it to a usable vehicle with some modern amenities. Thanks for the help, by the way.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    That's a really cool car, and your friend has the right idea just making it a good daily driver with some modern fixtures. Honestly a full on restoration would be costly and he'd never see a return on investment as the 70's MGB's aren't exactly a rare find, despite being awesome little cars.

Generally speaking it's no different than restoring anything else. The first thing you're going to want to do is check for is major frame damage, and then rust. Those are going to be the first two things you should fix before looking at anything else on the car. Hopefully the frame is sound, but most likely it's got rust, unless it was garaged a lot.

Rust will be the biggest fix. If your friend isn't handy with welding equipment you need to get a good shop to do it and that's going to set you back a few grand. If you're just going for the daily driver you can usually find a mom and pop operation that will cut out the rust, patch it somewhat attractively, put in some new carpet and a 50/50 paint job (looks good from 50 feet away at 50 miles an hour) for around 3K (that's what I paid for mine, but that was YEARS ago, so YMMV)

Once the rust is good, you want to move to the brakes and drivetrain. Then tackle the engine last.

I'll be honest, I've been involved with more than one restoration and I've never seen anyone put less than five to ten thousand dollars into a good daily driver classic. Think of it as buying a weekend convertible. You'd pay 5-15K for a new one (used), so you'll pay about the same to restore an old one.

If your friend has that kind of cash and the drive to make it happen, the rewards are worth it. Even if he doesn't have that kind of cash up front, just make a list of everything you need to do. Go to a shop and get them to check it out and give you a detailed invoice of everything that needs to be fixed, and if the friend has a garage, park it in there, take the list, and start tackling one thing at a time. The restoration might take two or three years that way, but it's still fun.

Good luck!

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I asked around, as my father and some of his friends are MGB fans and one of them's just finished a restoration. Their response was very similar to amateurhour:
    Find a reputable restorer and/or spares supplier, open your cheque book and say ............................help yourself !
    ..........and it will cost twice as much as the budget and takes three times as long to do as estimated.
    Alternatively, sell the less than great one and buy one ready-restored at half the cost of restoring one !

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    That really isn't bad advice. I've restored a car and it was a pain in the ass and I'll never do it again. I mean it really is a lifestyle hobby like scuba diving in exotic locations or getting a pilots license. It costs tens of thousands of dollars to do properly for something and when you're done with it you want to sell it and move on to another project. You've really got to stop and think if that's a hobby, and most likely the only hobby you want to have.

If it isn't, sell it, put another 5-10 K aside, and buy one already fixed up and drive the wheels off it. There is a warm gushy feeling you get from driving something you rebuilt from the ground up, but there's also the dread that you've just put like 15 thousand dollars into something you'll be lucky to resell for 10

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    It's a fairly common theme with older vehicles that a given restored vehicle is worth less (sometimes a lot less) than that same vehicle broken for parts.

In other words, this is not something you take on as an investment.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Restoring a vehicle that's been inherited is a different prospect that buying a clunker to do up for the fun of doing it up.

Your friend is going to be able to do some of the work himself, but he is also going to have to shop much of it out. Start with having the thing stripped, paneled and painted, that way you have a solid foundation to start from. He's going to want to continue from the ground up, so get the wheels restored, then do the suspension, then the steering, then the drivetrain (gearbox, diff, tailshaft), then the fuel system (tank, lines etc.), then the motor. Put some new tyres on the restored wheels and get it off the axlestands! Last the interior, and depending on how much work and money he's put into it, enter it in shows and win some trophies.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    To be honest, I'd personally do an engine swap on it myself, and fit aircon and bigger brakes. Actually, I'd try and improve everything (independent rear suspension, airconditioning, power steering, modern seats and belts, nice stereo) but I'd try and keep the car looking as standard as possible. An MGB would be an awesome car to take to the track and round up Porsches with...

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    To be honest, I'd personally do an engine swap on it myself, and fit aircon and bigger brakes. Actually, I'd try and improve everything (independent rear suspension, airconditioning, power steering, modern seats and belts, nice stereo) but I'd try and keep the car looking as standard as possible. An MGB would be an awesome car to take to the track and round up Porsches with...

Cool concept, but you would have to replace the frame of the car as well to get anywhere near Porsche level.

If I was to make a daily driver out of an MGB, the first thing would be to look at the electrics and then perhaps improve engine cooling to make sure getting in a traffic jam does not mean overheating.

Bones heal, glory is forever.