As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kindle Screen broken

TPSouTPSou MrRegistered User regular
I've got an old 3G white Kindle with the keyboard, and after many years of faithful service, the screen has broken. I'm guessing somebody stepped on it, but while the surface of the screen is intact, the top two inches or so come up as blank and even when it's switched off there's an ugly grey mark around the affected area.
Does anyone have any experience with getting these things fixed or is it just time to buy a new one, it would be nice to have an excuse to splash out on a paperwhite, but with Christmas and all it's an expense I could do without.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    TPSou wrote: »
    I've got an old 3G white Kindle with the keyboard, and after many years of faithful service, the screen has broken. I'm guessing somebody stepped on it, but while the surface of the screen is intact, the top two inches or so come up as blank and even when it's switched off there's an ugly grey mark around the affected area.
    Does anyone have any experience with getting these things fixed or is it just time to buy a new one, it would be nice to have an excuse to splash out on a paperwhite, but with Christmas and all it's an expense I could do without.

Contact Amazon, in a lot of cases they will just send you a new one and a shipping label to return the broken one for free, or they'll sell you a new model for a large discount. They want to keep you happy and buying more books.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    That is unbelievably helpful, thank you! Going to try this (although I think mine is a Kindle 2 but I'm sure I'll be able to find something for it) and hope it tides me over until I can afford a Paperwhite. Thanks again!

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea i had the same thing happen to my white kindle 2

contacted amazon and since it was out of warranty they could only offer me a huge discount. i ended up getting the 3g kindle keyboard for like 78 bucks or something like that

camo_sig.png
    edited November 2012
    Seriously contact Amazon, I'm pretty sure they would sell you a Paperwhite for about $80,if your current Kindle is out of warranty, Or just give you one. which would be cheaper than buying a new screen and doing the fix yourself. Also pretty sure that post about the repairs is a spambot trying to sell kindle screens.

it's in Amazons best interests to keep you with a working Kindle and good customer satisfaction so you keep buying more books.

Foomy on
  • TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    When I contacted them they can offer me a $15 dollar discount on a Kindle Touch (the Kindle was bought from the American store before they came out in the UK so all replacements have to be done through them) but with shipping it's basically no discount at all. I'm not angry, they're well within their rights not to give me anything. They couldn't do any discount on a Paperwhite, so I'll probably just pick one up when I can, or fix this one depending on the cost of screens.

edited November 2012
    TPSou wrote: »
    When I contacted them they can offer me a $15 dollar discount on a Kindle Touch (the Kindle was bought from the American store before they came out in the UK so all replacements have to be done through them) but with shipping it's basically no discount at all. I'm not angry, they're well within their rights not to give me anything. They couldn't do any discount on a Paperwhite, so I'll probably just pick one up when I can, or fix this one depending on the cost of screens.

ah that's sad. When my Mom's 2nd gen broke they offered her a 3rd gen for $60 with free shipping to Canada, but I guess $15 off the touch would be about the same. Too bad they won't do free shipping to the UK.

Foomy on