As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Australia 2013 - Cosplay thread

• captaintacocaptaintaco meow Registered User new member
    If I can get it done in time, and figure out how to transport the joypad thing, I've got Arcade Sona planned. Andd I'm not sure what for the second day, maybe Miranda from Mass Effect. :3

• DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    I love you...

• vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Hi guys,

Love reading the posts in this thead but know nothing about LOL.

Found this to help me out... http://www.lolking.net/models/?champion=37&skin=5

Cannot wait to see samples and watch everyones work develop as we get closer.

(Please try not to keep everything a secret, just little peaks of what we can expect will do)

tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
  • zerochosenzerochosen WollongongRegistered User regular
    Man, all this cosplay talk makes me want to participate... I reckon I could get Gangplank's beard grown in by July :)

A webcomic by me: Enemy Agency
    http://www.enemy-agency.com
  • thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    even though i am not the cosplay type i can't wait to see what you guys come up with :D

Next PAX: PAX AUS 2017
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • ZaphyZaphy Brisbane, QLDRegistered User new member
    So many LoL Cosplayers!

I'll be around on Saturday as Vi (assuming they let my giant fists in :/) probably with a Sheriff Caitlyn. Would love to get some group pictures!

• DanacyrusDanacyrus Gaming Coffee Making Musician BrisbaneRegistered User regular
    those shouldn't be a problem :P

And I love you all the support from the LoL community is incredible! I'll definitely have to figure out a way to get everyone together for some awesome pictures. Looks like I'm bringing the good camera gear down now ;) Been a while since I've done any Cosplay Photography!

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    Gah now I'm feeling obligated to make a 2nd costume for LoL....curse you all! :D

YES! Do it! We will take over the world one costume at a time!

• False SecurityFalse Security Registered User regular
    Hey guys!

I'm looking on finishing and rocking up in a monster hunter cosplay. This certain outfit is quite prickly and the weapon (which will be a bow) is also prickly.
    Here is a link to see what i'm making, it's based of this model:
    http://pufferfiz.exblog.jp/7012998/

All of the complicated stuff is made out of foam but it will be made thick so it won't break if bumped. There will be some elastic string for the bow, however I am making a full quiver of arrows.
    The points will be also made out of foam, but layered so it may seem like it isn't...

Even so, I'm a bit worried it won't make it in. Can I get any reassurance?

(btw, so excited to see the LoL outfits!)

• FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Dont put tips on your arrows. Maybe have a detachable one so you can pose with people for one drawn. A bow that exaggerated in appearance shouldn't be a problem except for the most anal of police officers, even then just smile and say its a costume competition and you should be fine. maybe transport it to the event in a bag to avoid the issue altogether.

I think it will look awesome btw, heaps of detail in there.
    Hey guys!

I'm looking on finishing and rocking up in a monster hunter cosplay. This certain outfit is quite prickly and the weapon (which will be a bow) is also prickly.
    Here is a link to see what i'm making, it's based of this model:
    http://pufferfiz.exblog.jp/7012998/

All of the complicated stuff is made out of foam but it will be made thick so it won't break if bumped. There will be some elastic string for the bow, however I am making a full quiver of arrows.
    The points will be also made out of foam, but layered so it may seem like it isn't...

Even so, I'm a bit worried it won't make it in. Can I get any reassurance?

(btw, so excited to see the LoL outfits!)

[E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
    edited March 2013
    Hey based on my experience and rules of both my conventions and others.

Arrow tips are fine provided that you use foam core or foam for them and ensure that the shaft of the arrow is made from a light dowel.

The only concerns are if they are actually going to cause injury. Especially seeing as they will be in a quiver which should mean that with the exception of one arrow used for photography the rest will be tip down, the spikes on the armor/bow would be definitely be made of foam or plastic and under no circumstances should they be sharp!

Also with the bow Elastic it should not have ANY tension. It should be low grade elastic that is not capable of supporting or firing an arrow ANY distance. Or even be detachable (still no tension). This is the biggest thing to concern yourself with out of the rules. I would even double check with AaronC about using elastic. But I would say that provided that it cannot actually support an arrow you should be safe. (Weapons that are able to fire projectiles are not allowed)

If you need any advice about it let me know, but if it's anything serious check up with @AaronC he's the authority at this point.

EDIT: Also consider the scale of the weapon, as that is potentially an issue.

Danacyrus on
  • Kay NinerKay Niner Registered User new member
    So. now that the question about arrows has been answered, what about bows? I would like to use my Oh-so-real compound bow in a male version cosplay of Lara Croft from the latest Tomb Raider. I will have no arrows on me at all. Will the fact that it is a real bow be a issue at all if I have no arrows, or will I need to de-string it, which I can, but would rather not, do.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It will absolutely be an issue if you bring a real weapon. Do not do that.

• Kay NinerKay Niner Registered User new member
    Even de-stringed and with no arrows? I figured as much, but thought it would be cool if I could.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    De stringed may work, but I cannot say for certain.

• CamaranCamaran Catamaran MelbourneRegistered User regular
    If I can get it done in time, and figure out how to transport the joypad thing, I've got Arcade Sona planned. Andd I'm not sure what for the second day, maybe Miranda from Mass Effect. :3
    That. Would. Be. Awesome.

Thanks for reply guys!

I'll just made a quiver with no tips and one made specifically for photos. It will be made out of foam for the tip with the shaft being the only support. (HOPEFULLY will work out)

I guess I'll come with the bow de-stringed as this seems like it's the only option as any amount of pull will create tension from any string like object. I guess I won't be able to pose pulling an arrow back. I may bring some backup elastic just in case if any professional photographers want it, but will not string my bow around PAX at all as this seems to be the safer option.

Also curious about the scale of the weapon being an issue? How so?

I've heard nothing about the size of weapon being restricted, considering a lot of weapons from games and anime/manga are mostly huge, this would be a pretty silly rule if so.

Danacyrus wrote: »

Thanks for the info! FatSoDa to you too!

I'm just curious about this part, scale in weapon? I've heard there are no limits to how big the weapon is (considering the amount of animes/games, etc that have massive weapons), though I guess hopefully I can get a confirmation here.

So I guess I'll just have to come with it de-stringed and pose weirdly for photo's when drawing back an arrow. I'll bring some elastic just in case there is any professionals wanting a picture with the string somewhere not around PAX, but I will not string the bow at PAX in general, or anywhere near for that fact. Hopefully that is OK.

Ah yes, I'll just make a full quiver with no tips, only one specifically for photos which will be made completely out of foam, just till be supported by the shaft of the arrow.

Thanks for the info! FatSoDa to you too!

I'm just curious about this part, scale in weapon? I've heard there are no limits to how big the weapon is (considering the amount of animes/games, etc that have massive weapons), though I guess hopefully I can get a confirmation here.

So I guess I'll just have to come with it de-stringed and pose weirdly for photo's when drawing back an arrow. I'll bring some elastic just in case there is any professionals wanting a picture with the string somewhere not around PAX, but I will not string the bow at PAX in general, or anywhere near for that fact. Hopefully that is OK.

Ah yes, I'll just make a full quiver with no tips, only one specifically for photos which will be made completely out of foam, just till be supported by the shaft of the arrow.

have a chat with @Danacyrus she seems to be up on the rules a little more she can firm up anything i say or have said. But dont use elastic at all, try some black knitting wool, that doesnt have any strength to it and any tension will snap it but it'll still look like cat gut string in a photo.

If i dont get a posi as a Enforcer i was going to cosplay as Waldo Butters from the Dresden files, I'll just need to get a skull from somewhere....

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • JadebabyJadebaby Registered User new member
    I'm cosplaying as Liara with her Shadow broker costume, anyone else doing Mass Effect?

• DragonBearDragonBear Registered User regular
    First part of Judge Anderson outfit done :-)

• NefilyNefily Melbourne AURegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Hello everyone!! loving the work so far (especially Hawke <3 ), This will be my first real cosplay! I'm going to be going as a guild wars 2 human wearing the seraph/cultural Armour!

here it is so far! i've since transferred most of it to craft foam !

gw2cosplay.jpg

here's a finished gauntlet

guantlet.jpg

I'm having a blast so far :) can't wait!

Nefily on
    oh wowser. that is awesome!
    Nefily wrote: »
    Hello everyone!! loving the work so far (especially Hawke <3 ), This will be my first real cosplay! I'm going to be going as a guild wars 2 human wearing the seraph/cultural Armour!
    !

paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
  • CassuCassu miss comics TasmanialandRegistered User new member
    That's going to look amazing Nefily!

I'm thinking of doing my first cosplay in a long, long time. Not a game character, I'm really inspired to dress up as Merida from Disney's 'Brave.'
    merida.jpg
    So in-love with that hair! *0*

• vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Nefily wrote: »

here it is so far! i've since transferred most of it to craft foam !

Looks like a lot of hard work.... Very Nice

I wonder if Anet are going to make the AusPAX....they are all over the US PAX's

tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
  • NeenerNeener Registered User regular
    Exciting to see other people flexing their cosplay muscles :D Looking forward to the LoL cosplayers, I just recently got into playing it a few weeks back, tempting to make a Kayle or Shyvana :o

Waving my Warcraft flag on all three days, high probability of Saturday and Sunday with me in my Battlegear of Might .

• TinTangoTinTango Registered User regular
    (hopefully) doing the Gunzerker from Borderlands 2, and Anderson (combat version) from ME3, plus a character from Dragon Age 2... though that's gonna be the hardest for me to finish.

So, I'm brand new to the cosplay thing... what would I have to do to a (replica) flintlock pistol to make it allowable? I don't particularly want to wreck the weapon if I can help it...

• FitzchivalryFitzchivalry PAXAUS Cookie Brigade Coordinator Orrstrahleeeeah mate!Registered User regular
    zerochosen wrote: »
    So, I'm brand new to the cosplay thing... what would I have to do to a (replica) flintlock pistol to make it allowable? I don't particularly want to wreck the weapon if I can help it...

You'd need to dress as Connor or Edward Kenway for a start..noone else is allowed to use flintlocks :P
    But really if its an actual replica, its going to be very hard to cosplay-afy it effectively, as the old bright orange cap thing doesnt pass muster anymore...

Dang... and the flintlock was for Gangplank, which I think should be allowed :P

So I have a real cutlass I obviously can't use, and I can't buy a flintlock to go with it. At this rate I'll need to go as Captain Feathersword :(

• BlastedBlasted Registered User new member
    So zerochosen has got me going lol cosplay.
    So Twisted Fate it is. Cards are easier than guns :)

So much LoL! Looking forward to seeing all these plans come to life!

• sYn26sYn26 Registered User new member
    I need someone to cosplay this with tumblr_mkko0qCk7I1qbe1wso1_500.jpg

Would be awesome!

For those who dont know, theyre from Bioshock Infinite

• AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Your prop works under PAX rules, we don't know what will happen regarding Australian enforcement, your taking chances.
    Hey based on my experience and rules of both my conventions and others.

Arrow tips are fine provided that you use foam core or foam for them and ensure that the shaft of the arrow is made from a light dowel.

The only concerns are if they are actually going to cause injury. Especially seeing as they will be in a quiver which should mean that with the exception of one arrow used for photography the rest will be tip down, the spikes on the armor/bow would be definitely be made of foam or plastic and under no circumstances should they be sharp!

Also with the bow Elastic it should not have ANY tension. It should be low grade elastic that is not capable of supporting or firing an arrow ANY distance. Or even be detachable (still no tension). This is the biggest thing to concern yourself with out of the rules. I would even double check with AaronC about using elastic. But I would say that provided that it cannot actually support an arrow you should be safe. (Weapons that are able to fire projectiles are not allowed)

If you need any advice about it let me know, but if it's anything serious check up with @AaronC he's the authority at this point.

The real problem is we just don't have any experience in Australia with their weapon rules. As far as we are concerned it would be fine (PAX rules)...

We are trying to get more information from the Venue, they must have some experience with these issues. If and when we know more I will pass it along here. If we can't get the info then I suggest you be conservative this year regarding the costume weapons in order to avoid serious legal consequences.

• GrogdrinkwaterGrogdrinkwater Wagga Wagga, NSWRegistered User new member
    Hey guys, thought I'd poke around and see what the Cos-Play situation was like.

This will be the first time I have gone to a convention in a costume so I thought it practical to see what other people were doing and maybe get some advice on how I should be going about my own ideas. Now, I know this might seem cheesy but when Pax was announced for Australia I knew I had to go, and when my friends and I were talking about it we began to throw out ideas for costumes that would be cool. As soon as it started I knew I had to be Guybrush Threepwood, and it seems even more of an idea now that I have found out who is opening Pax (My net foo is a little weak so I'm slow to such news). The decision however is which iteration of the Mighty Pirate I should go as.

Guybrush_Threepwood.png

Is my first choice, I like the blue coat and Melbourne being Melbourne I can see it being a cold day so I figure win/win, however....

GuybrushMI3.png

.... seems a hell of a lot easier to cobble together.

The plan is to go for all three days (already paid for) but I don't think I want to go in a costume all three days (and budget is a little tight). What I'm hoping is for some advice to make the first costume a little more cost effective. Please keep in mind I'm fairly new to this whole thing and any advice/criticism will be greatly appreciated.

@Grogdrinkwater You've probably picked one of the most cost effective costumes you can get! Pirates are common, which means there are all kinds of options. Try ebaying "Pirate costume" and you'll see what I mean. Since I'm trying to put together a pirate themed costume as well (Gangplank form LoL) I'll let you know if I come across any bargains :)

• GrogdrinkwaterGrogdrinkwater Wagga Wagga, NSWRegistered User new member
    zerochosen wrote: »
    @Grogdrinkwater You've probably picked one of the most cost effective costumes you can get! Pirates are common, which means there are all kinds of options. Try ebaying "Pirate costume" and you'll see what I mean. Since I'm trying to put together a pirate themed costume as well (Gangplank form LoL) I'll let you know if I come across any bargains :)

Thanks that would be great. Been thinking about it a lot today and Guybrush just seems better and better.

I was condsidering doing 2nd costume of Lechuck, but ill see how i go time permitting..

This discussion has been closed.