As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sketchbook of Faces, People, and Things

saeujaewoosaeujaewoo Registered User regular
edited November 2013 in Artist's Corner
Hi everyone, I'll be starting this thread with a few sketches from today.
For this sketch, I was inspired by the style of Disney's Paperman short which preceded the movie Wreck-it-Ralph. I will be updating this thread daily and hope to improve overtime. So please guide me in the right direction, thank you!

Nov.11, 2012 / Day #1
0001.jpg
0002.jpg

saeujaewoo on

• saeujaewoosaeujaewoo Registered User regular
    Nov.12, 2012 / Day #2
    0003.jpg

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Is there anything in particular that you are going for, that we could help push you towards with critiques? Is there anything specific you're trying to accomplish (beyond that 1st piece)? If you have some ideas, that would be really useful for us to help get you there. :)

(And I know this is only 2 pieces, but if/when you post something different than a cartoon-y portrait of a girl, I think that will also show a lot more in regards to your range of skills).

edited November 2012
    Yes, I would like help on being creative, drawing with a purpose. I've always found myself doodling but I've begun to realize that I always resort to the same style, same person, expression, theme, object, line, quality, etc. I was able to come to this realization through a friend's remark and wanted to do something about it.

I am not 100% sure how to go about this, but maybe for my next upload I will give myself a clear objective and you can help me to fine tune it to better complete the objective?

saeujaewoo on
    That might be a good idea! If you're finding yourself stuck, the best thing to do would be to try different things. Try drawing something you've never drawn before...or look at an artist you really like, and try drawing in their style. Or, alternatively, you can try finding an artist that is very different from what you usually do, and try drawing in that style.

If you tend to draw people, try doing a landscape, or building, or animals.

edited November 2012
    One more thoughtless doodle before tackling my new objective.
    0004.jpg

Wise words from a friend:
    "If you are drawing for fun, then it should be a fun character."

Question:
    But what kind of character is fun?

Possible Answer:
    A character with many personalities.

Objective #1:
    Design a character with many personalities.

0005+:
    0005.jpg

saeujaewoo on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Change it up!!
    3 SUPER close ups, and one body shot!! They look "nice". They're not bad and it looks like you're headed int he right direction, time for you to draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw draw....then draw some more.

Oh..and post post post too

edited November 2012
    Haha NakedZergling, For sure, Ill be drawx99 and posting daily.

Did this one right after 0005, I think being able to make fun of yourself is a type of personality right?
    0006.jpg

saeujaewoo on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Thats already way more fun. I want to color it!!

edited November 2012
    @NakedZergling, color it :D

I was able to finish one more sketch just before midnight. More coming tomorrow!
    0007.jpg
    "Funny on a stick."

saeujaewoo on
    edited November 2012
    Nov.13, 2012 / Day #3
    0008.jpg
    "Squirting Flower Shower Head."

This is another sketch in the fun character objective, except rather than drawing a person, I personified a shower head by giving it a red clown nose and decorating it with petals. My goal here was to give a sterile shower head some character and communicate a fun user experience where users would have to pinch the red nose for water.

saeujaewoo on
    Objective #2:
    Design a hybrid character.

Nov.14, 2012 / Day #4
    0009.jpg
    "Cat Girl"

edited November 2012
    These all feel a little too closely cropped. Maybe try drawing an entire upper torso, at least? Ideally, a full-body? If you're trying to draw different things I think that would be important.

NightDragon on
    NakedZergling
    Nov.14, 2012 / Day #4
    @NightDragon
    Full body Character
    0010.jpg
    "The Cardinal"

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    If you constantly crop your drawings that way, if feels like you're trying to hide something. Like a person who always draws the hands hidden away by something in order to avoid illustrating them.

• MyntMynt Registered User regular
    Top down perspective on the human figure can be very difficult to draw... I'd suggest trying to pull from a reference for some practice, or get a friend to take a picture of you from above to get an idea on foreshortening and perspective of the body from strange angles.

The perspective suggested by the top half of his body doesn't match the perspective suggested on the bottom half so those legs have a hard time connecting to that body in a logical way. A good telling point is to look at the perspective his cuffs are drawn in, and compare it to the perspective of the bottom of his coat. They're both ovals on somewhat similar planes so they should retain a similar shape. Instead, the bottom of his coat is a flatter oval than it should be. Also, his head would be a bit bigger, being closer to the viewer, unless he has giant shoulders... :P

That being said, kudos on trying it, it's not easy. Draw them hands tho! :)

Also, you don't have to spoiler your images... let that art breathe!

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    These all feel a little too closely cropped. Maybe try drawing an entire upper torso, at least? Ideally, a full-body? If you're trying to draw different things I think that would be important.

Draw a verb

NightDragon
    ^^^ Yes, also that. Definitely that.

edited November 2013
    My goodness, has it already been a year since i last posted?

Here is what I've been up to :)
    All drawn on a Galaxy Note 8.0.

Feedback always welcome.

tumblr_mwqcszDWzg1rljfalo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mwqpfrL1GM1rljfalo1_1280.png

tumblr_mwr1pulsvd1rljfalo1_1280.jpg

saeujaewoo on