As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, November 13, 2012 - Discourtesy

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited November 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Discourtesy

Discourtesy
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/discourtesy

Painful Testing

Anonymous

The first game development I did for public consumption was an add-on for Quake II. We were a team of about ten people, and I was the only software developer; everyone else was graphic artists, map designers, modelers, sound engineers, etc… all spread across the United States.

As we neared our planned launch date, I began to get moderately concerned about the fact that during the last year of development, even though every one was able to play the game on their own systems, not once did we have an actual deathmatch in which we actually played each other.

As a programmer, this was unthinkable: releasing a product specifically made for deathmatch without actually testing it for deathmatch was unimaginable, but I was outvoted by the rest of the group. They simply wanted to get the game out there so they can scream “Look! I made that!”

We released it on a Saturday morning, and less than half an hour passed before we were notified of the first “showstopper.” The bug: if two rockets collided in mid air, the game crashed instantly… and violently. It was an issue that was impossible to detect in an environment outside of deathmatch, or even in a controlled testing environment, but in the real world it happened all the time, especially in Quake II where the hit boxes of rockets were cubes two feet across.

So we pulled the release and we (or I, as the case may be) immediately went in to repair mode to release a patched version. The rest of the team finally listened to me and decided to create a test environment, but rather than do a closed alpha test they decided to invite players from the outside world to test it along with the developers.

So after I fixed all the bugs I knew of (and there were still several I didn’t know about), we hosted a deathmatch server with the “alpha” build. All eight members of the team joined in and waited until other players showed up.

Two players, anonymous denizens of the Internet that responded to our call, showed up, and through in game chat we asked them to test this by trying to take on the developers. Just for kicks, we decided to make the teams exactly as they stood: one team had all eight of us, the people that actually created the game, and the other team were these two unknowns that didn’t even know the game existed until an hour earlier.

No other “showstoppers” were found, but the two anonymous players literally decimated us. It was a rout unlike anything ever seen in the world of deathmatch. I think our death-to-kill ratio was 40:1 by the end of the match.

After a few weeks, we finally released the product… and I went my own way to work with groups that understood the concept of game testing.

On a semi-related note: one of the bugs reported was that if you uninstalled the add-on, it would also uninstall the entire Quake II directory. We had several emails from players complaining “Damn it!!! Now I have to buy Quake II and return it again!!!”

Geth on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I sense the "Here's a job that has the potential to be awesome, but I'm not considering you guys for it lol" theme growing.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    This comic was hilarious.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    *Edit- dont' mind meeee~*

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I love the last line of the story. I think I would call that a "feature" :)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Q striking out on his own is pretty much where I thought this was going. They need a new project, the comic has gone about as far as it can go with Lawstar, hell it sort of compromised its original premise as soon as they became post-launch QA.

• Options
    blurfmanblurfman Registered User new member
    edited November 2012
    this is now a webcomic about kurtz's terrible fucking self-insertion mary sue.

congrats on breasting the tape in front of buckley and sohmer in the race to be the worst fucking webcomic ever produced

p.s. "q" stands for "queef"

blurfman on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Given your post history I'm going to go ahead and assume you don't have a huge interest in contributing positively to these forums.

• Options
    IamToochIamTooch Registered User regular
    Kate Beaton eyes. I'm pretty sure mine get like that when my boss says the words "new project" in front of me. Of course they do the same thing when someone eats a cookie nearby.

• Options
    wormspeakerwormspeaker Objectively Terrible Registered User regular
    blurfman wrote: »

At the risk of responding to a troll, I would say that none of the characters in this comic match Scott Kurtz's personality at all. Apparently blurfman thinks that Q is Mary Sue for Kurtz, but I can't really see it. I think maybe blurfman doesn't understand the concept of Mary Sue or self insertion (painfully self censoring anal self insertion joke here) because Q isn't actually a heroic or even pleasant character at all. None of the characters are the kind of people that you'd want to know in real life at all, let alone idolize.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I think the fact that both Kurtz and Q are, shall we say, somewhat on the zaftig side was all that was needed to establish a "connection" in the dim recesses of blurfman's mind.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's probably futile to respond to someone who is unable to reply and was only trying to annoy you in the first place.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I wonder what Q was eating. Heck, I wonder what everyone ordered. Is that pie? Steak? A brownie?

• Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    I wonder what Q was eating. Heck, I wonder what everyone ordered. Is that pie? Steak? A brownie?

Q has a pair of what appear to be chopsticks next to his cup. From this we can deduce that pan-asian fusion may, may have been involved.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ahahaa, of course Isaac cannot sit next to Q.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Those might just be the bottom of forks, spoons, and/or knives. It's a mystery still! And he eats pretty fast - everyone's drinks are mostly full. Unless they've just been refilled recently. In which case Isaac is on his second fruity thingy at least. This meal chronology is questionable.

• Options
    Some people eat basically their whole meal before they drink. Don't understand it myself, but I have known people who do it.

Our analysis of this comic is granular.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

Yes.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Some people eat basically their whole meal before they drink. Don't understand it myself, but I have known people who do it.

I'm actually one of those people but I assumed that Isaac at least wasn't eating anything (where would he put his plate?).

Pie brownie sounds good, but pie steak and steak brownie and pie steak brownie are all foods I think I would prefer not to try.

• Options
  • Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular

I'm actually one of those people but I assumed that Isaac at least wasn't eating anything (where would he put his plate?).

Pie brownie sounds good, but pie steak and steak brownie and pie steak brownie are all foods I think I would prefer not to try.

I assume that "pie steak" would be like a meat pie, which, if you've never had one, is delicious. For serious. Hit up the next Irish festival you can, and get in on some of that meat pie action.

Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    I'm vegan, so I think I'll pass, but you're describing a steak pie, which is one of two possible options for that combination. The other is "pie steak" which is somewhat more worrying.

• Options
    I'm vegan, so I think I'll pass, but you're describing a steak pie, which is one of two possible options for that combination. The other is "pie steak" which is somewhat more worrying.

I know you can have tuna steaks, because getting a steak is, as I understand it, the result of a specific cutting process. Therefore one could infer that that a pie might be cut in a similar way, producing pie steak.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I guess I'll take up the mantle and be that guy:
    but the two anonymous players literally decimated us.
    Since there were only eight on the team, does that mean no one was harmed?

forty on
  • Options
    I think that would technically mean that they lost 0.8 players.

• Options
    Somebody's missing some important bits, for sure.

• Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular

I know you can have tuna steaks, because getting a steak is, as I understand it, the result of a specific cutting process. Therefore one could infer that that a pie might be cut in a similar way, producing pie steak.

You've just opened up a whole new culinary world for us.

Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular

Really old people. Like, Depression era folk. My grandpa will order black coffee with anything because "washing it down" is not a concept he cares anything for. Other works cited: the ancients I would serve when I waited tables.

• Options
    ApolloinApolloin Registered User regular
    Okay, this was the most unrealistic Trenches comic ever. QA Lead promoted to Developer, gets enormous bonus in first quarter of Dev work. *laughs until tears in eyes* Sure. Yeah.

• Options
    Sgt.Big_BubbaloolaSgt.Big_Bubbaloola That's Mr to you! Everywhere man....Registered User regular
    Mmmmmmmmm steak brownie ........ glarghhhhhhhhhghghghghghghghghh *drools*

Well gosh, I suppose I might as well settle in for a nice cuppa ...... this is gonna be good!
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Those might just be the bottom of forks, spoons, and/or knives. It's a mystery still! And he eats pretty fast - everyone's drinks are mostly full. Unless they've just been refilled recently. In which case Isaac is on his second fruity thingy at least. This meal chronology is questionable.
    They are the only people in the restaurant. Any halfway decent server is going to keep their drinks topped off.

• Options
    I was going with the "one in every ten people is killed" definition.

• Options
    forty wrote: »

Right, decimation was the execution of one out of every ten men. So if we go by the definition of "reduce by a tenth" they lost 0.8 people out of their group of 8.
    Explaining+a+Joke.+Had+to+make+this+to+reply+to_498eca_3881172.jpg

• Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    blurfman wrote: »

congrats on breasting the tape in front of buckley and sohmer in the race to be the worst fucking webcomic ever produced

p.s. "q" stands for "queef"
    Blurfman's clearly a failed, jealous webcomic author.

• Options
    forty wrote: »

Right, decimation was the execution of one out of every ten men. So if we go by the definition of "reduce by a tenth" they lost 0.8 people out of their group of 8.
    I know what you were getting at. I'm saying they didn't have a 10th man to execute so everything must have been OK!