As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Boy, I sure showed THAT computer game

13»

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Remember when people complained about Sin's load times? I played that again recently. It loads almost instantaneously.

19981118h.jpg

first one

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man am I glad Gabe improved as an artist.

Veevee on
  • Options
    DJDeeJayDJDeeJay Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Interstate '76 was one that I remember trying "recently" (a few years back). I can't remember exactly what the machine was, but it was awesome to be playing it again, despite some texture corruption.

I was also going to bitch about how I can't get LEGO Creator to run, until I found this just now Clicky. Apparently, it's an XP "ready" version of the game. I'm so getting that after i recuperate from buying my new PC. And in the meantime, I'm probably going to try installing I'76 again 8-) .

Carmageddon 2 was a fun one to get up and running again. I don't know about the windows side, but I was playing the mac version on my 500mhz Graphite iMac and loving it. Too bad Carmageddon 3 sucked ass. I do find it really funny that I still haven't seen another car combat game that does such a great job with locational damage as C2. Tangent time! I remember haxoring the demo for C2 to:

a) get rid of the time limit that booted you out of the demo (it was something like 15 minutes, then you were booted out of the game regardless of the in game timer)

b) finding out how to change your vehicle, since it would force you to select the red "main" car.

I know these aren't as old as some others being brought up, but when I was growing up, my dad only had Macs, which seriously limited my options. Wolfenstein, Duke 3D, Marathon, etc. were my games once I started acknowledging what a computer was capable of.

DJDeeJay on
    FrozenMonk.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had this old DOS game as a kid called Inca. It was mostly interactive FMV or something, and it ran slow as hell back in the day. One day when I had windows XP I found the old 3.5" floppy and jumped through all the hoops to run it again. It was too fast to play, it was running at something like 8x what the speed should be. I don't know what kind of compatability glitch that is, but it was odd to say the least.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ZetaZeta Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, I remember trying to play BF2 on my old(er) comp with a geforce fx 5900, 512 ram. Now with my beefy new machine (7800 gtx, 2 gigs ram, 3.something ghz processor) it runs like butter at max settings. BUTTER.

Zeta on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DJDeeJay wrote: »
    Carmageddon 2 was a fun one to get up and running again. I don't know about the windows side, but I was playing the mac version on my 500mhz Graphite iMac and loving it. Too bad Carmageddon 3 sucked ass. I do find it really funny that I still haven't seen another car combat game that does such a great job with locational damage as C2. Tangent time! I remember haxoring the demo for C2 to:

a) get rid of the time limit that booted you out of the demo (it was something like 15 minutes, then you were booted out of the game regardless of the in game timer)

b) finding out how to change your vehicle, since it would force you to select the red "main" car.

I did that with Carmageddon 1! Well, the cars. I then bought the game when it initially came out and it was full of the "green blood" zombie crap, so I made my own patch to re-insert the gore from the demo! The only thing I didn't do was the skidmarks of blood...they were still green.

Incidentally...there was a Carmageddon 2 for Mac?? As a recent Mac purchaser (Macbook) I'm finding myself with more time to game. I'd love to get some carmageddon on (preferably the first + splatpack if it's available), any idea if it'll run on an intel based mac? Otherwise it's bootcamp or parallels I guess.

Oh and there was a point to this post. Winquake should quite happily run quake under xp. It also fixes network games, so if anyone DOES fancy a game of Quake, please do text me. It's the only FPS I'm halfway good at. Oh and I LOVE the Painkeep mod if we can get a few people together. Gravity Well and Chain Lightning Gun are hilarious.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DJDeeJayDJDeeJay Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    ... Incidentally...there was a Carmageddon 2 for Mac?? As a recent Mac purchaser (Macbook) I'm finding myself with more time to game. I'd love to get some carmageddon on (preferably the first + splatpack if it's available), any idea if it'll run on an intel based mac? Otherwise it's bootcamp or parallels I guess.

0319071014ca5.th.jpg

0319071014ait6.th.jpg
    (I can't believe that I knew exactly where the disc was... hehe)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it runs off an Intel based Mac. The only ones I have around are both older (Quicksilver G4 and Graphite iMac G3).

Amazon linkies for Carmageddon and Carmageddon 2 for Mac.

DJDeeJay on
    FrozenMonk.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DJDeeJay wrote: »
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    ... Incidentally...there was a Carmageddon 2 for Mac?? As a recent Mac purchaser (Macbook) I'm finding myself with more time to game. I'd love to get some carmageddon on (preferably the first + splatpack if it's available), any idea if it'll run on an intel based mac? Otherwise it's bootcamp or parallels I guess.

0319071014ca5.th.jpg

0319071014ait6.th.jpg
    (I can't believe that I knew exactly where the disc was... hehe)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it runs off an Intel based Mac. The only ones I have around are both older (Quicksilver G4 and Graphite iMac G3).

Amazon linkies for Carmageddon and Carmageddon 2 for Mac.

Awesome. I own two copies of Carmageddon, one copy of Splat Pack and one of Carmageddon 2. All for pc. Now...do I actually commit to buying the Mac versions, just because I can then play them on my laptop...? I believe I should (after investigating any intel problems)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All this Quake 1 talk reminded me - I played and finished the entire game at sub-10 (and often sub-5) FPS framerates on my 486 66MHz. Playing it again when I got a P90 was like a whole new game.

Jazz on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Heh. System Shock when you're not playing it on a 386/40. Holy cow, the framerates go into double digits!

Glal on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Carmageddon 1 was so much fun (I also owned and played the Mac version, small world), but the rest of the series just sucked. Even 2.

I could just sit there and play Carmageddon for hours and hours.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    codechinocodechino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i tried to play cnc red alert on my first computer, which had a cyrix processor that ran at 25mhz. took about five minutes to deploy my starting mcv. unfortunately, when playing on newer machines the AI works so fast that i have hordes of light tanks at my base before i can build my first powerplant.

codechino on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I remember when I couldn't plau Unreal Tournament GOTY. On my E-machine with a 4 gig HD and absolutely painful specs. Then I upgraded to Pentium 2.4GHZ, 512RAM and a 128MB GeForce MX (Whoo buddy those were the days!)

Sadly, i've only made video card upgrades since then. I'm falling deep into minimum spec land /:

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I remember when I couldn't plau Unreal Tournament GOTY. On my E-machine with a 4 gig HD and absolutely painful specs. Then I upgraded to Pentium 2.4GHZ, 512RAM and a 128MB GeForce MX (Whoo buddy those were the days!)

Sadly, i've only made video card upgrades since then. I'm falling deep into minimum spec land /:
    What sort of painful specs? UT's min reqs were remarkably close to Unreal's (which were pretty "OMG you have got to be joking" back then). Except that by the time UT came out, they were the equivalent of... fuck, that game probably runs on toasters now. ;)

I find irony in running UT on my laptop, because it runs so well yet is totally unplayable on laptop controls. Note to self, bring a mouse and preferably a separate keyboard next time. ;)

Jazz on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jazz wrote: »

What sort of painful specs? UT's min reqs were remarkably close to Unreal's (which were pretty "OMG you have got to be joking" back then). Except that by the time UT came out, they were the equivalent of... fuck, that game probably runs on toasters now. ;)

I find irony in running UT on my laptop, because it runs so well yet is totally unplayable on laptop controls. Note to self, bring a mouse and preferably a separate keyboard next time. ;)

I've seen UT suffer on integrated video back then. Just for kicks, I ran it in 100% software on my dual Celeron system (2x366MHz@550MHz). I even removed the dithering in the reflections that software mode tries to default to. It was incredible. It was exactly like running it on my 3dfx Voodoo3 and my GeForce2 GTS-V in the same system. After seeing the results of a software 3D engine like that back then, it makes me wonder why software emulation of unsupported DirectX features doesn't work very well (and won't be possible in DirectX 10 IIRC).

CZroe on
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    I remember when Diablo 1 took more than a minute per loading screen, and then jerked slowly forward through its "gameplay".

Maybe I'm just old. :(

Bah, I remember having enough time to go make a sandwich while I waited for the computer to go through it's turns in Master of Magic. Sadly, that game is long dead and from what I've garnered impossible to play unless you have a machine that's running actual DOS due to the extended/expanded memory fuckmuppitry needed to get it to run in the first place.

I've been able to play Master of Magic and Master of Orion on an XP system using VDMSound without too much trouble

GameHat on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I actually would be interested in buying a compatibility system, that is, a ten year old computer with Windows 95. Are there any specialty websites that sell them?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I actually would be interested in buying a compatibility system, that is, a ten year old computer with Windows 95. Are there any specialty websites that sell them?
    Why not just buy a normal computer, format the disk, and install win 95?

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    Quake has a frame-limiter. Is it turned off in your settings?

Sorry I wasn't clear: I didn't have that specific complaint with Quake, but I did have a lot of others, such as a backwards UI that barely even recognized a mouse, and broken graphics left and right.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    Damn you people for making me install Mafia again.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

LockeCole on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just found a couple days ago that Warcraft and Warcraft 2 are cake to run on XP. Just pop in the CD and BAM. Game installed in .05 seconds.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Makes me want to try Interstate 76 again... that thing was based off the Mechwarrior 2 engine, which was such a fucking hog the first time it came out, that I can't understand why they thought basing a high speed car chasing game on it was a good idea... (made the game a really cool realistic simulation, though... despite it running like a hog).

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've had no success getting Afterlife to install on XP. And the urge to play is always strong.

Henroid on
  • Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Anyone remember Outcast? Fucking Voxels, took me 3 years to get a 733 MHz Pentium to run that game in all it's glory.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    12gauge wrote: »
    Anyone remember Outcast? Fucking Voxels, took me 3 years to get a 733 MHz Pentium to run that game in all it's glory.
    Outcast was a fantastic game, but yeah. Remember when Voxels were supposed to the future?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Here's the deal people: If you have a bunch of older PC games that you'd like to play someday, build a compatibility system. The parts were dirt cheap a year after they were made... they're practically free now! Throw in a motherboard that can support a large modern hard drive and load it up with all the operating systems you might need. You might want a sub-8GB drive for the primary one with some 2GB partitions but it shouldn't be hard to do. I'd go with a GeForce2-class card because the last drivers were very modern and even some T&L games have problems with modern operating systems.

I actually did that once and then... well.. I upgraded it.

That's right, I'm so ingrained in the upgrade cycle of PC gaming I upgraded my compatibility system. The irony didn't hit me till I realized I had the Windows 98 glitch of having more than 512MB of ram in it.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Back when I was starting to play Everquest in '00 I had this little shit kicking progen 266 mhz pentium 3 computer. Was a piece of shit. Upgraded to a 700 mhz p4 and was completely blown away. Had my Voodoo 3 too. I was happy. Man, long time ago.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I've seen UT suffer on integrated video back then. Just for kicks, I ran it in 100% software on my dual Celeron system (2x366MHz@550MHz). I even removed the dithering in the reflections that software mode tries to default to. It was incredible. It was exactly like running it on my 3dfx Voodoo3 and my GeForce2 GTS-V in the same system. After seeing the results of a software 3D engine like that back then, it makes me wonder why software emulation of unsupported DirectX features doesn't work very well (and won't be possible in DirectX 10 IIRC).

Yeah, UT's software 3D performance was amazing. Probably the last game that was true of.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Triple B wrote: »
    I just found a couple days ago that Warcraft and Warcraft 2 are cake to run on XP. Just pop in the CD and BAM. Game installed in .05 seconds.

Totally. I still play them every once in a while. Only thing is I can't get any music in WC1 (I have WC2 BNE so the issue is moot). This is the kinda stuff that makes Blizzard a name spoken in hushed voices around campfires, and which my grandkids will ask me about one day in a "Is it true that you played Blizzard games in your time? People at school says they're just a made-up story" way.

Seriously, do these guys ever use ANY system libraries? The only way their games keep working this well is if they're pretty much all completely programmed from the ground up, which is a huge feat. The only snag is the ol' "whoa-the-map-scrolls-way-too-fast" which I keep thinking they should go back and release one last patch just for it.

Speaking of which, Warcraft 1 and Vista. Someone tell me they tried it and it works.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    BigDes wrote: »
    12gauge wrote: »
    Outcast was a fantastic game, but yeah. Remember when Voxels were supposed to the future?

Crysis? ;)

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    SimBen wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »

Totally. I still play them every once in a while. Only thing is I can't get any music in WC1 (I have WC2 BNE so the issue is moot). This is the kinda stuff that makes Blizzard a name spoken in hushed voices around campfires, and which my grandkids will ask me about one day in a "Is it true that you played Blizzard games in your time? People at school says they're just a made-up story" way.

Seriously, do these guys ever use ANY system libraries? The only way their games keep working this well is if they're pretty much all completely programmed from the ground up, which is a huge feat. The only snag is the ol' "whoa-the-map-scrolls-way-too-fast" which I keep thinking they should go back and release one last patch just for it.

Speaking of which, Warcraft 1 and Vista. Someone tell me they tried it and it works.

I'm trying to remember if I did the same with Daggerfall on my XP rig. I'm pretty sure that just worked too. Well, plus patches.

It's nice to not have to jump through hoops to play these old games on newer machinery. I'm still scowling at you, Strike fucking Commander.

Jazz on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007

because win 95 would probably be incompatible with 90% of the hardware?

bongi on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    Zing!

Jazz on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Virtual pc is free and the virtual videocard should be enough to run anything win95 could.

stigweard on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    stigweard wrote: »
    Virtual pc is free and the virtual videocard should be enough to run anything win95 could.

Nope, but there is a tweak that will get you some hardware acceleration from your real card if you use VMWARE.

CZroe on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Back when I was starting to play Everquest in '00 I had this little shit kicking progen 266 mhz pentium 3 computer. Was a piece of shit. Upgraded to a 700 mhz p4 and was completely blown away. Had my Voodoo 3 too. I was happy. Man, long time ago.

The PIII "Katami" CPU debuted at 450 and 500MHz. I know because I was first in line for a 500MHz one. ;) The PII 266MHz CPU wasn't even a 100MHz FSB CPU, but at least it didn't have the CPU ID (PID).

The P4 "Williamette" CPU debuted at 1.4 and 1.5GHz, though a 1.3GHz CPU was made available later (I bought this retail for the included 128MB PC800 RDRAM).

Enjoy this trek through history.

CZroe on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    Zing!
    Not so much. The only thing that would be hard to get compatible would be the video card.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    I've had no success getting Afterlife to install on XP. And the urge to play is always strong.

Good lord, you mean to tell me that I wasn't the only one who played this?

I first ran it on an old Performa that could barely run OS9. Very fun game, but the installation was a little odd for some reason (some issue running a certain type of CD, if I remember correctly), and the game would occasionally crash. A few years later, I found the CD again and tried to run it on an old iMac with a broken monitor. It worked in OSX classic mode, no crashes, no weird installation. Then I lost the CD... sigh.

naengwen on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Speaking of VPC and VMWare: does anyone know how to slow either of those two down? I'm emulating Win98 with 512MB of RAM so I can run X-Com in a window, BUT its still using my stock CPU speed. I don't want to use Turbo to slow things down because I'm doing other things in the background of the main machine while X-Com is running.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I still wish SS2 wouldn't go to black-screen after the opening movies.
    Oh... "L-l-l-ook at you... Hacker. Can't even play my game! Loserz!!1"

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.