Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Let's Play: Civilization V!

1313233343537»

Posts

  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My last game, where I warred with Austria for ages. After a temporary peace where she'd given me one of her cities, we went back to war again. She had built all her cities quite close together. So I was able to build a citadel situated 3 tiles away from two of her cities. Stuck a rocket artillery in there, out of range of the cities' defenses, and just plinked away at her. It was lovely.

  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    So I wanted to try getting my Science Victory with Korea, since last time Alexander ruined everything, and I ran out of turns.

    And it turns out that motherfuckers just do not learn lessons about fucking with Korea, and whether or not you should do it.

    I was on the same continent as Alexander again, so I made sure to have a decent army from the get-go.

    Plus it was me and Ghandi and Nobunaga, and we were the choicest of bros for fucking 6000 years, so when Alex got too big for his britches, we sent him packing.

    Then out of fucking NOWHERE, in like 1920, Ghandi's like "Fuck you, denounced". Out of NOwhere. He thinks I'M spreading too rapidly, even though he's got like 10 more cities than I do, and I haven't build a damn thing since the mid 1800s. 50 or so turns later, he's just like "Okay, fuck it, War".

    Which sets off a chain reaction. Japan's at war with the Iriqouis, but he figures "fuck it, the 2nd and 3rd biggest armies on the planet ain't shit". So now I'm at war with my two bros, India and Japan. Then Germany's like "Never waste a chance to screw someone in the back...!" And Boudicca's like "Gotta get me a piece of that action." So I have four people who want my blood across 2 continents.

    Well, the jokes on you, I finished airports in almost every city, chucklefucks. I didn't lose a single city. I went close to 100 turns without losing a single unit. Towards the end of the 1800s I had been able to finally get my science game running after struggling with low happiness, stingy neighbors, and mucking around with Alexander's bullshit on the battlefield and with the citystates, so I was able to make it first to basically every major military tech well before Ghandi lost his fool mind. I've got nukes. I've got Rocket Artillery. I've got Uranium. I begin the great cleansing. My armies march across the face of the earth, burning everything in their path. Delhi receives the first taste: their entire army is north; their southern flanks have been ignored, because there is little military presence there; this is where I build the first Atomic bombs. Within 100 turns, my Battleships own the sea. My Bombers cleanse the air. My Giant Death Robots make the earth tremble.

    5 turns from eliminating Japan, India, Germany, and the Celts, in the 2030s, having nuked a good chunk of the northwestern hemisphere, my last space ship component finishes building. Colonists are frozen in stasis in clear plastic pods clustered around a massive glass window so that the entire earth may see their hundreds of middle fingers pointed squarely in their direction as the ship speeds into the stratosphere, and beyond. The colonists sleep dreamlessly as they offer their unconscious regards to the planet that could not learn it's lesson. They do not even see the radioactive wasteland they are leaving behind.

    Alpha Centauri awaits: will Planet learn the lesson of not fucking with Korea before it is too late?

    It is so difficult to ignore the temptation to switch to a conquest victory when this happens.

    I've had at least two mostly loyal allies in my last few games, which ultimately kept me focused on science or cultural victories. Even then, they switched from friendly to afraid once I started adding nuclear arms to my already eclipsing army. That was the first time I had seen an AI Civ's status as "afraid".

  • sarukunsarukun Mr. Bulldopps Get SchwiftyRegistered User regular
    smof wrote: »
    My last game, where I warred with Austria for ages. After a temporary peace where she'd given me one of her cities, we went back to war again. She had built all her cities quite close together. So I was able to build a citadel situated 3 tiles away from two of her cities. Stuck a rocket artillery in there, out of range of the cities' defenses, and just plinked away at her. It was lovely.

    I hate the way the AI builds cities, all crammed together, but it certainly makes defending them a lot easier when their bombard radii overlap.

    Until some one makes it to artillery, anyway.

  • sarukunsarukun Mr. Bulldopps Get SchwiftyRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    So I wanted to try getting my Science Victory with Korea, since last time Alexander ruined everything, and I ran out of turns.

    And it turns out that motherfuckers just do not learn lessons about fucking with Korea, and whether or not you should do it.

    I was on the same continent as Alexander again, so I made sure to have a decent army from the get-go.

    Plus it was me and Ghandi and Nobunaga, and we were the choicest of bros for fucking 6000 years, so when Alex got too big for his britches, we sent him packing.

    Then out of fucking NOWHERE, in like 1920, Ghandi's like "Fuck you, denounced". Out of NOwhere. He thinks I'M spreading too rapidly, even though he's got like 10 more cities than I do, and I haven't build a damn thing since the mid 1800s. 50 or so turns later, he's just like "Okay, fuck it, War".

    Which sets off a chain reaction. Japan's at war with the Iriqouis, but he figures "fuck it, the 2nd and 3rd biggest armies on the planet ain't shit". So now I'm at war with my two bros, India and Japan. Then Germany's like "Never waste a chance to screw someone in the back...!" And Boudicca's like "Gotta get me a piece of that action." So I have four people who want my blood across 2 continents.

    Well, the jokes on you, I finished airports in almost every city, chucklefucks. I didn't lose a single city. I went close to 100 turns without losing a single unit. Towards the end of the 1800s I had been able to finally get my science game running after struggling with low happiness, stingy neighbors, and mucking around with Alexander's bullshit on the battlefield and with the citystates, so I was able to make it first to basically every major military tech well before Ghandi lost his fool mind. I've got nukes. I've got Rocket Artillery. I've got Uranium. I begin the great cleansing. My armies march across the face of the earth, burning everything in their path. Delhi receives the first taste: their entire army is north; their southern flanks have been ignored, because there is little military presence there; this is where I build the first Atomic bombs. Within 100 turns, my Battleships own the sea. My Bombers cleanse the air. My Giant Death Robots make the earth tremble.

    5 turns from eliminating Japan, India, Germany, and the Celts, in the 2030s, having nuked a good chunk of the northwestern hemisphere, my last space ship component finishes building. Colonists are frozen in stasis in clear plastic pods clustered around a massive glass window so that the entire earth may see their hundreds of middle fingers pointed squarely in their direction as the ship speeds into the stratosphere, and beyond. The colonists sleep dreamlessly as they offer their unconscious regards to the planet that could not learn it's lesson. They do not even see the radioactive wasteland they are leaving behind.

    Alpha Centauri awaits: will Planet learn the lesson of not fucking with Korea before it is too late?

    It is so difficult to ignore the temptation to switch to a conquest victory when this happens.

    I've had at least two mostly loyal allies in my last few games, which ultimately kept me focused on science or cultural victories. Even then, they switched from friendly to afraid once I started adding nuclear arms to my already eclipsing army. That was the first time I had seen an AI Civ's status as "afraid".

    My only two remaining Friendlies flipped into Afraid halfway through my scouring of the Western continent. "No, no," I assured them, "I only wish to annihilate the bad man. You're not bad men... are you?"

    I also discovered on the last map that not having any archipelagos between you and the next continent suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

    Anialos
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I hate messing around with ocean bullshit anyway. As nice as it is that any land unit can build a boat, it would be even nicer to have some kind of carrier to get them across the ocean faster and as a group.

  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Been playing more EUIV to mix in with playing lots of Brave New World, and I got to say my favorite country to play so far is actually Poland. You start off fairly weak with lots of big powers near you, but as time goes on your power increases into you can eventually form the Commonwealth with Lithuania, at which point you become like the dominant power in eastern Europe.

  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I hate messing around with ocean bullshit anyway. As nice as it is that any land unit can build a boat, it would be even nicer to have some kind of carrier to get them across the ocean faster and as a group.

    Yeah, a troop transport would be awesome.

    mts wrote: »
    heres how i see it being a total win situation for you
    1. stay with your wife while she dog sits. this wins husband points since she knows its out of your comfort zone
    2. have sex all over her friends house so that the next time you see her friend look at you condescendingly, you can wink back knowing you did the freaky deaky where she eats her cheerios.
    Tofystedeth
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I always kinda like it when the post-renaissance world just randomly devolves into a massive war, except that the turns take sooo looonnggg when everybody has a million random units that need to be ground up

    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
    sarukun
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I'll have to try out Poland at some point. Right now I switch from a Spain game to a Portugal game, so I can go nuts on colonization. My next game will probably be Sweden, to have fun with a land power.

    Steam ID - Syphyreal --- 3DS Friend Code: 2723-9387-1002
  • sarukunsarukun Mr. Bulldopps Get SchwiftyRegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    I hate messing around with ocean bullshit anyway. As nice as it is that any land unit can build a boat, it would be even nicer to have some kind of carrier to get them across the ocean faster and as a group.

    That's precisely why I love archipelagos; I build units there instead of on the home turf.

    But airports fix all that. That's how I gave Germany what for.

  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Something I've learned that EUIV and Civ V share is that once you have vast sprawling power the game becomes a bit dull. And wouldn't you know, my Commonwealth has become the dominant western and central European power, as well as being one of the few bastions of the protestant faith.(Because I planned on crushing the papacy anyway.) It was fun getting to this point as it took quite a bit of work but honestly I'm thinking I'm starting to get a bit tired of it.

    I had grand ambitions of eventually acquiring all the land of the Holy Roman Empire and completely dismantling it, but the nasty web of alliances has made that slow going. I've managed to conquer or diplomatically annex about a third of it so far, while on the other side France has taken around another sixth. (I think the time period is like 1590s-ish.) I've also taken much of Hungary, pieces of land here and there from a few other places, etc. In total I have the second biggest military in the entire world, the sixth biggest GNP, and have managed to keep up to date with technology.

    Other interesting things that happened in the game that I had nothing to do with are: Portugal entered a personal union with England as the leading partner, because of said personal union England never conquered Ireland and the Irish nations eventually united into a single Irish nation, Muscovy never turned into Russia because they got into lots of trouble with the steppe nomads, and Sweden successfully waged a war of independence against Denmark. The whole Portugal inheriting England thing was kind of a downer in the long run because it made all the relationships in Europe a lot simpler. (Everyone versus France, which was boring.)

    I think I might try my hand as either Portugal, one of the Scandinavian nations, or maybe even a member of the Holy Roman Empire.

    Gundi on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Anyone up for multiplayer at 7 pm est?

    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
Sign In or Register to comment.