As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Artemis for Child's Play

ZharaZhara Nerf Herder, GamerRaleigh, NCRegistered User regular
edited November 2012 in Social Entropy++
fellow gamers:
My husband and I have started organizing a charity event for Child's Play, a charity built to provide toys and games to kids currently in hospitals. Too often these kids don't get the holiday gifts many of us receive every year due to their families simply being unable to afford them under the weight of medical bills. Children, even sick children, should be allowed to be children and have toys and games (and books!) to play with.
In order to draw people, we are holding an Artemis marathon from 11:30am to 5:30pm on December 29th at Game Theory , an awesome gaming store in north Raleigh. For those of you not familiar with Artemis, it is a "Starship Bridge Simulator", where each person, with their own console (computer), is part of the bridge crew managing a ship while completing missions, fighting battles and scrambling to save starbases and other ships! If you've seen any episodes of Star Trek, you can get a good feeling for how this game works. It's a very social game and an enormous amount of fun. We figure that we can introduce some new people to this game as well as make some money for Child's Play this holiday season.
We are still coming up with ideas on how to drive our donations and any ideas would be appreciated. Please keep in mind that we will have alot of players that are new to the game. For those of you who can't attend, but would like to donate to Child's play on behalf of the marathon, visit our chipin page and donate! All proceeds are going to Child's Play.
Here's how it will work:
- Donate on the Chipin page, any amount is appreciated. Feel free to bring donations when you arrive, too. We'll donate all the money through chipin you give us.
- If you want to work towards setting up additional bridges for co-op or PvP, bring a Linux or Windows laptop (The game is known working via WINE) and a network cable. I recommend setting up a "limited" temporary account if you do this, and don't bring a machine with lots of sensitive info on it unless you protect it!
- We'll be set up with a single bridge (5 stations + main screen) with cameras over ustream
- If you don't want to be on camera, just let us know when you get there.
- I'll have as much network cable as I can get and a 24 port switch to connect additional gear, as well as a private WIFI network for the game, so if we need to spread out we can use wireless.
- We'll do single-bridge on rotation for everyone there, as well as set up PvP
and Co-op events as players want. The idea is to get people introduced to the game if they're new, and generally have a good time with fellow gamers.
- Game Theory has tons to do, and we'll bring board and card games for those not currently playing, so feel free to drop in and just have fun!
- The store has snacks and drinks for sale and there's several places to eat nearby, including a really good pizza joint.
Finally, most of the discussion and the "central point" for the event discussion is Facebook. You may also check us out on Twitter. I've included direct links for everyone below as well, so you don't have to use Facebook to attend if you don't want to.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
[1]: http://www.childsplaycharity.org
[2]:http://www.gametheorystore.com/
[3]: http://artemischildsplay.chipin.com/artemis-for-childs-play
[4]: http://www.meetup.com/Game-Theory/events/91060252/
[5]: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/artemis-charity-event-for-child-s-play
[6]: https://www.facebook.com/events/299446110156145/
[7] https://twitter.com/Artemisforchild

“First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.”
Zhara on

• Options
    ZharaZhara Nerf Herder, Gamer Raleigh, NCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Sorry for the double post, Editing original and deleting this one..

Zhara on
    “First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.”
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hi.

Welcome to the Penny Arcade forums.

We're glad you're supporting Child's Play, but if you can't be bothered to format your post correctly or even not post two of them, we'll be forced to treat you like a spam bot. Please contact a moderator for the forum you're placing these in for permission before making any new threads.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Zhara has contacted the moderator staff and obtained prior permission to promote this event.

Geth, reopen the thread.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Rankenphile. Opening thread...

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai SSSSSSSSSSS Registered User regular
    Geth, love me

xXNXOA7.png?1
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    wait north raleigh?

Isn't that just the nice part of cthulhu's sunken city?

• Options
    Even Cthulhu loves children to get toys at Christmas. It spreads joy he gets to crush later.

• Options
    Once we get a Guaranteed second ship (and enough laptops to run it). We will be revealing our donation "Shame us!" drive. It will start at the lowest difficulty with the best ship, as the donations pour in the difficulty will increase and we will get worse ships to play in. This will be for the streamed ship so you can watch our terror. Our Live Chat room will also be open on game day.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I appreciate this originally being posted in what appeared to be Markdown

• Options
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    I appreciate this originally being posted in what appeared to be Markdown
    aye, as I explained to the Mod in a private conversation. I wrote it as I usually write my work emails. I fixed it for the forums. I'm sorry that my brain was still in "work mode" :D

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    No worries. The forum software is capable of supporting md, just hasn't been turned on (probably wont be, either)

• Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    artemis is amazing

gonna be on mobile soon supposedly

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    artemis is amazing

gonna be on mobile soon supposedly

I wish it still worked on my computer, but something in the latest patch keeps me from playing. I never got a chance to play with more than one other person either, which makes me sad. :(

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Cool idea. I'll be too far away to attend, unfortunately. Good luck, though.

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    Cool idea. I'll be too far away to attend, unfortunately. Good luck, though.
    Please watch the upstream then and join the chat the day of then, godmode! When we have enough people signed up for a confirmed 2 ships, then you shall see how we will mock ourselves for your pleasure! If we are 2 weeks out and only have one ship, then we shall do it anyway!

• Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Geth, love me

Dream on meatbag.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    As we get more towards our goal We will go up in difficulty, using worse and worse ships. We will be forced to use less powerful weapons by ship design and not allowed to change difficulty till the donations hit a certain level. PvP play donation drive will be revelled when we have more confirmed ships. For every $450 dollars we raise, we will raise the difficulty level from 1 - 11. During that time for every $90 we raise we will change ships for the current difficulty level (after completion of current mission, if the next goal hasn't been reached) going from good to worse. We will begin the next difficulty level on the next worse ship level progressing again through the ship levels and beginning again at the currently funded ship level till the next difficulty level is reached. More info on ships can be found here. I'll post up the official list of how we will be doing the ship progression Sunday after we have compared missile capacity vs beam power to get the maximum bang for your buck, so to speak!
    edited for errors from husband's notes.

Zhara on
  • Options
    After much consultation and headbanging, we have finalized our ship goal drive. It goes as follows:
    For every $90 we raise we will use the next difficulty in of ship in our current difficulty setting after the current mission is completed. The ship order is:
    Dreadnought
    Battleship
    Missile Cruiser
    Light Cruiser
    Scout

After we raise difficulty, we will begin the next difficulty at the first ship level again. After the third difficulty we will start only on the Battleship for 2 difficulties, then the Battleship for 2 and so on and so forth.

This program will only work if we get a second ship signed up, so others can come join in. We have tested all the hardware and gotten the program to work on Linux. We still plan on implementing this if we only have one ship, but only after letting the new players get used to the game (say a mission or two).

• Options
    edited December 2012
    We've updated our goals and have things graciously donated to sell. We will have them with us tomorrow at the location. We would like to thank Game Theory and Red Hat once again for supporting us in our efforts! Here are images of the things we will have with us that were donated. We look forward to seeing those of you that can drop in on us either on-site or through Ustream! I know there are many drives out there for Child's Play this season. Thanks to everyone who did their bit to bring in money for this effort in any fashion! The real winners are the kids!! We look forward to tomorrow and hope that you can find it in your hearts to throw another dollar into the pot for us!

Zhara on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Thank you, Fishman! We're having a great day here and everything is going splendidly!