As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Planetside 2 VANU] Apparently there have been upgrades! People are playing this!

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Just wanted to say that for a game that doesn't look all that nice, it sure runs like shit.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Just wanted to say that for a game that doesn't look all that nice, it sure runs like shit.
    Well that's great and all but maybe discuss stuff like that in the main thread.

To answer squad leader question, typically leaders should have the beacon upgrade at least. I'll post a list of volunteers when I get home from work.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Oh sorry. Didn't realise there were two threads.
    My bad.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    My wife thinks you guys are assholes for telling me what to do all the time, and just made the most amazing face when I told her "that is the point and I love it!"

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Ugh, only got like 5 cert points last night, compared to 40 from the night before. Was still fun. I don't think I'm ever getting into another air vehicle without flares though, those lock-on missiles are a pain in the ass.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    My wife thinks you guys are assholes for telling me what to do all the time, and just made the most amazing face when I told her "that is the point and I love it!"

Its called TEAMWORK honey!

What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    So, taking some advice from the main PS2 thread, I had steam verify the memory cache. Turns out there were about 137 files it couldn't verify and has started to redownload about 3 gigs of the game.

Hopefuly that will help with the crashing, and once that's done (which will be at least a couple hours from now, thanks to my slow ass internet connection) I'll be hopping in and onto vent to join up with you guys.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rogueknight-Rogueknight- Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    One more volunteer for the Vanu Outfit! I've been working on Engineer and All-Purpose Pilot at the moment and hope to see some of you guys in game soon.

If someone is doing some adds to the outfit and wouldn't mind adding me in - my character name is Rogueknight. Thanks!

Rogueknight- on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Didn't get to play last night, but had a blast two nights ago.

Finally got to do some of that real medic shit when we were taking over that facility near the enemy warpgate. I was up on the North tower with a couple CoA engineers and a couple CoA sniper-types, and every so often they'd all get wasted by enemy tank fire, so I could run around and rez / heal everyone. Then, that one time, an enemy heavy came up and started shooting people in the back, but for some reason he didn't attack me, so I just followed around in a nice big circle, rezzing everyone behind him. Then he died. :D

That's basically how I played MAG with the PA crew, and it was a blast, then, too.

Decided to quit when, on the way to the next target, the light tank I was driving got stuck on a slope, I couldn't advance, turn, or retreat, and I couldn't get out of the tank because all the exits were blocked.

I still can't kill anyone for shit unless I seriously get the drop on them, though - but the couple of times I did? Hell yeah.

Also Bang Bus 4 lyfe.

Space is handbrake, by the way, if you're having some trouble with sliding down a mountainside.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    If I could have the Revive Grenade immediately, I'd probably play the shit out of a medic. So many opportunities to use it, and I bet it'd produce crazy xp.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Yeah, I feel like I am already seeing where groups mow down the infantry, but leave the sunderer up, just so they can continue to mow down the infantry. Of course that may not be by choice with how anti armor works in the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    bought engineer proximity mines last night, those are always fun.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayo wrote: »

Are these the anti-people or anti-tank ones? I was thinking about saving for the AT ones...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »

Are these the anti-people or anti-tank ones? I was thinking about saving for the AT ones...

The problem is they take up the ammo pack slot. So you sacrifice that to get the mines which aren't always as useful. I'm conflicted. They're strong, if something hits them.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I decided to roll NC on waterson

I look forward to shooting all of you

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

The problem is they take up the ammo pack slot. So you sacrifice that to get the mines which aren't always as useful. I'm conflicted. They're strong, if something hits them.

You actually still have the ammo pack, you just have to select your turret and press B. No idea if thats a bug or not though.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    if it is a bug, it's one that's been in and well-documented since beta. Seems weird to me, but at this point I just assume it's intended behavior.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Damn, the ammo pack gets me so much XP, I would hate to lose it to carry something that I might use at some point, depending on the situation.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular

It looks beautiful and runs really smooth for me, man.

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    @SniperGuy Today I saw what your new Defense/Attack thing does. There was a Shield on the map with a downward arrow that someone had placed on a base that was being attacked.

Don't know how to do it, obviously, but it works.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    The game looks pretty great. I mean the player models are iffy sometimes, but otherwise its beautiful.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Wow. The Vanu reflex sight is fucking awful.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Last Son wrote: »
    Last Son wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

You actually still have the ammo pack, you just have to select your turret and press B. No idea if thats a bug or not though.
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat.

I'll have to try this when I get home. If i dont die in the black friday hellhole. And figure out the attack defend waypoint thing. Seems handy. Taranis and vyn have both expressed interest in squad leadering as well, so if squadding about try to have one of us three be leader so you can get drop pod beacons and waypoints and good times. Hurray!

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I like the vanu reflex. But I also use the 2x zoom one. On the pulsar c. It's the bees knees.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    It needs to be a different color and maybe a bit thicker in my opinion.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    It needs to be a different color and maybe a bit thicker in my opinion.

That's what she said. OH!

Also, installing dis now. What weapons should I unlock with that $10 infantry pack?

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    JagetoJageto Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Just made a VS character (Name: Jageto). Decided to buy 2,000 SC with the Black Friday sale - would love recommendations on what to get (namely for a Heavy Assault).

Jageto on
    Steam: Kaguto
    Origin: Kaguto
  • Options
    the lock on anti-vehicle rocket would be my first purchase; it's pretty useful and you can still dumb fire it at short range.

maybe trial the alternate SAWs and/or minigun; get whatever you like best, then the forward grip and whatever sight you like.

After that I'd probably get either an AA MAX setup or the skyguard since air is annoying, and upgrade the activated shield (the damage reduction shield was reeeaaallly good on beta, but I'm not sure if it still is.)

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    If we are actually going to field multiple squads, dare I suggest using the in-game voice? It's got a button for each squad option, and I won't keep shooting behind me when someone says "BEHIND YOU!!!"

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Mumble would be great for a game like this

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    So, it looks like I am going to playing this because shooting lasers is fun. My dude's name is SchadenFred, and getting invited would be pretty okay. It will give me something to do that isn't League of Legends, which seems healthy

• Options
    the ingame voicechat is actually pretty robust, to the point that I don't really understand why everybody wants to use external voicechat, unless you're managing a very large number of people or something

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    the ingame voicechat is actually pretty robust, to the point that I don't really understand why everybody wants to use external voicechat, unless you're managing a very large number of people or something
    Individual volume controls for each person is pretty great.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    the lock on anti-vehicle rocket would be my first purchase; it's pretty useful and you can still dumb fire it at short range.

maybe trial the alternate SAWs and/or minigun; get whatever you like best, then the forward grip and whatever sight you like.

After that I'd probably get either an AA MAX setup or the skyguard since air is annoying, and upgrade the activated shield (the damage reduction shield was reeeaaallly good on beta, but I'm not sure if it still is.)

I would suggest going for the AA rocket launcher. You can dumb fire it at vehicles while also having a solution to Air (especially since its early and not everyone has flares yet). The AV one isn't bad, but its lock on distance used to be much greater. Get both eventually, but I would suggest getting the AA one first.

• Options
    In game voice for me seems to suck. I can't use it to any effect. If someone can help me figure it out i'd be more inclined but it seems very spotty, while vent is stable, let's you change volume y individual users, I'm an admin so I can setup squad channels or whatever we need, etc. it's got all the stuff we need. Individual volume controls is in vent. Just right click special effect volume.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Battle Rank 10 HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I unlocked the Squad Beacon and will probably shoot for the command channel next. I'm also dumping all the points ever into my lightning because god damn can I do some work with that thing. Then again, it was my ride in PS1 also so no surprise I'd love it in PS2 as well.

PSA: You only need one rank of the nanite repair system and the first level of zoom optics only costs 1 cert point. There's really no reason not to take either of those if you drive a specific vehicle a lot.
    After that I'd probably get either an AA MAX setup or the skyguard since air is annoying
    Do not buy the Skyguard. It is fucking aaaaaaaaaaawful. Does shit damage, has shit accuracy, and is useless against anything ground based making you complete dead weight outside of the AA role.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    the best thing they did in this game was to give dual weapons to all the max units. I know it was a TR only thing in PS1, and that's why I rolled with them. Now, I can buy a VANU max with dual people killers and have my own flashlight rave.

I guess I should learn how to use a lightning, but I've never been a good tank pilot in these games. I've alway preferred infantry, accepting my limitations in mobile warfare, and ambushing the tanks from trees or rock outcroppings.

i'll hop on in an hour, gonna get some laundry done and buy some food. (Small thanksgiving this year, already polished off the leftovers)

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i am a completely awful armor pilot and always will be

the only thing i can drive worth a shit is the scythe, and i hate flying it because it's slow as ass and air-to-air combat is boring

i'll stick to shooting mans on the ground

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I guess I should learn how to use a lightning, but I've never been a good tank pilot in these games.
    Eh, there's plenty you can do outside of a tank. I drive a Lightning because I love those things, not because I felt forced to. Just find something you really enjoy and stick with it. The only vehicle thing I recommend everyone does is to drop the points for the Sunderer AMS. It does pay for itself and it'll be good to know that no matter who's online, we can get a functioning battle bus rolling.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So, the internet connection went fritzy just as it was about to finish downloading the busted files, and when it reconnected, Steam had lost it's place on the download and is downloading those 3 gigs... again...

...So now I'm not going to be able to get on tonight, hopefully I can leave it one overnight and will be ready to play first thing in the morning.

steam_sig.png