As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Planetside 2]: Lasers for the laser god.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Apparently the Vulcan kills enemy armor extremely fast, but of course it does have limited accuracy.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    Apparently the Vulcan kills enemy armor extremely fast, but of course it does have limited accuracy.

Yeah, I've run into Vulcan-equipped Prowlers a few times. Or at least, the few times that I know of when they killed me. Once you're within its limited range, that thing hurts like hell.

I was once low enough for it to fire at my Scythe. Only for a second. A second is all it took :shock:

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I noticed last night that the game now remembers whether you last had a weapon's laser on or off so you don't have to keep turning it off each time you spawn.

Is anyone else having trouble logging into SOE via the game client? I want to see if I get a significant bump in performance by using the i7 IGPU in tandem with my discrete GPUs, but I can't login. :( Tell it's not because the client misidentifies Virtu MVP as cheat program.

Even if you get it working, the real word benchmarks I have seen show an almost negligible improvement. What GPU do you have?

2x 560 ti's in SLI

Their website dubiously claims that it can increase frame rates by 30%, but it will be worth it even if it only gives me 5 additional FPS during large firefights in PS2. Right now it seems like Guild Wars 2 is the only game I have installed that's stable with the program. :(

Do you have those 560s paired with a i7 2600k? That would be the exact same setup I have.

If so, you should be getting a solid 40+ FPS regardless of what you are doing and where you are. The largest firefights I get into really don't bring my FPS down noticeably. I will run some benchmarks tonight and give you some solid numbers. I think troubleshooting low framerate issues is a far more effective use of our time than trying to get Virtu working.

I've got a 3770k. I usually get a solid 60 FPS with all settings on Ultra, but it dips down to the 50's in Tech Plants/Amp Stations and down to 45+ in large firefights at Tech Plants and Amp Stations. Have you tweaked Useroptions.ini? You should be getting better frame rates than 40+, since even my Q9650 (with the same video cards) usually stayed around 50-60 on high.

As of right now I can't even log in to launch pad with the application disabled and the processes stopped, soo unless the SOE servers are down I'm probably going to give up and uninstall Virtu MVP.

I'll have to try tweaking the usersettings and see how things go. I can't run on Ultra because big fights tank my framerate into the twentiess even though my computer isn't a lightweight. That said, I have yet to drop a second 670 into mine, a problem that will be rectified next week. I just pulled the trigger on another one of these: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperClocked-Dual-Link-Graphics-04G-P4-2673-KR/dp/B007Z3HZLM
    I doubt it'll help that much seeing as how this game is a hosebeast on the CPU end of things, but when I crack my case to slap the second card in and do some recabling I'm also going to spend that day overclocking my 3770k. I'm gonna push for a 4.5ghz OC, but the 3770k is a tempermental SOB so even though I've got an H100 cooler on there I won't be too sad if I can't hit 4.5ghz. I'm hoping to be able to run this game on True Ultra after that. :D

Yeah apparently the Ivy Bridge doesn't overclock nearly as well as the Sandy Bridge. :( Hopefully Intel's next CPU won't use shitty thermal paste between the cores and the heat spreader when it designs its next CPU. Still, 4.5ghz is allegedly attainable with most 3770Ks.

There's no way I should be getting better frame rates than you right now. One of those cards alone should destroy both of mine in SLI. Do you see an improvement in performance if you optimize PS2's geforce profile for performance over quality in every applicable setting? If not then you've got to have a serious problem somewhere. Speaking of which, I somehow lost my PS2 profile when I upgraded...

Elldren wrote: »
    somebody here told me that the Alpha Squad boost doesn't go away now when you override it with a short term boost

that somebody is a liar

Sorry if that was me, because I mentioned that I'd heard someone say the same thing but also found out that that was false shortly thereafter. You could always contact customer support and try to get them to give you another alpha squad boost. That worked for me a few weeks after launch.

I haven't done any optimizations yet mostly due to laziness. When I get home Monday that'll be one of the first things I do now that I've seen your post where you're getting way better FPS on much higher settings.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    there are stories on the interwebs of people who've taken even i5s up to 4.5 (or higher, for all I know.) The sandybridge chips were super nice for overclocking

I don't feel any burning need to take mine over 3.8, especially since I don't have some outrageous cooling setup. My graphics card (adequate for most PC games I'm playing) is the bottleneck in PS2 at this point for all but the most gigantic battles, and I'm fairly content to just disable shadows and turn some other settings down.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular
    My i5 3570k can hit 4.7 stable on air. I run it at about 4.3 normally though, just to keep the temps where I like them.

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The 3770k can be good for overclocking, it's just that you have to crack the fucker open and replace the garbage they used instead of thermal paste with some proper paste. The only real reason to do this though is if you're on some sort of OC team that has "tank of liquid nitrogen" on its list of cooling setup parts.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    My 3570K is at 4.4. Hottest core is 57 Celsius. In the summer that will go up a bit, but air conditioning will keep it well under 75 degrees.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    man, the TR pistol is just fucking amazing.

• Options
    wakkawa wrote: »
    man, the TR pistol is just fucking amazing.

If by amazing you mean slightly overpowered and retarded then yeah.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Patch notes:

General

Bonus of Composite armor for ESF reduced by 5% each rank (10/15/20/25 down from 15/20/25/30)
    Base time to reload increased by approximately 25% for tank HE
    Fixed an issue where lock-on rockets and missiles would sometimes not damage the target they hit
    Fixed bug with Lightning 100mm AP where its outer radius was set to high
    Reduced amount of decelerating that occurs after afterburning
    Acceleration of Reaver afterburner increased
    Addressing a server memory issue

Flak Mechanics Changes

We now remove the flak projectile when it bursts near an enemy aircraft. Previously the projectile was allowed a chance to continue and strike the aircraft directly, which would deal additional damage (burst damage + direct hit damage). We have increased burst damage to compensate for the loss of direct hit damage. This should result in an overall increase to flak damage and make it more consistent

Skyguard

Flak burst damage increased by 20%
    Direct hit damage against infantry and other targets increased
    Turret movement is now slightly smoother

Phalanx AA

Flak burst damage increased by 14%

MAX Burster

Flak burst damage increased by 6%
    Burster projectile adjusted to more reliably hit infantry that are in close range
    Direct hits with the MAX Burster can no longer damage the heavy armor of tanks, Sunderers and Phalanx Turrets

Farming infantry with HE cannons RIP :(
    On the plus side, hopefully the skyguard is less shitty and can actually be a threat to infantry.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Ugh

The problem with the Skyguard had nothing to do with damage to things that are not aircraft (although hell I'll take it). Nor to the damage it does to aircraft.

It's turret response and projectile speed.

Those are the reasons you pretty much always want a dual burster Max over a Skyguard.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Flak burst damage increased by 20%
    Direct hit damage against infantry and other targets increased
    vader.jpg

BAD SOE! BAD! NOT ON THE RUG! NO BISCUIT FOR YOU!

This is the last fucking thing they needed to do. The Skyguard's problem has always been that it couldn't hit the broadside of a fucking barn, not that it couldn't do enough damage. Meanwhile the Burster MAX is even better despite not needing a buff in the slightest. Lovely.
    Base time to reload increased by approximately 25% for tank HE
    Fucks given: Zero. Let the HEAT rounds fly!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    maybe I'll give the HEAT cannon a try, I can afford 300 or so certs

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    whoop, even more reason not to fly anymore.

Or more people are just going to spam liberators since there are going to be even less fighters out.

Seriously, the fuck is wrong with them.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2013
    Back to HEAT for the Magrider, whoopty doo. I'm glad I didn't dump certs into the HE gun, now.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Lt Muffin360Lt Muffin360 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I still see myself still using HE. Reload time on it in my Lightening was really fast so it should still be pretty quick. Will have to think about the Magrider though as that wasn't overly fast before...

Lt Muffin360 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I played with the lightning a bit this morning and the increased time was surprisingly annoying (stupid little infantry running behind walls and such), but doesn't make it unusable or anything. Maybe tonight I'll give the HEAT cannon a trial and see how I like it in comparison.

I wish they'd buff the reload time certs; I wouldn't mind dropping another few hundred there, but at present you have to invest like 1200 certs just to take a quarter second or something off the reload.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I am surprised they nerfed ESFs but not the Liberator

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Yeah, esf felt sufficiently discouraged, but this does little to go after the culprit of zephyr lib spam.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    The NC really got the shit end on the INDAR warpgates. Every time our pushes just end at zurvan which is pretty much in a fucking canyon surrounded by VS and TR bases.

• Options
    VS and NC both get hamstrung by the crown/zurvan, but NC have it the worst by far. They come out of the warpgate and their whole push just gets stopped at zurvan/tawrich every time. Sometimes they'll take the crown for a while but I literally don't remember the last time I saw them get further north or west than that.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    On the plus side, their Amerish warpgate is fucking annoying to push to, probably the worst in the game. TI Alloys makes Indar a lot easier for VS than the other factions.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I like defending TI Alloys when the enemy has The Crown, it's a surprisingly defensible little base.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    I'm a bit saddened to see no mention of rotating warp gates for the january update.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    ...and that's why it's called SCYTHE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnmUcnSUWSM

• Options
    Skyguard trip report: Still an incredible piece of shit.

Extra damage doesn't mean anything if you can't hit the broad side of a galaxy due to the spread at range.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Fairly sure the extra damage means precisely 20% more damage than was done previously. Accuracy does not somehow reduce that to, like, 10% or something stupid. It doesn't work that way.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Finally tried my hand with the NC Piston today.
    I am still horrible at this game.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Garthor wrote: »
    Fairly sure the extra damage means precisely 20% more damage than was done previously. Accuracy does not somehow reduce that to, like, 10% or something stupid. It doesn't work that way.

No one is saying that.

If the accuracy is so bad that you only average 2% (an arbitrarily chosen number) of a liberator's health in damage per second then the extra 0.4% isn't going to make a meaningful difference. Especially since each round no longer has a chance to 'crit.' The only changes that will really help the Skyguard are either a much higher damage buff and/or a tightened cone of fire. SOE apparently doesn't want to do the latter because of how good the Skyguard was in beta, which is dumb.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    The Skyguard was absurd in beta. I imagine a small change in accuracy would mean a big change in effectiveness, so they don't want to overdo it.

Other things to keep in mind: SOE has data on weapon effectiveness and we don't. If something is underperforming they will see it in their data, which is a much better indicator than our subjective experience. Also, in the upcoming patch people will get XP merely for damaging craft, so you will be rewarded for chasing off air even if you don't get the kill.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    It would be nice if my infantry AA launcher projectiles would actually hit liberators they've locked on to. I also wouldn't mind seeing the old "must maintain level flight to bomb" system that PS1 had because I'm tired of libs vertical circle strafing while bombing the shit out of the ground.

MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    Enig wrote: »
    The Skyguard was absurd in beta. I imagine a small change in accuracy would mean a big change in effectiveness, so they don't want to overdo it.

Other things to keep in mind: SOE has data on weapon effectiveness and we don't. If something is underperforming they will see it in their data, which is a much better indicator than our subjective experience. Also, in the upcoming patch people will get XP merely for damaging craft, so you will be rewarded for chasing off air even if you don't get the kill.

I'm sure they have more data, but how they correlate that data is what I'm concerned about. Plus they probably aren't going to get an adequate amount of data on something practically no one uses. We can't entirely discount the importance of subjective experience either.

They obviously know about the problem with Skyguards, and buffing it lttle by little is the best approach, but until its accuracy gets buffed it's not really going to be useful. Regardless of how much XP I get for scaring off an aircraft. I still have no reason to use a Skyguard over a burster MAX if I'm less likely to even hit aircraft and more likely to die and run out of ammo.

That being said, I still have faith in SOE to eventually get things right.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Anyone try out the skyguard's "improved" ability versus infantry yet?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    It's okay, the off center aiming is a bit finicky up close, but you can take out engies running at you. On flat terrain you're better just trying to run them over.

Now the burster max buffs vs infantry, those are an awesome addition and work quite well.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Man I need to start recording. Last night had the most absurd kill yet. I'm being shot down, so I land and try to repair. Nope follow up shot kills the scythe. Flat area, no cover.

I turn and blaze away at the ESF , and kill it right before it crashes into me. O.o

• Options
    When are Light Assaults and MAXes supposed get the attention they've been promised? I want a second utility slot goddammit.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    MAXes seem fine to me, aside from the stupidly bad vanu AI guns (which really just need their fire cone tightened up a bit and they'd be okay.)

It's hard to think what additional utility LAs should get that wouldn't just be biting something some other class does. Being able to hack things would be a good fit (they're better at 'infiltrating' than the infiltrator anyway), but just giving them another class' ability seems silly. The suggestion I've seen people post is that they should have some kind of ammo scavenging ability, but I dunno how that would work really.

Also I trialed the HEAT on my lightning and while it did make me realize how nice the extra half second of reload time is, I also really missed the HE's blast radius. I dunno, I can't decide which I'd prefer to go with and it'd cost like 400 certs to get the HEAT cannon unlocked and set up.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    If they improve the Vanu guns they'll have to improve the TR ones even more, because the Cosmos beats basically anything they get. Really, though, none of the MAXes are good at Anti-Infantry, outside of Hacksaws inside the Biolab. MAXes are still the best Ground to Air, though, which is kinda ridiculous.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    If they improve the TR and VS guns then they will have to weaken the NC guns some more.

Cus SOE hates NC people.

Unless you are talking about just MAXEs. That's all we got.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    wakkawa wrote: »
    If they improve the TR and VS guns then they will have to weaken the NC guns some more.

Cus SOE hates NC people.

Unless you are talking about just MAXEs. That's all we got.

Would you go drown in your tears already?

A duck! on
This discussion has been closed.