As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] Thread Sabotaged by Exalt - Use the New Thread

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Damn, I can see it as Morbo too.

And yeah, that's why this is weird. We've gotten like no word on this expansion. We have such little information beyond a title. And they added the achievements? It's really odd. I hope this means its coming soon, but wouldn't they release some info?

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    August 20th or 21st is when they said they are releasing information. Some game conference or something.

EDIT: looks like it'll be at Gamescom in Cologne/Germany.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Yeah like I've suspected, they're gonna keep it on the D/l until The Bureau drops in a few weeks.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I've always thought it would be awesome if one time they just announced a game, and then just as everybody is getting all sad because it won't be out forever they go "by the way, it's out next week ". Of course that would be severely wishful thinking.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I've always thought it would be awesome if one time they just announced a game, and then just as everybody is getting all sad because it won't be out forever they go "by the way, it's out next week ". Of course that would be severely wishful thinking.

Not happening because publishers need time to market and pimp the title. Shit, ask Sega about the Saturn launch.

• Options
    WeisskaiserWeisskaiser TokyoRegistered User regular
    FUCKING SUPPLY BARGES

Entered the cargo bay? thing at the end of the ship and immediately encountered two sectoid commanders (what the hell were they doing there?). But it's just them, no problem, right?

Next turn a cyberdisc and its drones shows up, accompanied by two mutons and a berserker, and three heavy floaters.

Thankfully they cluster together and I rocket them and take out the berserker with my assault. Only a drone is left in the end, and I send my other assault to take it out.

She somehow manages to activate a sectopod and entourage, plus another muton x2 berserker x1 patrol, all of them standing at the entrance to that long corridor.

FUCKING SUPPLY BARGES

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    That's XCOM.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    13thLegion13thLegion Registered User regular
    FUCKING SUPPLY BARGES

Entered the cargo bay? thing at the end of the ship and immediately encountered two sectoid commanders (what the hell were they doing there?). But it's just them, no problem, right?

Next turn a cyberdisc and its drones shows up, accompanied by two mutons and a berserker, and three heavy floaters.

Thankfully they cluster together and I rocket them and take out the berserker with my assault. Only a drone is left in the end, and I send my other assault to take it out.

She somehow manages to activate a sectopod and entourage, plus another muton x2 berserker x1 patrol, all of them standing at the entrance to that long corridor.

FUCKING SUPPLY BARGES

I saved at the start of my first supply barge mission and the game keeps bugging out on it. Teleporting mutons, activating enemies, fucking "shot in the head behind full cover while hunkered down" for an instant kill from a Cyberdisk.

I have the same sentiments for Supply Barges; It's all a bunch of bullshit!

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Been feeling an itch to play this again. Has anyone tried This mod? Seems good.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    Supply barges are just the worst UFO type for buggy bullshit. I've never had a clean mission on one.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Supply barges are just the worst UFO type for buggy bullshit. I've never had a clean mission on one.

lies.
    Beserkers on the roof are fantastic!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    That's XCOM, BABY

• Options
    Hey is there an XCOM achievement for mulitplayer?

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    There are 2 I think. One viral for playing multi with somebody who has it and one for winning a ranked (I think) multiplayer match.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Anyone have the viral one? I could use it.

• Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Anyone have the viral one? I could use it.

I'm pretty sure playing with literally anyone will give it to you at this point

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    Oh well OK then.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    If it doesn't pop for you while going for a ranked win let me know. I think I have it and will play a casual round with you.
    EDIT: Just checked - I do, indeed, have the Bubonic achievement.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    You know, I'd do some multiplayer, but Isn't that even buggier than the single player? So I'm pretty certain the game would just...I dunno spontaneously combust all my units on turn one, given how buggy SINGLE PLAYER is for me.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Multiplayer at least doesn't have magic fucking "just add water a nearby unit to activate" groups of aliens that hang out around the map jacking off until you make the mistake of revealing too much of the fog of war and fucking yourself over.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Well, since it crashed 4 times today on me alone, I feel that multiplayer would just crash the instant I start.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »
    If it doesn't pop for you while going for a ranked win let me know. I think I have it and will play a casual round with you.

Cool. I'm on the Xbox if that poses an issue.

• Options
    jefe414 wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »

Cool. I'm on the Xbox if that poses an issue.

Shoot - I'm on PC. I don't think there is cross-play like that. Sorry.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Bureau is on sale for $28

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/1294-the-bureau-xcom-declassified

You can via Paypal.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like The Bureau is region-locked.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Holy balls Enemy Within sounds awesome, genetic/bionic modification of your soldiers is something I've always wanted. And who does want to punch aliens with a giant robot man? Lots of different maps, improved old maps, more second wave options, with more stuff to be announced, aww yiss. They've got everything right so far, fingers crossed for geoscape improvements.

Rev3Games interview with deets/footage.

Release date is nov 12.

wilting on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    Holy balls Enemy Within sounds awesome, genetic/bionic modification of your soldiers is something I've always wanted. And who does want to punch aliens with a giant robot man? Lots of different maps, improved old maps, more second wave options, with more stuff to be announced, aww yiss. They've got everything right so far, fingers crossed for geoscape improvements.

Rev3Games interview with deets/footage.

Release date is nov 12.

And 6 more regional voice sets!

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    If you can't get to Cydonia, I won't buy it... onia.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    NEW YORK–(BUSINESS WIRE)– 2K and Firaxis Games announced today that XCOM®: Enemy Within, the expanded experience of the Game of the Year* award-winning strategy title XCOM: Enemy Unknown, will be available in North America on November 12, 2013 and internationally on November 15, 2013 for Windows PC, Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Mac® (distributed by Feral Interactive).

XCOM: Enemy Within takes the incredible experience from XCOM: Enemy Unknown and adds an array of new abilities, upgrades, and weapons to combat new enemy threats. The expansion also provides players with all-new maps, tactical and strategic gameplay, and multiplayer content. There is no better way to experience XCOM than with the massive amount of new content added in XCOM: Enemy Within. Fans will experience an additional three to four playthroughs on average before encountering all of the new material included in XCOM: Enemy Within, providing nearly limitless replayability.

“The incredible critical and consumer response to XCOM: Enemy Unknown inspired us to offer new content that would deepen the strong bond that has been created for our XCOM brand,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Firaxis Games is renowned for delivering massive, highly immersive PC expansions in the Civilization series, and XCOM: Enemy Within builds on that lineage and expands the experience for console gamers as well.”

“We promised gamers that we would deliver the same Enemy Unknown experience on both PC and console last fall, and we’re doing it again with Enemy Within,” said Ananda Gupta, lead designer at Firaxis Games. “The Commander Edition of XCOM: Enemy Within expands the already amazing XCOM experience for our console fans who are looking forward to even more of the game they love. It’s also a great point of entry for new fans just joining the XCOM fight.”

XCOM: Enemy Within vastly improves upon the experience of XCOM: Enemy Unknown with an incredible amount of new content. On PC** and Mac**, XCOM: Enemy Within features additional content that can be enjoyed with previously purchased copies of XCOM: Enemy Unknown. XCOM: Enemy Within will also be available on Xbox 360 and PS3™ system as the XCOM: Enemy Within – Commander Edition** – a standalone pack that expands the XCOM: Enemy Unknown experience featuring the new XCOM: Enemy Within content and the add-on content that was previously released for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, including the Elite Soldier Pack and Slingshot Content Pack.

Key features for XCOM: Enemy Within will include:

•New Soldier Abilities: Research a new alien technology to advance the capabilities of operatives:
    • Gene Mods: Construct the Genetics Lab to physically enhance operatives’ abilities, including augmentations to the chest, brain, eyes, skin and legs.
    • MECs: Build the Cybernetics Lab to enable the construction of the new Mechanized Exoskeletal Cybersuit, or MEC. The new MEC Trooper class has specialized abilities and each suit can be upgraded with new weapons including the flamethrower, grenade launcher and more.
    •New Weapons and Equipment: Give operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from the engineering team in the Foundry;
    • New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from a host of new enemies, including the Mechtoid;
    • New Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as Meld, has been discovered. Secure it on the battlefield and use it carefully back at base to unlock new research and upgrades;
    • New Tactical Challenges and Maps: Face new tactical challenges, on nearly 50% more maps;
    • New Multiplayer Maps, Units and Abilities: Create custom squad from a wider array of options and dominate opponents in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches.

XCOM: Enemy Within is rated M for Mature by the ESRB and will be available in North America on November 12, 2013 and internationally on November 15, 2013. XCOM: Enemy Within will be available for Windows PC and Mac for $29.99, and will be available for Xbox 360 and PS3™ system for $39.99 as the XCOM: Enemy Within – Commander Edition. For more information on XCOM: Enemy Within, become a fan on Facebook, follow 2K on Twitter and visit the official web site at http://www.xcom.com.

Nearly 50% more maps is not really lots, but it is more, which is nice.

I'm really happy that they locked on to the key failing of the core game - that is lacked re playability. You play it once and you're done as you've seen anything. I'd have hoped that they would specifically include some more detail in the strategy layer to keep things fresh, but maybe lots of stuff with not all of it appearing means there will be some emergent goodness.

And soldiers no longer all being American is equally great.

I kind of wish they'd mentioned some of the fluff in the press release though.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    I hope they've got some overhauls to the overall metagame layer.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Yeah allowing the voice sets is a simple but great change that everyone wanted. Its the kind of thing that demonstrates they 'get it'.

wilting on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    IGN article.

Single best change? UFO recovery maps that aren't in the fucking woods.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    Lots of great additional details in that article about balance changes, grenade types etc. Sounds like base defence and significant geoscape changes are in, if not confirmed, sweet.

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    For the Sniper, Snap Shot has had its aim penalty reduced from 20 to 10, and Squad Sight (incredibly powerful in Enemy Unknown) will now only do critical damage if you use the Headshot ability, reducing its effectiveness a bit. All of the sudden those two decisions have gone up there to the toughest of any ability choices, meaning I'll want to maintain at least one of each type of each class.

I don't know about that. The big advantage Squad Sight has over Snap Shot was that it massively increased the effective range of the sniper without putting the sniper at risk. A good vantage point, Damn Good Ground and a wide line of sight coverage and no Xeno can approach your squad without getting their head blasted off. And that's not counting Double Tap.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    For the Sniper, Snap Shot has had its aim penalty reduced from 20 to 10, and Squad Sight (incredibly powerful in Enemy Unknown) will now only do critical damage if you use the Headshot ability, reducing its effectiveness a bit. All of the sudden those two decisions have gone up there to the toughest of any ability choices, meaning I'll want to maintain at least one of each type of each class.

I don't know about that. The big advantage Squad Sight has over Snap Shot was that it massively increased the effective range of the sniper without putting the sniper at risk. A good vantage point, Damn Good Ground and a wide line of sight coverage and no Xeno can approach your squad without getting their head blasted off. And that's not counting Double Tap.

Agreed.

Squad Sight is incredibly superior to Snap Shot. The new balance tweaks don't change that. If you can't crit during Squad Sight it just means that Headshot will be getting more use and those shiny new Reaper Rounds (+crit) won't.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    The idea of destroying cover by punching a sectoid through it is really appealing to me.

Also: anyone notice that the new UFO recovery map (the farmyard) looks a lot like the standard farmyard map from the original XCOM? Sweet.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Enemy Within looks like it's going to be a Civ 5 -> Gods and Kings type improvement.

Exciting!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Exactly what I was hoping for. Very nice, Firaxis.

Mech Troopers?

Hot damn!

*tries to hide boner*

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I really want some sort of moral dilemma in regards to gene splicing and cybernetics versus good, old fashioned blood and bone.

I mean there's already ideas in my mind about forcing my troopers to sacrifice their limbs and their humanity to fight off the alien menace, but I want it to be acknowledged in the story and mission progression.

Enemy Unknown didn't have anything like that for its Gollop Chamber, but this time I think it would be a missed opportunity to skip over it completely.

Or, you know, just cloak a dude and run him over to a sectoid and punch that stupid sectoid through a wall and into an explosion.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Going to feel sooo good smashing all the lil mutons and chrysalids into walls while towering over the once imposing bullies that they were.
    I mean there's already ideas in my mind about forcing my troopers to sacrifice their limbs and their humanity to fight off the alien menace, but I want it to be acknowledged in the story and mission progression.
    Wouldn't be surprised if theres some crazy ass renegade group of X-COM soldiers jacked up on augments that you have to put down.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile