As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] Thread Sabotaged by Exalt - Use the New Thread

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    What if the regional voice sets turn out to be borderline racist stereotypes?

*Black soldier from "USA" is ambushed*

"Yo dawg, got an extraterrestrial G all up in mah grill!"

*Soldier from China comes to his aid*

"Ba-ba-koo pok!" *high pitched weaselly laughter*

I'd be fine with the first one as long as some of the white soldiers occasionally used it too.

Alternatively, I'd be fine with it if the white soldiers from the USA are all crazy rednecks.

But the game isn't going for ultra realism, dude.
    badumdish!

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

I'd be fine with the first one as long as some of the white soldiers occasionally used it too.

Alternatively, I'd be fine with it if the white soldiers from the USA are all crazy rednecks.

They have not done this, what they have done is just allow players to choose the localised language versions for soldiers, EG German, polish, French etc.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    Not a latin expert, but the mottos on those two emblems seem to roughly mean:

"Change to protect" and "Warrior in the machine"

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    oh and then they'd throw in a lisping homophobic voice for good measure

come on, don't be thilly geethe.

I read it like that, so I'm quoting it like that.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

They have not done this, what they have done is just allow players to choose the localised language versions for soldiers, EG German, polish, French etc.

Ahh. That's what I get for not reading the source and just relying on the posts in here.

Carry on!

• Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    I wonder if its possible to mod in redneck voice overs anyway. I'd love to have one of my soldiers named Jessie to be able to say "YO!" all day long.

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I wonder if its possible to mod in redneck voice overs anyway. I'd love to have one of my soldiers named Jessie to be able to say "YO!" all day long.

"Yes, Dr. Shen! Yes, SCIENCE!"

Always carrying stimpaks.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular

"Yes, Dr. Shen! Yes, SCIENCE!"

Always carrying stimpaks.

"Science, bitch!" FTFY
    We don't yet know the full extent of the Mech Trooper's skill tree, but we do know that the first skill they unlock will be Collateral Damage, whcih will allow us to more easily target terrain (which Gupta says is designed to get us closer to the free-fire weapons of X-COM: UFO Defense).

YESSSS

I really missed being able to purposefully destroy cover and set the world on fire when needed.

• Options
    I predict the flamethrower is going to be wildly OP until the first patch.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I wonder if cyber troopers will be immune to poison? Maybe that's for the genetic enhancement?

EDIT: Shit, I want to give my troopers poison sacs. FU floaters <spit>.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular

Really? Considering troops have panic attacks when a muton shouts at them I'm expecting orgies of panic fire. Either that or it will spread, killing nearby team members much like Far Cry.

• Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    On my first playthrough I'm only going to allow cyber enhancement for my soldiers that are critically wounded in battle. They will be entombed in their sarcophogi and will live on to fight with their battle brothers.

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Give this to me... NEOW!!!!

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    On my first playthrough I'm only going to allow cyber enhancement for my soldiers that are critically wounded in battle. They will be entombed in their sarcophogi and will live on to fight with their battle brothers.

Okay Davian Thule.

"Hope, is the first step towards failure."

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    DreadBert wrote: »

Really? Considering troops have panic attacks when a muton shouts at them I'm expecting orgies of panic fire. Either that or it will spread, killing nearby team members much like Far Cry.

Cultivate a soldier with high HP and low Will, give him a flamethrower, send him into the middle of the aliens.

"We call him Hell's Sprinkler System."

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options

Cultivate a soldier with high HP and low Will, give him a flamethrower, send him into the middle of the aliens.

"We call him Hell's Sprinkler System."

That's too long to be a soldier nickname. You may just have to call him, "Spitfire" :)

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Riddle me this fellows:

XCOM_EW_Art-noscale.jpg

On the image we have our fun MEC solider on point. Two what looks like gene enhanced soldiers on his flanks. But the wings are occupied by what looks like plain clothes soldiers/agents. Any ideas what they are?

KupotheAvenger on

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Sounds like cybernetics could be a means of maintaining the effectiveness of injury addled troopers. No more leaving the wounded to die because of gimped stats from getting downed.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Riddle me this fellows:

XCOM_EW_Art-noscale.jpg

On the image we have our fun MEC solider on point. Two what looks like gene enhanced soldiers on his flanks. But the wings are occupied by what looks like plain clothes soldiers/agents. Any ideas what they are?

Those are the rookies you send sprinting full speed to get the meld tanks before they explode.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I am going to cyber up every single soldier I have.

Better scorched earth than no earth, you alien bastards.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I am going to cyber up every single soldier I have.

Better scorched earth than no earth, you alien bastards.

I wonder if the upkeep on mec soldiers is pretty grotesque. Is it confirmed there isn't going to be new missions though?

• Options
    Jack.skJack.sk Registered User regular
    Loved Enemy Unknown, probably top 3 best games Ive ever purchased. Is Jake Solomon working on this at all? Duder had a passion for the game.

Hope they do something exciting with the geoscape, but what Ive seen has given me a ...mecha boner 8-)

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Riddle me this fellows:

XCOM_EW_Art-noscale.jpg

Those are the rookies you send sprinting full speed to get the meld tanks before they explode.

That doesn't look like regular kit though, they are sort of plain clothes. ... Maybe they are regular staff caught up in base defence.

• Options
    wilting wrote: »
    Riddle me this fellows:

XCOM_EW_Art-noscale.jpg

That doesn't look like regular kit though, they are sort of plain clothes. ... Maybe they are regular staff caught up in base defence.

I like this idea. Alternatively, there might be infiltration missions of some sort?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So these timed meld containers seem like they will be a bitch on ironman.
    I haven't really played enough of this to be authoritative, but it's sort of disappointing to me that their solution to "people are exploiting the stupid alien reveal system by inching forward so they don't trigger magical aliens" is "lol u gotta run forward scrub." Forcing me to trigger your shitty enemy group system if I want the orange magic genetic modification goop doesn't make me any less frustrated that the aliens hang around in packs waiting for the reveal to happen. I suppose now it all just comes down to luck, like, are any alien pockets within the sight range of the route you'll have to take to the Meld? If "yes," go get fucked. If "no," grab the Meld and then go back to playing ultra-cautiously.

Groups of aliens categorically do not trigger upon you seeing them. They become active when they see you.

Though, the game could do with aliens being a little more aggressive about inspecting sources of gunfire and whatnot (some already do this, but not all).

Garthor on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Riddle me this fellows:

XCOM_EW_Art-noscale.jpg

Due to the rising maintenance cost of cyber-soldiers, rookies will no longer be issued any armor whatsoever until their first promotion. It's the XCOM way.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    I haven't really played enough of this to be authoritative, but it's sort of disappointing to me that their solution to "people are exploiting the stupid alien reveal system by inching forward so they don't trigger magical aliens" is "lol u gotta run forward scrub." Forcing me to trigger your shitty enemy group system if I want the orange magic genetic modification goop doesn't make me any less frustrated that the aliens hang around in packs waiting for the reveal to happen. I suppose now it all just comes down to luck, like, are any alien pockets within the sight range of the route you'll have to take to the Meld? If "yes," go get fucked. If "no," grab the Meld and then go back to playing ultra-cautiously.

Groups of aliens categorically do not trigger upon you seeing them. They become active when they see you.

Though, the game could do with aliens being a little more aggressive about inspecting sources of gunfire and whatnot (some already do this, but not all).

Oh yeah, it's always fun when you run a dude from one spot to another and he passes through one tile that can see the aliens and they can't see him.

Suddenly you know exactly where to fire your next rocket. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh God, those unarmored suits could be the equivalent of the X-Com pajamas from the original.

Dun, dun, DUN!

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Riddle me this fellows:

XCOM_EW_Art-noscale.jpg

Due to the rising maintenance cost of cyber-soldiers, rookies will no longer be issued any armor whatsoever until their first promotion. It's the XCOM way.

I'm going to have to save-scum an impossible game so that I can unlock the option where the equipment of killed soldiers is lost.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Some unarmored looking people show up in that Adam Sessler interview thing, so they're not necessarily base defense soldiers. It might just be an alternate uniform or whatever. The people in the video seemed to be wearing sleeveless vests though which is different from those two flanking people on the poster.

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    They could just be psi-power dudes, but they're missing psi-auras emanating from their heads.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Ehhhhhhh. For 30 bucks, you'd expect a brand new campaign. Not just a lot more maps and alien enemies and tech to incorporate into the existing campaign.
    There does appear to be some sort of new conflict according to the trailer.

The emblem seems to possibly suggest human enemies of some sort since the aliens don't seem to care about branding their shit like we do.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular

"Emperor KupotheAvenger Protects."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Ehhhhhhh. For 30 bucks, you'd expect a brand new campaign. Not just a lot more maps and alien enemies and tech to incorporate into the existing campaign.

The emblem seems to possibly suggest human enemies of some sort since the aliens don't seem to care about branding their shit like we do.

Fairly sure those big emblems just mean "GENETICALLY ENGINEERED SUPER-SOLDIERS" and "MECHANICALLY ENGINEERED SUPER-SOLDIERS". They're not new enemies.

The little symbol in the trailer might indicate human enemies, though.

• Options
    I like those clothes on the soldiers with the pistols.

The less bulkier armor choices, the better. I don't care if my top guy gets torn to shreds by plasma fire, atleast he'll look damn good doing it and less like a giant metal turd.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

Fairly sure those big emblems just mean "GENETICALLY ENGINEERED SUPER-SOLDIERS" and "MECHANICALLY ENGINEERED SUPER-SOLDIERS". They're not new enemies.

The little symbol in the trailer might indicate human enemies, though.
    The little symbol and the title of the expansion indicate human enemies pretty clearly I think.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

Rookie grabs the meld container

Rookie dies

All your dudes are immune to panic thanks to genetech so they just laugh at the stupid rookie and proceed to mow down hordes of alien invaders

• Options
    SayuriUlianaSayuriUliana Registered User regular
    gifs:

nyxHDgc.gif
    zXIyWpn.gif

And my favorite simply because it's so hilarious:

IrPmPk2.gif

• Options
    That was the bravest lil sectoid in all the land.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    That was the bravest lil sectoid in all the land.

coincidentally, also the most stupid sectoid in all the land!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!