Options

Robocop: The animated series - a perfect example of awesome 80's action cartoons

2

Posts

  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    You are not a cultured individual, and I suggest that you hurry out and procure a copy this evening.

    Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I can't believe I never noticed for years that Spider-Man never punched anyone in the cartoon.

    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    confession: I have never seen robocop

    Your path to salvation lies on netflix.
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I can't believe I never noticed for years that Spider-Man never punched anyone in the cartoon.

    It was a bit more noticeable when Leonardo went from slicing everyone up in the first season of TMNT to never using his weapon again.

    TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    As a kid I knew the Toxic Avenger was a thing, but knew nothing about it beyond a toy my friend had.

    Somehow I convinced myself that the Toxic Avenger was a spinoff of the first Robocop film, and that the guy who is melted in the chemical waste at the end of the first movie becomes the Toxic Avenger and tries to make up for his evil misdeeds from the Robocop film. I can only assume this was some kind of bizarre coping mechanism from seeing a dude melt to death on screen at a young age.

  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    As a kid I knew the Toxic Avenger was a thing, but knew nothing about it beyond a toy my friend had.

    Somehow I convinced myself that the Toxic Avenger was a spinoff of the first Robocop film, and that the guy who is melted in the chemical waste at the end of the first movie becomes the Toxic Avenger and tries to make up for his evil misdeeds from the Robocop film. I can only assume this was some kind of bizarre coping mechanism from seeing a dude melt to death on screen at a young age.

    He doesn't melt to death
    he gets run over by Red Foreman and immediately explodes like a water balloon you dropped of a skyscraper

    why did I spoiler that? I dunno

  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Blocked all that out, apparently.

    Or I thought he could reform or something.

  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Huh, I didn't realize there was no facepunching in Spider-Man TAS either

    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    I can't believe I never noticed for years that Spider-Man never punched anyone in the cartoon.

    Is this the same way Batman in BTAS "never punched anyone" because the screen always flashed white during the frame when it would have shown his fist connecting?

  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    No, Spider-man TAS was more heavily restricted. Spidey really never punches anyone (except once, detailed below).

    Here's a snippet of the restrictions:
    * Not mentioning "Death", "Die", "Kill" or other words with a strong negative meaning. Death was to be avoided, leading Semper to skirt around the issue, killing characters off-panel or in unrealistic ways, and "destroy" and "destruction" were frequently employed as synonyms. For example:
    o Mary Jane and the Green Goblin fall through an interdimensional portal instead of falling to their deaths.
    o It is stated that the Punisher's family was "caught in a crossfire between rival gangs", and the same applied to the wife of the Destroyer.
    o At one point, when the Goblin returns after seemingly perishing, Spider-Man says, "You?! But I thought you were-" and the Goblin cuts him off with, "I'm not.. but you'll soon be!"

    * Many realistic guns were not allowed, and no firearms could shoot bullets, so instead they fired lasers complimented by 'futuristic' sound effects. This often led to preposterous scenes in which ordinary policemen wielded bizarre, futuristic pistols. However, in Episode 3.09, Robbie Robertson's son Randy finds a real-looking gun in his father's desk, though it is never fired on screen, and in Episode 56, when Keane Marlow is telling the story of how he lost his wife, the bank robbers are firing a pistol and a semi-automatic.

    * Spider-Man was not allowed to hit anyone with his fist, with the sole exception of Episode 39 (The Spot) in which he used his spider-sense to guide a punch through a dimension portal and knock out the Spot.

    * No crashing glass was allowed. However, in Episode 43, when Spider-Man and Doc Ock were battling in Felicia and Anastasia Hardy's home, Ock accidentally smashed a glass window with one of his tentacles.

    * No vampires were allowed on the show. This created complications with the use of the characters Morbius the living vampire and Blade the vampire hunter. Consequently, Morbius only drained victims through suckers on his hands, rather than by biting them in the traditional vampire style on the neck, and rather than blood, his sustenance was referred to only as "plasma." However, the word "blood" is used regularly.

    * Cletus Kasady a.k.a. Carnage was not a serial killer in the series, he was just a madman. Carnage never actually used his symbiotic blades to harm anyone, he was either stopped or dodged. He also absorbed people's energy rather than killing them outright. However, he has made a few references to attempts to murder. For instance, when Baron Mordo stated to him that he needed a few more life forces, Carnage said "Only a few? Too bad!". He also referred to his process of draining life force as "feeding".

    There were also some silly ones, like they weren't allowed to use the word "Sinister" so the Sinister Six becomes the Insidious Six...even though Mr. Sinister was a major villain in the X-men cartoon on the same channel.

    Two of the crazier ones (and favorites of the showrunner) were "Caution that when Spider-Man lands on the roof, he doesn't harm any pigeons" and "You may have a villain sent to jail, but you may NOT give him a bus ticket and send him to Florida."

    Granted, BtAS had some restrictions as well, but it wasn't as bad. Bruce Timm drew an image that broke all the rules at the same time as a joke and you should be able to find it with some googling (I'm at work so can't look for it since it has a naked Catwoman on it).

  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    I watched a lot of Spider-Man Saturday mornings
    When I watched it again about a year ago every episode looked like one of those "previously on" truncated expositions
    Except that was the entire show
    Everything was rushed and abrupt and you never saw the person talking actually moving they're lips

    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    C.O.P.S. is way better

    fighting crime... in a future time

    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    we'll solve any crime by dinner time

    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I somehow got a hold of a VHS the Toxic Avenger when I was insanely young. I loved the Toxic Crusaders cartoon and played the hell out of the game on sega. So I was stoked about a live action movie, thought it would be like TMNT or something. My mom found me outside hiding and absolutely terrified.

    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    No, Spider-man TAS was more heavily restricted. Spidey really never punches anyone (except once, detailed below).

    Here's a snippet of the restrictions:
    * Not mentioning "Death", "Die", "Kill" or other words with a strong negative meaning. Death was to be avoided, leading Semper to skirt around the issue, killing characters off-panel or in unrealistic ways, and "destroy" and "destruction" were frequently employed as synonyms. For example:
    o Mary Jane and the Green Goblin fall through an interdimensional portal instead of falling to their deaths.
    o It is stated that the Punisher's family was "caught in a crossfire between rival gangs", and the same applied to the wife of the Destroyer.
    o At one point, when the Goblin returns after seemingly perishing, Spider-Man says, "You?! But I thought you were-" and the Goblin cuts him off with, "I'm not.. but you'll soon be!"

    * Many realistic guns were not allowed, and no firearms could shoot bullets, so instead they fired lasers complimented by 'futuristic' sound effects. This often led to preposterous scenes in which ordinary policemen wielded bizarre, futuristic pistols. However, in Episode 3.09, Robbie Robertson's son Randy finds a real-looking gun in his father's desk, though it is never fired on screen, and in Episode 56, when Keane Marlow is telling the story of how he lost his wife, the bank robbers are firing a pistol and a semi-automatic.

    * Spider-Man was not allowed to hit anyone with his fist, with the sole exception of Episode 39 (The Spot) in which he used his spider-sense to guide a punch through a dimension portal and knock out the Spot.

    * No crashing glass was allowed. However, in Episode 43, when Spider-Man and Doc Ock were battling in Felicia and Anastasia Hardy's home, Ock accidentally smashed a glass window with one of his tentacles.

    * No vampires were allowed on the show. This created complications with the use of the characters Morbius the living vampire and Blade the vampire hunter. Consequently, Morbius only drained victims through suckers on his hands, rather than by biting them in the traditional vampire style on the neck, and rather than blood, his sustenance was referred to only as "plasma." However, the word "blood" is used regularly.

    * Cletus Kasady a.k.a. Carnage was not a serial killer in the series, he was just a madman. Carnage never actually used his symbiotic blades to harm anyone, he was either stopped or dodged. He also absorbed people's energy rather than killing them outright. However, he has made a few references to attempts to murder. For instance, when Baron Mordo stated to him that he needed a few more life forces, Carnage said "Only a few? Too bad!". He also referred to his process of draining life force as "feeding".

    There were also some silly ones, like they weren't allowed to use the word "Sinister" so the Sinister Six becomes the Insidious Six...even though Mr. Sinister was a major villain in the X-men cartoon on the same channel.

    Two of the crazier ones (and favorites of the showrunner) were "Caution that when Spider-Man lands on the roof, he doesn't harm any pigeons" and "You may have a villain sent to jail, but you may NOT give him a bus ticket and send him to Florida."

    Granted, BtAS had some restrictions as well, but it wasn't as bad. Bruce Timm drew an image that broke all the rules at the same time as a joke and you should be able to find it with some googling (I'm at work so can't look for it since it has a naked Catwoman on it).

    A bullet list of why BTAS was exponentially less shitty than every other superhero show. Except maybe Superman, because sometimes it had blood holy shit hardcore.

  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Nobody ever talks about bad episodes of batman

    like the one where poison ivy opened the spa that turned old people into trees

    or the one where batman gets turned into a cat person

    or that episode with count vertigo in it

    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Nobody ever talks about bad episodes of batman

    like the one where poison ivy opened the spa that turned old people into trees

    or the one where batman gets turned into a cat person

    or that episode with count vertigo in it

    man what, the one with alfred and his girlfriend was great, shuttup

    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    Nobody ever talks about bad episodes of batman

    like the one where poison ivy opened the spa that turned old people into trees

    or the one where batman gets turned into a cat person

    or that episode with count vertigo in it

    man what, the one with alfred and his girlfriend was great, shuttup

    sorry bro I disagree

    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    I liked the one where the introduce Talia

    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Nobody ever talks about bad episodes of batman

    like the one where poison ivy opened the spa that turned old people into trees

    or the one where batman gets turned into a cat person

    or that episode with count vertigo in it

    Any show that can take a c-list joke villain like Mr. Freeze and turn him into a character with pathos and depth gets a pass to occasionally make an episode where Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn brainwash Bruce Wayne into bankrolling a wacky Christmas shopping spree.

    Fugitive on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Not trying to argue that TAS isn't one of the best tv shows of all time

    just like to think about those rare missteps

    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    all of the show's flaws are cancelled out by The Clock King

  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i am bad at google, how do i find this breaking all the rules image?

  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    i am bad at google, how do i find this breaking all the rules image?
    google for "Batman: The Animated Series' top 9 censored taboos in one image"

    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    How about that one episode with the criminal ring of orphans led by that crazy dude who lived in the sewers

    or whatever

    THE UNDERDWELLERS

  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Yeah that was a bad episode

    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    wait could they not show glass breaking in cartoons for a while?

  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I've got Batman in my basement!

    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    i am bad at google, how do i find this breaking all the rules image?
    google for "Batman: The Animated Series' top 9 censored taboos in one image"

    That worked!

  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Wait, no guns?

    I've been watching a lot of TAS on the Hub since it shows it at midnight.

    There are a fuckton of guns everywhere.

    Bullock pulls out a fucking shotgun in one episode.

    And the effects of the joker toxin was pretty much worse than dying for a kid.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    the joker gas was curable though, and was often used in place of killing people.

  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Someone say awesome 80s cartoons

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN034sBeF4c

    COBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

    (Cobraaaaaaaaah!)

    Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Melding wrote: »
    the joker gas was curable though, and was often used in place of killing people.

    Yeah, they sometimes mention that it's curable.

    Sometimes.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    All of these cartoons you guys are mentioning do not hold up well, B:TAS and S:TAS excepted.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Joker killed his old boss The Wheezer with Joker Toxin in Mask of the Phantasm

    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Mask of the Phantasm has cursing a shitton of blood and actual people dying.

    Also it was a movie and don't count.

    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    And that laugh is why mark Hamill will always be my favorite Joker.

  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Wait, no guns?

    I've been watching a lot of TAS on the Hub since it shows it at midnight.

    There are a fuckton of guns everywhere.

    Bullock pulls out a fucking shotgun in one episode.

    And the effects of the joker toxin was pretty much worse than dying for a kid.

    I think in Batman TAS the rule was specifically against showing someone getting shot (notice in the "breaking the rules" image Batman has a comical gaping hole where the bullet hit him) as opposed to Spider-man TAS where they couldn't fire realistic guns at all.

  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    how in the fuck is Bruce Timm's book of naked ladies as expensive as Amazon is listing it

Sign In or Register to comment.