Options

Game Developers making movies.

• Options
    ScolbertScolbert Registered User regular
    Blur Studio is making The Goon, right? They should make all the vidogame movies.

the kickstarter for the story reel got funded

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Slow Hero strikes again

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I have a friend who thinks Warhammer 40k would make the best movie.

I'd just like to know how GW wouldn't fuck it up somehow.

It would have no chance regardless of quality

It's a niche property in a niche market, good luck getting the average joe interested in toy soldiers

now i have the GI Joe movie theme stuck in my head. thanks.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I think Scott Pilgrim is the best video game movie but I haven't seen Wreck It Ralph yet

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Wreck It Ralph is pretty great, I'd highly recommend it.

• Options
    I plan on it, when I get some time

still need to see Argo, and pretty soon the Hobbit and Django Unchained, probably

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I am super excited to see the Hobbit.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    my grandma was mad about Argo because they apparently ignore Canada's involvement.

and i was like "Grandma, it's an American movie. If it wasn't for Justin Bieber, americans would forget that Canada is even a place"

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I think Scott Pilgrim is the best video game movie but I haven't seen Wreck It Ralph yet

Must be a bad video game movie then since it's based on a comic.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i'm mad about argo because jack kirby wasnt even named in the movie

he didnt even need to be portrayed on screen, i dont demand that

just give him his fuckin' due there since he doesnt anywhere else

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

Must be a bad video game movie then since it's based on a comic.

I'm aware

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Argo is a good movie
    Wreck-it Ralph is a good movie
    Scott Pilgrim is a good movie
    The Hobbit and Django Unchained look like good movies

This has been Moviepinions With Misc

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    The Geek wrote: »
    Estimating at where they were at the end of my time there along with the average pace of growth that I saw, I would not be surprised if the sheer volume of cash they have right now is in the 10-figure range.

Billions of dollars in cash just sitting in investment funds? I know the hat-based economy has been a windfall for them, but they're a game development company, not Apple...

geek was in their accounting dept...if any one would know even a little about what kind of cash valve had laying around, it'd be him

And I'm not exaggerating. At all. I saw the cash balance literally on a daily basis.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Watching Final Fantasy: Spirits Within for the first time since I was twelve

For being a 2000s Square CGI experiment it's aged more gracefully than a lot of the shit they put out in the last eleven years.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Also, the character and mechanical designs in FF:SW are totally different and honestly better than anything in Tetsuya Nomura's portfolio, which has aesthetically defined Square since FFX.

Seriously why didn't they keep this concept design staff all the shit in this movie actually kinda looks cool, the aliens are unique, and the character designs and costumes aren't absurd

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    There were not NEARLY enough belts in Spirits Within

• Options
    Again, not Nomura's design or writing

Which is why it's not shit

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Estimating at where they were at the end of my time there along with the average pace of growth that I saw, I would not be surprised if the sheer volume of cash they have right now is in the 10-figure range.

Billions of dollars in cash just sitting in investment funds? I know the hat-based economy has been a windfall for them, but they're a game development company, not Apple...

Actually, no, Valve is basically a technology/platform company at this point.
    They occasionally make games, but by and large most of their development (and income) is from Steam.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    There were not NEARLY enough belts in Spirits Within

That's why they made Advent Children

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Again, not Nomura's design or writing

Which is why it's not shit

Squares number one priority is Japanese customers who lap up things like kingdom hearts designs.

So basically they don't care and expect more belts.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Oh and this movie has so many great terrible one liners from the comic relief guy/token black dude/not-Vasquez chick trio.

• Options
    neville wrote: »

They occasionally make games, but by and large most of their development (and income) is from Steam.

Yup.

Because Steam is so incredibly lucrative, it gives them the freedom to take their time on making games, make whatever they want, and even tinker around with experimental ideas that may not go anywhere at all.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    I enjoyed Spirits Within but it really had nothing about it that was recognizable as Final Fantasy other than a guy named Cid.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The Spirits Within, I actually enjoy it

But more importantly, it's an 11-year-old CG film and I still think it looks absolutely fantastic

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi3wV8ebogQ

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Spirits Within but it really had nothing about it that was recognizable as Final Fantasy other than a guy named Cid.

yeah, it's pretty obvious they used the final fantasy name because that's what square is/was well known for

But it also filled people's heads with expectations of something other than what it was. I think it would have been better off without the FF tag, but maybe it would have gathered less initial interest without it, I dunno.

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options

Yup.

Because Steam is so incredibly lucrative, it gives them the freedom to take their time on making games, make whatever they want, and even tinker around with experimental ideas that may not go anywhere at all.

The rationalizations people make up for why half life 2 episode three isn't out yet just keep getting sillier.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    what is the real reason

• Options
    Mercy

• Options
    Seriously wrote: »
    what is the real reason

Its never coming out Valve just won't officially can it. God knows why. At this point there's no way a 4 hour content pack would live up to expectations gestating for like what six years now?

• Options
    The Spirits Within, I actually enjoy it

But more importantly, it's an 11-year-old CG film and I still think it looks absolutely fantastic

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi3wV8ebogQ

That sure is a good demonstration of the Uncanny Valley.
    :-)

Yup.

Agreed. All the "big 3" have aspects that are great about what they do... and aspects that aren't.

If Blizzard and Valve ever teamed up... they could make something delightful. But, of course, they never will.

And sadly, managing their money is definitely not one of Blizzard's strong suits.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    That particular little thing is (it was just a production gag reel that's a bonus feature on the disc), but the actual film looks a lot better than that

Like, I don't really think it hits the Uncanny Valley at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOlZaCFBYw0

Maybe because it's stylized just enough to make it look not-creepy at Polar Express levels

• Options
    That particular little thing is (it was just a production gag reel that's a bonus feature on the disc), but the actual film looks a lot better than that

Maybe because it's stylized just enough to make it look not-creepy at Polar Express levels

My former professor who is a notable name in the AI field felt differently, as that was one of the clips he showed to illustrate it.
    so.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Good for your professor, I suppose?

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Ahh zombies!

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    End wrote: »

yeah, it's pretty obvious they used the final fantasy name because that's what square is/was well known for

But it also filled people's heads with expectations of something other than what it was. I think it would have been better off without the FF tag, but maybe it would have gathered less initial interest without it, I dunno.

it had bullshit animes spiritualism which is a core tenet of FF

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular

It's a niche property in a niche market, good luck getting the average joe interested in toy soldiers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultramarines:_A_Warhammer_40,000_Movie

This movie was made, and it is close to being the worst movie I have ever seen.
    It is fucking terrible.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular

My former professor who is a notable name in the AI field felt differently, as that was one of the clips he showed to illustrate it.
    so.
    the scene where the two leads kiss is seriously the most artificial plastic-looking thing
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNM7xJQiYlQ
    it's like a six-year-old making their barbie dolls kiss

• Options
    Binary SquidBinary Squid We all make choices Registered User regular

And considering all the crap in that setting you'd have to spend an entire movie just explaining why the giant men in space castles are fighting the other giant men in pointier space castles.

• Options
    The actual animation in Spirits Within is fine but the lighting and textures most definitely show their age. It's not unwatchable.