My name is Jack and I am one of the two persons behind "Running with Rifles".
The game is in beta (75% done) and is available on Desura for purchase for 8$ (see links at the bottom). You'll get every future updates
and the final product (+steam key) once it is available on steam after release. There is also a singleplayer demo based on version 0.67.
We hope you enjoy and see you on the battlefield!What is RUNNING WITH RIFLES?“Keep your head down SOLDIER – you’ll need it!”
Pick up your rifle and join the Green or Grey army in their mission to send the enemy home in a box! RWR is an open world,
top-down, tactical shooter for single player and multiplayer online, that puts you right in the middle of chaos in towns,
trenches and forests turned into ruthless battlefields, controlling just one soldier in an army of several hundreds.
In a war where men die like flies and endless streams of reinforcements run to fill the void, it takes tactics and marksmanship
to capture territories effectively. The open world nature of the game enables you to use a multitude of approaches to help the front
line move – it’s up to you to shape your role. Experience the complete arc starting as a private hardening into a high ranking officer
with a squad under command, arming yourself with a variety of weapons and vehicles on your way to glory!Key features, so far:
- 24/7 servers in Europe and USA supporting 30+ players
- 4x 1 km^2 maps with total of 35 bases
- 1x PvP (no AI) map with 7 bases
- hundreds of simultaneous AI soldiers
- open world: it’s up to you how you play, the war goes on without you
- not your usual “I’m the hero”-shooter: one bullet kills more often than not
- use cover, crouch and prone, move with others to increase your odds to stay alive
- day/night cycle which affects the vision and behaviour of the AI.
- emergent AI that tries hard: they too use cover and rooftops, attempt outflanking
- gain experience to get promotions to lead your own squad, unlock abilities
- variety of modern weapons, and thus, roles
- grenades, bazookas and mortar strikes
- vehicles: jeeps, armored trucks which can be used as mobile spawn point and APC’s
- vehicle driving and navigation AI either autonomously or after they receive a special order
- stats tracking and achievment systemFeatures in the development backlog:
- Linux and Mac ports
- new outfits
- new maps
- new vehicles (boats, tanks, engineer trucks, mobile radar vehicles...)
- optimize online implementation to support even more players
- engineer features: constructible/destructible walls, anti-tank mines...
- more modding possibilitiesscreenshotsLinksTrailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMnO4DrVSP0Gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U72mlP-QmrsSteam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104265955Demo download: http://www.modulaatio.com/runningwithrifles/?page_id=22Demo download mirror: http://www.desura.com/games/running-with-rifles/play/3156Website: http://www.runningwithrifles.netFacebook: http://www.facebook.com/runningwithriflesIndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/running-with-rifles
EDIT: I like it a lot! It reminds me of a top-down version of Soldat, in a way. Is there some way to change your loadout other than picking up someone else's gun? If not, that would be one of my suggestions. Even just giving someone a new random gun each time they spawn would be good.
you can break crates and there usually are weapons inside (and some grenades, LAW rockets...). Formerly you started with a random weapon after death but people prefered the way it is right now. For example you want to make some sniping action because you are on a tower and have a nice sight. You spent quite some time to find a sniper rifles (those aren't very common) and die right after the process and would need to look again for such a rifle, that might be annoying as dying in this game is for some guys something that happens every few seconds
At some point we may add some "weapon racks" in the map and the engineer truck will serve as mobile weapon rack as well.
PS: this saturday December 8. at 7pm UTC we'll have a multiplayer session if someone wanna join the battle.