As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat Clamp. Is this real?

azith28azith28 Registered User regular

Hi. I'm looking for an item that i would have sworn ive seen existed but asking at the petsmart and the vet produced nothing but 'never heard of it'.

If i want my kitten/cat to settle down I can hold the scuff of her neck and they get fairly limp and lets me try to apply medicine or something as needed. Anyway, what im looking for is something that can clamp onto that scruff and stay there without hurting them so i can do things like trim claws without assistance since i dont have 4 arms. I recall seeing some video online of a vet that had a tool that like, and I dont want to just go playing around with binder clips of some sort that could hurt the cat with too much pressure. Anyone seen this for sale anywhere online?

Thanks

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My understanding is that this only really works with kittens under a certain age, and then needs to be done with some care. I have never seen anyone, vet or otherwise, successfully do this to a fully-grown cat. The oldest I've ever seen it work was at about 4 months, when my older cat was a kitten and had her spay stitch taken out. And then she didn't go limp or anything, she was only cooperative long enough to be turned over. When we brought our cats in to their new vet, she had a tech hold them for shots and pilling was done via kitty-burrito.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    It will still immobilize them, but to a lesser extent. And only if the cat trusts you a shit ton.

For obvious reasons, don't pick them up by the scruff.

Kitty burrito is still the best method for trimming and pills. 1 paw is better than 4 thrashing wildly with the intent to maim you.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, on the rare occasion I have seen an adult successfully scruffed it was done very quickly with the intent to hold down rather than pick up, and it still required a hand and was done by a tech so the vet could do her thing. And my older cat was simply not having it, she had to be picked up and restrained by a tech. I have my doubts that this could be achieved safely by one clamp that won't hurt the cat, because if it could.. well.. clamps are cheaper than techs.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    humm. describe how you go about kitty burrito. (Its not a hard idea to grasp, i just want your method).

Wrap up in a blanket, with cat in the middle, whilst keeping the appendage out you wish to trim, or none if you want pills/medicine.

Tuck it too. Keep the burrito between your legs and squeeze firmly, but not super tight, to keep the kitty secure and not able to really move.

Though that's the super nuclear kitty burrito.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • OrmussOrmuss Registered User regular
    I can attest to the effectiveness of kitty burrito, at the very least for getting my cat to take pills. She's a feisty one, and I had little hope of it working, but there's not much she can do versus this technique. The 'super nuclear kitty burrito' is my default version of it, haha.

I haven't tried trimming her nails like that yet, but it seems quite likely to work for that too. Make sure to use a LARGE towel or blanket, as the more wrapped you can get them the better (without getting too tight, as bowen cautioned).

• EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    You can scruff an adult cat, but in general it's based on the weight of the cat. I have two cats, one weighs 10lbs and the other weighs 11, and I can scruff them and lift them and they don't care. Cats that weigh more, though, may be hurt if you lift them only by scruffing, in which case it's best to support them by the hindquarters while you scruff them.

Anyway, scruffing is more than just grabbing the skin -- it's also the act of pulling that skin back. That's what makes them go limp, and to do that you'd need an extra arm. Scruffing also isn't as easy as just "grab on," either, and it does take some practice -- which is all the more reason to support them by the butt if you're not sure what you're doing. Scruffing is not really useful for making them hold still, unfortunately, as when they're scruffed they expect to be moved somewhere and then let go (which is exactly what the mama cat uses it for). As mentioned above, it is not for long-term things and is really just a quick solution.

For long-term things that are unique, like giving medication or shots, I also strongly recommend the burrito method. Scruff them to make them go a little limp while you put them on a long towel, and then wrap them up. Depending on how much your cat likes you, you can either roll the cat or wrap the towel, but it should be somewhat snug so the cat can't get out.

If this is just for claw trimming purposes, I suggest playing with your cat's paws to get them used to you doing the action. Sit near them or have them on your lap and play with their paws, pushing the claws out, and make the cat comfortable with you doing that action. Then get out the clippers, and start with the tips. If your cat doesn't like it, try just doing half a paw at a time, and you can use the "play" time to see which claws are particularly sharp (and then go for those first!).

In general, most cat gadgets don't really work, or will only work for some cats. The method I mention above worked well for me, and now my cats (which are not generally lap cats) will sit still on my lap and purr gently while I trim their claws.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    We've always used the "kitty burrito" technique at our place, but I've never used the term "kitty burrito". Thank you, H+A, for giving me this delightful term. :D

And I can vouch that it works on our cats. Although one of our cats LOVES health care and medicine, for some reason, so he doesn't need to be burrito'ed.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    We've always used the "kitty burrito" technique at our place, but I've never used the term "kitty burrito". Thank you, H+A, for giving me this delightful term. :D

And I can vouch that it works on our cats. Although one of our cats LOVES health care and medicine, for some reason, so he doesn't need to be burrito'ed.

Somebody, somewhere is reading this and shaking their head about your cat being a product of Obamacare, and that a more patriotic cat would walk it off.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Somebody, somewhere is reading this and shaking their head about your cat being a product of Obamacare, and that a more patriotic cat would walk it off.
    That would be my other cat. :D She's an older cat who doesn't like free health care for cats (or any health care for cats, for that matter) and fears change. I swear she is the only Republican in our house. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well i have 2 kittens about 6 months, one is very much a lap cat and clipping her nails is doable depending on her level of unconciousness.

The other one is a bit skittish. She doesnt mind being petted and rarely will suddenly want attention, and get in my lap to sleep, but for the most part she doesnt like to be picked up, preferring to get attention on her own terms. This is the one who i have not yet clipped her claws and shes decided that waking me up to be fed involves clawing my mattress until i get up instead of more acceptable 'i shall wake you up by purring loudly in your ear' methods. it hasnt been a problem because shes apparently much more careful about exposing the claws then any cat ive seen. my other one will jump on my lap but her claws are always extended a little when she does, so i have little cuts all over my legs, but the skittish one if she walks or jumps on you you dont feel a thing.

I will have to attempt the burreto with her.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I've never had to kitty burrito, thankfully. My cats know to sit still when they get a nail trim. They get love and treats too so they look forward to it.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Well i have 2 kittens about 6 months, one is very much a lap cat and clipping her nails is doable depending on her level of unconciousness.

The other one is a bit skittish. She doesnt mind being petted and rarely will suddenly want attention, and get in my lap to sleep, but for the most part she doesnt like to be picked up, preferring to get attention on her own terms. This is the one who i have not yet clipped her claws and shes decided that waking me up to be fed involves clawing my mattress until i get up instead of more acceptable 'i shall wake you up by purring loudly in your ear' methods. it hasnt been a problem because shes apparently much more careful about exposing the claws then any cat ive seen. my other one will jump on my lap but her claws are always extended a little when she does, so i have little cuts all over my legs, but the skittish one if she walks or jumps on you you dont feel a thing.

I will have to attempt the burreto with her.

the best thing you can do that will make your life 100 times easier later is to play with her feet and practice extending their claws now. it only takes a gentle push. getting them used to you handling their feet makes them more comfortable with you touching their feet which means less stress for nail cuts.

camo_sig.png
  • MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I've seen people just use these:
    1639424-a-black-metal-paper-clip-on-a-white-background.jpg

Myiagros on
    iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
    Also doubles as a good chip clip and you get 200 of them for $2.

• MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Those things are super tight and hurt like hell just placing them on the meat of my hand or forearm.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Yeah... don't use those.

Are you the magic man?
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    Those things are super tight and hurt like hell just placing them on the meat of my hand or forearm.

Grabbing scruff is vastly different than grabbing the meat of your arm.

• CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    Binder clips are incredibly tight, far too much pressure for scruffing.

Just use the Purrito method. Or the tummy rubs as a distraction method.

*Internally Screaming*
    My cat attacks me with tummy rubs.

I may be partially to blame having eaten/raspberry her tummy when she misbehaved as a kitten.

But this seems standard fare for cats, super nuclear kitty burrito works !

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I use the "kitty burrito" for my 45lb dog as well...it's very handy for a lot of pet things.

e: I also do something similar with my birds, though obviously with a different technique. You wrap them up and then hold the back of their neck with your ring and index fingers, in a V pattern. It immobilizes them and lets you stick a single leg out for clipping.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • VK74VK74 Registered User new member
    Kitty clamp is real, my vet in San Diego used it on my Cat to cut her toe nails and it was amazing. I haven't been able to find it anywhere tho leading me to believe that you may have to be an animal care professional to purchase one. But it is real I have seen it with my own eyes unbelievable and causes no pain to kitty. Wish I had one Cuz my new cat is a holy terror when it comes to nail clipping. Still looking for one tho.

This discussion has been closed.