As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Airing Of Grievances In Public Conversation Form (Potentially NSFW or NSF56K)

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    this is me showing restraint when New X-Men is brought up

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    DorkTower1118a.gif

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Needs a panel of him bitching on the internet.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    those damn fake geek girls

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    MetalMagus wrote: »
    Needs a panel of him bitching on the internet.
    Exactly.

The problem with this comic is that one of these assholes would NEVER in a million years confront or mock them in their physical presence (unless it's a Batwoman cosplayer and the critic is Dan DiDio). They'd talk shit behind the girls' backs, of course.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Oh, THAT'S it. Replace the current last panel with the guy leering at the girl and drooling while taking her picture. Then in the last dual panels she's putting her stuff away, and he's writing his blistering screed on some forum.

MetalMagus on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I gave Deadpool NOW three issues to capture my heart. That's pretty fair, right? It's amusing, I guess, but they fell for the trap of having Deadpool be a gag-a-panel dispenser with no actual personality of his own. They could replace Deadpool with basically any other stand-in and the book would remain the same in all ways. That's really too bad, because I was looking forward to reading a good Deadpool book. "Cable and Deadpool" was the first ongoing I actively bought, and Deadpool in general is probably the main reason I'm into comics in the first place. So, I'm a little bummed out by that. I think I'm gonna stop buying the series for now, and see what folks have to say about it in a few months.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Oh, THAT'S it. Replace the current last panel with the guy leering at the girl and drooling while taking her picture. Then in the last dual panels she's putting her stuff away, and he's writing his blistering screed on some forum.

Perfect.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Apparently a former cosplayer who follows me disagrees with my assertion. This makes me hate everything and everyone.

We're the ones who obsess over social groupings and strata. Most people don't think about it, let alone start assigning people to certain groups and classifications. That's a list-making temperament most people simply do not have. And geeks have never been known for their hesitation to shame or attack others over the slightest things. So why does this shit get a pass?

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Which assertion? That the people who spout that nonsense about geeky girls would never have the courage to confront them in person?

• Options
    Yes.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So , I'm always the optimist , ( usually) , I can always find something to like in even the most terrible ( heck, I will freely admit to enjoying the odd part of the Xmen run we aren't allowed to mention!)

But, man, I shoulda listened this time, I really regret owning Thunderbolts #1

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I gave Deadpool NOW three issues to capture my heart. That's pretty fair, right? It's amusing, I guess, but they fell for the trap of having Deadpool be a gag-a-panel dispenser with no actual personality of his own. They could replace Deadpool with basically any other stand-in and the book would remain the same in all ways. That's really too bad, because I was looking forward to reading a good Deadpool book. "Cable and Deadpool" was the first ongoing I actively bought, and Deadpool in general is probably the main reason I'm into comics in the first place. So, I'm a little bummed out by that. I think I'm gonna stop buying the series for now, and see what folks have to say about it in a few months.

I like how they've used him so far. They decided to focus on how absurd the situation is. So when Wade does say blow up an elephant it doesn't come across as horrifying and you sorta get why only he can deal with the situation.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I thought they said there'd be more character work after the first arc but I don't remember where or when I heard that.

For some reason I have no desire to read that book though even though I liked the idea of it

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    It's a fun, absurd book. I've enjoyed it so far.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    That reminds me. This was an add in my Batman book.

[img][/img]49f549add47d756af4c166a4f9394166-the-six-supervillains-of-nerd-culture.jpg

Not. Amused.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    burn everything

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    It's College Humor. What did you expect?

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Damn it, internet.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, DP seems like a goofy, fun book but it's not what I want out of the character.

Also, I'm once again going to bitch about Simone's awesome run still not being collected.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I think the current Deadpool writers would do better on a Team-Up style book. That breezy humor would be fine for single issues, but when you're doing multi-issue arcs you need a bit more from your characters.

• Options
    I think the current Deadpool writers would do better on a Team-Up style book. That breezy humor would be fine for single issues, but when you're doing multi-issue arcs you need a bit more from your characters.

They've said they intend to do the team up thing playing on the fact that nobody really wants to be seen with Wade.

• Options
    It's College Humor. What did you expect?

For it not to be in the back of a comic book.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    yeah, put yourself in the head of a female just getting in to comics and coming across that

it's stupid and excluding and DC editorial are idiots for printing ads that are basically mocking part of their readership

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    DC making stupid decisions regarding female fans?

well I never

• Options
    I'd like to tell you that ad is ironic in nature and not serious.

I wish I could tell you that- but the parties involved are pieces of shit.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I wish I could tell you that Andy fought the good fight, and that the Sisters let him be.

My favorite part is the continued bogeymanification of Big Bang Theory.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I'd like to tell you that ad is ironic in nature and not serious.

I wish I could tell you that- but the parties involved are pieces of shit.

Satire only works if it's different enough from the things people are saying in earnest to be identified as satire. Even if I were inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt and consider that this could be meant as a joke, it would be a failed joke.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Yeah, DP seems like a goofy, fun book but it's not what I want out of the character.

Also, I'm once again going to bitch about Simone's awesome run still not being collected.

I've bitched about this a couple of times, but here I go again- I really don't get why Marvel hasn't collected her run. It never was collected originally, and back when they were doing the 'Classic' TPB, they stopped almost just before it. The new previews shows they picked up the TPBS again, so if they continue, they're going to have to get to her run on Vol. 9, which would come out around March or April. But that's what I was thinking would happen before.

I thought that the newsarama DP review nailed why I'm not enjoying the current run
    What's worse than beating a dead horse? In the case of Deadpool, beating a dead president.

Now in its third issue, the joke has worn thin, with the endless violence not being half the hook that Brian Poehsn and Gerry Duggan think it is. As Deadpool teams up with Doctor Strange to wage war against a horde of zombie presidents, nothing about this story screams Deadpool. It's simply punch after punch, tired joke after tired joke. (Except for Doctor Strange saying "Illusion, Michael! Tricks are for prostitutes." I'll admit, you got me with the Arrested Development line, Brian and Gerry. But that says something about the level of humor here.)

The real problem behind this comic is that Poeshn and Duggan don't write visually, they write verbally, essentially leaving artist Tony Moore in something of a hostage situation. Moore has a lot going for him, particularly his sleek, cartoony character designs. But it's all wasted on caricatured presidents and plotting that's way too light.

There's no direction here under all these verbose panels, so Moore's got to sort of make up the staging as he goes along — and that feels about as deliberate as it sounds. The few out-and-out action beats (that don't include punching or stabbing) still feel frustratingly vague, with the exception of one splash page that makes Strange more of a focus than Wade himself. Combine it with some garish blues, purples and greens from Val Staples, and the art is at war with itself.

When your guest stars feel more at home with the plot than your main character (and is essentially giving your hero the actual tools they need to succeed), I'd argue something has gone wrong with your story. Deadpool could have been a wicked funny grindhouse sort of story, but instead it's a sort of tired Bugs Bunny-meets-zombies kick. The jokes don't make you laugh, the action doesn't make you gasp, the character doesn't make you care. This one might be too much for even the Regeneratin' Degenerate to come back from.

I'm not the biggest C&D fan, but at least that run showed that DP was more than just a buffoon and tried to insert some mythos to the character.

• Options
  • Options
    That reminds me. This was an add in my Batman book.

[img][/img]49f549add47d756af4c166a4f9394166-the-six-supervillains-of-nerd-culture.jpg

Not. Amused.

Really? Holy fuck, how deaf can a company be?

I'm going to tweet that to Simone, though not expecting a response.

• Options

Hey, you know what, I think that's pretty spot-on.

In a book that focuses on Wade and Wade only, I expect to see more character work. I don't think there's a single line in those issues uttered by Deadpool that wouldn't also sound fine coming out of any other "goofy" character. He doesn't have a distinct voice, you know? I miss seeing that, because the first Deadpool ongoing and Cable & Deadpool did such an amazing job balancing humor (even slapstick, at times) with character development.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    I wonder if Simone ever gets tired of having to be the one defending/voice of reason in twitter. Maybe she's all "I just want to tweet what I had for lunch today'"

• Options
    edited December 2012

See, I read that a few days ago and I actually found it funny - BUT I read it as being from the perspective of a paranoid and persecuted fan-boy. Like, this is how the character in that Dork Tower comic strip sees the world.

Maybe it's because I just read too many game forums, but the notion that game companies are catering to the "bros" and are ruining real games, that developers and publishers are being overly sensitive to "feminist" needs (when women aren't real gamers anyways), that anyone who likes anime and jrpgs is a love-pillow fucking weeaboo - these are real beliefs that get posted in what I assume to be earnest concern every god-damn day.

The caricature isn't the villains, it's how the nerds see the "villains." Though, maybe I'm giving College Humor too much credit because of how much I enjoyed their Street Fighter reunion series.

MetalMagus on
  • Options

See, I read that a few days ago and I actually found it funny - BUT I read it as being from the perspective of a paranoid and persecuted fan-boy. Like, this is how the character in that Dork Tower comic strip sees the world.

Maybe it's because I just read too many game forums, but the notion that game companies are catering to the "bros" and are ruining real games, that developers and publishers are being overly sensitive to "feminist" needs (when women aren't real gamers anyways), that anyone who likes anime and jrpgs is a love-pillow fucking weeaboo - these are real beliefs that get posted in what I assume to be earnest concern every god-damn day.

The caricature isn't the villains, it's how the nerds see the "villains." Though, maybe I'm giving College Humor too much credit because of how much I enjoyed their Street Fighter reunion series.

This might have been funnier and more effective if we hadn't recently had a prominent comics creator come out and say basically the same thing as the "Imposter" comic and actually mean it. If you're going to poke fun at the "nerds" responsible for saying this ridiculous shit, you actually need to be over the top enough to make it clear that you're mocking them, otherwise it just looks like you're agreeing with them, and this is where CH failed miserably.

• Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    This may start something, but I can't stand anything about Gail Simone.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I think Simone is great, a good, well-meaning person who's written some funny and well written stuff. There's also stuff she's written that I think is bad, so there is that.

• Options
    Can you explain? I'm genuinely curious what would be offputting about her.

• Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Well, what really sets me off about her was that newsarama interview where she basically just talked at the the handicapped interviewer who was clearly distressed about babs walking again. It felt like she didn't care about the people that lost a one of the only characters that represented them in comics, that showed them that they are just as important as able bodied people. All while she preaches about diversity, it just comes off as phony. To top that off, batgirl has been really crappy, so in the end everything sucks.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    well, she admitted that the lack of disabled characters in comics is the fault of creators on her tumblr at least
    she included herself

Antimatter on
This discussion has been closed.