As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Airing Of Grievances In Public Conversation Form (Potentially NSFW or NSF56K)

• Options
    JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    The blatant "I'm going to sell these for a ton of money" people never cease to amaze me. I've seen more than a few creators refuse to sign more than two of the same thing and I don't blame them.

And yeah, enthusiasm from behind the table can be tough, especially after a few days. Still, such a large part of going to a convention as a creator is interacting with fans, that it's strange to me when creators avoid that. Even the busiest guys can usually spare a moment to say hello.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Well, It's A Business, and there's the money and everything, but, the very idea of signing my name all day long, even for money and whatever, is kind of a weird, terrifying thing. My head swirls with the spectre of repetitive motion injuries to my wrist, and watching as my signature becomes increasingly worn down into a wobbly, horizontal drag across a page that keeps getting replaced with a fresh blank one.

I remember Warren Ellis telling people not to take it personally that he won't shake hands, due to his signing hand becoming little more than a numbed out socket puppet from signing stuff all day.

Just how it is, I guess.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Those people suck so much.

I rarely get stuff signed. I hate carrying swag or other merchandise with me, but I usually just go up to say hi and shake their hand if they're so inclined (why most don't wear gloves at this point is beyond me. I mean, it's not that hard to understand as a fan why they would).

Not acknowledging a fan is a dick move no matter who it is though.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I only own two signed comics

one was a gift and the other I got from Greg Pak in the mail for donating to tsunami relief. he's a rad guy.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Yeah, he drew a Doctor Strange sketch in my copy of Doctor Strange: Season One and we chatted about X-Treme X-Men a bit. He is indeed a rad guy.

• Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    George Perez is at my local convention every few years, but it's never a regular, every-other-year kind of thing. One of the last times, I took my copies of JLA/Avengers and his versions of all the Infinite Crisis covers to sign. I felt bad to have so many (even though I saw plenty of guys with carts of two or three short boxes minimum), and told him so. He basically acknowledged it as a hazard of doing conventions and chatted for the minute or two it took him to sign everything. Incredibly nice guy, and that was on top of the mountain of commissions he was doing as a fund-raiser. I guess dealing with people and lines for three days straight is a skill you have to develop, or at least build up a tolerance for.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    See, I can see when you have multiple different titles, that's more of an , well that's a big fan , so it's not as numbing.

It's more the people bringing 50 copies of the current issue on the stands... that warrant a punch in the dangly bits

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Has there ever been a superhero divorce? I don't think anyone would really want to delve into the protracted drama of a separation like that. It's more likely that they'd get one character out of a marriage by killing his or her spouse, or maybe one of them becomes evil like Quicksilver. I can't imagine a comic about Superman going to a divorce attorney, though.

The divorce of the Atom and Jean Loring led to one of the best runs of comics of our times.

Oh wait, the resulting comic was something of an argument against ever allowing a superhero to divorce (although I kind of enjoyed it).

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Wait I really hope you aren't saying Identity Crisis is one of the best comics ever

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I think the only thing I have signed is an Elfquest graphic novel

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Wait I really hope you aren't saying Identity Crisis is one of the best comics ever

No one says that.

He said the original divorce story.

• Options

No one says that.

No, he said their divorce led to a great run, and Identity Crisis, despite being garbage, was caused by their divorce

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure my interpretation is correct.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular

No one says that.

No, he said their divorce led to a great run, and Identity Crisis, despite being garbage, was caused by their divorce

Nah, blank has it right. I was joking that IC was "great" (and then the second sentence was supposed to clarify that IC was actually so bad that it was a good argument against ever allowing divorce in comics.).

I did enjoy IC somewhat though.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    New Two Face origin story: it's not bad, but just feels kinda rushed/uninspired.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    New Two Face origin story: it's not bad, but just feels kinda rushed/uninspired.

I think that's because it was presented more as the origin of the new villain, and a way to legitimize her as a threat, than as Harvey Dent's origin.

• Options

I think that's because it was presented more as the origin of the new villain, and a way to legitimize her as a threat, than as Harvey Dent's origin.

I suppose, it just fell flat the way it was presented.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Bitching thread

I think the whole time travel original x men thing happening in the x books is super stupid

I also find it impossible to ignore the sliding time scale when they do this and the teenaged x-men from the 60s interact with their 20s-30s year old selves in 2013.

Can this dumb arc be over already

That is my complaint for today

• Options
    They never say the kids are from the 60s in ANXM though?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    In Marvel books the past is simply some kind of Wes Anderson creation.

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    Bitching thread

I think the whole time travel original x men thing happening in the x books is super stupid

I also find it impossible to ignore the sliding time scale when they do this and the teenaged x-men from the 60s interact with their 20s-30s year old selves in 2013.

I've avoided the young X's stories until it spilled into my WatX, it's not awful but I'm still just waiting for it to be over. Plenty of good characters that could use more panel time.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Bitching thread

I've avoided the young X's stories until it spilled into my WatX, it's not awful but I'm still just waiting for it to be over. Plenty of good characters that could use more panel time.

If the latest issue of Battle of the Atom is any indication, you'll be waiting for awhile.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    So, Brandon Graham disclosed in this podcast that DC approached him to do a Superman comic, which he turned down.

Now I'm mad I won't get to read that comic, even if I respect his decision not to work for DC.

• Options
    Munch wrote: »
    So, Brandon Graham disclosed in this podcast that DC approached him to do a Superman comic, which he turned down.

Now I'm mad I won't get to read that comic, even if I respect his decision not to work for DC.

@Munch...you realize you still probably wouldn't be reading Brandon Graham's Superman even if he had accepted DC's invitation, right?

It's a remarkable day when someone can turn down an opportunity to work on Superman. But given the strong likelihood of Graham getting his intentions mangled in the machinations of working for DC in today's world, it's really not terribly surprising.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Bitching thread

They'd be dumb to stop because it's proved to be fucking genius so far.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Bitching thread

They'd be dumb to stop because it's proved to be fucking genius so far.

We will settle this in the Old Way- SNES Super Street Fighter.

First to three has the correct opinion.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    http://kellysue.tumblr.com/post/65079577062/the-only-statement-i-will-make-on-the-matter

KSD post about the dipshit retailer ripping up her book and his idiot customer's "review."
    THIS is the story: You know what we thought this book would do? 9-12K. A couple of our more experienced friends at Image said that they thought it might do as well as 20K — we guffawed. When I saw the initial orders I was in Brisbane — Fraction will tell you, I got light-headed. My hearing went out. As of right now, we have we have blown through our print run of 57K and are going to a second printing.

My team got ONE WHOLE DAY to feel good about defying expectations before what should have been a non-event became the ubiquitous headline.

Goddamn it. This is why we can't have nice things.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    http://kellysue.tumblr.com/post/65079577062/the-only-statement-i-will-make-on-the-matter

KSD post about the dipshit retailer ripping up her book and his idiot customer's "review."
    THIS is the story: You know what we thought this book would do? 9-12K. A couple of our more experienced friends at Image said that they thought it might do as well as 20K — we guffawed. When I saw the initial orders I was in Brisbane — Fraction will tell you, I got light-headed. My hearing went out. As of right now, we have we have blown through our print run of 57K and are going to a second printing.

My team got ONE WHOLE DAY to feel good about defying expectations before what should have been a non-event became the ubiquitous headline.

Because a company threw a hissy fit when someone threw criticism at its darling?

• Options
    If by "criticism", you mean "literally destroyed their product in front of customers and told them not to buy it",

and by "hissy fit" you mean "made one Twitter update about other stores in the area where people could buy their product"

then sure, that's exactly what happened

• Options
    edited October 2013
    noir_blood wrote: »

Because a company threw a hissy fit when someone threw criticism at its darling?

Are you being purposefully obtuse? Because everyone is talking about those two assholes and not the actual book.

"My team got ONE WHOLE DAY to feel good about defying expectations before what should have been a non-event became the ubiquitous headline."

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    I was unsurprised to discover the critic involved is Hannibal Tabu, the Official Second Worst Comic Book Reviewer in the Known Universe.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I was unsurprised to discover the critic involved is Hannibal Tabu, the Official Second Worst Comic Book Reviewer in the Known Universe.

Do I even want to know who is the worst?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    in somewhat similar news (haven't been paying attention to the PD thing, really), Brandon Graham is pulling a no true Scotsman on feminism and comics, pissing on Brian Wood while also taking a swipe at artists in general and their roles in comics. That's really pushing it, might as well just swing for the fences and call out Rucka too. Or Louise Simonson just for giggles.

Creators, just....just make the damn comics, ok?

• Options
    Yeah, I saw him take that swipe at Brian Wood on Twitter, and I was just like... Really, bro? Really?

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Does the name "Ray Tate" mean anything to you?
    TexiKen wrote: »
    in somewhat similar news (haven't been paying attention to the PD thing, really), Brandon Graham is pulling a no true Scotsman on feminism and comics, pissing on Brian Wood while also taking a swipe at artists in general and their roles in comics. That's really pushing it, might as well just swing for the fences and call out Rucka too. Or Louise Simonson just for giggles.

My favourite part there? When someone asks Brandon why there have been no female artists on Prophet, he goes on about how they wouldn't fit because it's based on, y'know, a boys comic macho pulp hero thing. As someone points out on the BC forum, Brian Wood had female artists on Conan.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Aw, man. That Brandon Graham thing just disappoints the hell out of me.

EDIT:

Actually. I think it might be best to walk off this one. This Twitter feed thing is...well, I'm less convinced it is what it's being described as. There's a fucking WORLD of difference between "Women can't draw a macho hero pulp thing for boys," to what he actually said, which was:

Prophet is specifically a teenage boy conan power fantasy style book so initially I looked for artists who did work like that.

Now, if you want to damn him for not having a female artist in the main story thus far (he does mention female artists doing some work in the backup material for Prophet) that seems off to me. I would think if someone has some criticisms about the industry and the gender gap, they can make those criticisms without at the same time having some kind of satisfactory backlog of collaboration. I mean, don't get me wrong, that would certainly help, but I think it's an unsettling precedent for people to have some kind of resume of deeds before they can express an opinion about the business they're in.

It's a convoluted discussion about Brian Wood, feminism, and the comic industry on Twitter, for crying out loud. People showing up, saying one thing, then disappearing again. Traded snippets, offhand references to other things not fully outlined, to say nothing of it being reported on Bleeding Cool, where everything has to bleed.

None of this is particularly damning, and you guys had me on like Graham was going all Frank Miller on somebody.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Does the name "Ray Tate" mean anything to you?
    TexiKen wrote: »

My favourite part there? When someone asks Brandon why there have been no female artists on Prophet, he goes on about how they wouldn't fit because it's based on, y'know, a boys comic macho pulp hero thing. As someone points out on the BC forum, Brian Wood had female artists on Conan.[/i]

I hope someone points this out to him on twitter just so he's forced to respond.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Aw, man. That Brandon Graham thing just disappoints the hell out of me.

EDIT:

Actually. I think it might be best to walk off this one. This Twitter feed thing is...well, I'm less convinced it is what it's being described as. There's a fucking WORLD of difference between "Women can't draw a macho hero pulp thing for boys," to what he actually said, which was:

Prophet is specifically a teenage boy conan power fantasy style book so initially I looked for artists who did work like that.

Now, if you want to damn him for not having a female artist in the main story thus far (he does mention female artists doing some work in the backup material for Prophet) that seems off to me. I would think if someone has some criticisms about the industry and the gender gap, they can make those criticisms without at the same time having some kind of satisfactory backlog of collaboration. I mean, don't get me wrong, that would certainly help, but I think it's an unsettling precedent for people to have some kind of resume of deeds before they can express an opinion about the business they're in.

It's a convoluted discussion about Brian Wood, feminism, and the comic industry on Twitter, for crying out loud. People showing up, saying one thing, then disappearing again. Traded snippets, offhand references to other things not fully outlined, to say nothing of it being reported on Bleeding Cool, where everything has to bleed.

None of this is particularly damning, and you guys had me on like Graham was going all Frank Miller on somebody.

That can be walked off, about women working on writing or drawing his books.

What I don't like is his attack on Wood for being not feminist enough (which is a term that really seems to be thrown around out of place these days) when the man clearly has a history of both working with female creators and writing good female characters. I'm roughly 50/50 on actually liking his work (he thinks he's smarter with his politics/soapbox than he actually is on page) but for Graham to say he's a poser is just......what? And there's enough there to show that it wasn't something misunderstood in a twitter response.

Plus him dismissing the role of female artists (on creator owned stuff artists are just as important as writers, Greg Land on Saga would not be selling as it is) and now moving the goal posts to female writers is just wanting to argue like he's on some cable news channel. When you start saying someone who's done a decent job in spreading out the diversity of comics isn't doing enough or is doing so in a fake way without any discernible evidence, you're being a jerk.

• Options
    Those are some good points, Tex. I don't know Brian Wood from Adam, but it is sort of brazen to call Wood out on how feministy he may or may not be.

I miss the old days when someone in comics industry would write a grown-ass essay about their opinion on things, rather than do an R. Kelly twitter riff, especially if they're trying to discuss something that might be important to them and certainly is an issue that a lot of other people also care about. As it is, we're basically reading chicken entrails on this, squinting at riddles. Hell, I already wrote more about this than Graham himself did, and what does that really say?

I took Graham's remarks more having to do with writers being considered higher on the totem pole than artists in general, not just a gender thing. I tend to agree with him, in that writers do have a higher profile, call more of the shots, and tend to command more influence than their graphical co-workers. Which kind of sucks, for artists. I mean, let's be honest. Comics are not a business of imminent wealth, even less so if you're doing the drawing. It's simply more feasible for a writer to have a lot of different project bubbling with lots of different artists for this and that, and I just don't see how that will be changing anytime soon. There's room to argue which job is easier at the end of the day, but if you're a writer and I'm an artist, I know which one of us is going to be doing more revisions before the work is completed.

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    There's an incredibly good back-up by Emma Rios in the Prophet trade. I think people are over reacting...

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
This discussion has been closed.