As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Airing Of Grievances In Public Conversation Form (Potentially NSFW or NSF56K)

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I know it's always changing, but...how many writers does DC employ? 30? 50? 120?

I just realized I don't really have a guess at what kind of scale they operate at.

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Well, they're all freelancers, so DC doesn't really "employ" any of them (unless they also have a position at the company). But if you took the number of books DC release a month (113 for November 2013) and remove the duplicate authors (a lot), you could get a rough idea.

Legba on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I'm complaining that I'll never be this funny re: comic book based movie tweets

• Options
    Legba wrote: »
    Well, they're all freelancers, so DC doesn't really "employ" any of them (unless they also have a position at the company). But if you took the number of books DC release a month (113 for November 2013) and remove the duplicate authors (a lot), you could get a rough idea.

I'm always forgetting shit like this, assuming DC just finds writers that work and keeps them around on some kind of...I don't know. Real Business Comics seems like some kind of corporate circus act, half-mad, half-mundane.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular

I count 72 unique writing credits on there.

There are 6 female writers, approximately 8% of the credits:
    Marguerite Bennett (Batgirl #25)
    Christy Marx (Birds of Prey #25)
    Ann Nocenti (Katana #9)
    Amanda Conner (Harley Quinn #0)
    Gail Simone (The Movement #6, Birds of Prey Vol. 3 TP)
    Karen Traviss (Batman: Arkham Unhinged #20, Gears of War Book Three TP)

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2013

I count 72 unique writing credits on there.

There are 6 female writers, approximately 8% of the credits:
    Marguerite Bennett (Batgirl #25)
    Christy Marx (Birds of Prey #25)
    Ann Nocenti (Katana #9)
    Amanda Conner (Harley Quinn #0)
    Gail Simone (The Movement #6, Birds of Prey Vol. 3 TP)
    Karen Traviss (Batman: Arkham Unhinged #20, Gears of War Book Three TP)

http://www.newsarama.com/18678-marvel-comics-november-2013-solicitations.html

This might be the one thing DC actually dramatically bests Marvel at.

Edit: And of course, I don't think there's a single black writer lined up at either of the big two from this month to any of the future solicits that are out right now.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Just a general beef that lately I cannot find out a single twist for the first time in the actual book that twist is in. It's ALWAYS spoiled weeks or months in advance, sometimes a genuine leak, but half the time it's the company itself releasing it to be splayed across every headline ever in a completely unavoidable fashion.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'm hoping Marvel still leaves us in the dark till the very last minute regarding the Ultimate universe after Cataclysm.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    You know what grinds my gears? Marvel Omnibuses of older comics. The company goes through all the trouble of putting out these finely crafted books just to take a big dump on its pages with shitty re-coloring. I understand that the printing methods and paper stock have changed in the last 50 years or so, but the work that goes into coloring these books is absolutely shoddy. Colors are changed for no reason, saturation is kicked up to 11, and the coloring strokes are only vaguely resembling the originals.
    I decided not to purchase any more omnibuses collecting the old stuff, which is a shame. At least we still have the essential line, which while not perfect, is much better than these horrid "re-imaginings".

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'm hoping Marvel still leaves us in the dark till the very last minute regarding the Ultimate universe after Cataclysm.

The Ultimate universe is invincible. Even Jeph Loeb can't kill it.

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Who the fuck is this NOT Andre Lima Araujo Artist on MY Avengers A.I. ?!

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    so Fantomex MAX #2 has implied lesbian rape in it and dialogue like this NSFW

that's uh

not at all what i wanted in a pulpy adventure romp with fantomex
    http://www.housetoastonish.com/?p=2269

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I wouldn't expect a pulpy adventure romp in a MAX book

not that this makes it okay, mind

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    the francavilla cover made me think pulpy adventure romp

this is why people who draw the interiors should draw the covers, too

misleading as all holy hell otherwise

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    the francavilla cover made me think pulpy adventure romp

this is why people who draw the interiors should draw the covers, too

misleading as all holy hell otherwise

The series even opened in a way that leads you to think fun pulp adventure, but then it just flounders really bad, even without the rape scenes it'd be awful, which is sad, because I was so excited when Fantomex MAX was announced

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I can see his point about Electro, because if there's one thing that the stereotypical comic nerd loves, it's continuity. But personally, as long as the movie is good, I don't care who plays who.

The John Stewart stuff is bullshit though, since it's a completely different guy in a job that is based on many different people (or who/whatever gets a ring) doing it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    This is why the Electro bit is bullshit too

Further it's telling that the examples he used for making black characters white were real people whose racial identity is historically important, whereas Electro's whiteness is really just an aesthetic choice that has had no impact on the character or his stories to date.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    This is why the Electro bit is bullshit too

Further it's telling that the examples he used for making black characters white were real people whose racial identity is historically important, whereas Electro's whiteness is really just an aesthetic choice that has had no impact on the character or his stories to date.

Electro is also just a really ridiculous character to get mad at. He's freaking Electro!

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    blue electric people are people too

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Donnie for Spider-Man

• Options
    If I was Marvel, or Sony, I'd start to be really concerned if it turned out racists might not like Spider-Man anymore.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    It's at the point where even as a Comic Dude I just can't imagine giving a shit who does what with what comic property. Least of all casting. We got it, dude. We got it. We got every single comic movie in like a decade. We're done, the rest is just gravy.

My dad got 0 good comic book movies in the first 50 years he read comic books.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    The newest shipment to Sydney is delayed :(

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Nipples?! On bipedal female frog creatures?

So, so wrong. And yet, partially why I picked up Black Science.

(I guess I'm complaining about my unconditional love of nips? It had to be said, you understand.)

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Hrmm. Mike Deodato just did a pinup of Captain Marvel with her nipples poking out you may like.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    ew

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Is that supposed to be a picture after sustaining massive spinal injury?

• Options
    I love how the background is so... "I'll make some kind of twisted log that might have a banana plant growing out of it or something...yeah, that's it. Maybe some stones in there. Nailed it."

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Nipples. Crooked back. Banana Plant. Wood.

Heh. You don't need to be a psychologist for this drawing.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Take out the crooked back and that's a nice pic.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Take out the crooked back and that's a nice pic.

Yes, if it weren't for the artist's complete inability to draw a person in the way a person would look that would be a good drawing.

Magell on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    welp, we now know why Deodato's been relying on Poser tracing so heavily

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Can

Can we not post creepy pin ups

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Are you guys really upset about that image?

Pretty sure it's not a crime against humanity.

• Options
    Yeah other than the crooked spine it's not a creepy image at all. "Sultry" maybe but not exploitative.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Yeah it's badly composed but not offensive or anything.

• Options
    uh I don't see any nipples there?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    uh I don't see any nipples there?

I didn't either, but after taking a closer look you can kinda see the left nipple.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    I am pretty sure that's just a line delineating between the starburst logo and the rest of the yellow material

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.