As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Airing Of Grievances In Public Conversation Form (Potentially NSFW or NSF56K)

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Iron Man 4 preview has made me give up on IM until Land is off the book.

At first I thought this hand was weird and poorly traced:

prv14486_pg3.jpg

then a page later you get this.....

prv14486_pg4.jpg

Seinfeld would say those aren't even man hands.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    yeah... pretty sure that's emma frost from when i read uncanny. Is he not even finding different faces to trace?

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Is that supposed to be Pepper?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Yep, and she even says to Tony "do I look like all those other women to you?" Which is just hilarious. I know Gillen's attempted to spin away Land on the book as how Tony sees stuff but it's just not working. Can't even trace freckles?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    yeah... pretty sure that's emma frost from when i read uncanny. Is he not even finding different faces to trace?

Land02_sandarbullock.jpg

Land33.jpg

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    got dang Tony Harris is apparently choosing the hill of fake geek girls as the one he wants to die on

he's apparently shooting his mouth off on Facebook again, claiming that he needs to "clarify" his remarks

by "clarify" he apparently means "be less vulgar but even more condescending"

http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/12/09/burned-by-controversy-tony-harris-comes-back-for-more/

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    can we just laugh

like, not even acknowledge his argument as valid

• Options
    I get what you're saying but I don't think valid is the quite the word to use

but yeah, I almost didn't post about it because what's the point even paying attention to it

but I figured somebody was going to post it anyway so eh

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Well, he's doing a bang-up job of burning every last bridge imaginable. Cripes. This dude did Starman and Ex Machina. Find his work now. That's all you need to know about how relevant he is in the community.

The funny thing is that it has people talking about him. The sad thing is that I don't see anyone seriously coming to his aid.

*sad trombone*

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Some people should really get PR for their online presence...

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    What's funny is that he's one of the better artists when it comes to drawing women. Like, if you wanted an example of the medium displaying a diverse set of women without inappropriately sexualizing them, Starman and Ex Machina would work well.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Tony Harris has clearly had his brain eaten by something

it is sad but he deserves what he gets now

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    If you stir up the internet, the best thing to do is to keep your hed down. The internet does not have a long attention span, and will soon move on to the next poor schmuck who attracts their attention. But if you keep feeding the internet, it will get a taste for your blood, and keep after you.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    This whole fake geek girl controversy thing is kind of fascinating to me. The *ahem* big sticking point seems to be about women dressing suggestively at cons? That's it, right? Dressing up like how the characters are dressed.

I find that pretty fucking strange, and it speaks to some kind of idea about guys not ready to see someone in real life dressed up like that. Especially when a con should probably be one of the most rational places for it to happen. Plus, you know, it's not like anyone happens to talk shit about the guy who dressed up as Swamp Thing or whatever. They hate on Black Canary. They hate on She-Hulk. Bat-Girl. Whatever.

It's like, 'These outfits are perfectly acceptable for fictitious female characters I'll read about and enjoy for years, but I object to an actual woman thinking it's okay to appear at a con dressed in this way.'

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    I wish the old Awesome function was around to express how great that point is.

• Options
    tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    This whole fake geek girl controversy thing is kind of fascinating to me. The *ahem* big sticking point seems to be about women dressing suggestively at cons? That's it, right? Dressing up like how the characters are dressed.

I find that pretty fucking strange, and it speaks to some kind of idea about guys not ready to see someone in real life dressed up like that. Especially when a con should probably be one of the most rational places for it to happen. Plus, you know, it's not like anyone happens to talk shit about the guy who dressed up as Swamp Thing or whatever. They hate on Black Canary. They hate on She-Hulk. Bat-Girl. Whatever.

It's like, 'These outfits are perfectly acceptable for fictitious female characters I'll read about and enjoy for years, but I object to an actual woman thinking it's okay to appear at a con dressed in this way.'

MovieBob pretty much summed up my feelings about the whole "fake geek girl" thing in a recent The Big Picture:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/6552-Original-Geek-Girl

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Well that's part of it for sure but the other issue is in this man's lunatic mind these women are doing it to attract men who go to cons for black magic or something.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah that's the insane bit, the idea that these women go to cons in cosplay outfits to prey on poor, unsuspecting nerds or something

this idea that they aren't really nerds just temptresses in power girl outfits hunting for fresh meat

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Yeah that's the insane bit, the idea that these women go to cons in cosplay outfits to prey on poor, unsuspecting nerds or something

this idea that they aren't really nerds just temptresses in power girl outfits hunting for fresh meat

That delicious comiccon meat. Every girl's dream
    :rotate:

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I have a feeling some might stem from most of the people that complain about 'fake geek girls', couldn't wear any costume but Volstagg and Butterball.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    And Bouncing Boy. Don't forget Bouncing Boy.

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Was The Blob too obvious?

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I'd be proud to cosplay as Volstagg if I could act as boisterous as he is. I'd also have to bleach my head and facial hair. Well ... I'm not quite as round, but it depends on the artist. I think I could pull off the Volstagg who wrecked the Doombots in Latverian Prometheus.

But, yes. I believe the anger is that because they are perceived to be unattainable they are being cockteases. I have no self-esteem with regard to women, but I don't hate them for it.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've never liked "booth babes" because man come on, find another way to make your product attractive that's actually relevant to what you're trying to sell, and thanks, I'm here trying to be respectful and courteous and now I can't even look that direction without people thinking that I'm ogling.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Less a bitch, just more, hahaha, and also, does Hawkeye initiative have people on Robot Chicken?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pb9l988kqL4

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I've never liked "booth babes" because man come on, find another way to make your product attractive that's actually relevant to what you're trying to sell, and thanks, I'm here trying to be respectful and courteous and now I can't even look that direction without people thinking that I'm ogling.
    They're barred from PAX, right?

To be honest, there's only one time I've had any reaction other than some variation of "Neat!" and that was at Heroes Con—the little girl cosplaying as Hit-Girl who people could take photos with (for money, IIRC). That was fucked up. I believe it was another creator's kid because they were in one of the booths. I know some other people weren't too keen on that either.

But if I ever go to another con in the future I like to think it'd be a lot easier to ask to take a photo with a Captain Marvel cosplayer than with a Ms. Marvel one. Of course they always eluded me except for the teenage one the last day in Albuquerque, and ... No.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    They're barred from PAX, right?

To be honest, there's only one time I've had any reaction other than some variation of "Neat!" and that was at Heroes Con—the little girl cosplaying as Hit-Girl who people could take photos with (for money, IIRC). That was fucked up. I believe it was another creator's kid because they were in one of the booths. I know some other people weren't too keen on that either.

But if I ever go to another con in the future I like to think it'd be a lot easier to ask to take a photo with a Captain Marvel cosplayer than with a Ms. Marvel one. Of course they always eluded me except for the teenage one the last day in Albuquerque, and ... No.

Supposedly but they're always all over the place anyways.

Weaver on
  • Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    I will say from past experience that a comic con is the worst place to be a virgin at. After 3 days of being surrounded by hundreds of gorgeous women in tight fitting clothes and bathing suits, I was about ready to run to artist alley to go hump a table.

And that's why I am no longer allowed at the McCormack center.

• Options
    uHvPW.jpg

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Booth Babes (i.e. Women hired to dress in costume to promote a product) are a separate issue. Harris is bitching about people who take it upon themselves to dress as characters, for their own amusement.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

Comic conventions aren't the only places you'll see models do that. They appear in ads and car conventions* for the same purpose. I don't hold it against them, a job's a job. If they can do well in that market more power to them.

*or whatever the term is for places that sell to customers with models on display

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    It's definitely no picnic for them.

• Options
    As long as they're not charging me for pictures, and they're not trying to use their sexuality to get me to buy their product, I'm all for women cosplaying.

I don't see what the big deal is about "fake geek girls". I think the more important and pervasive problem is the "fake gamer chicks", who actually have websites where you can "rent" a "gamer chick".

• Options
    edited December 2012
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    As long as they're not charging me for pictures, and they're not trying to use their sexuality to get me to buy their product, I'm all for women cosplaying.

I don't see what the big deal is about "fake geek girls". I think the more important and pervasive problem is the "fake gamer chicks", who actually have websites where you can "rent" a "gamer chick".

Cosplayers aren't there to sell stuff to you, that's the booth babes. I've never heard or seen a cosplayer charge for photos, either.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular

Isn't the problem more with the guy/gal that would 'rent' a 'gamer chick'?

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    they wouldn't exist if there wasnt a "market" for it

• Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    uHvPW.jpg

Relax, I'm joking.

Maybe

• Options
    Ugh. Just wanted to vent on here: Darn you DC editors for booting Gail Simone from Batgirl.

Is Gail Simone on anything anymore? I want Marvel to grab her up and put her to work on Runaways.

• Options
    Ugh. Just wanted to vent on here: Darn you DC editors for booting Gail Simone from Batgirl.

Is Gail Simone on anything anymore? I want Marvel to grab her up and put her to work on Spider-man.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Is Gail Simone on anything anymore? I want Marvel to grab her up and put her to work on Spider-man.

I don't think Scott is going anywhere for awhile.

Why Spider-man in particular?

Quire.jpg
This discussion has been closed.