As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a Buffy thread for us uncultured heathens / MetroidZoid can't click on any spoilers :D

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    people give Voyager too much shit

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Oh man! This thread just reminded me of a really embarrassing childhood memory. Thanks thread!

I recorded the musical episode and brought it to a friends house for a big sleepover thing and tried to get everybody to watch it and nobody else thought it was fun and I got hella grumpy and then years later wrote a run on sentence about it on the internet.

And then a moderator came and told you that you just reminded her how fucking hot she thinks Janeway is.

but only after she ditched the weird bun haircut

True story: I used to fantasize about Janeway and 7 of 9 getting it on in a shuttlecraft. I was the nerdiest high school kid ever.

did you write fanfiction

I bet you wrote fanfiction

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    I liked Dollhouse when it wasn't about Eliza Dushku

sorry Neville

You are why I'm gay.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Angel was also fucking dope

I'm still a bit bitter about how it ended

but damn, it had its moments

the puppet episodes

Wait, what?
    angel-puppet-with-fred-gunn-and-wesly.jpg

WHAT?

I love puppet episodes, even more than musical episodes. Here's looking at you, two specific 30 Rock segments ...
    neville wrote: »
    Also, Christian Kane (Lindsey McDonald from Angel) is awesome and in a band and is quite a good singer.

I kept hoping there'd be a musical episode, but David Boreanaz clearly spent all of his D&D character points in being hot and ZERO in singing.
    His renditions of "Mandy" are... painful. :S

I'm not seeing a problem with this. Carry on, Booth ...

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Metroid start watching, stop getting spoilers :p

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    I liked Dollhouse when it wasn't about Eliza Dushku

sorry Neville

You are why I'm gay.

I'm flattered, really

• Options
    Eh, I'm halfway paying attention anyways. I'm amazed that I'm somehow able to multitask the forums, Facebook, this paper, and TED talks at the same time.

I'm probably going to suffer from an aneurysm momentarily.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Oh man! This thread just reminded me of a really embarrassing childhood memory. Thanks thread!

I recorded the musical episode and brought it to a friends house for a big sleepover thing and tried to get everybody to watch it and nobody else thought it was fun and I got hella grumpy and then years later wrote a run on sentence about it on the internet.

And then a moderator came and told you that you just reminded her how fucking hot she thinks Janeway is.

but only after she ditched the weird bun haircut

True story: I used to fantasize about Janeway and 7 of 9 getting it on in a shuttlecraft. I was the nerdiest high school kid ever.

did you write fanfiction

I bet you wrote fanfiction

Extensively, but only in my head. Sorry.

Ooh, but I bet @Fyndir would be up to the task. He wrote THE most amazing (BBC) Sherlock-Watson slashfic scene. *wistful sigh*

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Angel was also fucking dope

I'm still a bit bitter about how it ended

but damn, it had its moments

the puppet episodes

I'm a bit bitter, only because of what they had planned.
    The way it actually went down was pretty baller.

Also
    I almost cried when Fred died / became Illyria.

Summary: I am a boob.

What did they haveplanned?

Bummer about what happened RE: the cancellation
    (Head writer David Fury "guarantees" that if Joss Whedon had not requested an early renewal, Angel would have been back for a Season 6:)
    The only reason that Angel didn't come back...it's a very simple thing. Because our ratings were up, because of our critical attention, Joss specifically asked Jordan Levin, who was the head of The WB at the time, to give us an early pick-up because every year they [would] wait so long to give Angel a pick-up [and] a lot of us [would] turn down jobs hoping that Angel will continue– he [Joss] didn't want that to happen. So, he was feeling very confident and he [Joss] just asked Jordan, "Like, make your decision now whether you're going to pick us up or not," and Jordan, sort of with his hands tied, with his back up against the wall, called him the next day and said, "Okay, we're cancelling you." Jordan's no longer there and The WB has since recognized...I believe Garth Ancier at The WB said that it was a big mistake to cancel Angel. There was a power play that happened that just didn't fall out the way they wanted it to. We wanted to get an early pick-up, we didn't. In fact we forced them [the WB] to make a decision, and with his hand forced he [Levin] made the decision to cancel us. I guarantee that, if we waited as we normally did, by the time May had come around they would have picked up Angel. I can guarantee that.

What was planned:
    - Illyria was going to get closer and closer back to Fred (not sure what that means)
    - A major character would be turned into a vampire... pretty much acknowledged to be Gunn, since he turned in the After The Fall comics.
    - They wanted a big confrontation like in "Not Fade Away..." but didn't want it to come about so fast"

Also I would hope that they might've fixed Conor's story a bit. The way it was handled in Season 5 was... sloppy?

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Eh, I'm halfway paying attention anyways. I'm amazed that I'm somehow able to multitask the forums, Facebook, this paper, and TED talks at the same time.

I'm probably going to suffer from an aneurysm momentarily.
    That is actually kind of astounding because god damn does this place move fast. It kind of stresses me out sometimes! I guess maybe that's why I use so many exclamation marks!

!

But you can call me on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Look, a role model who would look awesome in shiny leather corsets and thigh-high boots is still a role model

I mean really are they even a decent role model if that's not the case?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    I'm just sad that Dichen Lachmann and Enver Gjokaj haven't gotten better roles since that show ended

• Options
    I'm just sad that Dichen Lachmann and Enver Gjokaj haven't gotten better roles since that show ended

I agree. Enver... mwowr. :bz

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Enver had an awesome guest spot in Community and he was in Avengers for like 3 seconds.

People will have to realize he's a great actor eventually.

I want Joss Whedon to use his new found awesome director powers to make another Firefly movie.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    no more Firefly

let Joss have his hand at something new

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    But you can call meBut you can call me Grand Divina Angela Registered User regular
    Conor stuff was just bad. I feel like I heard that Darla's actress getting pregnant unexpectedly is why Conor even existed in the show, which might explain why it wasn't great, but yeah. I actually sort of forgot that it happened until now.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Magell wrote: »
    Enver had an awesome guest spot in Community and he was in Avengers for like 3 seconds.

People will have to realize he's a great actor eventually.

I want Joss Whedon to use his new found awesome director powers to make another Firefly movie.

Not unless it's a prequel. I'd miss Wash too much.

Another true story: I spent the entire series waiting for Wash to go full-psycho and kill everyone. Guess what I watched just before starting on Firefly. :P

• Options
    Firefly was great but I am really excited for Whedon's SHIELD show

• Options
    Conor stuff was just bad. I feel like I heard that Darla's actress getting pregnant unexpectedly is why Conor even existed in the show, which might explain why it wasn't great, but yeah. I actually sort of forgot that it happened until now.

I'm not so sure.
    Michelle Trachtenberg was on Buffy and there wasn't even a pregnancy for that.

Also first run through I hated Dawn and loved Conor.

Subsequent ones? Annoyed at Dawn initially, but overall she was ok; HATED CONOR THE ENTIRE TIME.

I'm not sure what that says.

But seeing the actor who played Conor on Mad Men always makes me giggle.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Dawn never fucking grew on me.

edit:
    By this I mean she never grew on me as a person. As a concept, and her character growth as she realized what she was and that she wasn't "real"... those things were both amazing. As a kid, though... I was happy thinking that she was going to serve her purpose and then leave everyone alone.

ceres on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The whole time when everybody is whining at Buffy to make money for them to keep the house I'm like why don't any of the other three people living there get a job. Buffy has important shit to do. Willow and Tara are always like I'm going to college I can't go to work that's too much, and Dawn just whines all the time. I never liked Dawn.

I don't know if I dislike Conor or just the storyline that introduced him.

• Options
    re: Illyria and re: the ending

Would you like me to lie to you now?

• Options
    Tox wrote: »

oh holy god
    that still absolutely fucking ruins me.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I always liked connor. If you're going to be an angsty teenager you might as well be an angsty teenager who was brought up by a crazy fundamentalist in hell. Also dude had acting chops, even back then.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I always liked connor. If you're going to be an angsty teenager you might as well be an angsty teenager who was brought up by a crazy fundamentalist in hell. Also dude had acting chops, even back then.

Oh I mean, the character bothered me.

The guy can certainly act.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    the only way to fix Connor's story would have been to never have written it at all

• Options
    draft

God damn it. Wesley all in his office, getting mad drunk, being all sardonic and whatnot.

Geez. A series that started out being about a vampire fighting cheerleader should not have been able to tug heartstrings like that.

• Options
    Seriously it sucks that they got cut short the way they did and all that, but that whole build up to the end, from Cordy's last appearance right onward? That shit was the tits. I don't remember the last time a series ended that well for me.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I watched almost all of Buffy like much earlier in the year. Don't think I can ever do it again. It's a great show with some excellent character stuff but man. (season 6 spoilers)
    Tara dieing pretty much destroyed me. If felt so pointless and I didn't like what they did with Willow afterwards and bleh. Just felt like a mediocre bit of character development that ruined something pretty dang awesome for no good reason at all.

Also it was crazy sad.

• Options
    Never really got into Angel. It didn't seem like my thing.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i hope Joss Whedon's SHIELD show is the new Buffy

• Options
    Seriously it sucks that they got cut short the way they did and all that, but that whole build up to the end, from Cordy's last appearance right onward? That shit was the tits. I don't remember the last time a series ended that well for me.

Speaking of Cordelia's tits, seriously what is up with them in the OP

• Options
    I watched almost all of Buffy like much earlier in the year. Don't think I can ever do it again. It's a great show with some excellent character stuff but man. (season 6 spoilers)
    Tara dieing pretty much destroyed me. If felt so pointless and I didn't like what they did with Willow afterwards and bleh. Just felt like a mediocre bit of character development that ruined something pretty dang awesome for no good reason at all.

Also it was crazy sad.

There is no season 6.

• Options
    Ugh I'm feeling crappy again just thinking about it. It's just a TV show and all that but that stuff put me in a bad way for like a week solid. Just felt awful.

• Options
    I remember when Olivia Wilde finally got put into the credits of House, M.D. Then promptly left the show.
    Everybody was like, "no way she's dead, they just put her in the credits! They wouldn't add someone to the credits, then kill them off."
    Yeah, what kind of goose would do a thing like that?

• Options

Also it was crazy sad.

Big spoilers (seriously DON'T read if you're Metroid / havent seen Buffy or Angel)
    There was a reason why Tara left the show. But I can't find it now.
    I know that Joss wanted Tara to come back, but the part she was offered was one of the manifestations of the First and she said that would kill fans who were upset her character died.

But the show did some AMAZING work, especially with tying stories with foreshadowing.
    I mean foreshadowing Buffy's death AND Dawn's arrival 2 years in advance? That's fucking masterful!
    From the wiki/faq:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Graduation Day: Part 2 (#3.22): Faith is in Buffy's dream and says, "Little Miss Muffet counting down from seven-three-oh." There was a "Little Miss Muffet" theme with Dawn in Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Real Me (#5.2): a crazy guy comes up to Dawn and says, "I know you. Curds and whey. I know what you are. You.. Don't.. Belong.. Here!" And in Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Place Like Home (#5.5), during Glory's insane ramblings she says "..someone's going to sit down on their tuffet and make this birthing stop!" The seven-three-zero represents the two years (730 days) that pass between 'Graduation Day' and Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Gift (#5.22).

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: This Year's Girl (#4.15): Again in a dream, Faith tells Buffy to get ready because "Little sis is coming". Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Restless (#4.22): Tara tells Buffy in a dream to "be back before Dawn", and the time on the clock reads 7:30 (seven-three-oh...) Also, Buffy and Tara are looking at the bed Faith and Buffy made in Buffy the Vampire Slayer: This Year's Girl (#4.15).

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Also it was crazy sad.

There is no season 6.

God.
    This.
    This.
    This times 1000.

Although I REALLY liked the trio as villains (Ok I liked Andrew + Jonathan; Warren's character was pretty horribly unlikeable).
    Also, I dated a guy who is an entertainment writer who knows a lot of the cast.
    He has gone clubbing with Andrew.. haha.

And when I mentioned this thread, he was apparently just getting back from dinner with Amber Benson.
    I told him to burn. :\

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Aww man ...

I wanna click things

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    DO NOT CLICK, Jordan.
    BAD.

Seriously.
    Go watch the show.
    All the spoilers from people should show you there's a lot of awesome waiting for you!

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    I was trying to look up an answer to @Cilla Black's comment and ran into this:

(Also not a safe link for @metroidzoid .. sorry!)
    http://www.craveonline.com/film/interviews/198233-cannibalism-and-drugs-amber-benson-on-dust-up-and-buffy

nevillexmassig1.png