Options

a Buffy thread for us uncultured heathens / MetroidZoid can't click on any spoilers :D

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Man

Knox's actor really got typecast, didn't he?

He plays two different characters in Buffy and Angel that are both essentially
    seemingly friendly/casual nice guy that happens to be evil.

I mean that's a pretty specific niche.

in Firefly too

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    it's pretty clearly implied that darla and drusilla and spike and angel spent most of the nineteenth century fucking one another's brains out in various exotic locales

TURNS OUT VAMPIRES ARE ABOUT SEX

WHOOPS

Crimson King on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Ah, yes, but neither Angel nor Spike ever had both Darla and Dru at the same time. That's made rather clear.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    The Geek wrote: »
    that's a terrible ship and you should feel ashamed

Yes, shipping is absolutely something to be ashamed of.

You just shipped a ship and a trashcan.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Larlar wrote: »

What?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Larlar wrote: »

What?

It's a metal cylinder you put trash in.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Ah, yes, but neither Angel nor Spike ever had both Darla and Dru at the same time. That's made rather clear.

when is that made clear

before spike came along it was just angel cruising europe with the ladies, there is basically no way they didn't all get up to shenanigans

i mean for all we know they were all perfectly chaste, it's never made explicit, but on the other hand that's the subtext of every vampire story every

also watching it again is hilarious how clearly darla finds dru tiresome and is just humouring angel

"yeah babe, she's so cute and funny and random. what's that? no not tonight, i got a headache. you guys have fun"

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

when is that made clear

"Concurrently!?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

when is that made clear

before spike came along it was just angel cruising europe with the ladies, there is basically no way they didn't all get up to shenanigans

i mean for all we know they were all perfectly chaste, it's never made explicit, but on the other hand that's the subtext of every vampire story every

also watching it again is hilarious how clearly darla finds dru tiresome and is just humouring angel

"yeah babe, she's so cute and funny and random. what's that? no not tonight, i got a headache. you guys have fun"

Its made clear in the episode with the Immortal. You know, when they catch him in a threeway with the two and rage at never having had the pleasure.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Finished my Angel rewatch/Buffy (mostly) first watch last night.

I think I have a lot of thoughts, but they aren't really coming to mind. But I can more fully participate in conversations.

Oh:

I was going back through the thread and reading spoilers and such and I was surprised that I guess no one likes Kennedy? I didn't notice anything offensive about her, she seemed about as neutral as a character could be. Was it that people saw her as a Tara replacement? Because (aside from a couple episodes) I was pretty neutral on her too.

Something that occurred to me while watching the shows is that, with so much of the mythos revolving around vampires specifically (more than the other demons), some of the other supernatural characters seemed like they might have started life as a twist on traditional vamps. Like the first time Glory was feeding, I wondered if the writers had thought "psychic vampire" and developed her from there. Illyria has other traits associated with vampires in the show-- she looks and sounds like a particular dead person, and even has their memories and some personality traits, but that person is dead and gone from that body. And now that I'm typing this, I guess the First is kinda like that too.

• Options
    having done the whole sick parent thing i think i just have no patience whatsoever for watching it happen on the television

you can't actually do anything about it? that's sort of how it works? so as a plotline it's super inactive and mostly just consists of people sitting in waiting rooms wearing dumb shocked expressions

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Something that occurred to me while watching the shows is that, with so much of the mythos revolving around vampires specifically (more than the other demons), some of the other supernatural characters seemed like they might have started life as a twist on traditional vamps. Like the first time Glory was feeding, I wondered if the writers had thought "psychic vampire" and developed her from there. Illyria has other traits associated with vampires in the show-- she looks and sounds like a particular dead person, and even has their memories and some personality traits, but that person is dead and gone from that body. And now that I'm typing this, I guess the First is kinda like that too.

I think this is more a matter of metaphor than mythology

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

I think this is more a matter of metaphor than mythology

That's what I mean-- I didn't mean that Glory is literally related to vamps in any way. But I thought it was neat that even when Buffy wasn't slaying vampires, her villains were still sometimes a different take on the concept, rather than something wholly separate from her title and job description.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular

I was going back through the thread and reading spoilers and such and I was surprised that I guess no one likes Kennedy? I didn't notice anything offensive about her, she seemed about as neutral as a character could be. Was it that people saw her as a Tara replacement? Because (aside from a couple episodes) I was pretty neutral on her too.

yeah I never really got the hate for Kennedy either. I liked her.

well I guess I can kind of see where the hate comes from (Tara replacement, pushy brat, undermining Buffy) but it never really bothered me to the point where I did not go "yay, good for you, Willow"

• Options
    I was never particularly attached to Tara, so I assure you my vehement dislike of Kennedy is entirely about how goddamn unbearable she is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Re: Cordy's character progression in Angel, I liked this little exchange from the first season
    Cordelia: So, here I am at Le Petit Renard with Mr. Armani, who could keep me in blue boxes for the rest of my life.
    Angel: Blue boxes.
    Cordelia: Tiffany's! God! And the whole night I was bored silly. All I could think about was, if this wimp saw a monster, he'd probably throw a shoe at it and run like a weasel. Turns out, the shoe part was giving him too much credit.
    Angel: There aren't very many people who wouldn't run. It's just human nature.
    Cordelia: Yeah. ... But all of a sudden "rich and handsome" isn't good enough for me. Now I expect a guy to be all brave and interesting. And it's your fault. Both of you.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Not single thing about
    Cordy and Angel getting together
    made even the tiniest bit of sense.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Not single thing about

More or less agree
    I enjoyed when they played with idea. Like the episode with the ballet, but when they finally got together it was like.....ehhh

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Not single thing about

More or less agree
    I enjoyed when they played with idea. Like the episode with the ballet, but when they finally got together it was like.....ehhh

What i did like about the idea was that Angel has a way to at least be with someone, romantically. He wasn't that bound by the curse, he just couldn't be with that one true love who invoked perfect happiness.

Although they also covered this during Season 5 as well and did a much better job at it.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I'm currently watching the season 3 finale of Buffy. This has been my favorite season so far! The Mayor is just so good. Also the kiss between
    Cordy and Wesley
    was the most wonderful awkward thing ever. Great!

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Season 3 finale was probably my favourite episode of Buffy that isn't Hush.

• Options
    But the best season 3 episode is The Zeppo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Xander episodes are all pretty much the best

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Does that mean I'm alone in my Xander hate?

Edit- Also that was post #1000!

nicopernicus on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I guess you can hate Xander if Joss Whedon stand in characters annoy you (Wash, Topher)

• Options
    there are plenty of people who hate Xander

mostly hardcore Buffy/Angel shippers

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I remember Xander was vilified for years on some Buffy forums because...
    ...he didn't relay Willow's message to Buffy in the Season 2 finale.

• Options
    yup

hardcore Buffy/Angel shippers

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Hate is a strong word, but I really didn't like the way he acted after Cordelia and he were no longer a thing. You messed up man, own it. Again I'm only to the end of season 3. Zeppo alone was almost enough to make me like him more.

• Options
    he does a lot to make it up to Cordy over the back half of season 3, dude knows he fucked up.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    That's true. He was pretty cool about her secret and dress. Funny thing is I really like Topher and Wash... I don't know what it is that rubs me the wrong way. I'll give him another chance as I watch this next season tough.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I've recently restarted watching through Buffy. This will be my 2nd time through and ecco's first. We're about halfway through Season 2 Buffy (Phases being the last episode we watched last night).

I've got the first 3 season of Buffy handy and the first 4 seasons of angel in the wings, for when that becomes relevant.

It's amazing to me how much the show managed to stick with me though. I've remembered almost every single episode so far, after only seeing them once (i never watched either show when it was on tv).

• Options
    I'm using the guide posted earlier to watch Buffy and Angel concurrently, and I really love the set up of Angel as a private eye. Thanks to whoever posted that!

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Just remembered something

Conversations with Dead People:
    Was there ever any follow-up to Dawn's encounter? I felt it pretty obviously wasn't Joyce, but it also wasn't the First-- the First wouldn't be able to cut Dawn or make such a mess of their house. And if it was Joyce, as Dawn believed, than what was supposedly fighting her?

And there wasn't any big moment later in the season of Buffy choosing something over Dawn (although she did tell Giles that in retrospect, she might've sacrificed Dawn in season 5), and Dawn didn't have any huge trust issues against her sister (kicking her out of the house was for a different reason altogether and not just a Dawn thing)

Edit: From Wikipedia:
    On the DVD commentary for the show, Jane Espenson revealed that the image of Joyce is The First. In the original draft of the script, Dawn was going to try to raise her mother. When Joyce appeared, she was to say, "They said I couldn't bring someone back." To which The First/Joyce would reply: "Maybe I'm the First."

Still doesn't fit.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    Just remembered something

Conversations with Dead People:
    Was there ever any follow-up to Dawn's encounter? I felt it pretty obviously wasn't Joyce, but it also wasn't the First-- the First wouldn't be able to cut Dawn or make such a mess of their house. And if it was Joyce, as Dawn believed, than what was supposedly fighting her?

And there wasn't any big moment later in the season of Buffy choosing something over Dawn (although she did tell Giles that in retrospect, she might've sacrificed Dawn in season 5), and Dawn didn't have any huge trust issues against her sister (kicking her out of the house was for a different reason altogether and not just a Dawn thing)

Edit: From Wikipedia:
    On the DVD commentary for the show, Jane Espenson revealed that the image of Joyce is The First. In the original draft of the script, Dawn was going to try to raise her mother. When Joyce appeared, she was to say, "They said I couldn't bring someone back." To which The First/Joyce would reply: "Maybe I'm the First."

Still doesn't fit.

This is from a Buffy Wiki,
    On the DVD commentary for the show, Jane Espenson revealed that the image of Joyce was actually The First. In the original draft of the script, Dawn was going to try to raise her mother. When Joyce appeared, she was to say "They said I couldn't bring someone back." To which The First/Joyce would reply: "Maybe I'm the First."

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    It's been a while, but I believe that episode went through a bunch of rewrites.

Offhand, I think I remember...
    Xander and Anya got cut from the episode (I think it might be the only episode in the series that Xander doesn't appear in?). Xander was supposed to encounter Jesse (his best friend from the very first episode that was killed and never mentioned again), and I don't remember who Anya was supposed to encounter.
    The girl Willow encountered was also originally supposed to be Tara, but Amber Benson refused to come back because she thought it would be unfair to the fans for the last time they see Tara she was an evil representation of the First trying to get Willow to commit suicide.

It also shows how much of a clusterfuck the writing had become at that point when they couldn't get the details of their Big Bad right and they kill off Jonathan for no reason (seriously, it doesn't even accomplish the villain's goals) and let Andrew basically get away with it completely (aside from Buffy making him cry later).

I'm actually not a big fan of that episode.

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    oh Buffy thread, how I have missed you :D

and I really like Conversations with dead people. buffy's foe makes it all work.

scherbchen on
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

Xander and Anya got cut from the episode (I think it might be the only episode in the series that Xander doesn't appear in?). Xander was supposed to encounter Jesse (his best friend from the very first episode that was killed and never mentioned again), and I don't remember who Anya was supposed to encounter.
    The girl Willow encountered was also originally supposed to be Tara, but Amber Benson refused to come back because she thought it would be unfair to the fans for the last time they see Tara she was an evil representation of the First trying to get Willow to commit suicide.

It also shows how much of a clusterfuck the writing had become at that point when they couldn't get the details of their Big Bad right and they kill off Jonathan for no reason (seriously, it doesn't even accomplish the villain's goals) and let Andrew basically get away with it completely (aside from Buffy making him cry later).

If I had to guess I would say
    Halfrek would have appeared to Anya, but I can't remember if she died before that episode, since bolth were season 7

• Options
    Even so, I always assumed that Dawns Encounter was the First, if i remember right it was brought up later on as well and verified.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Valleo wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »

If I had to guess I would say
    Halfrek would have appeared to Anya, but I can't remember if she died before that episode, since bolth were season 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlmf1kQL-to

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg