Options

a Buffy thread for us uncultured heathens / MetroidZoid can't click on any spoilers :D

1293031323335»

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Even so, I always assumed that Dawns Encounter was the First, if i remember right it was brought up later on as well and verified.

Looks like that was the intention. Shame that it breaks the rules and lets the First affect the physical world

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Even so, I always assumed that Dawns Encounter was the First, if i remember right it was brought up later on as well and verified.

Looks like that was the intention. Shame that it breaks the rules and lets the First affect the physical world

something handwave something
    Dawn is The Key, not an actual person

something handwave something

...I mean, meh. It's dumb, yeah, but not so dumb that I can't imagine some plot magic to make it OK.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    So my wife is watching Buffy for the very first time ever.

We're in Season Two and just finished Halloween. Her comments thus far

'I love the relationship between Angel and Buffy! Do they sleep together- I wonder what happens? Half-vampire babies?'
    Oh. Oh no.

I am really, really excited for Innocence.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I'm still working through Buffy and Angel and just watched the season 5 episode of Buffy when it came out that Anya used to date a troll. Great episode! So far season 3 of Buffy has been my favorite. Angel has really improved since the first season too. Is that with watching ask the way through to the end?

• Options
    Also, the Spike bits with the Buffy mannequin keep getting better and better. :) I'm not sure I want them to ever get together, but it's funny to see him act so crazy.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Angel is absolutely worth watching to the end. Season 4 gets a bit rough but Season 5 is stellar

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    season 5 of Angel is the best season of Buffy ever.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I'm still working through Buffy and Angel and just watched the season 5 episode of Buffy when it came out that Anya used to date a troll. Great episode! So far season 3 of Buffy has been my favorite. Angel has really improved since the first season too. Is that with watching ask the way through to the end?
    c'mon, he wasn't a troll then - he was just a big, dumb guy

• Options
    Haha good point. It's been really fun seeing Anya's character develop. In fact all of the Scoobies have quickly turned into some of my favorite TV characters. I know I was just complaining about Xander on the previous page, but I take it all back. Now if only we could get a Big Bad anywhere near as interesting as the Mayor.
    Seriously Adam was awful, and I feel like Glory only seems good because of the comparison. Also while I'm in spoilers, can I just complain about how Riley's character turned out? I quite liked him in Season 4, but I didn't really dig the whole Vampire groupie thing.

Also, it's good to hear that Angel stays good. I've heard dubious things about Season 6 of Buffy, but I'll try and plow through that. Realistically though I'm still a ways off as I'm only halfway through Seasons 5 and 2 of Buffy and Angel respectively. Also, school started back up which cuts into my binge-watching time drastically.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    c'mon, he wasn't a troll then - he was just a big, dumb guy

Tomato, tomato.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    RE: Adam
    I think he definitely had potential, and he had some good scenes (first one that comes to mind is in Superstar when he's basically the only one that notices that Jonathan changed the world). However, he suffers from an extreme lack of screentime.

For most seasons the Big Bad shows up within the first three or four episodes (if not the first episode). However, Adam doesn't show up until episode 12 (out of 22). He also only gets 7 appearances before getting killed (most other Big Bads get around a dozen appearances, except the Master due to Season 1 only having 13 episodes).

They should have focused more on Adam's Frankenstein nature ("You were a boyscout?" "Part of me was") and also portrayed him more as being Riley's future if he stayed with the Initiative (instead of just a little at the end). Instead Adam got very little screentime and they decided to basically have the Initiative end up being good guys (sort of) who help the Scoobies in the finale even though the whole season had basically been setting them up as the villains (aside from the college students who didn't know better and/or were being brainwashed).

Ever since the season aired there have been rumors that Professor Walsh was supposed to be the Big Bad but plans got changed and she got killed off, but the writers have denied this.

Alternatively you could almost view the Initiative itself as the Big Bad of the season, of which Adam is their instrument, but the Initiative helping out at the end kind of muddles that.

Regardless, Season 4 still had some really strong stand alone episodes.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Season 4 also had possibly the worst episode in the series, Beer Bad. But every season has at least something good about it. Season 3 is probably my favorite, because of Faith, the Mayor, and the sendoff of Sunnydale High. Though Season 2 from the middle to the end, hoo boy.

• Options
    I agree with all of that. Also... I just watched "The Body" from season 5 of Buffy for the very first time. Oh man. The feels.

• Options
    Man this season has seriously been packing the feels...
    Tara NOOOOOO
    what the hell Joss!

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Re: The Body
    tumblr_mze25iUSd21shn30ao1_500.jpg

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    guys no

no

we can't do this

not without the bro button

no

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    guys no

no

we can't do this

not without the bro button

no

Yeah.

This isn't Raven.

It isn't Raven at all.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    As much as I want to dislike Joss Whedon for casually, randomly killing off characters just because he thinks it's still as subversive as it was in the 90s and hasn't just become him falling for his own BS

He wrote The Body, possibly my single favorite piece of televisual media, so I'll never really be able to.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Yeah but season one had Doyle, who is like, the best? Maybe second best

So what DID happen? Did the guy get fired for drugs, then kill himself later?
    That's what I've pieced together, but am not sure if that is at all accurate.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    From what I've read, Doyle dying was part of the plan all along. Joss had wanted to suddenly kill off someone in the opening credits for a while, since being in the credits made the character "safe", and Buffy was based in a big way around subverting those kind of thing. He'd planned it with Jesse way back in buffy season 1, but had no money for two sets of opening credits.

Quinn's official cause of death was an accidental heroin overdose. Dunno what value of accidental is in play there.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    I just started a rewatch with my girlfriend who has never seen it.

Boy that preying mantis episode was rough.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png