As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a Buffy thread for us uncultured heathens / MetroidZoid can't click on any spoilers :D

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited November 2012
    Kochikens wrote: »
    The comics are so fucking awful

spoilers:
    Angel killed Giles, and Angel also went to space.
    This is two nights in a row now that you've given me terrible news! (I stopped reading after the first 12 issues.)

Also...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :o

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Campion wrote: »
    Season 4 had the dream episode, which was lovely.

I remember when that aired, my friends and I went about trying to decode it and waited anxiously for the start of the next season.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Ms. Calendar was the best

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular

spoilers:
    Aaahhahahaha

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    neville wrote: »
    Also I would hope that they might've fixed Conor's story a bit. The way it was handled in Season 5 was... sloppy?
    I like to imagine that Connor somehow went through a time portal, got another memory wipe and grew up into Pete Campbell. Because they're both whiny turds.

Kudos to Vincent Kartheiser though. He managed to wring some really relatable characterization out of what must have been some difficult writing.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the comics are astoundingly bad

like, it is jaw-dropping

i'm hesitant to go back and watch Buffy again, i have a sneaking suspicion it's not going to stand up to how good i thought it was when i was fourteen

it's funny how nothing is as good as i thought it was when i was fourteen

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    welcome to the only game in town dot jaypeg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    AwkoAwko About to poison the waterhole.Registered User regular
    I tried to make my girlfriend watch Buffy with me.

She gave up after season 2 despite my insistence.

We're no longer together
    Well, we are but the romance died that day.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If I'd been fourteen when Buffy was around I'd have been absolutely glued to it.

I guess I wasn't much older when it started, but I didn't get into it until season 3 or 4. Which means some of the nostalgia gloss isn't as strong, and the cheese was more evident at the time, so it probably holds up better for me.

But then I caught the first episode of season 2 (i think season 2) a while back and found myself wincing at some of the acting and dialog. It is very, very 90s.

I'd have to dig my dvd's out to confirm, but I think Angel actually holds up a bit better, partly because the production is a little slicker.

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    the comics are astoundingly bad
    like, it is jaw-dropping
    i'm hesitant to go back and watch Buffy again, i have a sneaking suspicion it's not going to stand up to how good i thought it was when i was fourteen
    it's funny how nothing is as good as i thought it was when i was fourteen
    I think a lot of them are still really good, some one-offs maybe not so fondly regarded (Dracula, and the Praying Mantis for me), but it's a character driven show for the most part, and well they haven't changed, they're still funny!

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    If I'd been fourteen when Buffy was around I'd have been absolutely glued to it.

I guess I wasn't much older when it started, but I didn't get into it until season 3 or 4. Which means some of the nostalgia gloss isn't as strong, and the cheese was more evident at the time, so it probably holds up better for me.

But then I caught the first episode of season 2 (i think season 2) a while back and found myself wincing at some of the acting and dialog. It is very, very 90s.

I'd have to dig my dvd's out to confirm, but I think Angel actually holds up a bit better, partly because the production is a little slicker.

Yeah, I'd agree with that, I think it is mainly because they had found the formula that worked by the start of Angel, whereas the first couple of seasons of Buffy they kind of swung about a bit in tone and production value. There's some great stuff in those early seasons, but Angel felt a lot more consistent from the get-go for me.

I hope Neville is pleased with himself, my box sets are glaring at me from the corner now, I'm gonna end up watching everything again for the nth time.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I remember spending many hours in high school debating the bangability of the various female cast members with Sarah Michelle Gellar and Charisma Carpenter fighting it out for top position with Alyson Hannigan only getting a mention because we needed a top 3.

Nobody ever listened to my arguments for Emma Caulfield.

• Options
    Hannigan took it in the long run though.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    The comics are really not that bad.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Bogey wrote: »

spoilers:
    This is two nights in a row now that you've given me terrible news! (I stopped reading after the first 12 issues.)

Also...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :o

sorry!! It's not my fault its dumb

and thanks :3

• Options
    I had a roommate who "hated Buffy"

And yet when the living room was unoccupied and I would marathon Buffy DVDs, he would either come home from work or come out of his room and park his ass in the recliner

Make comments about how shitty this was, how dumb that was

After all seven seasons I told him that he actually loved it and he was like "Yeah, yeah I know, it is actually pretty good"

• Options
    it's so obviously Hannigan i don't even know why you'd bother to debate it

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Hannigan didn't even approach maximum hotness until the first few seasons of How I Met Your Mother.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    False
    alyson-hannigan-wispy-bangs.jpg

She's not even a readhead on HIMYM.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I liked the Thanksgiving episode in season 4 when Xander got syphilis from a cursed Indian burial ground and Spike ruined thanksgiving dinner by bitching all day.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Also going back to season 1 and seeing the things they used to dress Willow in makes me wish we could build a time machine to send back a nuke and bomb the nineties.

• Options
    smof wrote: »
    Also going back to season 1 and seeing the things they used to dress Willow in makes me wish we could build a time machine to send back a nuke and bomb the nineties.

It's good to know she's seen the softer side of Sears

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have still not seen any of this other than by accident when I was a kid.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    neville wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    Welp, I guess I've got nothing better to do while I work on my satan thing

But seriously, what is with Cordelia's boobs in the OP
    I just noticed and started giggling.

And yes, we can definitely discuss Angel.
    The whole thing with Doyle, why he left the show, etc is something I really want to know more about than I've been able to read, but I understand it is really hard for the actors/Joss.

Also the fact that Andy Hallett died a few years ago is awful. I loved the shit out of Lorne. :-(

The whole Doyle thing from what I understand was just part of Joss' obsession with killing off a character in the opening credits right at the start of the show. He'd wanted Jesse to be in the opening credits of the very first episode of Buffy way back when.

I expect the issue was that that character role was originally going to be filled by the Whistler character from "Becoming" but the actor was unavailable so they created Doyle to fill the void for the 8 or so episodes they had planned for him.

And then they ended up becoming really good friends with the actor as it wont to happen and oh whoops time to kill you off now like we originally planned.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    also Buffy season 3 is one of the finest seasons of television ever crafted.

It is basically perfect, and there are only 2 bad episodes that entire season (which is a pretty insane quality ratio for a 22 episode season)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Which 2 episodes, Bale?

• Options
    Beauty and the Beasts is flat out awful.

Gingerbread is also pretty bad but almost redeems itself solely on the Xander/Oz crawling through the vents stuff and the stinger gag of Buffy asking "Did I get it?"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Sarah Michelle Gellar was so much hotter in early Buffy when she had some meat on her bones, as opposed to the wraith she became around season 5.

• Options
    We were not blessed with nearly enough Xander/Oz moments.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Yeah, I'd agree with that, I think it is mainly because they had found the formula that worked by the start of Angel, whereas the first couple of seasons of Buffy they kind of swung about a bit in tone and production value. There's some great stuff in those early seasons, but Angel felt a lot more consistent from the get-go for me.

I hope Neville is pleased with himself, my box sets are glaring at me from the corner now, I'm gonna end up watching everything again for the nth time.

It took Buffy until about halfway into season 2 to find it's footing. It basically becomes an entirely different show after Innocence.

Angel is similarly really rough in it's first season.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    the Mayor is the best Buffy villain by a wide margin

• Options
    the Mayor is the best Buffy villain by a wide margin

He really dosen't even need that qualifier.

The Mayor is one of the best tv villains ever

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I was trying to find some clips of my favourite funnies to post but there are surprisingly few clips of buffy on the tube. So just pretend I put something hilarious here and have this instead I guess

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYr0HMz7SeI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Doyle died before they could bring him back like they wanted to and Lorne was really sick so he left.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    also Buffy season 3 is one of the finest seasons of television ever crafted.

It is basically perfect, and there are only 2 bad episodes that entire season (which is a pretty insane quality ratio for a 22 episode season)

Season 3 was fantastic but my favorite 2 episodes were from season 2:
    The Halloween episode and the love spell episode.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    It's hard to rank the seasons because they're generally so good. I generally look at it as the great group (2, 3, 5), the pretty great group (4, 6, 7), and well, they had to start somewhere (1).

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Fun Fact: the "Mistakes" thread was originally going to be a Buffy thread. I was testing the poll options because I was going to create a poll for the thread where the answers were: Team Angel, Team Riley, Team Spike, Team Xander, or I Hate Shipping as a somewhat parody of the Twilight film that was about to come out. Of course, then I fucked up my test poll and never ended up making the thread.

On a related note, I've never really understood the Team Spike people. I was actually registered at a Buffy forum back when this was airing (BuffyGuide I think?) and remember there being so many Team Spike people. They did an entire episode in Season 4 showing why that relationship wouldn't work, but that only made them louder. Then they spent several episodes in Season 5 detailing why it wouldn't work and they only got even louder. Finally in Season 6 the writers relent and put them together but show that "This is a terrible relationship." Then in Season 7...
    ...Spike has his soul but they are barely together at all. Some of Spike's last words are even acknowledging that Buffy doesn't love him.

Yet somehow Team Spike has a large vocal fanbase.

Anyways, I had started watching this when it originally aired (started with I Robot, You Jane if I remember right) and followed it until the end.

I remember hating Season 4 and Adam and Riley and all that when it originally aired, but later when I rewatched it on dvd I found those things much better. Riley really didn't get a fair shake from the fanbase since he was viewed as an Angel replacement and people hate him for it. Of course, the show didn't help matters much when they hyped the Angel vs. Riley episode and then when it actually airs most of their scenes together have Angel either throwing Riley around like a rag doll or completely showing him up verbally.

I remember Tara got a lot of hate in Season 4 for replacing Oz, but most of that was gone by Season 6. Perhaps Riley just needed more time (though the actor that played Lindsey on Angel originally auditioned for Riley, I wonder what that would have been like if he had gotten it?).

Adam was actually pretty good too, he just didn't get the proper build-up (I think he has less screentime than any other Big Bad, even the Master who had a half-season). I've heard he was a last minute addition and that the original plan had Maggie Walsh being the Big Bad of Season 4 but that they were having some sort of problem with the actress or something so they killed her off and replaced her with her creation.

I still hate (most) of Season 6 and 7 though. Virtually every character goes to shit in those seasons. Except Tara (but then "Your shirt..."). I also wasn't a big fan of the Trio (hated Warren, didn't like Andrew which turned into hate for him in Season 7, and felt Jonathan had no business being part of a group that was actively working against Buffy). I also don't buy the backpedal excuse of "Life was the Big Bad in Season 6" because the characters were always having to balance real life with Slayer duties in all the prior seasons (except the last stretch of Season 5 where it basically turned into all Slayer duties).

My wife had never seen the show before, and recently we started watching a few random episodes to see if she wanted to watch the whole thing. She decided that she did, but instead of starting at the beginning she just wanted to continue from the episode we were currently watching (which was "Something Blue" in Season 4). As a result we watched the rest of Season 4 and then started on Season 5.

We recently got to "The Body" and now the Buffy-watch is on indefinite hiatus.

• Options
    team spike by himself
    not with buffy
    because buffy was horrible to him
    and angels a twat

• Options
    I basically totally lost interest when Buffy got her whole pack of mini-slayers to hang around with her.

Really liked Faith.

And whats with all the season 1 hate? I liked season 1.