As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thoughts about Armored Core 4?

124»

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Picked this up yesterday but really didn't get to mess around with it till this morning.

Cleared up through chapter 3 and all avaliable simulations so far. I picked up the Energy weapon based starting design and haven't looked back. Had a hard time in the simulations till I strapped on a plasma gun that does like 1,000ap of damage per hit.

I really like the little details this game has, like the thrusters on your back moving around to push you in the right direction. Still too scared to go online, want more parts first for sure.

Anyone know what's up with those stabilizer things? I have the computer set em up for me right now. What do they do? Balance out your mech so it performs better? What if I made like, the right side of my mech way heavier then the left?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man.

I really need to get a 360. D:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ok, Does the online portion suck or not? I need to know.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man, I need to get some giant robot anime music to stream while playing this game. Any suggestions?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can er.. suggest you some later. Aside from that, try anything out of Super Robot Wars.

I particularly like You get to Burning from Martian Successor Nadesico. :D

Online play is really kickass, just check out my earlier posts regarding it. As for Stabilizers, they help you realign your AC's center of mass, which is affected by the gear you use. It affects how quickly you turn, how out of whack you get when you get hit by a hard-hitting projectile, etc. That, and some of the Stabilizer pieces look just plain COOL.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dont mean to sound derisive. But mechs aside, this is still a shooter right? There is nothing simmy or strategic right? just blow stuff up and watch the pretty explosions?

at least is there a decent story attached?

VoodooV on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The story is almost nonexistant. Six companies rule the world, you're a mercenary for Anatolia, a nation working for one of the six companies, and you're out to take the other companies down.

It's a fast-paced mech shooter. REALLY fast paced. It's almost Zone of the Enders and Robotech/Macross-fast if you equip your AC with the right boosters and have a happy Quick Dodge trigger finger. It's INCREDUBLY strategic! Every last thing you install on your AC will have a significant effect on your overall performance. There's various ways to counter just about anything thrown at you.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I dont mean to sound derisive. But mechs aside, this is still a shooter right? There is nothing simmy or strategic right? just blow stuff up and watch the pretty explosions?

at least is there a decent story attached?

This is probably one of the more "simmy" mech shooters out there, at least going off of the previous AC titles. Your mechs are incredibly customizable, there are tons of stats to keep track of, etc.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Update on the whole stabilizer issue after doing a pinch of research:

If you keep your mech balanced, it has equal speed in all directions.

If you make your mech back heavy, it boosts forward faster but backwards slower. And vice versa if you make it front heavy.

If you make your mech left or right heavy it will rotate faster in the direction its not heavy, and slower in the direction that it is. I think it side steps faster to the side its heavier though, not really sure.

So that's really interesting, you could build a mech that favors going forward and turning right, could make for a real mean circle strafer, but if you had to turn left it would be annoying.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

If you make your mech back heavy, it boosts forward faster but backwards slower. And vice versa if you make it front heavy.

If you make your mech left or right heavy it will rotate faster in the direction its not heavy, and slower in the direction that it is. I think it side steps faster to the side its heavier though, not really sure.

So that's really interesting, you could build a mech that favors going forward and turning right, could make for a real mean circle strafer, but if you had to turn left it would be annoying.
    Just like NASCAR!

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just picked the game up today. I have no clue what the hell I'm doing WRT customizations. The controls take some getting used to. A lot of getting used to.

Epyon9283 on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    man, this game is almost too difficult.

im completely stuck at chapter 4, i cant get even close to completing any of the missions.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I bought this game yesterday, and I have to say, I'm having a real hard time wrapping my head around the process of building mechs. I played the armored core games, but something about how the way they now have the garage set up makes my head hurt.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I bought this game yesterday, and I have to say, I'm having a real hard time wrapping my head around the process of building mechs. I played the armored core games, but something about how the way they now have the garage set up makes my head hurt.

Yeah, they combined the garage and shop, and it's kinda confusing at first. If you want to actually just buy/sell parts, you need to use the X button menu.

Also, it'd be nice if the game was smart enough to sell unused parts to buy the parts you need when you load up a schematic. The whole schematic system is kindof a pain, really.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Man, there's no better feeling that tuning your ac with new parts and just handing the ass of the simular that just moments ago had been slaughtering you. Money can indeed buy happiness. Or at least in game happiness.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Spawn733Spawn733 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Hey Spawn. Make the title a [Game On!] already.

I'm getting online!

I noticed that's on the starcraft thread...what significance does Game On! have??

@ Kyougu: Your fingers are probably a little too big for it then lol, if so you might try just sticking with the original and being heavy with clicking the left thumbstick to help you keep your enemy focused on/targeted while u fire those guns!

@Inquisitor: I can tell you you're right about what you said lol, my AC is VERY back heavy (and equally moderate on all other sides)! And I noticed it had a hard time boosting backwards at all, so I actually just got some really powerful back boosters to compensate (though it really drains my energy when I go backwards now). My question to you is: Is this the ONLY difference I'll notice compared to when I'm perfectly centered?

Spawn733 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [Game On!] Lets us know what games we're actively playing online and such. It's a good attention grabber.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    WHY wrote: »

Just like NASCAR!

Zoolander mech

Xieflow on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Xieflow wrote: »
    WHY wrote: »

Just like NASCAR!

Zoolander mech

I laughed way too hard at that.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So uh...either I was retarded before, or there's a clear bug in the game, because suddenly, it's not so hard anymore.

Has anyone else noticed that within the ACIS, you can build a schematic with parts you don't have/can't afford? Granted, you can't leave the ACIS to do missions in an AC you don't own the parts for...but you *CAN* use the simulator.

See where I'm going with this?

I did every fight available in the simulator last night (as of Chapter 3), killing every single one with the best weapons I could equip, and now I'm swimming in cash, and have upgraded my mission AC with some kickass scatter missles, the 25k damage blade, and a few other nice things, and the game is suddenly not kicking my ass.

Is this intentional? Because it seems almost like cheating to be able to use ACs you can't afford to fight and earn money in the simulator.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So uh...either I was retarded before, or there's a clear bug in the game, because suddenly, it's not so hard anymore.

Has anyone else noticed that within the ACIS, you can build a schematic with parts you don't have/can't afford? Granted, you can't leave the ACIS to do missions in an AC you don't own the parts for...but you *CAN* use the simulator.

I did every fight available in the simulator last night (as of Chapter 3), killing every single one with the best weapons I could equip, and now I'm swimming in cash, and have upgraded my mission AC with some kickass scatter missles, the 25k damage blade, and a few other nice things, and the game is suddenly not kicking my ass.

Is this intentional? Because it seems almost like cheating to be able to use ACs you can't afford to fight and earn money in the simulator.

O.O

Well, I mean... it is a simulator. So it kind of makes sense that you can fight in something you can't afford. Because its not really happening.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

O.O

Well, I mean... it is a simulator. So it kind of makes sense that you can fight in something you can't afford. Because its not really happening.

I guess...but you're making real money (I think I made about 2 million), and getting real items from some fights.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's intentional. That's why unbought parts are "Data Only".

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's intentional. That's why unbought parts are "Data Only".

Does it get harder again? Because I definitely went from "Oh god, please stop with all the missles and the killing" to "Come get some, motherfuckers" from just doing those sim levels.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You can replay older missions in Hard Mode by pressing "X" once you beat the game. Or maybe you can already? Dunno. You'll need every last upgrade, that's for sure.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    DeadshotDeadshot Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My only issue with the game is that the AI has no clue how to fight an enemy that says up in the air the entire match, and since that has been my favourite strategy in every AC game this game is basically a cakewalk given the fact that you can now stay up in the air forever anyway.

Deadshot on
    o ok
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I made a proper [Game On!] thread, by the way.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    You can replay older missions in Hard Mode by pressing "X" once you beat the game. Or maybe you can already? Dunno. You'll need every last upgrade, that's for sure.

Yeah, it looks like you can do the hard version of missions once you finish a whole chapter (since I'm in 3, I can do hard mode chap 1 and 2 stuff, some of which is retardedly easy, like the freefalling mission)

Vincent Grayson on