As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] The most bafflingly awful collector's edition ever

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    By now it's pretty much established tradition for the Dead Space franchise to make ads or promotional material with shock value exclusively in mind. I thought they fired their marketing team a long time ago, but I guess the attention is too delicious to pass up.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    By now it's pretty much established tradition for the Dead Space franchise to make ads or promotional material with shock value exclusively in mind. I thought they fired their marketing team a long time ago, but I guess the attention is too delicious to pass up.

Dead Space /= Dead Island.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Sollah wrote: »
    this is all made especially gross when you bring into account how sexist the first game was. : /

The first one was sexist?

Well, let's just say that it should be tricky to browse google results for 'Dead Island' without coming across the phrase 'feminist whore'.

Hmm. I guess I didn't see it when I played the game multiple times... Seems like people need to take a chill pill when it comes to entertainment.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular

Dead Space's marketing was always a little odd (and the 'your mom's reactions!' ads were baffling), but they've never gone to this well.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    this is all made especially gross when you bring into account how sexist the first game was. : /

Well, let's just say that it should be tricky to browse google results for 'Dead Island' without coming across the phrase 'feminist whore'.

Hmm. I guess I didn't see it when I played the game multiple times... Seems like people need to take a chill pill when it comes to entertainment.

No, we really don't.

This is the absolute (current) apex of a pretty awful mountain of shitty attitudes towards and re: women that's pretty prevalent throughout the industry.

Telling people they need to 'take a chill pill' is dismissive of what is a serious problem and I don't feel like getting into it more than that in the Industry thread. If you're interested in further discussion look for the #1reasonwhy thread and take a read through.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So Majesco's fucked.
    Majesco announced today for its fourth quarter ending October 31, 2012, the company experienced a net loss of $2.7 million, compared to a $3.9 million loss the prior year. Revenues for the full year were up six percent to $132.3 million, but concluded with a net income of $4.6 million, down $2 million from last year.

The company also noted it has "implemented several initiatives to reduce fixed operating costs in favor of an outsourced, variable cost model." This included closing a studio in Foxboro, Massachusetts, and a reduction of game testing personnel in its New Jersey office.

Here's the quote from the company's financial report that will likely raise some eyebrows: "As a result of the weakness in demand for products on legacy console platforms and uncertainty around consumer adoption of the next generation of consoles, management is modifying its practice of providing quantitative fiscal year revenue and earnings guidance. Instead, for fiscal 2013, management is presenting a qualitative assessment of its outlook for financial results."

Boiled down, that means Majesco is no longer providing quantitative (a fancy word for numbers) guidance and is providing guidance based on a qualitative (um, warm fuzzy feelings?) assessment.

If this seems vaguely familiar, THQ did almost the same thing in November and its stock plummeted 50 percent the following day. Comparatively, Majesco's stock has dropped 30 percent to $0.74/share in after-hours trading. If the company doesn't pick that up, Nasdaq will be calling tomorrow with a delisting warning – but Majesco has dealt with that possibility on a couple occasions in the past.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/14/majesco-notes-closures-no-longer-providing-quantitative-guidanc/

Ergh. Then again, when was the last time any of us thought about Majesco?

Meanwhile, Guild Wars 2 has sold three million.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01/15/arenanet-sells-three-million-copies-of-guild-wars-2-looks-to-th/

And Sony is apparently going to sell the new Sly Cooper game for $40. Probably a good move, since it's coming out at the start of the Christmas II bloodbath and no one seems to give a shit about the game besides me. :( Frankly I'm a little amazed the game is being made.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/15/sly-cooper-thieves-in-time-pre-orders-for-40-includes-bonus/

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Briefly, for those unaware or forgot, a skill in the game for a female character that gives extra damage to male zombies was labeled 'feministwhorepurna' in the internal code. Before the game shipped it was changed outwardly to 'Gender Wars'. However, not all references to it were removed.

You weren't supposed to see it. Even as an inside joke, it's pretty horrible.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    But does the Sly Cooper game come with a bloody torso?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

You won't have seen it because it was a title for a skill that was discovered in the code. I think it was called 'Gender Wars' or something, but someone was rooting through the code and found it was originally named 'Feminist Whore'. They apologised and said everyone was very sorry for this, then went and stuck a battered, huge-titted bikini-wearing torso in the box for the sequel. They are, simply, misogynists.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I'm cautiously optimistic for new Sly Cooper. Probably more so if it were still being developed by Sucker Punch.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    But does the Sly Cooper game come with a bloody torso?

No, you're thinking of Sly Cougar.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Ergh. Then again, when was the last time any of us thought about Majesco?

Some of us want something more than a cell-shaded, side-scrolling, (over-hyphenated), hack-n-slash.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »

No, we really don't.

This is the absolute (current) apex of a pretty awful mountain of shitty attitudes towards and re: women that's pretty prevalent throughout the industry.

Telling people they need to 'take a chill pill' is dismissive of what is a serious problem and I don't feel like getting into it more than that in the Industry thread. If you're interested in further discussion look for the #1reasonwhy thread and take a read through.

I'm not on the "calm down" side, but I disagree. I do not feel this way about women. I do not act like it. I do not joke about it. People are equals to me and that's that. However, that #1reasonwhy thread is worthless (other than for general conversation). You cannot change the way people think. They don't care. They just. don't. care. So I will continue to live intelligently and the gamers that actually, truly think games are trying to accurately teach you how to treat women can continue to be single forever and wonder why. Nothing anytime soon will change idiots' minds about gender, race, etc. so why in the hell should *I* bother? This isn't an issue of inaction. It's an issue of time. This is just another thing humans have to "get over."

That line of code in Dead Island is bullshit, though, and had no place being in a professional product like that. Had I known about it I wouldn't have nabbed the game during the last Steam sale on principle.

• Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular

the story's treatment of jin was pretty awful. and, yeah, the "feminist whore" thing as well.

palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

That is shockingly dismissive of you urahonky, come on dude.

• Options
    Kryhs wrote: »

No, we really don't.

I'm not on the "calm down" side, but I disagree. I do not feel this way about women. I do not act like it. I do not joke about it. People are equals to me and that's that. However, that #1reasonwhy thread is worthless (other than for general conversation). You cannot change the way people think. They don't care. They just. don't. care. So I will continue to live intelligently and the gamers that actually, truly think games are trying to accurately teach you how to treat women can continue to be single forever and wonder why. Nothing anytime soon will change idiots' minds about gender, race, etc. so why in the hell should *I* bother? This isn't an issue of inaction. It's an issue of time. This is just another thing humans have to "get over."

That line of code in Dead Island is bullshit, though, and had no place being in a professional product like that. Had I known about it I wouldn't have nabbed the game during the last Steam sale on principle.

Cool. You continue to throw up your hands and say 'nope, too hard' and I'll continue to work on it within the industry as well as with the various contacts I have in the gaming media.

And I am officially done with this line of discussion. For realsies this time.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular

That's me being a derp and mixing up the two because I was watching the Dead Space 3 Game Grumps episode while pulling up the figurine in another tab, true story.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Is that why 'CastratingManHater' was removed from Jack's code?

• Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular

No, we really don't.

Cool. You continue to throw up your hands and say 'nope, too hard' and I'll continue to work on it within the industry as well as with the various contacts I have in the gaming media.

Not participating because something is "too hard" and not participating because it won't matter are two different things. Work to remove all of the perceived anti-woman content you want. People are still going to feel the same way whether games teach them to or not. This is easily an issue of not seeing the forest for the trees.

But if you just simply want the industry to be better about this sort of thing in general then by all means, godspeed.

• Options

That's me being a derp and mixing up the two because I was watching the Dead Space 3 Game Grumps episode while pulling up the figurine in another tab, true story.

I figured that was the case, just wanted to make sure you hadn't genuinely crossed the two games over!

forumsig.png
  • Options

No, we really don't.

I don't understand what was in Dead Island 1 that could be construed as "sexist"? I remember killing a bunch of zombies as a woman.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular

I am of the same opinion. Dead Island is firmly in the gore splattered horror genre for me. Looking at films in this genre, what makes them? Tits and gore. Sure, it's tacky as hell but sometimes I like tacky.

That said I haven't really played that much in to the first game, so for all I know you spend the later part of it beating up women.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    One of the underlying names for one of the female character's skills was "FeministWhore" -- something that is obviously awful and in regular circumstances would have never even been seen by the general public, except they botched the shit out of their PC launch of the game and included complete source of the game with it. Once it got discovered, it was pretty quickly patched out and I think they issued a public apology.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Definitely one of the top 5 tackiest things I've seen come in a CE, and over the years there has been some stiff competition.

But yeah, who would display that? And it's just as creepy if you hide it. You can't win.

• Options
    Okay so because one douchebag developer named a skill "Femistwhore" that makes the entire game full of sexist references?

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular

No, we really don't.

Not participating because something is "too hard" and not participating because it won't matter are two different things. Work to remove all of the perceived anti-woman content you want. People are still going to feel the same way whether games teach them to or not. This is easily an issue of not seeing the forest for the trees.

But if you just simply want the industry to be better about this sort of thing in general then by all means, godspeed.

If someone feels uncomfortable being part of a community as a result of near-constant mistreatment and/or neglect, there's a world of difference between being abused by 80% of the community and supported by 20% and being abused by 80% and ignored by 20%. A friendly vocal minority is a heck of a lot more welcoming than nobody, and if you choose to never speak up then you're nobody to those people regardless of how many nice things you say about them behind their backs.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    But I see this topic is especially toxic so I'm going to drop it in favor of not putting a lot of crap in the Industry thread.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I like to imagine that the whole feministwhore thing was some men's right activist's impotent raging against a black woman being the most effective and powerful character in the whole game.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular

You weren't offended by an internal code that you didn't see whilst playing the game? You monster!

As for that collector's edition bonus, it's hard to tell if the thought process was trying to create something that people wanted or if they were just trying to create something that would generate controversy and give the game lots of free advertizing. I suspect the latter, but there is that saying about confusing incompetence for malice...

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Your entire paragraph not only is wrong but also the worst sort of immature bullshit.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Your entire paragraph not only is wrong but also the worst sort of immature bullshit.

That's not really helpful to say though, is it? You both probably need to be more specific if you want this to be fruitful at all.

What constitutes successfully changing the way people think? Changing the way everyone thinks? Changing the way 50% of the people think to the point where you've achieved a majority? Changing the way that the people whose opinions matter think? What's a success here?

You're probably both right on your own metrics, but nobody has specified, so it ends up cluttering up the thread and achieving nothing.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Guys, Please don't take the industry thread away from me again.

I agree the subject is very important, but I think there are other threads for this discussion.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

That's not really helpful to say though, is it? You both probably need to be more specific if you want this to be fruitful at all.

Uh, no. No I don't. The opposite of his opinions are true; his are not. The #1reasonwhythread is not worthless, you CAN change the way people think, people DO care.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Not gonna muck up the thread! We need 50ccs of Angry Birds teaming up with Zynga, stat!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I find it funny we're getting a repeat of the "Me First" for console announcements that we got eight years ago.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So the Disney Infinity announcement event is going down, and as expected, it's basically Disney Skylanders. (Not in gameplay, but in the use of RFID toys.)

Which is great, because while I'd like to play Skylanders, I have no interest in the toys themselves.

But little miniature Mike & Sully and Incredibles figures? I can display those on my shelf without issue.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Not gonna muck up the thread! We need 50ccs of Angry Birds teaming up with Zynga, stat!

I'll do better. Disney Infinity details are coming out on Twitter. And it's a mashup that doesn't mess around. Confirmed characters are from Toy Story, Incredibles, Monsters Inc./University, Frankenweenie, Wreck-It-Ralph, Nightmare Before Christmas, Pirates of the Caribbean and.... Phineas and Ferb. Goddamn.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Huh, if Wreck it Ralph is going to be there wonder if Bowser might show up.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So the Disney Infinity announcement event is going down, and as expected, it's basically Disney Skylanders. (Not in gameplay, but in the use of RFID toys.)

Which is great, because while I'd like to play Skylanders, I have no interest in the toys themselves.

But little miniature Mike & Sully and Incredibles figures? I can display those on my shelf without issue.

1643.jpg

1642.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I would totally get a couple of those minis for display and not even get the game.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
This discussion has been closed.