As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Have I Ever Told You The Definition of Inanity? [FarCry3]

1141516171820»

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Doesn't make him any less shitty an antagonist

He's a great antagonist. He's just a shitty murderer.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Here's how I see it
    Vaas gives you a chance to run at the game's start, confident that stupid white boy Jason will die in the jungle anyway. For fun. Fair enough.
    Then he catches you in the cave, puts you in a house which he sets on fire, pretty sure that that does it and will serve as a lesson to anyone else who wants to challenge him ("The only way to kill you is to erase you completely.") At that point he hasn't yet failed to kill him.
    Catches Jason again, getting considerably more frustrated at him. Gives him a speech about how fucking annoyed he is that Jason just won't die - said speech implies Vaas, Jason and the player are all going insane. He's at a point where he's doing mass executions of captured Rakyat, and tosses Jason in with the rest, possibly as a message that yes, he was a warrior, but just one of many and didn't deserve martyrdom.
    Jason escapes AGAIN, at which point Vaas just walks up to him and shoots him point blank in the chest. The final "Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?" is meant to imply that Vaas has learned his lesson and won't make the same mistake again. Poetic irony, the bullet is stopped by the lighter that Vaas himself put there. Vaas has no way of knowing this.
    Jason is an unreliable narrator for the final encounter with Vaas and therefore nothing that happens in it can be taken at face value. Inconclusive. At this point Jason has brought himself down to Vaas' level and is fulfilling the definition of insanity. "You are me, and I am you".

Yes there's a lot of criticism that can be leveled against the story, but Vaas' actions are one thing which I'll stand here and defend because it's such a great progression.

sig.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    SimBen, if you guys got shots for 10/10s, do you get whole handles when you come back for GOTYs

Because http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/24/magnificent-and-important-advent-calendar-day-24/

6F32U1X.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Lots of great games have had pretty ordinary stories.

Doom, for example. It almost didn't have a story at all - you're a marine fighting demons on the moon. That's it. And yet it is probably one of the greatest first person shooters ever.

Farcry 3 might have some wonky story points and tread the well-worn path of the "savior white man", but that doesn't stop it being an excellent game that is heaps of fun to play and very well put together. If the faults with the game are a big enough problem that they make you not enjoy playing it, then I am sorry for your loss.

I'm going to go and fight some pirates on a tropical island now.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    SimBen, if you guys got shots for 10/10s, do you get whole handles when you come back for GOTYs

Because http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/24/magnificent-and-important-advent-calendar-day-24/

That is the best screenshot ever.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Lots of great games have had pretty ordinary stories.

Doom, for example. It almost didn't have a story at all - you're a marine fighting demons on the moon. That's it. And yet it is probably one of the greatest first person shooters ever.

Farcry 3 might have some wonky story points and tread the well-worn path of the "savior white man", but that doesn't stop it being an excellent game that is heaps of fun to play and very well put together. If the faults with the game are a big enough problem that they make you not enjoy playing it, then I am sorry for your loss.

I'm going to go and fight some pirates on a tropical island now.

For any story faults the game has, of which there are many, nothing can take away that this is probably the most flat-out fun game this year

Walking Dead, XCOM, and Journey are all incredible games that nobody would ever dare call 'fun'

Stuff like Borderlands 2, Far Cry 3, and Sleeping Dogs are just pure joy to play

6F32U1X.png
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Here's how I see it
    Vaas gives you a chance to run at the game's start, confident that stupid white boy Jason will die in the jungle anyway. For fun. Fair enough.
    Then he catches you in the cave, puts you in a house which he sets on fire, pretty sure that that does it and will serve as a lesson to anyone else who wants to challenge him ("The only way to kill you is to erase you completely.") At that point he hasn't yet failed to kill him.
    Catches Jason again, getting considerably more frustrated at him. Gives him a speech about how fucking annoyed he is that Jason just won't die - said speech implies Vaas, Jason and the player are all going insane. He's at a point where he's doing mass executions of captured Rakyat, and tosses Jason in with the rest, possibly as a message that yes, he was a warrior, but just one of many and didn't deserve martyrdom.
    Jason escapes AGAIN, at which point Vaas just walks up to him and shoots him point blank in the chest. The final "Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?" is meant to imply that Vaas has learned his lesson and won't make the same mistake again. Poetic irony, the bullet is stopped by the lighter that Vaas himself put there. Vaas has no way of knowing this.
    Jason is an unreliable narrator for the final encounter with Vaas and therefore nothing that happens in it can be taken at face value. Inconclusive. At this point Jason has brought himself down to Vaas' level and is fulfilling the definition of insanity. "You are me, and I am you".

Yes there's a lot of criticism that can be leveled against the story, but Vaas' actions are one thing which I'll stand here and defend because it's such a great progression.
    the lighter save was my breaking point. The definition of insanity speech could cover a couple of those screwups, but the lighter thing was just too fucking dumb (and also lazy)

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    That Alec guy in the RPS article comes off as a total cunt

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    You know what kind of game will never get made?

The kind where you escape something like this and spend every night crying in a filthy storm drain.

Eating fruit you find and hoping it doesn't give you explosive diarrhea.

Stealing clothes off a local's clothesline because the shit is infecting your chafed crotch.

Crawling a hundred yards a day past an enemy encampment to stow away on a boat that's going to only god fucking knows where.

Good games will never be made due to our overriding need to be a hero or else feel like a little bitch.

I could see this as a point and click adventure.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    @SimBen

If you guys are taking suggestions for DLC:

A new island. With 150 towers and 300 bases.

That's all.

Faix gets it

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    That Alec guy in the RPS article comes off as a total cunt

He can't be that bad...
    I respectfully disagree with everyone else. The protoplasmic, Shoggothian mouths of the RPS hivemind often bite each other in disagreement behind the scenes, but this site’s democratically-chosen game of the year was perhaps the first instance where I felt alienated by the honorifics of my esteemed colleagues.

Okay fuck that dude.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Man

There is a good way and a bad way to do an unreliable narrator.

Far Cry 3 does it in probably the worst ways I've ever seen.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Alec wrote some pretty hurtful stuff. But I still agree with him. While it's not on the bottom of the list, I would hardly say this is GOTY. At all. Ever.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    talking to a girl on tumblr about if this game is sexist for it's portrayal of Jason's girlfriend being totally useless

she didn't know about Citra though so

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    Uh

All your friends in the game are totally useless

Why center on Jason's girlfriend unless you're looking for sexism that isn't really there

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    yeah i told her about how all of your friends in that game are super useless and dumb and constantly need rescuing and then she was like "yeah i guess i mean i'm just watching my brother play this it's not like i've seen the whole thing and the scene where she gets tied up and almost burnt alive just sorta bothered me"

so yeah her heart is in the right place at least

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I have played next to none of the story for this game.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    If anything the only somewhat useful one is the blonde girl.

• chidonachidona Registered User regular
    So I've just blasted through Far Cry 2 after picking it up in a steam sale last year for £2.50 or something stupid. While I liked the combat and general feel of everything, the story was the largest let-down ever, with you being thrust into the game with fuck-all exposition apart from a single paragraph on a character-select screen (the character you pick doesn't even make any tangible difference), told you've got malaria and then doing a bunch of random missions. While it begins to cohere near the end, it's all too little too late.

How's Far Cry 3 on the story scale? I don't care if it's particularly good or not, but is there any narrative momentum in it at all, or does it have a really strong start followed by you doing seemingly random things before coming together haphazardly at the end? Also, does it deal with the stupid infinite respawning outposts of 2, as well as the inane mega trips between missions?

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    chidona wrote: »
    How's Far Cry 3 on the story scale? I don't care if it's particularly good or not, but is there any narrative momentum in it at all, or does it have a really strong start followed by you doing seemingly random things before coming together haphazardly at the end? Also, does it deal with the stupid infinite respawning outposts of 2, as well as the inane mega trips between missions?

I can only answer part of this so far.

The infinite respawning outposts are gone, plus there are friendlies out and about so you aren't getting shot by every single person you see once you leave a safe area. And the fast travel system has been HUGELY improved.

I loved 2 and this one has fixed many of the issues that game had (or at least the issues I had with it).

Oh yeah, the wildlife isn't just a minor background distraction this time.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Enemy camps are the worst thing in FarCry 2 and the best thing in FarCry 3, they learned their lesson on that one

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    So I think I hit the point in the plot where things go full stupid.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Aww man I'm trying to liberate this one outpost now for like ten goes, and I keep getting my shit pushed in. I disable the alarm without anyone noticing, I sneaky knife kill the only two of the eleven guys I can do that to without anyone else noticing, I let the dogs out of their cage whence they are promptly and efficiently killed by the pirates who now somehow exactly know where I am and are all coming for me, molotov cocktails and assault rifles blazing.

I've tried running around in the distance with my sniper rifle trying to pick them off, I've tried running in with an LMG and spraying the fuck out of everything with hot lead, I've tried being all tactical and engaging one or two at a time with my AK...

No Ice Cube, I'm not having a good day!

Fuck it imma come back with a damn rocket launcher and show you fucks what's what.

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    talking to a girl on tumblr about if this game is sexist for it's portrayal of Jason's girlfriend being totally useless

she didn't know about Citra though so

but the point is that you and your friends are rich white people out of your element and you're going nuts and disconnecting from them because of it