Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 5E] Playtest of Chaos (Game Thread)

DenadaDenada Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Critical Failures
The Playtest of Chaos
a playtest of the D&D Next rules using the Caves of Chaos adventure

Welcome to the game thread! This is where the players will be playing and I will be DMing. Before we get underway with the adventure, allow me to list what optional rules are being used:

Character Creation:
  • All stat generation options are available.
  • All Race and Class options are available.
  • All Background and Specialty options are available.

Play:
  • Optional Rule: Slow Recovery will not be in use.
  • Experimental Rule 1: Rests will not be in use.
  • Experimental Rule 2: Healing and Rests will not be in use.
  • Experimental Rule: Maximum Number of Attuned Items will be in use.
  • Experimental Rule: Test of Wills will be in use.
  • Optional Rule: Mixing Potions will be in use.
  • Optional Rule: Scroll Mishaps will be in use.
  • I will not be using maps or a grid. Nooooope, gonna use a grid.

Got all that? Now on to the mechanics of actually posting in this PbP game:
  • Try to post at least once a day, unless your character isn't actively involved in whatever happens to be going on at the time. If you don't post, I will assume you have lost interest or died or something and I will replace you with the next person on the list (if there is one). If there isn't another person on the list, I'll just kill your character or something. I don't know.
  • Make your rolls on Invisible Castle or Orokos.
  • Out of Character (OOC) text should be in DarkGrey text. Don't use spoilers.
  • Make sure you have easy access to your character sheet. I will not be keeping track of it for you. I will be keeping track of combat-relevant numbers, but that's it.

Okay, now that that's all out of the way, let's get on with it. My next post will be the start of the adventure.

Denada on
«13456711

Posts

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    For reasons that are not entirely important to anyone but you, the five of you have been assembled into a team. You have been sent out from the Keep on a mission of grave importance: find the Caves of Chaos, and kill the evil inhabitants. The Lord of the Keep has made it very clear that if you wish to be able to leave this land, you must fulfill your mission first.

    It is with that burden that you began your travels.

    You have been passing through the forest for some time, as it grows denser and gloomier, until the misshapen trees and grasping briars suddenly give way to a ravine. Its walls—dark, streaked rock mingled with earth—rise steeply to either side to a height of about 100 feet. Clumps of trees, some dead, stand even on the slopes. The opening you are in is about 200 feet wide, and the ravine runs at least 400 feet west. At varying heights on all sides of the ravine are the mouths of caves. The sunlight is dim and the air is dank, with the oppressive feeling of something evil watching. A flock of ravens rises croaking from the ground, the terrain magnifying the beat of their wings and their cries into a horrible sound. Among the litter of rubble, boulders, and dead wood on the ravine floor, you can see bones of humanoids, animals, and other creatures.

    You have discovered the Caves of Chaos.

    So yeah, there you are. There are numerous caves visible from where you're standing. The closest one is on your left, about a hundred feet away.

  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

    Do any of us know any rumors or other info about the Caves of Chaos or should we play our characters as if they are going in here totally blind?

    Since it is an at-will, Archibald will be casting mage armor whenever it expires so as it is always on.

    If for some reason you guys are ever waiting for me to post my action for combat just assume Archibald does the following to keep things moving:
    1) If he can catch 2 or more enemies in a Burning Hands cast that
    2) Else if any enemies are in melee range use a Shocking Grasp on one
    3) Else if any enemies are within 15 feet use Burning Hands on one
    4) Otherwise fire (or reload as needed) the light crossbow


    Looks like Things are about to go down. I would suggest we form up for combat as this place just reeks of an ambush zone.

    My advice would be two ranks with Bruce the Mad, Kal Ratha and Blank in front and Grogni and myself behind. Kal Ratha and Blank especially should keep their eyes peeled for traps.

    Everyone get any ranged weapons ready while we are outside as we may be able to get off a volley before any hostiles can get close.

    Archibald is looking around to see if there are any places outside the obvious cave mouths where an ambush might be waiting that we can see from our current location.

    If there really are monsters in these caves they probably have gaurds watching us.

    RiemannLives on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    As a bit of general knowledge that everyone knows, the Caves of Chaos are notorious for being filled with monsters and all sorts of evil things. No one goes there on purpose, and anyone that goes there on accident usually doesn't come back.

    Go ahead and roll an Intelligence check to see if you know anything else about the caves. It's up to you to decide if one of your Skills might apply, and if you think it does, call out what Skill you're adding and add the bonus to your check. If I disagree about adding the skill I'll just subtract the bonus before describing the result, although that's not likely to happen very often.

    Denada on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I'll scout up to the entrance. As I sneak up I'll draw my Short Bow and nock an arrow. Keeping my eyes open for guards and traps.

    Stealthing to the entrance of the first cave.: 1d20+6 7

    Skill Mastery: 1d4 3

    Poorly...Total of 10.
    FYI- I didn't expect this to happen so quickly, and I'm on the way to a LARP for the weekend.

    Nealneal on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I ruminate on anything I might have learned about the Caves of Chaos. I don't think Arcana really applies so going straight Int
    1d20+4=17

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I'm going to throw up mage armor and get myself a nature check here.

    1d20+3=11

    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Archibald: If the things you've heard and read are true, than the caves are home to a wide variety of evil species, from goblins, to kobolds, to trolls. How all these monsters live in such close proximity without killing each other is anyone's guess, though some theories posit that there is a cult somewhere in the caves that keeps them all in check, perhaps uniting all of them under the banner of an even greater evil.

    Whatever the case may be, it is generally accepted that the weaker species live on the bottom levels.

    Kal Ratha: The lack of trees or other foliage between you and the nearest cave mouth make it difficult to conceal your movements. Fortunately, you don't see anyone outside of or immediately inside the cave mouth. There are many footprints here, leading both in and out of the cave. The cave is dimly lit at best, and you can only see about 30 feet into it before it branches off into three different directions.

    Grogni: The caves appear natural, though it's obvious that humanoids live around here. Piles of trash, waste, dead bodies, and other tell-tale signs of evil creatures living in the area are numerous. You're somewhat surprised that the ravine isn't in worse shape, considering how small it is and how many monsters supposedly live here.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Also don't worry about being gone. No posting is expected from anyone (including me) during the weekend.

  • LeperLeper Registered User regular
    "Just Bruce'll do," the large man replies cheerfully, but with the merest hint of pique slipping into his heavily accented voice. "An' sure, ts'a smart enough plan for now, but try not to draw overmuch attention to yoorselves... yet."

    His peice said, Bruce draws a brightly painted war boomerang from a holster on his leg and begins moving quietly forward amongst the rubble, taking note of his surroundings as he goes.

    Bruce uses his passable tracking skills to get a lay of the land and an idea of any recent activity. [1d20+0+3]=17+3=20
    Bruce uses his Sneak skill to be sneaky.[1d20+2+3]=17+5=22

    Dammit. I'm 'wasting' my good rolls on out of combat crap. ;-)

    If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    Why does everyone keep calling me Blank? My name is Doter, noone ever listens to the halfings huh. "Gotta be this tall to speak hehehe..." grow up guys. I'll check to see if the locals setup any traps near the entrence.

    Not sure what to roll here, i don't seem to have any spot or peering skills trained, but my disable device is good. I will however check my folklore knowledge about he caves themselves

    5+d20 = 6; looks like i rolled a 1 so...probably nothing. I think i may even feel a head ache for trying...
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3807251/

  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Archibald follows Bruce and Doter up to the cave mouth. If Bruce doesn't notice any foes outside on the way there then at the cave mouth I'll get out my hooded lantern and light it (bright light in 30' radius and dim light in 60')

    RiemannLives on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Grugni will, of course, fall in-line with the rest.

    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    You approach the cave mouth, some more cautiously than others. You don't detect any enemies or traps there. After a few moments Archibald lights his lantern, casting the interior of the cave in sharp relief. A corridor extends straight ahead for roughly 60 feet, branching to the right and left after about 20 feet. The floor of the cave is covered in a thick layer of dirt and grime, where you can see hundreds of footprints going in every conceivable direction. There are even some on the wall.

    The corridor is obviously well used and frequently traveled, but you don't see anyone there right now.

  • LeperLeper Registered User regular
    Bruce pores over the ground as more studious individuals might a book, then squints back at his companions as he erupts in a frenetic series of hand gestures that make no sense to anyone.

    Eating grapes. Drinky-drinky. Humpty-hump. Rockin' goat. ...self pleasuring. Some sortof... fist thing. Point.

    No thieves' cant... Bruce just figures it's obvious what he means.

    If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Kal Ratha stays low and slow; quietly moving forward along the right hand wall. He's keeping his eyes peeled for the first sign of whatever made all these tracks. As he moves along, he tries to guess what that might be.

    Stealth + Skill Mastery: 1d20+1d4+6 17

    Attempt to determine what might be making these tracks.: 1d20+2 17 (Raw Intelligence roll.)

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The filth, tiny feet, and general chaotic-ness of the tracks could only mean one thing: goblins. As if on cue, four goblins come running up the left-hand passage. They spot your light, which leads them to spot the five of you, which leads them to shout "Bree-Yark!" before drawing their shortbows.

    Roll Initiative!

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Initiative: 1d20+3 14

  • LeperLeper Registered User regular
    Bruce is so caught up in his wild gesticulating that he doesn't realize the reason for his signaling has set upon the party already.

    Initiative: 1d20+4=6

    If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    initiative!: 1d20+2 20

    Grugni is on the fucking ball despite not having his morning drink.

    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Init: 1d20+6=11

    Archibald yells "Hold the entrance and don't chase them if they flee! We don't know how many more are in there.

    RiemannLives on
  • texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    init: 23
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3811799/

    Bruce, I need to hear the pop of your head coming out of your ass, Goblins YO!

    sorry it took so long, had to work late. Should be on time now though.

    texasheat on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Round 1

    The goblins are obviously intent on killing you, or at least trying their very hardest to kill you. But they're not as fast as they are vicious, so Doter and Grugni get the chance to take the first shots.

    Doter - HP 8/8 - AC 14
    Status: Normal.
    Grugni - HP 9/9 - AC 12
    Status: Normal.
    Kal Ratha - HP 6/6 - AC 14
    Status: Normal.
    Stub-Nose - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Status: Normal.
    One-Ear - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Status: Normal.
    Wood-Foot - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Status: Normal.
    Face-Paint - HP 3/3 - AC 13
    Status: Normal.
    Archibald - HP 8/8 - AC 12(14)
    Status: Mage Armor (+2 AC).
    Bruce - HP 12/12 - AC 16
    Status: Normal.

    Up First: @texasheat

  • texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I move intto range exactly 20 feet from the closest goblin. I throw my dagger.

    Dagger throw: 19
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3812272/

    Dmg: 6
    http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3812274/

    I claim First blood in the name of the the thiefs guild!

    texasheat on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The goblin with a stubby nose takes a dagger to the heart, dropping him like a goblin with a dagger in its heart.

    @Der Waffle Mous is up next.

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Moving into position by the hallway entrance, I fumble for a bottle and take a swig, and then blow a gout of flame out of my mouth as soon as they charge close enough.

    Dex saves vs. burning hands! A delayed action might be necessary, I don't know. Yay theatre of the mind!

    Der Waffle Mous on
    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    You can move close enough to catch all three of them in the spell's area of effect. If you want to wait for them to come to you, you can, but keep in mind that they all have bows drawn, so they're probably going to shoot you instead of charge you. With that in mind I'll assume you just move close enough to burn them now. Correct me if I assume incorrectly.

    Dex Saves: One-Ear and Face-Paint fail their saves and take 6 damage, which kills them. Wood-Foot makes his save, but still takes half damage, which is 3, which is enough to kill him anyway.


    The goblins crowding the hallway display a startling lack of tactical acumen, bunching themselves up nicely for Grugni's gout of flame. All of them die for their mistake, even the one with a wooden foot, who was surprisingly agile for having a wooden foot.

    Another pair of goblins come running up the hallway with bows in hand, but upon spotting the flaming bodies of their family on the floor of the corridor, they turn and run in the opposite direction.

    Well, that takes care of that. This combat encounter is over, and everyone gets 12 XP.

  • texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    Oh...well..that works too i guess. At least theres light in this halway for now...I'll just take this *picks up thrown dagger*

    If there's any loot on the bodies i'll take that too. I can fence anything to the guild...

  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Which hallway did the goblins run down? Also, would it be possible to describe things in terms of compass directions cause I think left vs right is going to get confusing depending on orientation.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    "Well played Short 'n Stout. Not sure the wizzes back home teach a Rum Breath spell, but I have to say I'm a fan."

    Kal Ratha moves up to cover the western path, putting his back against the eastern wall.

    It's an open area, so I'm figuring Stealth is out of the question.

    Nealneal on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Archibald will move into position so that if any goblins come into view from the direction the 2 just fled into he can blast them with burning hands. Then hold action and get ready to ambush them.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Yeah, cardinal directions would probably be best. The cave entrance is on the southern side of the ravine. Standing at the entrance facing the interior of the cave, you would be facing South. The entrance branches into three corridors. One continues south and then dead-ends, one goes west, and one goes south-east. The two goblins that fled in abject terror at the sight of their brothers' immolated corpses fled back down the south-west corridor.

    The goblins' bodies are still in fire, but if you want to put them out to loot them you can certainly attempt to do so. No check necessary, just figure out a way to put out the fire.

  • LeperLeper Registered User regular
    "Waste o' good hooch, says I," Bruce adds as he moves forward and looses his flail--if screaming, combusting goblins haven't roused attention, the clank of the chain surely won't.

    "Glad me warnin' paid oof."


    "looses his flail" is not a euphamism ... this time.

    If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    If i have time, i'll put the fires out with my cooking utensils, surely a spatula and pot holder will work....at the very least i'd like to loot the stabbed one...

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    "Check 'em all Dot. Probably only a few coppers, but that's copper we didn't have before the revelation of the greatest magic I've ever seen."

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    "And quit flapping at them with that spoon. Use your blanket or bedroll to smother the flames."

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Okay, that's good enough.

    After spending a few minutes putting out the flames and looting the bodies, you find broken shortbows, charred arrows that are no longer usable, four crude (and burned) but still functional maces, some bags of something resembling food, and a total of 12 silver pieces and 18 copper pieces.

    The shouts from further inside the cave have died down, and all is quiet now.

    Denada on
  • texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    OK big'n, your up. Let's follow those goblins...carefully. There's likely an ambush party ahead. So...you know...take point or whatever...i'll just be back here...bringing up the rear.

    texasheat on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    "Moving on then."

    Kal will start moving down the hallway, following after the two goblins who ran off. He'll be keeping an eye out for traps and potential ambush areas. He'll be moving as quietly as possible from shadow to shadow, staying out of Archibald's lantern light.

    Stealth + Skill Mastery: 1d20+1d4+6 23

    Nealneal on
  • texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
«13456711
Sign In or Register to comment.