Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[D&D 5E] Playtest of Chaos (Game Thread)

1567810

Posts

  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    Well, time to go balls out.

    Seeing the mummy weakened (and since Denada didn't mention the mummy getting up) Xi is gonna try to finish it off. Barreling forwards to C12, Xi takes a mighty leap and raises both arms:

    "CHIMPANZEE SAVAGES RED COLOBUS!"

    2 dice spent for 2 extra attacks via flurry of blows

    flurry attack 1 (with advantage for enemy being prone) : 1d20+9 = 20, 16
    flurry attack damage (4 MDD) : 1d6+4d6+5+15 = 34 damage

    flurry attack 2 (with advantage for enemy being prone) : 1d20+9 = 14, 24
    flurry attack damage : 1d6+5 = 11 damage

    though technically the mummy would fall at the combined 45 damage of the first 2 blows, Xi stays committed to punching this sac of corpse even though it doesn't really matter!

    Flurry attack 3 (with advantage for enemy being prone) :1d20+9 = 21, 29 CRIT!
    flurry attack damage : 1d6(maxed for 6)+5+1d6= 12 damage

    the mummy's body lies unmoving in it's casket as Xi keeps beating on it.

    next up is @Der Waffle Mous

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    That's a total of 28 damage after its resistance, so it's not dead yet.

    But yeah @Der Waffle Mous is up.

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    "GODS DAMMIT STAY DOWN!"

    attack roll + damage (dagger+1): 1d20+9 24

    damage (Dagger +1): 1d4+21+6d6 43 (21)

    Der Waffle Mous on
    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    @Denada those things have resistance? one moment while i read back over the thread...

    yup, resistance was mentionned.

    dang.

    in a blatant attempt to try to save myself by the skin of my teeth, in the i'll mention that the monk's level 2 ability "undaunted strike" says my unarmed strike counts as being magical, adamantine, cold iron, and silver for the purposes of overcoming resistance. does the resistance still half it?

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    K. Now he's dead.

    The naga appears annoyed at the death of the mummies. "Ugh," it sighs, and rolls its eyes. "Alright. Let us talk this out. There is no need for more violence."

    N1 readies an action just in case you decide to attack instead of talk.

  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    phew. potential crisis averted.

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The resistance still applied to your monk strikes, yeah. There isn't any way to overcome it other than to use an attack that isn't piercing, bludgeoning, or slashing.

  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    double dang, dawg :shock:. nasty. so the only way to overcome it is by hitting it with a non-weapon based attack, since all weapons deal either P/B/D damage. this dungeon really does not like martial types, does it?

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    It really, really doesn't.

    But anyway it's technically @Chrysis 's turn. Do you want to attack or hear what the naga has to say?

    Denada on
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I'm inclined to punch its lights out, but if there are any dissenters in the next little while I can hold back.

    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Bastard poisoned me. I'm killing it.

    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    notice the "phew" was in gray.

    Xi is very much hurting, and while a small part of him would like to ask "WHO IN THEIR RIGHT BLOODY MIND FILLS A TOMB WITH SILLY PUZZLES AND DEATH TRAPS?!" and "HOW DO YOU SURVIVE IN THIS AREA BEREFT OF FOOD, OR DO YOU FEAST ON THE REMAINS OF CORPSES? I CAN GUIDE YOU TO ONE IF YOU WISH IT SO." that part is, again, rather small and standing in the very large shadow cast by the much more massive part that goes "GARGLEGARGLEGARGLE"

    also: it's a snake with a human-like face that casts magic. that's at least three types of wrong right right there.

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Herman's suffered little more than stress this adventure, so sure, either way.

    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    @Chrysis go ahead and move, then the naga is going to do something, then you can (probably) finish your turn.

  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Ibilid advances aggressively. His view is that the time for talking is before the punching, not during.

    Right. Move to D15, using up 20' of movement, leaving 20' remaining. Let's see what he does.

    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The naga's gaze turns hard, and it's stony expression settles on Herman, the only one that hasn't been hurt yet. Suddenly, Herman can feel his body slowing and growing stiff.

    It turns out that casting spells in melee no longer provokes opportunity attacks, so N1 casts Flesh to Stone on Herman. Herman needs to make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw. Ibilid's turn may now continue.

  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    con save vs. gettin' stoned DC 14: 1d20+3 13

    ahahahahaha

    WELP

    Der Waffle Mous on
    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Nah it's not too bad. Right now you're just Restrained. The naga probably won't live long enough to get any farther with the spell than that.

  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    The Naga's distraction proves its undoing, as it fails to notice Ibilid's brutal right hook to the face. Blind-sided, and mildly concussed, the follow-up left-right combo makes a further mess of the beast.

    Pointing at the ragged body, Ibilid shouts "Next time try talking before you start biting!"


    It's kind of annoying sitting at work with a post all written up, the draft saved, and being completely unable to post it because the forums don't support IPv6 apparently.

    Anyway, ideally I want to kill this snake abomination in one round, but it's not very likely. I just got to hit him three times.

    So spend two MDD to flurry of blows for three attacks.
    Attack 1: 1d20+9 → [9,9] = (18)
    So far so good. Spend 1 Ki point on Heart Stopping Strike, maximising damage. Also add all 4 remaining MDD to the damage. So damage is a maximised 1d6 + 20 + 4d6, for a nice round 50.
    Attack 2: 1d20+9 → [8,9] = (17); 1d6+5 → [6,5] = (11). Hits for 11 damage, total is 61.
    Attack 3: 1d20+9 → [20,9] = (29); 1d6+5 → [6,5] = (11). Crits, for another maximised 11.

    So total damage dealt is 72, and Ibilid now has 3 Ki points remaining today. Mission Accomplished.

    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The magic that was encroaching upon Herman's body immediately fades as the naga falls to the ground in a lifeless heap. The giant mummies are similarly inanimate, and the chamber is quiet.

    Now what?

  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    Xi grabs the gem the mummy was originally holding and shoves it in the bag of holding, alongside the several hundred potions of healing.

    "IF WE SURVIVE THIS, MAYHAPS IN THE END WE CAN FIND PROFIT WITHIN THIS VENTURE."

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    "Thanks, I was starting to feel a bit stiff there."


    "And not in the good way."

    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Kelmon turns his superior elven eyesight to searching the naga, the mummies and their coffins. Mayhaps the foul things have something of interest.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The naga doesn't have any equipment. The giant mummies each have one large crystal, both identical to one another. Xi has already taken one of them and placed it in the bag. The other four sarcophagi are still sealed with mortar.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Kelmon turns his superior elven intellect to determining that this tomb is a terrible place.

  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    "WELL, SINCE WE'VE ALREADY DISTURBED PART OF THE TOMB, SHALL WE CONTINUE WITH THE LAST 4?"

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    "As if we could stop you." Rein smiles, eager to finish this so he can drink enough to forget about it.

    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    i've got tools: hammers, spikes, sledges, crowbars, picks, etc... Xi puts the 2nd large mummy gem in the bag of holding and after passing out potions to those who needs them, we open the last 4 sarcophagi.

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The four smaller coffins contain the mummified remains of four humans. Each one has long braided hair and rotting red robes. They're also wearing jeweled phylacteries made of gold (each one worth 1200gp), gold earrings (each pair worth 200gp), and simple gold rings (each ring worth 100gp). Each corpse is holding a bronze mace, green with age.

    Clenched in the teeth of each corpse is a gemstone. One is bloodstone, another carnelian, one citrine, and the last onyx. Each stone is inscribed with one of the four symbols that you've seen elsewhere in the tomb. Lastly, one of the mummy's wrappings has an inscription:

    Colored stones to you bequeathed,
    Bitten tight in priestly teeth.
    Each a key to Tzolo's Wall,
    Sign to sign will make it fall.

  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    "Right, easy enough." Rein rolls his eyes and yanks out the stones, letting Mr. Bag o' Potions gather the other stuff.

    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    So where to next? You've got a mysterious hallway to the west, a mysterious wall-face to the east, a mysterious pillar to the south, and a mysterious as-yet-unexplored room to the north-east.

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Kelmon looks around and says, "Let's head northeast."

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    After heading out of the mummy chamber and back up to the pillared hallway, you take a turn to the east to head into the next room, which is 40 feet wide by 50 feet long. The high ceiling of this chamber is painted with a swirling pattern of churning water, alien creatures struggling in the maelstrom. The walls are dull pink, possibly faded from red.

    The room has several decorations. A large rug covers the middle of the floor. It is woven with a scene that mirrors that of the painting on the ceiling, except it shows humanoids and a few beasts in the water. A large tapestry on the north wall depicts several animal-headed humanoids staring into the chamber, as if in a trance. Another tapestry on the south wall depicts a banquet scene in which animal-headed beings fight one another for scraps of food.

    A deep-red marble altar flanked by two brass candelabras stands against the east wall. Each candelabra holds seven candles, all black except for the southernmost one, which is red. The altar has dozen of symbols etched into it, and several items rest atop it.

    Two brass braziers with glowing-hot coals stand in the northwest and southwest corners.

  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    alright guys, unless there are objections, i will begin pushing all of this room's buttons.

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    No objections here.

    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • oxybeoxybe Entei is appaled and disappointed in you Registered User regular
    Alright, i've waited and no objections were given.

    First: i check what the items are on the altar.

    before i start destroying things or lighting stuff on fire, i wanna check the room for shiny baubles.

    you can read my collected ravings at oxybesothertumbr.tumblr.com
    -Weather Badge
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    "I'll...just stand back here." Rein stands as far away from whatever Xi is doing without leaving the room.

    "there's sin enough without treating love like a sin"
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Kelmon stands next to Xi ready to defend him from whatever his actions may cause.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Just so I have a clear picture:

    Xi and Kelmon are walking over to the altar.
    Rein is standing outside of the room by the pillars.
    Herman is ___________.
    Ibilid is _____________.

    Denada on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    ...-naively poking about the room looking for anything that looks like it does something.

    zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
Sign In or Register to comment.