As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2] New thread posted, please use that one.

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    OH YEAH and this person had a guildie of theirs in the group too and he was all "yeah all of you need to learn your classes, except my guildie, they're fine"... this was after we did Swamp (after restarting like 18 times to get it) and both me and cantor were consistently able to return our wisps with no issues and it was his guildmate or him fucking it up and then he's like "guys, this is not hard, it's just pick up and run".

GRUMBLE MUMBLE MOAN BITCH COMPLAIN but yeah at least we'll never see him again.

Man, just reading this stresses me out. At 31 I think I'm getting to old for this type of MMO shit.

Stuff like this didn't even make much sense to me when I was in college playing EQ1. I'm not much older than you either!

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Ardor wrote: »
    OH YEAH and this person had a guildie of theirs in the group too and he was all "yeah all of you need to learn your classes, except my guildie, they're fine"... this was after we did Swamp (after restarting like 18 times to get it) and both me and cantor were consistently able to return our wisps with no issues and it was his guildmate or him fucking it up and then he's like "guys, this is not hard, it's just pick up and run".

Man, just reading this stresses me out. At 31 I think I'm getting to old for this type of MMO shit.

Stuff like this didn't even make much sense to me when I was in college playing EQ1. I'm not much older than you either!

I think maybe 5-10 years ago I would have been more willing to deal with it perhaps. I think if I was in such a group today I'd probably bail on them.

Actually I generally don't group in MMOs anymore except with guildmates. The only exception to this is in SWTOR (which I'm playing again now) where I'll queue for a group as a tank. Because people usually will not make much of a fuss because tanks are few and far between in traditional 'trinity' mmos. So I just sort of do my thing and hope people don't die.

• Options
    Very rarely do I just up and join a pug without anyone I know. If I'm with a friend or guildmate, I'll stick with that person and their choice.

I've always played healer/support classes in most mmorpg's, so it was never a tough time finding a group, but you get a full spectrum of folks by joining random groups, hah.

Luckily, there's enough folks in NICE that I don't have to worry about only pugging to get anything done.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    So, not long after launch a couple of coworkers convinced me to get GW2. I played for a little bit, didn't care much, and put it aside. This past weekend I got the urge to give it another try and really began to dig into it. I now have a level 20 human warrior, and I have found a lot to enjoy in the game. I love events and the gathering of people for them. Sure it can turn into a Zerg at times, but I've found more often than not its 3 to 6 people getting together to complete them.

My only real complaint is that it feels like either there should be more renown heart quests, or that they should reset/be repeatable. I found that in the 16 - 20 range I've needed to go play in other zones to reasonably get the XP I need in order to level my character. Now I don't really want to roll a Norn character since I've seen a good chunk of that zone already.

So, I guess, I'm hoping for some advice that will help me level at a reasonable rate without having to farm all of the zones with a single character.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    So, not long after launch a couple of coworkers convinced me to get GW2. I played for a little bit, didn't care much, and put it aside. This past weekend I got the urge to give it another try and really began to dig into it. I now have a level 20 human warrior, and I have found a lot to enjoy in the game. I love events and the gathering of people for them. Sure it can turn into a Zerg at times, but I've found more often than not its 3 to 6 people getting together to complete them.

My only real complaint is that it feels like either there should be more renown heart quests, or that they should reset/be repeatable. I found that in the 16 - 20 range I've needed to go play in other zones to reasonably get the XP I need in order to level my character. Now I don't really want to roll a Norn character since I've seen a good chunk of that zone already.

So, I guess, I'm hoping for some advice that will help me level at a reasonable rate without having to farm all of the zones with a single character.

I've found that for the most part, experience given through hearts, kills, events, etc is simply a % of what you need for your current level. So even going back to a starter zone (1-15) might progress you nearly as fast as a (15-25) or something. Alternatively, check to see if anyone in the guild is up for tag teaming with you, as it makes things more fun and go much faster, almost regardless of what level the stuff is compared to you.

Gear also makes a pretty big difference. I recommend making sure your gear is within 5 levels of your current level. For curiosity, every level, that blue weapon/armor/accessory gains +2% stats/damage/armor. A higher rarity (white/blue/green/yellow/orange) of the same level is a +10% difference. So if you're using a level 15 blue weapon right now, you're giving yourself a roughly 10% handicap on damage and stats.If a green level 20 weapon exists that you could get for cheap on the trading post, that's a roughly 20% difference as well.

I'm usually around each night as Berit or Clive, flag me down and I can give you some in-game help and tag team some zones with you.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular

Do a bit of WVW or crafting which grants exp. The problem with being underleveled really only exists in the first two zones of the game if you don't do WvW or crafting. After that there are a huge number of zones and you can pick which ones you want to do in your level range and you will usually be overleveled. Many people, myself included, would have wished there were fewer, if not no hearts in the game at all.

One thing to make sure is to try to 100% those first two zones. Get all the vistas and skill points. Remember that everything gives exp: crafting, exploring, getting vistas, harvesting and mining, rezing other players, etc. The key to leveling is to do all the things.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

What the two responses above said. I'm in the same boat. Came back after a long hiatus and picked human as well, and that 1-17 starter zone left me at about level 12 after doing everything but the last 2 hearts (which suddenly bumped up to level 15). My previous Asura character was able to 1-15 in Metrica very smoothly, so it was a little surprising (because I've been doing newbie centaur events as well). I ended up just going over to Caledon to even out the leveling process. I don't think it's 100% as fast, but it certainly seems effective.

Don't forget to pick up some +xp food or pots. It doesn't hurt to have a little edge, and the lower end ones should be super cheap, like a couple of copper for a stack cheap.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    here's a photo from the GW2 party last friday that everyone missed but @REG rysk!
    3534_10151400038739209_2055549422_n.jpg

I wish you could have all been there... to meet captain america

A wild Kate appears!

I really wish I knew more locals who played/were part of this community because I would have stuck around longer. Like I was saying on TS over the weekend I get nasty anxiety in crowds if I don't have a handful of people I know with me to keep me preoccupied.

In the other photos published (the one with the giveaway winners) you can see on the far left a guy who saw me being nervous and just started talking to me. Helped keep me calm, and he got a Steelseries mouse because KARMA!

I know I haven't participated as much the past few weeks folks, but I'm just busy being A ZOMBIE OF ILLNESS AND PESTILENCE and also worrying about my finals. Can we get to my Spring Break already? I will be back in more/fuller swing as my time permits.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    And don't forget to gather everything, and pick up all the points of interest. Just 100% the vistas and pois is a solid chunk of a level.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    about the only thing good about the Escapist is Zero Punctuation

and even he gets on my nerves sometimes

I'm a fan of MovieBob and his two shows.
    I just don't bloody understand this article????

I saw that article this morning and I just wrote it off. They guy really came off as having no idea what he was talking about and was just pulling shit out of his ass in order to make a more clickable headline. Game seems to be going pretty well to me. Dungeons are getting run, events are getting done, and I still see folks wandering around the various zones leveling. Sure, its probably not bustling like launch month. But the idea that this game is anywhere near sunsetting is just ridiculous.

• Options
    ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    Well, I think the real problem is that they need an expansion within a year to add Tengu as a playable race, or the game is going to go belly-up. Or they could add it in one of their big patches.

Just let me play a bird man.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Probad wrote: »
    Well, I think the real problem is that they need an expansion within a year to add Tengu as a playable race, or the game is going to go belly-up. Or they could add it in one of their big patches.

Seriously! I have grand plans to play a tropical-bird-style Tengu warrior woman named Xochitl. Maybe also a peacock mesmer, if possible. :)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

Seriously! I have grand plans to play a tropical-bird-style Tengu warrior woman named Xochitl. Maybe also a peacock mesmer, if possible. :)

Bah, Coca Cola Bears With Awesome Names or Quaggan.

And these should be the Quaggan emotes:
    Gain Fury: Oooooo!
    Gain Regeneration: Oooooo!
    Discovery new territory: Oooooooo!
    Attune to Fire as an Elementalist: Oooooo! Quaggan likes Fire!

• Options
    JoiryJoiry Registered User regular
    skritt!!!

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    man, ran CoF p3 last night with some peeps from the reddit guild i'm in. took like, 1.5 hrs D: 4 of us hadn't done it before, and i don't know about specs, but the spot where you have to defeat 5 waves of silver flame legion took us 5 tries i think, then getting past the stupid death bombs was hella lame. it was mostly smooth other than that. for serious though, i don't think i want to run that dungeon ever again.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

Oh awesome, so I'm not the only one who wants to make a hideous peacocky rainbow guy

Mine's probably gonna be a Guardian named Sir Cluckington or something

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    i don't know what to do about a new race, since the only thing i don't have is ele i'd have to do that unless they added another class. i think they're more likely to add more weapons, allow weapons for different classes though, rather than that.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Feldorn wrote: »
    i don't know what to do about a new race, since the only thing i don't have is ele i'd have to do that unless they added another class. i think they're more likely to add more weapons, allow weapons for different classes though, rather than that.

One of the things I thought was strange as I rolled up my character this weekend was how there were only two Heavy Armor classes vs the three medium armor and three light armor classes. I kind of think that another heavy armor class should be added at some point to make them all nice and even.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited March 2013

One of the things I thought was strange as I rolled up my character this weekend was how there were only two Heavy Armor classes vs the three medium armor and three light armor classes. I kind of think that another heavy armor class should be added at some point to make them all nice and even.

I agree. not sure what to implement though.

what do people think about condition/grenade engi? i'm working out a rabid, might stacking, bleed damage grenadier. it looks like this right now. either explosives X or superior sigil of battle might actually be overkill for might.

for runes, it would be 2x might/fire/hoelbrak, and 4 altruism.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

what do people think about condition/grenade engi? i'm working out a rabid, might stacking, bleed damage grenadier. it looks like this right now. either explosives X or superior sigil of battle might actually be overkill for might.

Fine, aside from the usual problems with any condition build. Namely that right now if there's more than one condition build in a given scenario, the two+ of them step all over each others' toes in terms of damage output.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I R BACK.

I assume there will be more Guild Mission shenanigans over the weekened? Will it be more likely to be on Saturday? Afternoon? Evening?

• Options
    Entriech wrote: »

Fine, aside from the usual problems with any condition build. Namely that right now if there's more than one condition build in a given scenario, the two+ of them step all over each others' toes in terms of damage output.

yes, i'm fully aware of that limitation. that's why i spent all of 3 hours with conditions on my thief. power + unmodified conditions seem to pretty much be better all the time in pve. i was just looking at a good might stacking build, and the altruism would let me keep up 6 stacks of might on my team as well.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »

This is really only a PvE problem. For WvW (and maybe sPvP) players are going to dump conditions every chance they can; if you can't reapply a whole stack of 25 bleeds every 2-3 seconds, they might as well not exist.

26904.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    This is mostly tangential to the topic, but personally, I think the world would be very well served if we all took a good long look at the length we expect an article to be. Based on personal impression, it seems like we're all trying to hit that magic newspaper length, whic

I will say this every time it gets mentioned! The third Soldier should be a heavy-armor equivalent, mechanically, to the Engineer and the Elementalist, in the sense of "you only get one weapon, but your class mechanic allows you to switch between multiple modes to make up for it". In this case, I envision a "Samurai" class (to go along with them Tengu) that wields a single two-handed weapon and changes between "Stances" (though you'd need another term, since Warriors already have that skill type) either over time or as it attacks, which change its skill-bar between attack, defense, and condition/precision themes.

Hmm... now that I think about it, my "timer" idea that I originally floated could probably be better realized as a set number of skill uses before you switch to the next stance, with your F1 skill forcing the next stance transition immediately. Someday I'll have to sketch this idea out fully...

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    I've finally finished my mystic clovers. 77 lovely purple plants sitting in my bank.

If anyone is interested it took a total of 261 combines to get them and also generated:

43 Ancient Bone
    17 Ancient Plank
    53 Armoured Scale
    20 Bolt of Gossamer
    4 Corrupted Lodestone
    4 Crystal
    1 Crystal Lodestone
    39 Crystalline Dust
    29 Cured Hardened Leather Square
    4 Destroyer Lodestone
    48 Elaborate Totem
    4 Glob of Ectoplasm
    3 Hidden Treasure
    15 Mystic Coin
    4 Obsidian Shard
    21 Orichalcum Ingot
    3 Pile of Putrid Essence
    45 Powerful Venom Sac
    36 Powerful Blood
    40 Vicious Claw
    40 Vicious Fang

If no one has claimed them I will totally take those ectos and orichalcum ingots. I've paid 25s for ectos and 6s for ingots in the past to guildies.

Sorry Viv, that was more of a "If you're going for clovers this is what you can expect to get." rather than "I've got this extra stuff left over to get rid of".

I sold pretty much everything of any value as soon as Zomorros spat it out in an effort to build my legendary fund. I still need another 230 odd ectos above and beyond what I used for the clovers.

I do have a small amount of ori ore stock piled though that I was keeping for when I changed my guardians jewellery. After I take out what I need there should be some left I can flog to you rather than dropping it on the TP if you like.

oops my bad

but yes I would appreciate some ore! basically I am hoarding ectos and orichalcum at the moment, I'm just about halfway to getting Vision of the Mists!

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular

What the two responses above said. I'm in the same boat. Came back after a long hiatus and picked human as well, and that 1-17 starter zone left me at about level 12 after doing everything but the last 2 hearts (which suddenly bumped up to level 15). My previous Asura character was able to 1-15 in Metrica very smoothly, so it was a little surprising (because I've been doing newbie centaur events as well). I ended up just going over to Caledon to even out the leveling process. I don't think it's 100% as fast, but it certainly seems effective.

Don't forget to pick up some +xp food or pots. It doesn't hurt to have a little edge, and the lower end ones should be super cheap, like a couple of copper for a stack cheap.

Doing hearts and 100%ing maps won't get you to the maximum level intended for the zone, because a chunk of XP is available via dynamic events and your personal story as well. If you've participated in a mass of events and your story is at par with you, you should be sitting at around 16 when you leave a starter zone. It also helps if you've gathered every resource node you've seen and done a bit of crafting.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Yeah, Guild Wars 2 is "death by a thousand cuts" in a lot of ways, including when it comes to obtaining EXP. There are a lot of different ways to get EXP, including:

- Combat
    - Food bonuses
    - Resource gathering
    - Crafting
    - Exploration, including uncovering the map, waypoints, vistas, points of interest, renown hearts, and skill points
    - Dynamic events
    - Personal Story missions

If there's anything on that list you aren't doing, start doing it. The exp curve is balanced against an optimal agent, which most players aren't.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    then you can do what I and a few others have started doing, which is power level to 35 and then start doing dungeons

the way they rebuilt AC is kinda neat, and the only path I've tried since then redesign is Detha

the Ghost Eater fight is super fun now that you are literally the Ghostbusters

(you pick up anti-spectral ordinances and pull oozes into traps that power up[ the traps and then the Ghost Eater gets turned corporeal when it hits the trap and then you can damage him)

protips for the new boss fight:

If the Ghost Eater is far from a trap, designate 2 people to always lift (skill 1) and 2 people to always pull (skill 2), then call target on an ooze; the fifth person can either assist with the pulling or choose to kite and hold aggro where possible on the boss. Alternately, 2 people always go 1-2-1-2 and the other 2 always go 2-1-2-1 when pulling oozes to make things go faster.

That said, it is far, far easier if you pull Ghost Eater to the next intended trap (powered or not) so that he spits oozes right into the trap circle; that way all you have to do is lift oozes (skill 1) to power the trap and he is stunned right away as well, and not worry about pulling oozes.

I would not recommend pugging it if it is your first time experiencing the new dungeon; give it some time for folks to learn how to do the new bosses before you start pugging.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    we had some guildies in that dungeon right after they changed it. It took some time to figure out how to get things going, but as soon as we did the boss dropped fairly quickly. I can only imagine the pain that would have resulted if we had pugged the run.

253J736.png
  • Options
    Ardor wrote: »

I think maybe 5-10 years ago I would have been more willing to deal with it perhaps. I think if I was in such a group today I'd probably bail on them.

Actually I generally don't group in MMOs anymore except with guildmates. The only exception to this is in SWTOR (which I'm playing again now) where I'll queue for a group as a tank. Because people usually will not make much of a fuss because tanks are few and far between in traditional 'trinity' mmos. So I just sort of do my thing and hope people don't die.

I'm of the mind that back in the day, yeah I played Guild Wars like there was no goddamn tomorrow and was doing everything I could be proskillz at it. But now that I'm older and have more commitments and less time to play, I'd really rather just play to have fun, chill with folks, and still get through the content in the game - which is, with NICE, what I've been able to do.

So it's really jarring when you encounter someone who is probably a college student being all srs bznz about the game and it's like, man, you don't KNOW what stress is, just calm down and enjoy the ride. I reckon once you start stressing out like it's work, you are no longer playing a game, you are just making a fun thing decidedly un-fun, and dang kiddo it is time for a break.

I feel like these people are far rarer in GW2 than they are in other games, but I like to think it's because NICE does not have people with that kind of attitude to begin with (and if you gave anyone in the guild lip I would arch an eyebrow at you so hard), and I roll primarily with you guys anyway.

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Whooooaaa, I did a mission of my personal storyline...

First time in months in fact. I must be getting bored or something god help me...

Fuck it, it's about time I finished the damn thing anyway. At least I know what I'll be doing ingame on the weekend!

BUT! I'm also up for some tpvp! No idea when exactly during the weekend (except Saturday night; got a family get-together) but it'll only be for like, an hour. Maybe 2. Just a few people having no-strings fun for as long as it lasts. With no ticket requirements all you need is yourself and your favourite class. We can decide what you'd like to spec as and we'll try to fit us all into a NICE (heh) synergisitc killing team.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    WolveSight wrote: »
    we had some guildies in that dungeon right after they changed it. It took some time to figure out how to get things going, but as soon as we did the boss dropped fairly quickly. I can only imagine the pain that would have resulted if we had pugged the run.

I pugged it, and there were 3 of us who hadn't done it before (myself included) and I'd completely forgotten about the redesign

but we did figure it out eventually; but then the instance leader left when we wiped with the boss at 5% and then we got booted out, so that was kinda lame

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    btw I may not be around much for the next week cuz simcity

I may still pop in to do gbank stuff and dailies here and there but otherwise yeah simcity

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    you mean when they get their magical unicorn servers working, right? :)

253J736.png
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    then you can do what I and a few others have started doing, which is power level to 35 and then start doing dungeons

the way they rebuilt AC is kinda neat, and the only path I've tried since then redesign is Detha

the Ghost Eater fight is super fun now that you are literally the Ghostbusters

(you pick up anti-spectral ordinances and pull oozes into traps that power up[ the traps and then the Ghost Eater gets turned corporeal when it hits the trap and then you can damage him)

protips for the new boss fight:

If the Ghost Eater is far from a trap, designate 2 people to always lift (skill 1) and 2 people to always pull (skill 2), then call target on an ooze; the fifth person can either assist with the pulling or choose to kite and hold aggro where possible on the boss. Alternately, 2 people always go 1-2-1-2 and the other 2 always go 2-1-2-1 when pulling oozes to make things go faster.

That said, it is far, far easier if you pull Ghost Eater to the next intended trap (powered or not) so that he spits oozes right into the trap circle; that way all you have to do is lift oozes (skill 1) to power the trap and he is stunned right away as well, and not worry about pulling oozes.

I would not recommend pugging it if it is your first time experiencing the new dungeon; give it some time for folks to learn how to do the new bosses before you start pugging.

Colossus Rumblus is broken right now. Mechanic for the final fight is an NPC has to use a skill to protect party from Boss wipe attack. Except he does other things instead, like charge a Hammer attack on the Boss and Die.

• Options
    WolveSight wrote: »
    you mean when they get their magical unicorn servers working, right? :)

not gonna lie, it is the one time being on the opposite side of the world from the server has worked in my favour

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »
    I just don't bloody understand this article????

You don't? Well, lets take a look here:

- Controversial stand that puts words in its source's mouth ("well, we aren't gonna talk about an expansion pack now but we might in the futureDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED")
    - Contradictory evidence ("the game is stagnating! Development is at a standstill! Look at those free content updates and new features they add every month, clearly this game is going nowhere!")
    - Poor understanding of the subject at hand ("WHY AREN'T THEY MAKING GUILD WARS 3 YET GAWD")

Looks like a flame bait article. Don't these things normally come from Kotaku?

Something I just want to ask because I'm having the weirdest sense of time-warp... This game came out in like September right? Because I've heard a lot of things from people complaining about the game that I'm just like, what the fuck is going on I remember being at a launch party for this in Seattle and didn't start playing until two weeks ago and having a hard time reconciling all the bitching that could happen in five months.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    It came out in August. It's been out for just over 6 months. Beta keys were available from April or so iirc.

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Okay, good, because I did drink a lot that weekend and wasn't totally sure of my memory.

So, today I rolled into a two-team tournament and won, but not before some bro on the other team said, "Bad Warrior l2p." After it took him and two other teammates to kill me, and they allowed me to neutralize a point, and almost immediately afterwards my team showed up and roflstomped them so fast we managed to take all three points. Kiddo, you teach me how to play my class any better than that and I'll tell you what its like to feel the warmth of another human being.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Don't take it personal. People hate warriors. They're grossly overpowered in most parts of the game.

Also, that's one of the reasons you hear so much bitching about the game even if it's been out only for six months: horrible, crippling class balance/bug issues have gone completely unfixed since the last beta, and the small amount of changes and fixes there has been have been aimed at 5v5 PvP, the least popular part of the game.

This discussion has been closed.