As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Top Albums of 2012

TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
edited December 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Well, the thread title is a bit of a lie! There is lots of good music out there and I'm wondering what sorts of hidden gems I've missed out on over the past year, so hopefully a thread like this will help myself and others! So instead of just listing whatever's on the radio the most, put down some albums that you think didn't get the exposure they deserve (Or just put down whatever's on the radio if they were your favourite albums!).

I'll go first with these in no particular order!

grimes-visions.png
Artist - Album: Grimes - Visions
RIYL: Zola Jesus, Crystal Castles, Purity Ring
Sample Song: Oblivion

1349172980_cover.jpg
Artist - Album: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
RIYL: Mogwai, Explosions In The Sky, God Is An Astronaut
Sample Song: Mladic

Converge_All_We_Love_We_Leave_Behind600G031012.jpg
Artist - Album: Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
RIYL: Dillenger Escape Plan, Botch, any band that's been influenced by them in the past 20 years
Sample Song: Sadness Comes Home

edit: I chose to link Youtube videos so the entire thread isn't littered with them and it ends up taking forever to load. If you're going to link a video, link or spoiler it so the thread remains readable.

Tav on

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    osi-fire-make-thunder-20120123195136.jpg
    Artist: OSI
    Album: Fire Make Thunder
    Stylistically, it's sort of rock with some electronic and ambient elements.
    Sample Song: Surprisingly difficult to find songs from the album on youtube. They do have an album sampler up; Sampler

album_cover.jpg
    Artist/Album: Storm Corrosion
    A collaboration by Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree, and Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth.
    RIYL: Steven Wilson's solo material. Ambient, experimental type music.
    Sample Song: Drag Ropes

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    T-Swizzle, motherfuckers
    Taylor_Swift_-_Red.png

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    coheed__20670_zoom.jpg
    Artist: Coheed & Cambria
    Album: The Afterman: Ascension
    Stand Out Tracks: Evagria the Faithful, Vic the Butcher

tumblr_mdfwlr6W3i1ql402k_1352832977_cover.jpg
    Artist: The Mars Volta
    Album: Noctourniquet
    Stand Out Tracks: In Absentia, Vedamalady

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Soundgarden-King-Animal-608x608.jpg

Artist: Soundgarden
    Album: King Animal

Standout Tracks:

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    This year has been all about this for me:

MrWYK.jpg

Artist: Of Monsters and Men
    Album: My Head is an Animal
    Sample: King and Lionheart

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    1431760026-1.jpg

Artist: You Slut!
    Album: Medium Bastard
    Sounds like: UK Maths, but without the post-rock influences most bands like that bring; super upbeat + fun.
    Sample: Hiya Higher Hire

3523957228-1.jpg

Artist: Rennaisance Sound
    Album: S/T
    Sounds like: Contemporary Jazz strongly influenced by the math/pop scene of Chicago (i.e. Tortoise)
    Sample: Don't Eat My Dwarves

3659465268-1.jpg

Artist: Kayo Dot
    Album: Gamme Knife
    Sounds like: Skronkin' pretentious American Black Metal with some prog influences, I guess — Krallice, Orthrelm, Behold the Arctopus
    Sample: Ocellated God (followed by older song, Aura on an Asylum Wall)

51Vj1G1AI%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Artist: El-P
    Album: Cancer 4 Cure
    Sounds like: El-P? He's not exactly unique, but his production style isn't exactly common these days. Aggressively dissonant, heavy bass, interesting song structure.
    Sample: Oh Hail No

• Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    Second on El-P.

cadence-weapon-hipe-in-dirty-city_jpg_300x300_crop-smart_q85.jpg
    Cadence Weapon: Hope in Dirt City

Style: Similar to other Canadian hip-hop, he retains the 'old school' production method of using jazz samples to make his sound unique

Sample: Small Deaths

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Oh, also;
    220px-Rush_Clockwork_Angels_artwork.png
    Artist: Rush
    Album: Clockwork Angels

Sample: Caravan, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight

The whole album is great, start to finish. Probably their best overall album in a long time.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Love those El-P tracks.

Motherfucking Squarepusher is old as dirt but has still got it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvLAKrVbCBM

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Flying-Lotus-Until-the-Quiet-Comes-e1342620571552.jpg

Artist - Album: Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes
    RIYL: jazz-influenced instrumental hip hop, J-Dilla, Madlib
    Sample song: Tiny Tortures

Flying Lotus continues growing, past the often aggressive and raw cuts from Cosmogramma to more dreamy, jazzy tracks. Other standouts are Putty Boy Strut and The Nightcaller.

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    The three albums I've dug the most this year:

220px-Kimbra_-_Vows_-_Album_Art.jpg
    Kimbra: Vows
    Sounds like: Camille, Bjork (though much more accessible), Seal
    Samples: Come Into My Head, Two Way Street, live cover of Two Weeks/Head Over Heels

pmrrecords-3700659.jpg
    Jessie Ware: Devotion
    Sounds like: Adele by way of Sade?
    Samples: Wildest Moments, 110%

MI0003392585jpgpartnerallrovi.jpg
    Frank Ocean: Channel Orange
    Sounds like: The Weeknd
    Samples: Thinking Bout You, youtube.com/watch?v=zInf-88f0Hs

Also have to second Grimes, she's pretty fantastic.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    big +1 to Vows, I love that album

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Chief-2_zps9d951e98.jpg
    Eric Church: Chief
    Style: Shitkicker country, traditional country or contemporary country. Depends on the track.
    Samples: Springsteen, Drink In My Hand.

That probably concludes the country part of the thread. I'll just see myself out.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    @Feral - Definitely check out El-P's three LPs if you haven't before. He also produced Killer Mike's most recent record, R.A.P Music.

Also, on the topic of Squarepusher and music in the vein, highly recommend folks check out Three Trapped Tigers. Route One or Die was prob my favorite record of last year.

774715697-1.jpg

Artist: Three Trapped Tigers
    Album: Route One or Die
    Sounds Like: Organic Squarepusher drum&bass glitchy craziness with a strong foundation in Classical music.
    Sample: Noise Trade

Some other jams of recent times:

1103287302-1.jpg

Artist: Bruce Peninsula
    Album: Open Flames
    Sounds Like: Artsy Canadians appropriating Negro spirituals.
    Sample: In Your Light

1397655683-1.jpg

Artist: Boyfrndz
    Album: All Day Pass
    Sounds Like: Wall of Noise Shoegaze, My Bloody Valentine fused with Tera Melos; youthful and hypnotic.
    Sample: Not That Sensitive

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I didn't think this was a particularly strong year for the kind of music I like. Several of my favorite bands put out albums that ranged from "meh" to "nope," including The Shins and Fiona Apple.

The good news is that my thirst for new music was slaked by digging into older bands that I wasn't terribly familiar with, meaning I now have all the Cowboy Junkies' stuff.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    so much music I never listened to this year, sheesh

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    so much music I never listened to this year, sheesh

Me too, I have so many back logs in so many areas of my life, you would think I have been busy the last 5 years or something.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Damn, I was coming in to post Vows, just had to check to make sure it was released this year. Oh well, I then nominate

Fun_-_Some_Nights_album_cover.png

Artist: fun.
    Album: Some Nights
    Samples: Some Nights, We Are Young, Carry On

• Options
    Seconded. It's a hell of a fun(!) album, from start to finish.

Though I found out why they use so much autotune on that album; apparently, the lead singer can't sing for crap live.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Artist: Boyfrndz
    Album: All Day Pass
    Sounds Like: Wall of Noise Shoegaze, My Bloody Valentine fused with Tera Melos; youthful and hypnotic.
    Sample: Not That Sensitive

Now this I like!

• Options
    r4dr3zr4dr3z Registered User regular
    Fiona Apple Idler Wheel

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    c11p9.jpg

Artist: Leonard Cohen
    Album: Old Ideas
    Sample Song: Going Home

• Options
    VestyVesty Registered User regular
    TheLumineersalbum.jpg

Artist: The Lumineers
    Album: The Lumineers
    Sounds Like: Folky
    Sample: Ho Hey, Flowers In Your Hair, Dead Sea

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Oh, also;
    220px-Rush_Clockwork_Angels_artwork.png
    Artist: Rush
    Album: Clockwork Angels

Sample: Caravan, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight

The whole album is great, start to finish. Probably their best overall album in a long time.

:^:

Came here to post this. Rush is my favorite band bar none, and Clockwork Angels is such a fantastic album. It's their best record in more than twenty years, at least. Probably more than that. So many standout tracks, and they're all amazing live too!

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    macklemore-and-ryan-lewis-The-Heist.jpg

Artist: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
    Album: The Heist
    RIYL: Blue Scholars, Grimes, Seattle Hip Hop
    Sample Song: Thrift Shop

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    X4Iw6.jpg

Artist: Nick Waterhouse
    Album: Time's All Gone
    Sample Song: I Can Only Give You Everything

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    kendrick-lamar-good-kid-mad-city-deluxe-cover1-e1347640933501.jpg?w=560
    Artst: Kendrick Lamar
    Album: Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City
    Sample Song: Swimming Pools

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    alt-j-awesome-wave.jpg

Artist: Alt-J
    Album: An Awesome Wave
    Sample Songs: Breezeblocks Tessellate Leon

41Ldcb7tA8L._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Artist: Imagine Dragons
    Album: Night Visions
    Sample Songs: Radioactive Bleeding Out It's Time (<-Hit Single)

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    51iUVfOanZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Artist: Eisbrecher
    Album: Die Holle Muss Warten
    Sample Songs: Tanz Mit Mir, Verruckt

Eisbrecher is absolutely my favourite band. They go from heavy industrial to straight electronic and everything in between. Every song on this album is brilliant.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've been listening to these solid since they came out:

90438b62e136e82cc6ac155cc5db4ef8.jpeg

Artist: Hey Ocean!
    Album: Is
    Sample Songs: Big Blue Wave, I Am A Heart

They're a Canadian indie pop band that have a variety of genres mixed in with many of their songs. Some might know the lead singer as a voice actor from My Little Pony: FiM. I have never seen the show but I have seen this band live and they are super fun.

Metric-Synthetica.jpg?t=20120612003223

Artist: Metric
    Album: Synthetica
    Sample Songs: Youth Without Youth, Breathing Underwater

Another Canadian band! They've been around for a bit and I've really enjoyed all their albums so I was worried about their follow-up to Fantasies (2009), that they wouldn't be able to follow it up. When this landed this Summer all fears were dispelled.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Murder-By-Death-Bitter-Drink-Bitter-Moon.jpg

Artist: Murder by Death
    Album: Bitter Drink, Bitter Moon
    Sample Song:
    Indie rock band taking inspiration from movies and folky stuff, often darker themes. I prefer their previous album but this one is great too.

One my favorite albums of this year is sadly all in swedish and probably a bit useless to most of you but I'll post it anyway:
    mando.jpeg
    Artist: Mando Diao
    Album: Infruset
    Sample Song:
    A swedish rock band that did something different and put music to the poetry of Gustaf Fröding.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    0001648885_500.jpg

Artist: Grendel
    Album: Timewave Zero

Grendel shifts things up yet again, they keep experimenting with styles between each album. They started as your average angry EBM, but they've gradually found their own sound.

This album has some more "commercial-sounding" (ugh now I sound all hipstery) songs, like Deep Waters, which is more of a club track, and the first Grendel song with female vocals at that, which makes it a pretty big step away from their older style.

Conflict Instigation is more towards their older style from their last album.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Here's a two-for-one. Hope you don't mind it being from 2011. Actually, one of them is from 2007, but I discovered Acretongue in 2011, so there!

R-1920194-1252595071.jpegR-3177075-1319217941.jpeg

I randomly stumbled upon a sample from Strange Cargo, and then discovered that the earlier album, Nihil from 2007, was made available for free from Bandcamp by the artist.

I love everything about Acretongue - the sound and the visuals. Here are two teasers from Strange Cargo, showing them both.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    1350565491_now44.jpg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    you monster

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

Though I found out why they use so much autotune on that album; apparently, the lead singer can't sing for crap live.

He has a really strange voice; I saw fun. live once when they were supporting their first album (which didn't have much in the way of autotune) and he was pretty good, but years ago he was the frontman for The Format and his voice was pretty much exactly as it was on the album live. He does have a strange voice, though. I thought the rampant use of autotune was due to them taking inspiration from 808's and Heartbreaks, but I don't remember where I read that.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options

He has a really strange voice; I saw fun. live once when they were supporting their first album (which didn't have much in the way of autotune) and he was pretty good, but years ago he was the frontman for The Format and his voice was pretty much exactly as it was on the album live. He does have a strange voice, though. I thought the rampant use of autotune was due to them taking inspiration from 808's and Heartbreaks, but I don't remember where I read that.

He has two registers he sings in, a kind of whispering lilt and then a huge broadway-style belting, but it's when he shifts in and out of the two that he sometimes sounds like a kid going through puberty.

I mean, I still like them and all, but they're a much better studio band than they are a live band.

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    There is a lot of seriously top-notch music up in here. Almost half of my top ten is in this thread.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I would like to put the latest Hey Rosetta! album up here, but it was released early last year, so not really a good fit. I will link to Yer Spring and Yer Fall though... good songs, and make me pine for home.

Happy to see Grimes get a mention, I second that one. Oblivion is a totally infectious song...

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    tentative list, which i will ruminate upon and make a proper post

1) Barker and Baumecker -- Transsektoral (This is def #1. One of the best electronic albums ever)
    2) Robert Hood -- Motor: Nighttime World 3
    3) Squarepusher -- Ufabulum
    4) Silent Servant -- Negative Fascinations
    5) Perc -- Wicker and Steel
    6) Actress -- R.I.P.
    7) Grimes -- Visions
    8) Ricardo Villalobos -- Dependent and Happy
    9) The Presets -- Pacifica
    10) Frank Ocean -- Agent Orange (I actually don't listen to it much at all, but it's a great album nonetheless)

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1