As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East MUST buy Nintendo DS games!

• Options
    ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Sometimes y'all make it incredibly easy to pick tournament games, and sometimes you make it incredibly difficult!
    Picks soon to come. (In the next week/2 weeks)

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Can't wait!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    Wizard wrote: »
    And Trion, it's up to you man. If you're busy, I'm not going to push it. But if you do wrangle something Saturday, I'll do everything I can to show up there.

Well, I hate to disappoint anyone and there do seem to be a couple of people interested.

Here's what I'm gonna do. In a couple of weeks I'll touch base with @scoots and set up a time Saturday afternoon for a meet. I'll probably be there myself, but if something comes up or there's a panel I really want to see, you guys can go ahead without me. I will at least tweet any change of plans on my twitter account @paullanglois . That should give everyone a chance to get together if they want. And if everyone gets caught up in other festivities, no harm no foul.

• Options
    Kiss Me GoodByeKiss Me GoodBye Registered User regular
    I asked for a 3DS for Christmas just for PAX! I loves it <3

SQUID
    PAX EAST 2011 * 2012 * 2013 *2014 *2015 *2016 | PAX PRIME 2013| PAX UNPLUGGED 2017
  • Options
    creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    I'd be up for a DQIX meetup. I've missed the DQIX meetup for the last few years though, as there's usually so much going on at the same time. I wish I could say I'd head one up on Sunday, but I'm not sure what my schedule's going to look like!
    GrimRupert wrote: »
    I'm curious if Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, just releasing before PAX East, has any street pass functionality.
    It does.

• Options
    H2OCakeisalieH2OCakeisalie Enforcer Registered User regular
    dose anybody know of cases for the 3ds because i camt find any i like that holds more then three games and the case i have for my vita holds 16 games

• Options
    Tap Master CTap Master C Registered User regular
    The GameStop 3DS case that I have holds 12 games

PAX East 2013 Omeganaut

Hmm... I seem to have misplaced my signature...
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I have a feeling I'll end up getting Monster Hunter before PAX, I've barely played them and I'm not even sure if they're my style...

• Options
    dose anybody know of cases for the 3ds because i camt find any i like that holds more then three games and the case i have for my vita holds 16 games

If you are a part of the Nintendo Club, they used to have a sweet 3DS case that holds 18 games. Last time I looked it was sold out though.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    thanks ill look into those

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    What is everyones experience with tbe handheld lounge? Do they host tourneys? Is it people just sitting around shouting out what games they are playing?

• Options
    All the above.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    KapolKapol Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    It might be a good idea to update the OP with a list of recommended DS games. That way people don't have to look through the entire thread to see what they might want to pick up.

I think it's be really cool to have a sticky thread of generally recommended games where people can post good multiplayer games to bring though and have them listed by system (DS, 3DS, PSP, PSV, etc). It could even include non-console games like MtG and CAH. Do they have games on Android or iOS that can be played locally?

Kapol on
  • Options
    Will there be a list of everyone's FC to add as well?

I just got Fire Emblem: Awakening and wouldnt mind adding people that will have that at PAX East or Mario Kart 7.

• Options
    Is there a mobile DS charger out there? Something similar to this iPhone charger? It holds quite a large charge that you can use throughout the day without having to plug into the wall.

226411_1_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=280&wid=280&align=0,1

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    There are a small number of outlets along the hallways where people line up for panels. An extension cord/splitter is a good thing to bring, and I managed to meet some people to play games with using the splitter as a conversation starter.

• Options
    Yea, I am always prepared with all of that. Just wondering if there is a portable power supply. I like not having to look for an outlet (and if I am on the train or on the way up in the car, this makes it worth it).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Gamestop sells usb based ds chargers, and I think you can use the cable from those with a typical usb battery.

• Options
    PixelStylesPixelStyles Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Just ordered my Fire Emblem edition 3DS. I have DQ which I will be starting over again soon and bringing with me to try and get some maps. I need to look up with FE has any streetpass functionality...

edit:
    [Spotpass & Streetpass] - *Weekly release*

The spotpass feature adds more skirmishes to the game, which can be accessed as you traverse the world map. To be specific, there are 6 side-quest chapters that have a narrative and allows you to recruit 6 characters that you normally can't recruit during the course of the campaign, as well as 12 retro spotpass teams.

The spotpass skirmishes/"chapters" also consist of characters from older Fire Emblem games such as Hector and the Black Knight. Each spotpass sent out represents a game and you can actually recruit the characters by beating them or paying in-game money to have them join you. Note that the retro main characters are also the same DLC characters later on, though they don't have the new character portrait/art, and the DLC versions of the main characters have skills that their spotpass versions cannot obtain. Class changing options are also limited for spotpass characters. There are a few characters from old FE games present only in spotpass teams, such as Hector from Fire Emblem [GBA].

Streetpass is fairly simple in that it allows you to make a team of 10 of your units which you could use to exchange with others. Once you've exchanged streetpass data, you can fight the other player's team, but it'll be controlled by the CPU. By beating a streetpass team however or using in-game money, you can recruit another player's Avatar. Likewise, you can also buy out spotpass characters instead of choosing to battle them.

Edit 2:
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Is there a mobile DS charger out there? Something similar to this iPhone charger? It holds quite a large charge that you can use throughout the day without having to plug into the wall.

I used a Mophie at the last two PAX's for all my stuff. Fully charged 2 iPhones from empty with a little extra to spare for our Nike+ Fuelbands :)
    http://www.mophie.com/powerstation-duo-for-smartphones-and-tablets-p/2029_jpu-pwrstion-duo.htm - Try and get something with a little more power to it, this one is 6000mAh as opposed to the 2000 I think is in the one you posted.

PixelStyles on
  • Options
    KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    What is everyones experience with tbe handheld lounge? Do they host tourneys? Is it people just sitting around shouting out what games they are playing?
    last year was my first time in the handheld... and I must say, it was one of my new favorites at pax.. it was a blast! I can't wait to do it again this year, and plan on doing it more.

• Options
    kamahlrfkamahlrf Registered User regular
    If anyone was contemplating picking up Fire Emblem: Awakening, I would highly recommend doing so. In my opinion, one of the best games they have made so far, and the StreetPass options make this super interesting. Here's hoping I run into some people running around with it :D

• Options
    scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    kamahlrf wrote: »
    If anyone was contemplating picking up Fire Emblem: Awakening, I would highly recommend doing so. In my opinion, one of the best games they have made so far, and the StreetPass options make this super interesting. Here's hoping I run into some people running around with it :D
    I'll be one of those people running around with it. :D

sig.php?id=222
  • Options
    ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular

226411_1_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=280&wid=280&align=0,1

We lend out chargers AND games!

• Options
    its really just a cluster of beanbags for your gaming pleasure with a library of games i didnt hang out for very long because i felt inept with only a ds lite but from what ive read and gathered from talking to people turaments will spring up randomly

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I knew of the previous Fire Emblems but never played them. That whole genre never appealed to me. BUT, literally every review of it that I read was positively gushing. Then one of the reviews compared the intricate character relationships to Guiding Light (a now cancelled soap on CBS) and next thing I know, I'm calling every gaming store on Tuesday trying to get it. I was always a sucker for the Light. As luck would have it, I got it at Walmart (and I never have any luck getting new releases at the W!) Anyway, get this game!!!!! I'm very interested in the Street Pass stuff.

• Options
    scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    I knew of the previous Fire Emblems but never played them. That whole genre never appealed to me. BUT, literally every review of it that I read was positively gushing. Then one of the reviews compared the intricate character relationships to Guiding Light (a now cancelled soap on CBS) and next thing I know, I'm calling every gaming store on Tuesday trying to get it. I was always a sucker for the Light. As luck would have it, I got it at Walmart (and I never have any luck getting new releases at the W!) Anyway, get this game!!!!! I'm very interested in the Street Pass stuff.
    If you don't like characters with little to no feet visible, then don't buy it. ;-)

sig.php?id=222
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    If you don't like characters with little to no feet visible, then don't buy it. ;-)

So what you're saying is that the game is a foot fetishist's worst nightmare? :P

Kapol on
  • Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I know this is getting off topic, but that was pretty funny right there, hehe. (A little Larry the Cable Guy for ya :) Anyway, back on topic. Are there any big releases coming out between now and the start of PAX? Haven't had a chance to look at the latest release list at Gamestop. I know I do want the new Luigi's Mansion, though.

• Options
    monstee hunter.

• Options
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    I know this is getting off topic, but that was pretty funny right there, hehe. (A little Larry the Cable Guy for ya :) Anyway, back on topic. Are there any big releases coming out between now and the start of PAX? Haven't had a chance to look at the latest release list at Gamestop. I know I do want the new Luigi's Mansion, though.

Sadly, Luigi's Mansion is being released DURING PAX East. It's officially released on the 24th if I remember correctly. Though, if it's like Fire Emblem, they won't have it for sale till Tuesday anyways.

• Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    I finally got my hands on Fire Emblem the other day and I've been playing when not shoveling snow. So I'll have a party out there for recruiting.

• Options
    Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Fire Emblem is getting hard to find. I hope I can snag one before Pax.

This space for rent
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Josh5890 wrote: »
    Fire Emblem is getting hard to find. I hope I can snag one before Pax.

eShop go! There were none within 100 miles of me on release day so it seemed the easier way to go about it. It really seems like they didn't make very many carts for this game.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    coconutcrowcoconutcrow Massachusetts, USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    briemoo wrote: »
    Did anyone play Kid Icarus last PAX (well, if not East, what about Prime)? I bought it for $5 via Best Buy deal and gift cards and have yet to play.

I highly recommend Kid Icarus Uprising for multiplayer. I didn't even know about multiplayer on it until I went to NYCC and ended up placing in the top 10 for the tournament. It's pretty easy to get the hang of, but you've gotta have a good weapon beforehand or else you've got no chance.

Last year, there were a few Kid Icarus tournaments in the handheld lounge. I'd count on some more this year!

coconutcrow on
    Steam, Wii U, PSN: CoconutCrow
    3DS Friend Code: 4210-4889-9706
  • Options
    briemoo wrote: »
    Did anyone play Kid Icarus last PAX (well, if not East, what about Prime)? I bought it for $5 via Best Buy deal and gift cards and have yet to play.

I highly recommend Kid Icarus Uprising for multiplayer. I didn't even know about multiplayer on it until I went to NYCC and ended up placing in the top 10 for the tournament. It's pretty easy to get the hang of, but you've gotta have a good weapon beforehand or else you've got no chance.

Last year, there were a few Kid Icarus tournaments in the handheld lounge. I'd count on some more this year. c:

There are just too many good games to play anymore. I need to truck through Pokemon Black 2 to get to making a team and I have yet to open Kid Icarus that I got in like November.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    coconutcrowcoconutcrow Massachusetts, USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    -

coconutcrow on
    Steam, Wii U, PSN: CoconutCrow
    3DS Friend Code: 4210-4889-9706
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Kapol wrote: »

So what you're saying is that the game is a foot fetishist's worst nightmare? :P

I didn't notice this at first, but when I returned to the game after reading these posts, I couldn't unsee it. I look at their lack of feet in every scene. Why don't they have any feet?

Raughn on
  • Options
    KuzonKuzon Registered User regular
    I was never interested in Fire Emblem. I loved Final Fantasy Tactics though and saw that Fire Emblem Awakening was getting GREAT reviews. Decided to pick it up and boy am I glad! I love the game and can't wait to meet up with some people at PAX East to play!

• Options
    Tap Master CTap Master C Registered User regular
    Got my copy of Fire Emblem after 1 week+ of searching! My GameStop finally released the pre-ordered copies that weren't picked up, so I immediately jumped on in and got the last copy! That'll teach me not to pre-order something ever again... Can't wait to swap teams with you guys at PAX East!

PAX East 2013 Omeganaut

Hmm... I seem to have misplaced my signature...
  • Options
    I just realized another game pretty much every 3DS owner should have already as far as I know. LoZ: Four Swords Anniversary Edition is/was free, so there's a four-player game that most with the system should be able to play.