As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SYSTEMS ADMINS & IT MONKEYS] ...maybe they should have hired a professional

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That's why you use them. Penny-wise, dollar foolish yet again.

I would pay a premium of 200% if someone did it right and I never have to think about it again for 50 years.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Did I tell you guys that the handyman we used to rewire our conference room (to put a projector up) wasn't actually a certified electrician? Our building manager really didn't like that.

• Options
    gYIN6.png

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Hahaha you should see how the cat5 is wired out to our new warehouse.

Maybe I'll take a photo.

Be right back!

• Options
    Is there an easy way to find out what license key is being used for Office on particular machine?

• Options
  • Options
    nJASW.jpg

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Well, if I knew the customer had Pentagon contracts I'd probably overcharge them too.

• Options
    Well that's certainly a terrible way to splice together wires.

Also holy shit, who I haven't seen a cat5 crimped that bad since high school. You need like an half an inch at the most people! Get the wire under the bar on the end so it doesn't pull out!

• Options
    That's on the todo list when we have an actual data guy come in, instead of relying on the redneck handyman to do it.

Data guy already did some nice work for us, ran fiber to that warehouse to replace the bad 100+ feet of cat5.

Planning also contract him to clean up our server closet next year.

• Options
    I wish a data guy would clean up our telecom closet.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Bah, to get 2010 it's paid.

• Options
    I wish a data guy would clean up our telecom closet.

It's funny, because when they were originally shopping around the project to run cable and network our facilities, he put in a bid.

We went with the cheapest guy.

It shows.

It's good timing, too, since our ERP system isn't going to support Server 2003 in the new version, so we'll be able to order some rack server equipment when upgrading instead of another tower.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

Bah, to get 2010 it's paid.

I mean. You should keep better track of your stuff. Penny-wise, dollar foolish!

• Options
    In short, this is what us programmers like to call "the idiot tax."

• Options
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    nJASW.jpg

What in the fuck is that? Did someone have the balls to charge your company to do that?

• Options
    It appears so!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    HULK SMASH

• Options
    I've seen the same thing, they were charged for it. But they were cheap asses so they deserved it. Wanted someone to wire their building with cat5 for like $500.

The next lowest bid was something like $4000.

• Options
    Guess some dude brought his cat5 spool and wired the shit out of the place with a $50 box full of ends, taking in his cool $250 profit for a days work.

• Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    honky I know you aren't going to say the name of your company but what city do you live in? (I'm guessing with pentagon contracts its DC area?)

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    smokmnky wrote: »
    honky I know you aren't going to say the name of your company but what city do you live in? (I'm guessing with pentagon contracts its DC area?)

He's in Ohio. Don't remember where in Ohio though.

• Options
    nJASW.jpg

What in the fuck is that? Did someone have the balls to charge your company to do that?

Before my time.

It leads to a lot of really embarrassing moments for me when we discover shit like this. A lot of what I've been working on has been upgrading/improving our infrastructure. Cleaning out and setting up a rack in our server closet is a project in next year's budget

(we don't actually have departmental budgets but that is something for my boss to deal with)

• Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    smokmnky wrote: »

He's in Ohio. Don't remember where in Ohio though.

ah, well move to Bay Area. We're hiring

• Options
    Yeah it's Ohio. Not sure if we actually got a contract with the Pentagon or if they were here for something else all together.

• Options
    In short, this is what us programmers like to call "the idiot tax."

Oh I know. But the problem is that people have admin access to their computers and install whatever they want, whenever they want.

• Options

Boo, 64-bit is pay. :P

• Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Man, Sorry urahonky, that is just messed up. I know I'm underpaid for all the stuff I do, but I really can't complain since I get to use and gain experience in so many different areas.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Mei Hikari wrote: »

I am currently trying out belarc and it's pretty awesome. Just wish there was a way to have it run without installing.

• Options
    I know for a fact that my predecessor made $20k more than I am currently and wasn't doing nearly as much as I am to improve things.

This will be rectified in the new year, or so my boss tells me.

• Options
    8bitogre8bitogre San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    I know for a fact that my predecessor made $20k more than I am currently and wasn't doing nearly as much as I am to improve things.

This will be rectified in the new year, or so my boss tells me.

I've been made this promise before. It usually ended up with a 5k per year raise.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Would any of you sysadmin types be so kind as to share a sample resume? I'm in dire need of a change and it's been forever since I've done the job hunt thing.

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if this is really a Sys Admin type of question but...

Say I've got a website www.example.com with an IP address of 123.123.123.123

Now, I'm going to be replacing that website at some point with something newer. But I need to test first. So I create test.example.com

After I do some testing on my own, I want to involve other people with testing. So I tell people to edit their hosts file to now point 123.123.123.123 to test.example.com. Basically, overriding what they're getting from their DNS server.

This is what I'm being told by our Web Support department.

Now, since I'm the systems administrator for most of the macs we have here I'm a little wary of just messing with my clients /etc/hosts files if I don't have to. It doesn't feel right going in and "just add this to your hosts file" (or in my case /etc/hosts) to override "good" DNS just to see a test site.

Is the above, adding to the hosts file temporarily to see the test site, a common thing? What if the end user wants to compare www.example.com AND test.example.com at the same time? Am I just being overly paranoid? Our web support department hasn't exactly been stellar...ever.

Huh...
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I would instead give them a shortcut, maybe on the desktop, to test.example.com so they can see it without making disruptive changes to the way DNS handles it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Do you not have access to the in house DNS? Please tell me you have one. That should be as simple as setting up an A record on the DNS for your website registrar's records/local DNS.

bowen on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    In my experience, editing hosts file (while a privileged operation) is SOP in most organizations when beta testing. You would edit their hosts file to either: resolve www.example.com to the IP of server hosting test.example.com and have them close browsers, do an ipconfig /flushdns (or equivalent in OSX), and have them test www.example.com as normal since it now resolves to test server; OR resolve test.example.com to the IP of server hosting test.example.com and have them test test.example.com. The latter might be problematic if you also have to test SSL and don't have a cert for test.example.com. You can do self-signed but then you'll have to make sure each testing endpoint has the intermediate or root CA cert so the browser doesn't throw a security warning.

• Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Question for you VMware users.

I'm running version 8 of VMware workstation, and it's really a hassle to get Server 2012 and Win 8 installed on it. What are you guys using and if you're using VMware 9 is it fairly easy to set up? I only ask because I'm putting in a requisition for it and I don't know if I should wait for them to get it working better or what... I mainly use it for software testing not any sort of enterprise hosting shit.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    :lol:

Awful Business Owner calls on Wednesday, adamant that Former Employee's PC be set up for New Employee. But she doesn't want to have to bother re-creating shortcuts and setting things up, so let's just give her Old Employee's user account.

Silly, but whatever, she's a temp.

I get a voicemail last night that "OMG, this computer has an issue with Accounting Software and it needs to be resolved before New Employee starts tomorrow morning!!!" Now, we never do anything with Accounting Software; it's handled by Awful Business Owner and she works with their support. So I verify that the user has all the same permissions as everyone else, and beyond that there's nothing I can really do.

Called this morning, left a voicemail. Called again and spoke to New Employee, apparently a temp and the only one in the office for some reason, and learned that Awful Business Owner has left for vacation.

This discussion has been closed.